Derek Carver

Default Anybody know of a Newsgroup devoted to cooking?

Last week I thought I'd found one.

I now realise I most certainly haven't!

Derek
Julia Altshuler

Derek Carver wrote:
> Last week I thought I'd found one.
>
> I now realise I most certainly haven't!

Well tell us where the one you'd thought you'd found is. I like it
here. As long as I use my killfilter and delete whole threads without
reading, I get a lot of good information and discussion.

--Lia

zxcvbob

Derek Carver wrote:
> Last week I thought I'd found one.
>
> I now realise I most certainly haven't!
>
> Derek

rec.food.recipes HTH :-)

Bob
zxcvbob

Derek Carver wrote:
> Last week I thought I'd found one.
>
> I now realise I most certainly haven't!
>
> Derek

rec.food.recipes HTH :-)

Bob
Goomba38

Derek Carver wrote:
> Last week I thought I'd found one.
>
> I now realise I most certainly haven't!
>
> Derek

Actually.. this one is better than one just
focused only on "cooking".... here we discuss food
from farm to market, and the prep of food,
nutritional debates, restaurants, tools and tips
on food preparation or enjoyment. Just a LOT more
than just "cooking". It is more like sitting
around your kitchen table and letting it all flow
and fly. Just take what you want and ignore the rest.
Goomba

Goomba38

Derek Carver wrote:
> Last week I thought I'd found one.
>
> I now realise I most certainly haven't!
>
> Derek

Actually.. this one is better than one just
focused only on "cooking".... here we discuss food
from farm to market, and the prep of food,
nutritional debates, restaurants, tools and tips
on food preparation or enjoyment. Just a LOT more
than just "cooking". It is more like sitting
around your kitchen table and letting it all flow
and fly. Just take what you want and ignore the rest.
Goomba

Nexis

"Derek Carver" > wrote in message
> Last week I thought I'd found one.
>
> I now realise I most certainly haven't!
>
> Derek

Oh, wahh. If you can't handle making the decision to read or not read off
topic posts, then perhaps you're not ready for a real newsgroup yet.
Try rec.food.recipes. Nothing but recipes, all day every day.

kimberly

Nexis

"Derek Carver" > wrote in message
> Last week I thought I'd found one.
>
> I now realise I most certainly haven't!
>
> Derek

Oh, wahh. If you can't handle making the decision to read or not read off
topic posts, then perhaps you're not ready for a real newsgroup yet.
Try rec.food.recipes. Nothing but recipes, all day every day.

kimberly

jmcquown

Goomba38 wrote:
> Derek Carver wrote:
>> Last week I thought I'd found one.
>>
>> I now realise I most certainly haven't!
>>
>> Derek

> Actually.. this one is better than one just
> focused only on "cooking".... here we discuss food
> from farm to market, and the prep of food,
> nutritional debates, restaurants, tools and tips
> on food preparation or enjoyment. Just a LOT more
> than just "cooking". It is more like sitting
> around your kitchen table and letting it all flow
> and fly. Just take what you want and ignore the rest.
> Goomba

Unfortunately, all the political and religious posts (and cross-posts) have
made it nearly impossible for newbies to the group to figure out we really
*do* discuss everything you mentioned.

The OP (Derek) simply hasn't figured out how to killfile or ignore certain
threads yet.

Jill

jmcquown

Goomba38 wrote:
> Derek Carver wrote:
>> Last week I thought I'd found one.
>>
>> I now realise I most certainly haven't!
>>
>> Derek

> Actually.. this one is better than one just
> focused only on "cooking".... here we discuss food
> from farm to market, and the prep of food,
> nutritional debates, restaurants, tools and tips
> on food preparation or enjoyment. Just a LOT more
> than just "cooking". It is more like sitting
> around your kitchen table and letting it all flow
> and fly. Just take what you want and ignore the rest.
> Goomba

Unfortunately, all the political and religious posts (and cross-posts) have
made it nearly impossible for newbies to the group to figure out we really
*do* discuss everything you mentioned.

The OP (Derek) simply hasn't figured out how to killfile or ignore certain
threads yet.

Jill

notbob

On 2004-11-04, Derek Carver > wrote:

> Last week I thought I'd found one.
>
> I now realise I most certainly haven't!

I know it sometimes seems like this group is not cooking related. But, it's
because of all the USLESS POSTS LIKE YOURS!!!. ...bye-bye!

nb
notbob

On 2004-11-04, Derek Carver > wrote:

> Last week I thought I'd found one.
>
> I now realise I most certainly haven't!

I know it sometimes seems like this group is not cooking related. But, it's
because of all the USLESS POSTS LIKE YOURS!!!. ...bye-bye!

nb
Katra

In article <g7rid.463968$mD.179545@attbi_s02>,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> Derek Carver wrote:
> > Last week I thought I'd found one.
> >
> > I now realise I most certainly haven't!

> Well tell us where the one you'd thought you'd found is. I like it
> here. As long as I use my killfilter and delete whole threads without
> reading, I get a lot of good information and discussion.
>

> --Lia

Some people are too ingnorant to do that. ;-)
They have more fun griping and trying to "change" an
established group!

