Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The basket

When we go off on longish haul car trips, we always take a basket. Tehrmos,
cups, spoons, tea bags, instant coffee, sugar, biscuits (aka 'cookies'
elsewhere in the English speaking world), sandwiches, cold water and milk.
And sometimes treats like lollies (aka 'sweets' or 'candy') or chips (aka
'crisps').

This basket routine seems to be similarly done amongst other coutnry people
we know but not something that city people seem to do. Does anyone else do
this?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:33:39 PM UTC-5, Farm1 wrote:
> When we go off on longish haul car trips, we always take a basket. Tehrmos,
>
> cups, spoons, tea bags, instant coffee, sugar, biscuits (aka 'cookies'
>
> elsewhere in the English speaking world), sandwiches, cold water and milk.
>
> And sometimes treats like lollies (aka 'sweets' or 'candy') or chips (aka
>
> 'crisps').
>

> This basket routine seems to be similarly done amongst other coutnry people
>
> we know but not something that city people seem to do. Does anyone else do
>
> this?

No. Die.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 29, 3:33*pm, "Farm1" > wrote:
> When we go off on longish haul car trips, we always take a basket. *Tehrmos,
> cups, spoons, tea bags, instant coffee, sugar, biscuits (aka 'cookies'
> elsewhere in the English speaking world), sandwiches, cold water and milk..
> And sometimes treats like lollies (aka 'sweets' or 'candy') or chips (aka
> 'crisps').
>
> This basket routine seems to be similarly done amongst other coutnry people
> we know but not something that city people seem to do. *Does anyone else do
> this?

No. you are suffering from terminal uniqueness.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/29/2013 6:33 PM, Farm1 wrote:
> When we go off on longish haul car trips, we always take a basket. Tehrmos,
> cups, spoons, tea bags, instant coffee, sugar, biscuits (aka 'cookies'
> elsewhere in the English speaking world), sandwiches, cold water and milk.
> And sometimes treats like lollies (aka 'sweets' or 'candy') or chips (aka
> 'crisps').
>
> This basket routine seems to be similarly done amongst other coutnry people
> we know but not something that city people seem to do. Does anyone else do
> this?

We do. But these days, it's not a basket, it's an insulated zippered
carrier.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-01-30 00:14:26 +0000, S Viemeister said:

> On 1/29/2013 6:33 PM, Farm1 wrote:
>> When we go off on longish haul car trips, we always take a basket. Tehrmos,
>> cups, spoons, tea bags, instant coffee, sugar, biscuits (aka 'cookies'
>> elsewhere in the English speaking world), sandwiches, cold water and milk.
>> And sometimes treats like lollies (aka 'sweets' or 'candy') or chips (aka
>> 'crisps').
>>
>> This basket routine seems to be similarly done amongst other coutnry people
>> we know but not something that city people seem to do. Does anyone else do
>> this?
>>

> We do. But these days, it's not a basket, it's an insulated zippered carrier.

We have naugahyde thing with expandable sides that were fully expanded
when we got it. It has some of the things mentioned above (no water,
cookies, sugar or instant coffee). We have some camping plates, plastic
wine glasses, a goodly sized table-cloth/picnic blanket, a small and
very sharp Japanese knife. Every once in a while we stop with a lot of
gourmet type foods and stock secondary stuff in there, snack-sized
shrink-wrapped vursts, mustards, crackers. Things that can keep
indefinitely.

When we decide to use it we most frequently go to an interesting deli,
epicerie or "world food" goodies of one kind or other, stock up for day
or afternoon's feed, get a bottle of wine or some German beers and off
we go.

We use to do it far more frequently but in recent years it's diminished
greatly. But any time we're going on a "longish car trip", yes--we'd
certainly have that in the car.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/29/2013 8:35 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 10:33:39 +1100, Farm1 wrote:
>
>> This basket routine seems to be similarly done amongst other coutnry people
>> we know but not something that city people seem to do. Does anyone else do
>> this?

> I take money, which buys me the all you can eat clam strip platter at
> Howard Johnson's.

That's why we pack our own...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:33:39 PM UTC-5, Farm1 wrote:
>> When we go off on longish haul car trips, we always take a basket.
>> Tehrmos,
>>
>> cups, spoons, tea bags, instant coffee, sugar, biscuits (aka 'cookies'
>>
>> elsewhere in the English speaking world), sandwiches, cold water and
>> milk.
>>
>> And sometimes treats like lollies (aka 'sweets' or 'candy') or chips (aka
>>
>> 'crisps').
>>

>> This basket routine seems to be similarly done amongst other coutnry
>> people
>>
>> we know but not something that city people seem to do. Does anyone else
>> do
>>
>> this?

> No. Die.

