Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Graham Flour--finally a good answer re what it is

I was perusing a book this evening and, seeing some definitions,
decided to see whether it mentioned graham flour, a topic that has
come up in the past. Usually when one asks what graham flour is,
one is told that it is the same as whole wheat flour, which is
obviously incorrect. Here, from a flour company, is the answer:

"Graham Flour is manufactured from the same blends and varieties
of wheat and prepared in exactly the same manner as the wheat used
in making Entire or Whole Wheat Flour. The only difference is
that none of the coarse, outer, branny particles are removed. So
produced, it consists of the entire original wheat kernel,
containing the same ingredients as the wheat itself, and in the
same proportions. Graham Flour is a little coarser than Entire
Wheat Flour. Its uses, however, are many; particularly in making
breads, muffins and wafers." Source: Sperry Hand Book, Sperry
Flour Co., ca 1915.

I thought it might be useful to get this information out there so
if folks try searching for an answer, it will be available.

Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote:

>I was perusing a book this evening and, seeing some definitions,
>decided to see whether it mentioned graham flour, a topic that has
>come up in the past. Usually when one asks what graham flour is,
>one is told that it is the same as whole wheat flour, which is
>obviously incorrect. Here, from a flour company, is the answer:
>
>"Graham Flour is manufactured from the same blends and varieties
>of wheat and prepared in exactly the same manner as the wheat used
>in making Entire or Whole Wheat Flour. The only difference is
>that none of the coarse, outer, branny particles are removed. So
>produced, it consists of the entire original wheat kernel,
>containing the same ingredients as the wheat itself, and in the
>same proportions. Graham Flour is a little coarser than Entire
>Wheat Flour. Its uses, however, are many; particularly in making
>breads, muffins and wafers." Source: Sperry Hand Book, Sperry
>Flour Co., ca 1915.
>
>I thought it might be useful to get this information out there so
>if folks try searching for an answer, it will be available.

Graham flour isn't readily available at stupidmarkets, it doesn't
store well (goes rancid), and it's a bit pricey, so I use whole wheat
flour and add Kretchner's wheat germ and wheat bran to Kellog's All
Bran... that's essentially my blend for bran muffins, of course I add
various nuts 'n twigs (seeds) as the mood strikes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_flour
http://www.hodgsonmill.com/tips-tric...s-graham-flour
http://www.hodgsonmillstore.com/en/A...001_Group.aspx
http://www.bobsredmill.com/graham-flour.html
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s=graham+flour

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 11:22:36 -0500, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>"Jean B." wrote:
>>
>>I was perusing a book this evening and, seeing some definitions,
>>decided to see whether it mentioned graham flour, a topic that has
>>come up in the past. Usually when one asks what graham flour is,
>>one is told that it is the same as whole wheat flour, which is
>>obviously incorrect. Here, from a flour company, is the answer:
>>
>>"Graham Flour is manufactured from the same blends and varieties
>>of wheat and prepared in exactly the same manner as the wheat used
>>in making Entire or Whole Wheat Flour. The only difference is
>>that none of the coarse, outer, branny particles are removed. So
>>produced, it consists of the entire original wheat kernel,
>>containing the same ingredients as the wheat itself, and in the
>>same proportions. Graham Flour is a little coarser than Entire
>>Wheat Flour. Its uses, however, are many; particularly in making
>>breads, muffins and wafers." Source: Sperry Hand Book, Sperry
>>Flour Co., ca 1915.
>>
>>I thought it might be useful to get this information out there so
>>if folks try searching for an answer, it will be available.

>Graham flour isn't readily available at stupidmarkets, it doesn't
>store well (goes rancid), and it's a bit pricey, so I use whole wheat
>flour and add Kretchner's wheat germ and wheat bran to Kellog's All
>Bran... that's essentially my blend for bran muffins, of course I add
>various nuts 'n twigs (seeds) as the mood strikes.
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_flour
>http://www.hodgsonmill.com/tips-tric...s-graham-flour
>http://www.hodgsonmillstore.com/en/A...001_Group.aspx
>http://www.bobsredmill.com/graham-flour.html
>http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s=graham+flour

Years ago you used to be able to get both graham flour and whole wheat
flour. Now if you ask for graham, the staff is likely to not know
what you mean. I, too, use whole wheat instead of searching the whole
city.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Graham flour isn't readily available at stupidmarkets, it doesn't
> store well (goes rancid), and it's a bit pricey, so I use whole wheat
> flour and add Kretchner's wheat germ and wheat bran to Kellog's All
> Bran... that's essentially my blend for bran muffins, of course I add
> various nuts 'n twigs (seeds) as the mood strikes.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_flour
> http://www.hodgsonmill.com/tips-tric...s-graham-flour
> http://www.hodgsonmillstore.com/en/A...001_Group.aspx
> http://www.bobsredmill.com/graham-flour.html
> http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s=graham+flour

That's a good approach. Now knowing what graham flour is supposed
to be, one could approximate it at home.

Why is JethroUK so horribly afraid to answer simple and good questions? Wilson Woods Vegan 70 21-03-2012 05:35 PM
Graham flour KIS1411 General Cooking 3 11-12-2004 12:21 AM
Graham flour KIS1411 General Cooking 2 10-12-2004 03:32 AM
Why is JethroUK so horribly afraid to answer simple and good questions? Wilson Woods Vegan 28 22-05-2004 02:15 AM
Graham flour John C Baking 3 13-02-2004 02:58 AM