Kill filters are nice aren't they?
Using MT, I can kill threads without killing authors,
and that cleans up the screen nicely!

There is PLENTY of good cooking advice and information
here.

K.
Katra

Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> Derek Carver wrote:
> > Last week I thought I'd found one.
> >
> > I now realise I most certainly haven't!

> Well tell us where the one you'd thought you'd found is. I like it
> here. As long as I use my killfilter and delete whole threads without
> reading, I get a lot of good information and discussion.
>

> --Lia

Some people are too ingnorant to do that. ;-)
They have more fun griping and trying to "change" an
established group!

Kill filters are nice aren't they?
Using MT, I can kill threads without killing authors,
and that cleans up the screen nicely!

There is PLENTY of good cooking advice and information
here.

K.
Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, zxcvbob > said:

> You can filter out anything that is crossposted, or anything posted to
> more than 2 groups, etc. using the free software at <http://nfilter.org>
>
> It basicly sets up a local proxy server on your machine that can filter
> on any header, or a combination of headers. You can make the filters
> specific to one newsgroup, or to whatever heirarchy you want to filter.
>
> It works with any newsreader, but only on Windows systems. HTH :-)

I downloaded both versions, but keep getting "is not a valid Win32
application" error messages. Damn...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF

zxcvbob

Gal Called J.J. wrote:
> One time on Usenet, zxcvbob > said:
>

>>You can filter out anything that is crossposted, or anything posted to
>>more than 2 groups, etc. using the free software at <http://nfilter.org>
>>
>>It basicly sets up a local proxy server on your machine that can filter
>>on any header, or a combination of headers. You can make the filters
>>specific to one newsgroup, or to whatever heirarchy you want to filter.
>>
>>It works with any newsreader, but only on Windows systems. HTH :-)

> I downloaded both versions, but keep getting "is not a valid Win32
> application" error messages. Damn...

What version of Windoze are you using? Maybe this is a WinXP SP2 problem.

I'm not using nfilter now, but I've used it in the past on a Win2K
system and several Win98 systems. I don't know if I've ever used it on XP.

Bob
Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, zxcvbob > said:
> Gal Called J.J. wrote:
> > One time on Usenet, zxcvbob > said:

> >>You can filter out anything that is crossposted, or anything posted to
> >>more than 2 groups, etc. using the free software at <http://nfilter.org>
> >>
> >>It basicly sets up a local proxy server on your machine that can filter
> >>on any header, or a combination of headers. You can make the filters
> >>specific to one newsgroup, or to whatever heirarchy you want to filter.
> >>
> >>It works with any newsreader, but only on Windows systems. HTH :-)

> > I downloaded both versions, but keep getting "is not a valid Win32
> > application" error messages. Damn...

> What version of Windoze are you using? Maybe this is a WinXP SP2 problem.
>
> I'm not using nfilter now, but I've used it in the past on a Win2K
> system and several Win98 systems. I don't know if I've ever used it on XP.

Yeah, XP. I downloaded nfilter from another source
(http://www.netaxs.com/home/v/nfilter/) and got it to start
the installation process, but then got some other errors, so
I gave up. XP must be the problem. Oh well, thanks for the idea
anyway, Bob...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
Julia Altshuler

Katra wrote:

> Some people are too ingnorant to do that. ;-)
> They have more fun griping and trying to "change" an
> established group!
>
> Kill filters are nice aren't they?
> Using MT, I can kill threads without killing authors,
> and that cleans up the screen nicely!
>
> There is PLENTY of good cooking advice and information
> here.

Some people have all the luck. I don't have a proper killfilter, but
that doesn't mean I can't delete threads and senders with abandon. I
feel like a pirate. Hah! Take that! And that and that and that!
While wielding my sword.

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

Katra wrote:

> Some people are too ingnorant to do that. ;-)
> They have more fun griping and trying to "change" an
> established group!
>
> Kill filters are nice aren't they?
> Using MT, I can kill threads without killing authors,
> and that cleans up the screen nicely!
>
> There is PLENTY of good cooking advice and information
> here.

Some people have all the luck. I don't have a proper killfilter, but
that doesn't mean I can't delete threads and senders with abandon. I
feel like a pirate. Hah! Take that! And that and that and that!
While wielding my sword.

--Lia

RMiller

>Some people have all the luck. I don't have a proper killfilter, but
>that doesn't mean I can't delete threads and senders with abandon. I
>feel like a pirate. Hah! Take that! And that and that and that!
>While wielding my sword.
>
>--Lia

All the years I have been posting here, I have never killfiled anyone.... Until
the other day. I had finally had it and killfiled someone, then I discovered,
that it is almost impossible to get rid of this person.

Rosie

Katra

In article <vOzid.570121$8_6.268999@attbi_s04>,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > Some people are too ingnorant to do that. ;-)
> > They have more fun griping and trying to "change" an
> > established group!
> >
> > Kill filters are nice aren't they?
> > Using MT, I can kill threads without killing authors,
> > and that cleans up the screen nicely!
> >
> > There is PLENTY of good cooking advice and information
> > here.