LOL.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemo" > wrote in message
On Jan 29, 3:33 pm, "Farm1" > wrote:
> When we go off on longish haul car trips, we always take a basket.
> Tehrmos,
> cups, spoons, tea bags, instant coffee, sugar, biscuits (aka 'cookies'
> elsewhere in the English speaking world), sandwiches, cold water and milk.
> And sometimes treats like lollies (aka 'sweets' or 'candy') or chips (aka
> 'crisps').
>
> This basket routine seems to be similarly done amongst other coutnry
> people
> we know but not something that city people seem to do. Does anyone else do
> this?

No. you are suffering from terminal uniqueness.
____________________________
Nah! Other coutnry families do it too so we're hardly unique. It sure
beats eating the kind or stuff available along the road but I don't know if
it's something that only country people do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 1/29/2013 6:33 PM, Farm1 wrote:
>> When we go off on longish haul car trips, we always take a basket.
>> Tehrmos,
>> cups, spoons, tea bags, instant coffee, sugar, biscuits (aka 'cookies'
>> elsewhere in the English speaking world), sandwiches, cold water and
>> milk.
>> And sometimes treats like lollies (aka 'sweets' or 'candy') or chips (aka
>> 'crisps').
>>
>> This basket routine seems to be similarly done amongst other coutnry
>> people
>> we know but not something that city people seem to do. Does anyone else
>> do
>> this?
>>

> We do. But these days, it's not a basket, it's an insulated zippered
> carrier.

Ah nice to know. We carry an insulated carrier too but that has the cold
stuff in it. The basket is for the thermos,cups, spoons etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 1/29/2013 8:35 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 10:33:39 +1100, Farm1 wrote:
>>
>>> This basket routine seems to be similarly done amongst other coutnry
>>> people
>>> we know but not something that city people seem to do. Does anyone else
>>> do
>>> this?

>> I take money, which buys me the all you can eat clam strip platter at
>> Howard Johnson's.
>>

> That's why we pack our own...

Indeed! The possibility of being able to buy any decent food on a long car
trip would be lovely, but I know from experience, it's a fantasy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> When we go off on longish haul car trips, we always take a basket. Tehrmos,
> cups, spoons, tea bags, instant coffee, sugar, biscuits (aka 'cookies'
> elsewhere in the English speaking world), sandwiches, cold water and milk.
> And sometimes treats like lollies (aka 'sweets' or 'candy') or chips (aka
> 'crisps').
>
> This basket routine seems to be similarly done amongst other coutnry people
> we know but not something that city people seem to do. Does anyone else do
> this?

I'm a city person, so the answer is no. I'm still wondering what the
heck motivated you to do 1500km in 48 hours? You just had time to
catch some sleep and turn around for the return trip. I hate spending
all that time in a car with no reward.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Farm1 wrote about bringing a basket of provisions on a road trip:

> It sure beats eating the kind or stuff available along the road

I think that depends on exactly where you are. Would you do the same thing
if you were driving through the countryside of France, Spain, or Italy? Here
in Northern California, there is some *great* food to be had along the road
if you're within about 75 miles of the coast (which includes "wine
country"). There's still great food further inland, but you have to know
where to find it, and it's not usually anywhere close to the major highways.
Some posters here have lamented the absence of *any* decent restaurants
within a two-hour drive of their houses. (IIRC one was in the Oklahoma
panhandle and another was in Iowa.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Farm1 wrote:
> When we go off on longish haul car trips, we always take a basket.
> Tehrmos, cups, spoons, tea bags, instant coffee, sugar, biscuits (aka
> 'cookies' elsewhere in the English speaking world), sandwiches, cold
> water and milk. And sometimes treats like lollies (aka 'sweets' or
> 'candy') or chips (aka 'crisps').
>
> This basket routine seems to be similarly done amongst other coutnry
> people we know but not something that city people seem to do. Does
> anyone else do this?

Not a basket but I do always take food. I have an insulated bag from Built
NY that always stays in my van. During the colder months I keep some
bottles of diet soda in there. Maybe some water. But during colder months
I always keep a case of water in the trunk. If I fear freezing weather, I
will usually take the beverages out though. In the bag, I always keep some
craisins, Cornnuts and peanut butter filled pretzels.

When my daughter is coming with me and we might be out for a while, I pack
cheese and apples for her. I always wind up packing a lot extra because if
we go to see my parents, they will usually want some as well. And if my
husband is along, he will want them.

If we do not have a planned restaurant stop and if we think meal time will
roll around, then I will usually pack something. Usually sandwiches, baby
carrots and apples.

