Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default apples: west coast vs. east coast

In article
spamtrap1888 > wrote:

> On Oct 24, 8:00*am, George Leppla > wrote:
> > On 10/24/2012 9:03 AM, Somebody wrote:
> >
> > > My brother visiting from SF said although he can get Macintoshes out there
> > > they are from Washington and not as good as the ones back east (NY,
> > > Michigan). *Hard to find Macs here, but ValuMarket had some. *He bought a
> > > bag to take back with him.

> > I've always thought that the best area for growing apples is the Hudson
> > River Valley (where Sheldon lives). *Lots of wonderful orchards there.

> A lot of good apples in Ontario.

And near Lake Ontario in NY. Unfortunately, a freeze decimated the crop
this year. My mother, who lives near Oswego, was complaining about the
amount she had to pay for apples.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/10/2012 6:08 PM, Cindy Fuller wrote:

>>> I've always thought that the best area for growing apples is the Hudson
>>> River Valley (where Sheldon lives). Lots of wonderful orchards there.

>> A lot of good apples in Ontario.

> And near Lake Ontario in NY. Unfortunately, a freeze decimated the crop
> this year. My mother, who lives near Oswego, was complaining about the
> amount she had to pay for apples.

In the Niagara area the problem was not so much a freeze as it was an
early warm spell. It was so warm that the blossoms came out a couple
weeks early and then when temperatures returned to normal there was a
frost that killed the blossoms. That was followed up by an extremely dry
summer. We have been getting half bushels of apples for $5 from a local
apple farmer. I have no idea what supermarkets are charging for them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 18:16:21 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> A lot of good apples in Ontario.

>> And near Lake Ontario in NY. Unfortunately, a freeze decimated the crop
>> this year. My mother, who lives near Oswego, was complaining about the
>> amount she had to pay for apples.

>In the Niagara area the problem was not so much a freeze as it was an
>early warm spell. It was so warm that the blossoms came out a couple
>weeks early and then when temperatures returned to normal there was a
>frost that killed the blossoms. That was followed up by an extremely dry
>summer. We have been getting half bushels of apples for $5 from a local
>apple farmer. I have no idea what supermarkets are charging for them.

I haven't bought from the supermarket in any years.

I just paid $20 for a 1/4 bushel from an orchard. [Empires- larger
than normal but good and crispy with a good balance of sweet/sour]

I'm in the Mohawk valley just west of the Hudson. most of the
orchards lost 1/2 their crop this spring because of the early warmth
followed by 'too cold for bees'.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 18:16:21 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> A lot of good apples in Ontario.

>> And near Lake Ontario in NY. Unfortunately, a freeze decimated the crop
>> this year. My mother, who lives near Oswego, was complaining about the
>> amount she had to pay for apples.

>In the Niagara area the problem was not so much a freeze as it was an
>early warm spell. It was so warm that the blossoms came out a couple
>weeks early and then when temperatures returned to normal there was a
>frost that killed the blossoms. That was followed up by an extremely dry
>summer. We have been getting half bushels of apples for $5 from a local
>apple farmer. I have no idea what supermarkets are charging for them.

Over $2 per pound around here. We had a very late and cold spring.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 20:32:00 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 18:16:21 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> And near Lake Ontario in NY. Unfortunately, a freeze decimated the crop
>>> this year. My mother, who lives near Oswego, was complaining about the
>>> amount she had to pay for apples.

>>In the Niagara area the problem was not so much a freeze as it was an
>>early warm spell. It was so warm that the blossoms came out a couple
>>weeks early and then when temperatures returned to normal there was a
>>frost that killed the blossoms. That was followed up by an extremely dry
>>summer. We have been getting half bushels of apples for $5 from a local
>>apple farmer. I have no idea what supermarkets are charging for them.

>I haven't bought from the supermarket in any years.
>
>I just paid $20 for a 1/4 bushel from an orchard. [Empires- larger
>than normal but good and crispy with a good balance of sweet/sour]
>
>I'm in the Mohawk valley just west of the Hudson. most of the
>orchards lost 1/2 their crop this spring because of the early warmth
>followed by 'too cold for bees'.

Same here in the Catskills. On the plus side the trees will be
stronger from not putting out energy to produce a crop so weather
permitting should put out a much better crop next year. I noticed
that a lot of trees of all kinds showed exceptional growth due to
losing their blossoms and not producing seeds... aside from the early
warm spell the weather here has been warm and wet, a good growing
season.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 18:16:21 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> And near Lake Ontario in NY. Unfortunately, a freeze decimated the crop
>>> this year. My mother, who lives near Oswego, was complaining about the
>>> amount she had to pay for apples.

>>In the Niagara area the problem was not so much a freeze as it was an
>>early warm spell. It was so warm that the blossoms came out a couple
>>weeks early and then when temperatures returned to normal there was a
>>frost that killed the blossoms. That was followed up by an extremely dry
>>summer. We have been getting half bushels of apples for $5 from a local
>>apple farmer. I have no idea what supermarkets are charging for them.

> Over $2 per pound around here. We had a very late and cold spring.
> Janet US

The Macs I bought were $4.99 for a bag, but worth it!

I suddenly feel like eating an apple. A Macintosh apple.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:
> In article
> >,
> > wrote:

>>> I've always thought that the best area for growing apples is the Hudson
>>> River Valley (where Sheldon lives). Lots of wonderful orchards there.

>> A lot of good apples in Ontario.

> And near Lake Ontario in NY. Unfortunately, a freeze decimated the crop
> this year. My mother, who lives near Oswego, was complaining about the
> amount she had to pay for apples.
>
> Cindy

Ah. A friend in Maine said he had NO apples this year because the
buds developed early and then they got hit with a freeze. Maybe
that is why SF said what she did re the East Coast apples. I was
trying to figure out why she had such a poor impression of NE
apples. We have some great ones.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 06:56:41 -0600, "Jean B." > wrote:

> Cindy Fuller wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > > wrote:

> >> A lot of good apples in Ontario.

> > And near Lake Ontario in NY. Unfortunately, a freeze decimated the crop
> > this year. My mother, who lives near Oswego, was complaining about the
> > amount she had to pay for apples.
> >
> > Cindy
> >

> Ah. A friend in Maine said he had NO apples this year because the
> buds developed early and then they got hit with a freeze. Maybe
> that is why SF said what she did re the East Coast apples. I was
> trying to figure out why she had such a poor impression of NE
> apples. We have some great ones.

I was expecting great and it didn't deliver. Oh, well. Better luck
next time.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
>> Ah. A friend in Maine said he had NO apples this year because the
>> buds developed early and then they got hit with a freeze. Maybe
>> that is why SF said what she did re the East Coast apples. I was
>> trying to figure out why she had such a poor impression of NE
>> apples. We have some great ones.

> I was expecting great and it didn't deliver. Oh, well. Better luck
> next time.

Assuming the same thing doesn't happen next year, give it another
try.