> Some people have all the luck. I don't have a proper killfilter, but
> that doesn't mean I can't delete threads and senders with abandon. I
> feel like a pirate. Hah! Take that! And that and that and that!
> While wielding my sword.
>
> --Lia

<lol> I feel the same way when I plonk subjects/threads...

You can always DL MT newswatcher. :-)
sf

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 00:28:11 GMT, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > Some people are too ingnorant to do that. ;-)
> > They have more fun griping and trying to "change" an
> > established group!
> >
> > Kill filters are nice aren't they?
> > Using MT, I can kill threads without killing authors,
> > and that cleans up the screen nicely!
> >
> > There is PLENTY of good cooking advice and information
> > here.

> Some people have all the luck. I don't have a proper killfilter, but
> that doesn't mean I can't delete threads and senders with abandon. I
> feel like a pirate. Hah! Take that! And that and that and that!
> While wielding my sword.

I like your way, which is my way... the wimps way out is by
filtering, but we DELETE. Yes, there is much more power
with that method. <G>

sf
sf

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 00:28:11 GMT, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > Some people are too ingnorant to do that. ;-)
> > They have more fun griping and trying to "change" an
> > established group!
> >
> > Kill filters are nice aren't they?
> > Using MT, I can kill threads without killing authors,
> > and that cleans up the screen nicely!
> >
> > There is PLENTY of good cooking advice and information
> > here.

> Some people have all the luck. I don't have a proper killfilter, but
> that doesn't mean I can't delete threads and senders with abandon. I
> feel like a pirate. Hah! Take that! And that and that and that!
> While wielding my sword.

I like your way, which is my way... the wimps way out is by
filtering, but we DELETE. Yes, there is much more power
with that method. <G>

sf
Julia Altshuler

sf wrote:

> I like your way, which is my way... the wimps' way out is by
> filtering, but we DELETE. Yes, there is much more power
> with that method. <G>

Oh, I'd go for the wimps' way if it weren't for the technical
difficulties. The funny thing about ignoring unwanted threads and
people is that there's no way to know if a post goes unanswered (by me)
because I haven't seen it or because I'm interested but have nothing to
say. I like that ambiguity.

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

sf wrote:

> I like your way, which is my way... the wimps' way out is by
> filtering, but we DELETE. Yes, there is much more power
> with that method. <G>

Oh, I'd go for the wimps' way if it weren't for the technical
difficulties. The funny thing about ignoring unwanted threads and
people is that there's no way to know if a post goes unanswered (by me)
because I haven't seen it or because I'm interested but have nothing to
say. I like that ambiguity.

--Lia

blake murphy

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 00:28:11 GMT, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>Katra wrote:
>
>> Some people are too ingnorant to do that. ;-)
>> They have more fun griping and trying to "change" an
>> established group!
>>
>> Kill filters are nice aren't they?
>> Using MT, I can kill threads without killing authors,
>> and that cleans up the screen nicely!
>>
>> There is PLENTY of good cooking advice and information
>> here.

>Some people have all the luck. I don't have a proper killfilter, but
>that doesn't mean I can't delete threads and senders with abandon. I
>feel like a pirate. Hah! Take that! And that and that and that!
>While wielding my sword.
>
>--Lia

when i went to vote, i thought i should yell out 'take that, you son
of a bitch!' when indicating my choice. but as it turned out, i was
too polite.

so kerry's loss may be my fault.

your pal,
blake
blake murphy

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 00:28:11 GMT, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>Katra wrote:
>
>> Some people are too ingnorant to do that. ;-)
>> They have more fun griping and trying to "change" an
>> established group!
>>
>> Kill filters are nice aren't they?
>> Using MT, I can kill threads without killing authors,
>> and that cleans up the screen nicely!
>>
>> There is PLENTY of good cooking advice and information
>> here.

>Some people have all the luck. I don't have a proper killfilter, but
>that doesn't mean I can't delete threads and senders with abandon. I
>feel like a pirate. Hah! Take that! And that and that and that!
>While wielding my sword.
>
>--Lia

when i went to vote, i thought i should yell out 'take that, you son
of a bitch!' when indicating my choice. but as it turned out, i was
too polite.

so kerry's loss may be my fault.

your pal,
blake
Ronk55406

Derek; try going to 'AOL's Special Interests; 'Food Chat Room.'

We do lots of chatter regarding cooking, eating, and making Foods. Many
Chatters are/were chefs, at home cooks, etc., but in general, Foodies!

Ron Kaster
'CIA' grad. 1974-76.

New newsgroup TOSEM General Cooking 0 06-08-2016 04:40 AM
deVoted to u Peter Lucas[_15_] General Cooking 0 08-09-2010 11:23 PM
OMG!!!! The cooking Newsgroup just pickled Barb!!!! Virginia Tadrzynski Preserving 18 18-11-2007 01:00 PM
New newsgroup Cooking updated daily leeran General Cooking 0 06-04-2006 07:32 AM
From another newsgroup--Mexican cooking BoboBonobo General Cooking 1 08-02-2006 06:50 PM