Now if we are going off somewhere with my husband driving and we don't
really know where all he will be taking us, I might then take shelf stable
stuff like tortilla chips, a bag of tortillas and a can or two of refried or
kidney beans. Maybe even a can of green beans. He has no food issues
(aside from the gout that he refuses to think is food related) and can grab
something to eat anywhere. But daughter and I are on special diets and
restaurant food is not always suitable for us. I also always keep one of
her old lunch boxes in the back of the van. In it are a couple of chip
clips, plastic bags and a can opener. I think there may even be a little
sharp knife in there. Can't remember because we haven't had to use the bag
for a long time.

Before my dad's health declined, I would often pack a picnic lunch for all
of us if we were going several hours away to the zoo or some such place. I
would usually buy assorted things from the salad and cold food bars at
Central Market. Like potato salad, beet salad, falafel, hummus, cooked
chicken breasts and maybe a bag of chips, some cheese and fruit. Also
drinks. I would keep this in a large insulated bag (I have serveral of
these) or if it was a hot day, a larger, hard sided cooler until we got
there. Then I would take the food to the picnic table in plastic shopping
bags that could be thrown away after we ate. That way we wouldn't have to
trek way back to the van to put something back.

I like to plan these sorts of things in advance and always try to. In my
mind there is no reason to eat crap food just because you are out. I know a
lot of people like to use this as an excuse for eating the crap food. But I
don't buy that. Yes, once in a while something will crop up where you'll
have to eat somewhere that you didn't plan to or just go hungry. But if it
is a planned outting, then I either research the restaurants in advance and
find something suitable or I bring food.

But really I can usually find suitable food in a grocery store if need be.
We once took a road trip down the coast in CA. I had wanted to eat lunch at
this little diner that we all liked. They had the *best* salads in that
place. I don't know how they did it but they shaved the red onions paper
thin. Onions can sometimes be overwhelming but I think Scott Conant would
even like these! My daughter even loved their salads and in those days she
wasn't much of a salad eater unless the greens were baby Swiss chard. She
loved that stuff.

But for some reason, my husband wouldn't stop there. I think the timing was
off for him or something. And he continued to drive further and further to
places we'd never been before. We could only find fast food places and I
refuse to eat at those type of places, with a few exceptions. Finally he
insisted that we try this really foo foo little place. Horribly expensive.
He seems to be one of those people who thinks expensive is better. But they
didn't have any sort of food on the menu that a kid would eat. Nor did they
have anything that I would like to eat. I made the mistake of ordering a
fried olive platter. I surmised that since daughter and I liked olives, we
might like this. We did not and neither did my husband. I just think there
are some things that shouldn't be fried. And thankfully I've never seen
that on a menu since. This place did have salads on the menu but I was
unwilling to pay those prices. Husband did eat something. Can't remember
what. But his meal and our fried olives plus three drinks cost me what it
would normally cost for a dinner for the three of us in one of the
restaurants we normally frequent. And this was lunch!

We wound up finding a little mom and pop type place. I had packed baby
carrots and in this place I bought some apples and cheese and something
else. Can't remember what now. Pretzels or bread or something. Daughter
and I wound up eating our lunch on the beach. It was good food and it was
far cheaper than that restaurant.

I don't mind going out to eat if I know I am going to get food food there.
I don't even mind paying a high price for something that is expeptional such
as something you don't commonly see elsewhere or that is in some way
special. Like cassoulet because it takes a long time to cook. But I don't
like getting crappy food in a restaurant, especially it is overpriced crappy
food!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Farm1 wrote:
> "Chemo" > wrote in message
> On Jan 29, 3:33 pm, "Farm1" > wrote:
>> When we go off on longish haul car trips, we always take a basket.
>> Tehrmos,
>> cups, spoons, tea bags, instant coffee, sugar, biscuits (aka
>> 'cookies' elsewhere in the English speaking world), sandwiches, cold
>> water and milk. And sometimes treats like lollies (aka 'sweets' or
>> 'candy') or chips (aka 'crisps').
>>
>> This basket routine seems to be similarly done amongst other coutnry
>> people
>> we know but not something that city people seem to do. Does anyone
>> else do this?

> No. you are suffering from terminal uniqueness.
> ____________________________
> Nah! Other coutnry families do it too so we're hardly unique. It
> sure beats eating the kind or stuff available along the road but I
> don't know if it's something that only country people do.

It's not. I grew up doing this mainly because at some points during my
childhood we were somewhat poor. Odd thing because my dad had a very good
job but the company he worked for was known to cut hours and we just never
knew when this might happen. They were also notorious for layoffs which is
why I never applied for a job there even though my dad tried to get me to do
it.

So at times we went out to eat quite a lot and at other times we simply
could not. But my dad liked to take road trips. So on a Friday, my mom
would bake two meatloaves. One to eat then and one to eat cold, the next
day on white bread. I always had mine with "butter" which was really Blue
Bonnet margarine. My brother had Miracle Whip on his. Not sure what my
parents had but my dad likely had hot mustard. We also had apples or pears,
carrot and celery sticks and maybe some chips and cookies. My mom would
pack snacks too and that was usually pretzels or crackers. And lots of diet
soda. When I was a kid we had Shasta.

