Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 13 Banned Foods Still Allowed in the U.S.

sf wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 21:55:45 -0500, James Silverton
> > wrote:

> > > The key thing here is "free country" (for now) vs. "nanny state". I for
> > > one will make my own decisions on what foods I will eat, and I do indeed
> > > pay attention to what is in them. People need to wake up, pay attention
> > > and think for themselves rather than surrendering more and more rights
> > > to an out of control government.

> > Yes, I'm in favor of allowing personal choice but one also needs full
> > disclosure of ingredients in foods to allow a decision. I buy flour so
> > infrequently that I cannot remember whether bleaching is mentioned on
> > the package.

> One package says "Unbleached Flour" and the other just says Flour, so
> you know by omission that Flour means it's bleached.

Wandering the flour aisle at the grocery store a short while ago I did
not see a single brand / package of flour that just said "flour" or one
that did not clearly indicate bleached or unbleached on the front label.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> http://www.shape.com/blogs/shape-you...ill-allowed-us
>>
>> After all these years, I still haven't figured out why people buy
>> bleached flour when it bleaches all by itself over time.
>>

> The key thing here is "free country" (for now) vs. "nanny state". I for
> one will make my own decisions on what foods I will eat, and I do indeed
> pay attention to what is in them. People need to wake up, pay attention
> and think for themselves rather than surrendering more and more rights
> to an out of control government.

So who here knew before this thread about arsenic in chicken? If
one doesn't know, how can one make a good choice? And why should
products that contain harmful ingredients be on our shelves in the
first place?