As a teen, my friends and I often did similar. One of the boys usually had
a pocket knife on him. We'd stop somewhere and get apples, cheese and
bread. And if we could manage it, a bottle of wine. Shhhh... Don't tell
my mom! We actually didn't get the wine too often but we did get it once.
Those kinds of meals are the best ones to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Farm1 wrote:
> "S Viemeister" > wrote in message
>> On 1/29/2013 6:33 PM, Farm1 wrote:
>>> When we go off on longish haul car trips, we always take a basket.
>>> Tehrmos,
>>> cups, spoons, tea bags, instant coffee, sugar, biscuits (aka
>>> 'cookies' elsewhere in the English speaking world), sandwiches,
>>> cold water and milk.
>>> And sometimes treats like lollies (aka 'sweets' or 'candy') or
>>> chips (aka 'crisps').
>>>
>>> This basket routine seems to be similarly done amongst other coutnry
>>> people
>>> we know but not something that city people seem to do. Does anyone
>>> else do
>>> this?
>>>

>> We do. But these days, it's not a basket, it's an insulated zippered
>> carrier.

> Ah nice to know. We carry an insulated carrier too but that has the
> cold stuff in it. The basket is for the thermos,cups, spoons etc.

The whole back of my van is loaded with bags and stuff. We're very green
here so the stores are all urging us to use reusable bags. I used to buy
them for every store but I am phasing those out in lieu of the more
expensive thick plastic ones that last longer and can be washed more easily.
Most of the cloth ones just fall apart when you wash them. But I do have a
nice Target bag made of a thick fabric that washes well.

Because we travel to several different cities for food, insulated bags are a
must. I have two Rachael Ray bags from Costco that are great! They'll keep
food really cold for three or more hours with no ice. I also have a round,
pop up bag that was a gift. I think it is more intended for picnics. Came
with some ice mats. And I have a couple of those cheapo silver things that
are better than nothing. Then if need be, I have a couple of coolers. But
I rarely take those. Only if we plan to go to the military commisary
because it can be many hours before we get home from there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 10:33:39 +1100, Farm1 wrote:
>
>> This basket routine seems to be similarly done amongst other coutnry
>> people we know but not something that city people seem to do. Does
>> anyone else do this?

> I take money, which buys me the all you can eat clam strip platter at
> Howard Johnson's.

I didn't know those were still in business!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

S Viemeister wrote:
> On 1/29/2013 8:35 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 10:33:39 +1100, Farm1 wrote:
>>
>>> This basket routine seems to be similarly done amongst other
>>> coutnry people we know but not something that city people seem to
>>> do. Does anyone else do this?

>> I take money, which buys me the all you can eat clam strip platter at
>> Howard Johnson's.
>>

> That's why we pack our own...

You pack clam strips? Wouldn't they get soggy?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 10:33:39 +1100, "Farm1" >
> wrote:
>
>> When we go off on longish haul car trips, we always take a basket.
>> Tehrmos, cups, spoons, tea bags, instant coffee, sugar, biscuits
>> (aka 'cookies' elsewhere in the English speaking world), sandwiches,
>> cold water and milk. And sometimes treats like lollies (aka 'sweets'
>> or 'candy') or chips (aka 'crisps').
>>
>> This basket routine seems to be similarly done amongst other coutnry
>> people we know but not something that city people seem to do. Does
>> anyone else do this?
>>

> I'm a city person, so the answer is no. I'm still wondering what the
> heck motivated you to do 1500km in 48 hours? You just had time to
> catch some sleep and turn around for the return trip. I hate spending
> all that time in a car with no reward.

I guess I missed that part! I know some people do that sort of stuff but I
never have. We had neighbors who went from CA to some other state (can't
remember where now) and they'd get their kids up at 4:00 a.m. in their
pajamas and start their trip. By the time they stopped for breakfast
(always at the same place), the kids would be awake. They'd change clothes
in the van then go eat.

The drive took them two days and it was near continuous, only making planned
stops at the same places each time for food and gas. They did pack stuff
for lunch on the first day and also when they returned home but ate the
other meals out. The parents took turns sleeping and driving. And when
they got back they always complained about how grueling it was.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Farm1 wrote about bringing a basket of provisions on a road trip:
>
>> It sure beats eating the kind or stuff available along the road

> I think that depends on exactly where you are. Would you do the same
> thing if you were driving through the countryside of France, Spain,
> or Italy? Here in Northern California, there is some *great* food to
> be had along the road if you're within about 75 miles of the coast
> (which includes "wine country"). There's still great food further
> inland, but you have to know where to find it, and it's not usually
> anywhere close to the major highways. Some posters here have lamented
> the absence of *any* decent restaurants within a two-hour drive of
> their houses. (IIRC one was in the Oklahoma panhandle and another was
> in Iowa.)

We actually got *really* good food when we were in Iowa. I can't remember
now what city we were in though. But I did feel sorry for the waitress who
didn't seem to make much money at her job, even though she was good at it.
She said she lived on a farm and at home they had to eat bologana and mayo
sandwiches most of the time. I did think that was a bit odd because it was
summer. We always had a large garden when I was growing up and my
grandparents had a farm and there was always a lot of fresh vegetables,
freshly churned butter and plenty of variety during the summer. But then I
don't know what kind of farm she lived on. They might have grown something
inedible like cotton or tobacco.

Oklahoma is a different matter. Been there many times but don't remember
eating in a restaurant while we were there. Then again, I do have relatives
there and when we were visiting, we always seemed to dine at someone's
house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/29/2013 11:42 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 10:33:39 +1100, "Farm1" >
> wrote:
>
>> When we go off on longish haul car trips, we always take a basket. Tehrmos,
>> cups, spoons, tea bags, instant coffee, sugar, biscuits (aka 'cookies'
>> elsewhere in the English speaking world), sandwiches, cold water and milk.
>> And sometimes treats like lollies (aka 'sweets' or 'candy') or chips (aka
>> 'crisps').
>>
>> This basket routine seems to be similarly done amongst other coutnry people
>> we know but not something that city people seem to do. Does anyone else do
>> this?
>>

> I'm a city person, so the answer is no. I'm still wondering what the
> heck motivated you to do 1500km in 48 hours? You just had time to
> catch some sleep and turn around for the return trip. I hate spending
> all that time in a car with no reward.

I guess when you live in the boonies you have to plan for meals on the
go. City girl here, too, and I couldn't imagine packing a basket to go
on a road trip. A picnic, sure, but just to drive somewhere and then
back? Nope.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/30/2013 12:42 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> The whole back of my van is loaded with bags and stuff. We're very green
> here so the stores are all urging us to use reusable bags. I used to buy
> them for every store but I am phasing those out in lieu of the more
> expensive thick plastic ones that last longer and can be washed more easily.
> Most of the cloth ones just fall apart when you wash them. But I do have a
> nice Target bag made of a thick fabric that washes well.

Do you use the proper bags for each store you shop in? ie, you don't
use a Piggly Wiggly bag when you go to Costco?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 1/29/2013 11:42 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 10:33:39 +1100, "Farm1" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> When we go off on longish haul car trips, we always take a basket.
>>> Tehrmos,
>>> cups, spoons, tea bags, instant coffee, sugar, biscuits (aka 'cookies'
>>> elsewhere in the English speaking world), sandwiches, cold water and
>>> milk.
>>> And sometimes treats like lollies (aka 'sweets' or 'candy') or chips
>>> (aka
>>> 'crisps').
>>>
>>> This basket routine seems to be similarly done amongst other coutnry
>>> people
>>> we know but not something that city people seem to do. Does anyone else
>>> do
>>> this?
>>>

>> I'm a city person, so the answer is no. I'm still wondering what the
>> heck motivated you to do 1500km in 48 hours? You just had time to
>> catch some sleep and turn around for the return trip. I hate spending
>> all that time in a car with no reward.
>>

> I guess when you live in the boonies you have to plan for meals on the go.
> City girl here, too, and I couldn't imagine packing a basket to go on a
> road trip. A picnic, sure, but just to drive somewhere and then back?
> Nope.

Heck, I did it when we went to the Presidio. It wasn't so much of a drive
in miles from Alameda but it could take a long time getting there and back
if the traffic was bad and I could have to wait in line a long time at the
commissary. The only places they had to eat at that time were a pizza place
and a hot dog place. I don't eat hot dogs and the pizza was no good for my
blood sugar. So I did pack things like carrots and cheese to eat on the way
there and then I'd usually buy something at one of the stores to round out
the meal. Sure there are plenty of places to eat in San Francisco but we
just couldn't take the time to do that because we had groceries to get home.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 1/30/2013 12:42 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> The whole back of my van is loaded with bags and stuff. We're very green
>> here so the stores are all urging us to use reusable bags. I used to buy
>> them for every store but I am phasing those out in lieu of the more
>> expensive thick plastic ones that last longer and can be washed more
>> easily.
>> Most of the cloth ones just fall apart when you wash them. But I do have
>> nice Target bag made of a thick fabric that washes well.

> Do you use the proper bags for each store you shop in? ie, you don't use
> a Piggly Wiggly bag when you go to Costco?

Originally I did try to match the bag to the store. But I soon realized
that didn't matter at all. I pretty much only use the Costco bags for
Costco if I use them at all, and I don't even take them into the store. The
bags I have are *huge*. So big that when filled we sometimes can't lift
them. Of course it depends on what we put in there. Normally when shopping
at Costco I have frozen or refrigerated stuff and we are not going straight
home so I have to put it in insulated bags. In fact unless it is the dead
of winter, it is such a long drive from our house that I need the insulated
bags even if I am going straight home.

I do try to use the Target bags when at Target because some of their
employees aren't the brightest people and other bags only tend to confuse
them. Even with their bags I often still have to remind them to give me the
bag discount and a few times I've even had to show them how to ring it up.
I've been sorely tempted in such cases to tell them that I am also entitled
to get my order for half price or something. *snicker* No, I wouldn't do
that but it just floors me to see that they take my word for things and
never bother to call someone to see what the protocol is!

I don't always use the Winco bags. The set of those that I bought is not
what I thought it would be. It was on clearance. It contained two rather
large bags (bigger than your standard bag but smaller than Costco) and one
Costco sized bag. That huge bag really isn't much good to us and sometimes
even the other bags just don't work well unless they are filled with really
light stuff like paper goods. Plus you have to bag your own stuff in there.
And sometimes it just seems like it is quicker to use their bags than to
fuss with the ones you bring in. So if it is raining really hard, sometimes
we will just use their bags because we don't want to get soaked, fishing the
other bags out of the back of the van.

I also try to use their bags at Dollar Tree, the Dollar/party store and
Value Village because if I bring in any other bags they aren't always sure
that I brought them in because they do sell such bags.

And I have learned that at Walmart, any bags that I bring in will only
confuse them. Not that I go there often. I don't really like that store.
So if I do go there, I just get the plastic bags even though I do own one or
two of theirs.

But at any other grocery store I go to, or even the drugstore, I just grab
whatever bag is handy. They never seem to care if the bag has a name on it
or what kind of bag it is. I will however grab "their" bag if I have one
and if I see it readily available. Unless of course it is raining hard and
then anything will do.

I do have to remember to bring a bag always when I shop in Edmonds because
they have banned the plastic shopping bags. They highly encourage you to
bring your own bags there but they will give you a paper one if you forget,
or simply just want the paper one.

Not sure how it's all going to play out in Seattle. They're going to be
banning the plastic ones too but not sure if that has started or not. There
has been talk of some stores charging for paper ones.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" wrote in message
eb.com...

On 1/29/2013 11:42 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 10:33:39 +1100, "Farm1" >
> wrote:
>
>> When we go off on longish haul car trips, we always take a basket.
>> Tehrmos,
>> cups, spoons, tea bags, instant coffee, sugar, biscuits (aka 'cookies'
>> elsewhere in the English speaking world), sandwiches, cold water and
>> milk.
>> And sometimes treats like lollies (aka 'sweets' or 'candy') or chips (aka
>> 'crisps').
>>
>> This basket routine seems to be similarly done amongst other coutnry
>> people
>> we know but not something that city people seem to do. Does anyone else
>> do
>> this?
>>

> I'm a city person, so the answer is no. I'm still wondering what the
> heck motivated you to do 1500km in 48 hours? You just had time to
> catch some sleep and turn around for the return trip. I hate spending
> all that time in a car with no reward.

I guess when you live in the boonies you have to plan for meals on the
go. City girl here, too, and I couldn't imagine packing a basket to go
on a road trip. A picnic, sure, but just to drive somewhere and then
back? Nope.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We used to do that when we were going to be gone overnight, but not for
shorter trips. For example, my sister and I used to drive from Texas to
Ohio every summer, stay about 3 weeks, then return. We packed a cooler with
a lunch for the first day and various types of snack foods (cheese,
cauliflower tidbits, carrots, etc.). We also had some "extras" that did not
need to be in the cooler--nuts, etc.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-01-30 04:10:25 +0000, Farm1 said:

> "S Viemeister" > wrote in message

>>> I take money, which buys me the all you can eat clam strip platter at
>>> Howard Johnson's.
>>>

>> That's why we pack our own...

> Indeed! The possibility of being able to buy any decent food on a long
> car trip would be lovely, but I know from experience, it's a fantasy.

No decent food on a road trip? You're driving around the wrong area, I guess.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-01-30 05:05:43 +0000, Sqwertz said:

>> That's why we pack our own...

> OK, so I was being sarcastic. But if we're going to be driving
> to/from a place we don't often visit, I'm going to be in the lookout
> for a new, unique restaurant that I don't have near my home. I'm not
> looking for stuff that I *brought* from home and can have any 'ol day.
>
> If I *did* happen to pass a Howard Johnson's (VERY unlikely) I
> actually *would* stop in for some fried clam strips.

Well sure.

If I am on a "longish car haul" I certainly would be eating everything
out of a basket. I mention that we like to take a picnic basket and we
like to picnic. But we also like to stop in to curious or interesting
road-side places and have some good eats too, whether it's deep-fried
objects (d.g. HJ clams) or mom-and-pop blue plates--should be be so
lucky.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

"Cheryl" wrote in message
eb.com...

On 1/29/2013 11:42 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 10:33:39 +1100, "Farm1" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> When we go off on longish haul car trips, we always take a basket. Tehrmos,
>>> cups, spoons, tea bags, instant coffee, sugar, biscuits (aka 'cookies'
>>> elsewhere in the English speaking world), sandwiches, cold water and milk.
>>> And sometimes treats like lollies (aka 'sweets' or 'candy') or chips (aka
>>> 'crisps').
>>>
>>> This basket routine seems to be similarly done amongst other coutnry people
>>> we know but not something that city people seem to do. Does anyone else do
>>> this?
>>>

>> I'm a city person, so the answer is no. I'm still wondering what the
>> heck motivated you to do 1500km in 48 hours? You just had time to
>> catch some sleep and turn around for the return trip. I hate spending
>> all that time in a car with no reward.
>>

> I guess when you live in the boonies you have to plan for meals on the
> go. City girl here, too, and I couldn't imagine packing a basket to go
> on a road trip. A picnic, sure, but just to drive somewhere and then
> back? Nope.

I thought we were talking about picnics! So now I guess she was
talking about a basket to eat out of in the car? One hand on the wheel,
the other on a turkey leg? That's a different beast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-01-30 06:47:49 +0000, Julie Bove said:

> Oklahoma is a different matter. Been there many times but don't
> remember eating in a restaurant while we were there. Then again, I do
> have relatives there and when we were visiting, we always seemed to
> dine at someone's house.

There's no food to be had there. Every third small town has one decent
BBQ joint. That's about it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:33:39 PM UTC-6, Farm1 wrote:
> When we go off on longish haul car trips, we always take a basket. Tehrmos,
>
> cups, spoons, tea bags, instant coffee, sugar, biscuits (aka 'cookies'
>
> elsewhere in the English speaking world), sandwiches, cold water and milk.
>
> And sometimes treats like lollies (aka 'sweets' or 'candy') or chips (aka
>
> 'crisps').
>

> This basket routine seems to be similarly done amongst other coutnry people
>
> we know but not something that city people seem to do. Does anyone else do
>
> this?

I sure as Hell wouldn't include instant coffee. Don't you have any standards?

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-01-30 14:46:44 +0000, Bryan said:

>> This basket routine seems to be similarly done amongst other coutnry
>> people we know but not something that city people seem to do. Does
>> anyone else do this?

> I sure as Hell wouldn't include instant coffee. Don't you have any standards?

She pointed out that she's "country folk". And I think instant coffe is
a country standards. Apparently they can't stop the car for anything
other than bathroom breaks. I assume with the instant coffee they also
have a DC heating coil so they can warm the bottled water in a cup for
the instant coffee.

Uou'd think that country folk would have DC-operated coffee-makers,
toasters, rotisserie-cookrs and all kinds of stuff for these
cross-country pioneer treks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Farm1 wrote:

> When we go off on longish haul car trips we always take a basket.

So you admit you're a basket case. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2013013006405892087-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2013-01-30 06:47:49 +0000, Julie Bove said:
>
>> Oklahoma is a different matter. Been there many times but don't remember
>> eating in a restaurant while we were there. Then again, I do have
>> relatives there and when we were visiting, we always seemed to dine at
>> someone's house.

> There's no food to be had there. Every third small town has one decent
> BBQ joint. That's about it.

Well that could be. My dad tells stories of buying nickel hamburgers as a
kid but he bought them at some store. Not a restaurant. I do know at some
point they had a KFC there. I was just learning to read and I read the
sign. I thought we were in Kentucky. My uncles laughed at me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2013013006313411704-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2013-01-30 04:10:25 +0000, Farm1 said:

>>> That's why we pack our own...

>> Indeed! The possibility of being able to buy any decent food on a long
>> car trip would be lovely, but I know from experience, it's a fantasy.

> No decent food on a road trip? You're driving around the wrong area, I
> guess.

No, it's quite true. We've made many cross country moves. And unless
you're willing to venture very far from the Freeway, you're stuck with
McDonalds, Subway and the like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 29, 11:30*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> [...]
> would normally cost for a dinner for the three of us in one of the
> restaurants we normally frequent. *And this was lunch!
>
> We wound up finding a little mom and pop type place. *I had packed baby
> carrots and in this place I bought some apples and cheese and something
> else. *Can't remember what now. *Pretzels or bread or something. *Daughter
> and I wound up eating our lunch on the beach. *It was good food and it was
> far cheaper than that restaurant.
>
> I don't mind going out to eat if I know I am going to get food food there..
> I don't even mind paying a high price for something that is expeptional such
> as something you don't commonly see elsewhere or that is in some way
> special. *Like cassoulet because it takes a long time to cook. *But I don't
> like getting crappy food in a restaurant, especially it is overpriced crappy

How long did it take you write this??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 29, 5:33*pm, "Farm1" > wrote:

> When we go off on longish haul car trips, we always take a basket. *Tehrmos,
> cups, spoons, tea bags, instant coffee, sugar, biscuits (aka 'cookies'
> elsewhere in the English speaking world), sandwiches, cold water and milk..
> And sometimes treats like lollies (aka 'sweets' or 'candy') or chips (aka
> 'crisps').
>
> This basket routine seems to be similarly done amongst other coutnry people
> we know but not something that city people seem to do. *Does anyone else do
> this?

I'm a city girl and whether it's a day trip or a long 2 week or more
excursion we packed a basket. It usually lasted about 2 days and then
it was restaurant eating. But always made sure we had ice, water, and
some soft drinks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-01-30 15:19:20 +0000, Brooklyn1 said:

> Farm1 wrote:
>>
>> When we go off on longish haul car trips we always take a basket.

> So you admit you're a basket case. LOL

Your new email address is accounted for...

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-01-30 15:36:49 +0000, Julie Bove said:

> "gtr" > wrote in message news:2013013006405892087-xxx@yyyzzz...
>> On 2013-01-30 06:47:49 +0000, Julie Bove said:
>>
>>> Oklahoma is a different matter. Been there many times but don't
>>> remember eating in a restaurant while we were there. Then again, I do
>>> have relatives there and when we were visiting, we always seemed to
>>> dine at someone's house.

>> There's no food to be had there. Every third small town has one decent
>> BBQ joint. That's about it.

> Well that could be. My dad tells stories of buying nickel hamburgers
> as a kid but he bought them at some store. Not a restaurant.

Likely at Kress's, Woolworth's or the like. Where in Oklahoma was he?
They likely still have a few cheap diners that survived the 80's. When
OK imploded in the 80's you could buy a house in OKC for 10k or
something. I returned to visit in small towns in the early 90's and
yard sales seemed to be the only operative businesses. Block after
block of yard sales.

> I do know at some point they had a KFC there. I was just learning to
> read and I read the sign. I thought we were in Kentucky. My uncles
> laughed at me.

Oh sure they have KFC and Hardee's, lots of Hardee's. They likely have
all kinds of other cheap fast-food slop everywhere there are poor folk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Farm1 wrote:
> When we go off on longish haul car trips, we always take a basket.
> Tehrmos, cups, spoons, tea bags, instant coffee, sugar, biscuits (aka
> 'cookies' elsewhere in the English speaking world), sandwiches, cold
> water and milk. And sometimes treats like lollies (aka 'sweets' or
> 'candy') or chips (aka 'crisps').
>
> This basket routine seems to be similarly done amongst other coutnry
> people we know but not something that city people seem to do. Does
> anyone else do this?

Rather depends on your definition of "longish," I'd say. Our usual
"long" car trip is 2 to 2-1/2 hours each way, and there is a shopping
center at the half-way point with a large grocery store, a Starbucks, an
Italian restaurant, a Subway - while we do often take water bottles and
some small snacks, e.g., a bag of nuts, for that length of trip, we
enjoy getting out and stretching our legs halfway so we usually plan on
doing that.

Although I don't drink their coffee, some Starbucks sandwiches are
pretty good and they'll heat them up for you. I also like their plain
tea, both hot and iced, but just plain, black tea - none of that fancy
stuff; for reasons unknown, they give you _two_ tea bags when you order
a large hot tea, and their black tea is quite strong with just _one_ tea
bag in it, so I save the other and feel like I've gotten what, at least
for Starbucks, passes for a bargain.

My main motivation for taking food on trips is to avoid lousy,
unhealthful food. For this reason, when I fly, I almost always check a
bag and put food in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-01-30 15:27:58 +0000, Janet said:

>>> Indeed! The possibility of being able to buy any decent food on a long
>>> car trip would be lovely, but I know from experience, it's a fantasy.

>> No decent food on a road trip? You're driving around the wrong area, I guess.

> It's called Australia.

I can see why that might present problems in finding food on a long drive.

> Your experience is probably in the wrong area.

Perhaps you mean "different" area. My area(s) make finding decent food
pretty easy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/