Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "00" Flour - pizza

I happened upon this recently at my produce market. I had heard it's
good for pizza. I've been fiddling around with my pizza dough recipe
and thought I might try it out.

I have been using a combination of bread flour and durum which was
working really well. The "00" dough is very relaxed after it rises.
It does not spring back at all and produces a crust that is actually
crispy. It might have been just a tad too crispy though. I think if
I didn't roll it out as thin - it would have the better combination
of crispy and chewy.

I paid $1.89 for a 2.2 pound bag, which I thought was a decent price.

Does anyone have experience using this type of flour for pizza? I
am wondering if I can cut it with bread flour (or a combination of
wheat/and or durum) and still get the nice relaxed dough result.

I generally put about 2 1/2 cups of flour in my food processor along
with 2 tsp instant yeast and a teaspoon of salt and enough warm
water to make a nice soft dough.

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:

> I have been using a combination of bread flour and durum which was
> working really well. The "00" dough is very relaxed after it rises.
> It does not spring back at all and produces a crust that is actually
> crispy. It might have been just a tad too crispy though. I think if
> I didn't roll it out as thin - it would have the better combination
> of crispy and chewy.

I've been told there's no point in using 00 grind unless you're going
to toss-and-spin the crust to stretch it. The idea is that the 00
flour forms long gluten chains better. If you roll the dough on a
board, you might as well use AP grind.

Of course, if you didn't pay a premium, it's academic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 10:21:54 -0400, Tracy > wrote:

> I happened upon this recently at my produce market. I had heard it's
> good for pizza. I've been fiddling around with my pizza dough recipe
> and thought I might try it out.
>
> I have been using a combination of bread flour and durum which was
> working really well. The "00" dough is very relaxed after it rises.
> It does not spring back at all and produces a crust that is actually
> crispy. It might have been just a tad too crispy though. I think if
> I didn't roll it out as thin - it would have the better combination
> of crispy and chewy.
>
> I paid $1.89 for a 2.2 pound bag, which I thought was a decent price.
>
> Does anyone have experience using this type of flour for pizza? I
> am wondering if I can cut it with bread flour (or a combination of
> wheat/and or durum) and still get the nice relaxed dough result.
>
> I generally put about 2 1/2 cups of flour in my food processor along
> with 2 tsp instant yeast and a teaspoon of salt and enough warm
> water to make a nice soft dough.

I don't know the answer to any of your questions, but thanks for
posting. I can buy 00 in bulk, but have never used it. I was going
to use it with all purpose but always seem to go with what I know. If
it makes a crispy crust when used 100%, I think I'll try it the first
time without mixing and see how it goes. That said, have you seen
this site? It may have some answers for you.
http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2011...-00-flour.html

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2012 6:38 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 10:21:54 -0400, Tracy > wrote:
>
>> I happened upon this recently at my produce market. I had heard it's
>> good for pizza. I've been fiddling around with my pizza dough recipe
>> and thought I might try it out.
>>
>> I have been using a combination of bread flour and durum which was
>> working really well. The "00" dough is very relaxed after it rises.
>> It does not spring back at all and produces a crust that is actually
>> crispy. It might have been just a tad too crispy though. I think if
>> I didn't roll it out as thin - it would have the better combination
>> of crispy and chewy.
>>
>> I paid $1.89 for a 2.2 pound bag, which I thought was a decent price.
>>
>> Does anyone have experience using this type of flour for pizza? I
>> am wondering if I can cut it with bread flour (or a combination of
>> wheat/and or durum) and still get the nice relaxed dough result.
>>
>> I generally put about 2 1/2 cups of flour in my food processor along
>> with 2 tsp instant yeast and a teaspoon of salt and enough warm
>> water to make a nice soft dough.
>>

> I don't know the answer to any of your questions, but thanks for
> posting. I can buy 00 in bulk, but have never used it. I was going
> to use it with all purpose but always seem to go with what I know. If
> it makes a crispy crust when used 100%, I think I'll try it the first
> time without mixing and see how it goes. That said, have you seen
> this site? It may have some answers for you.
> http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2011...-00-flour.html

Thanks that was interesting to read. And yes, the crust is crispy -
and I don't use a pizza stone.

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 09:36:56 -0400, Tracy > wrote:

> > It may have some answers for you.
> > http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2011...-00-flour.html
> >

> Thanks that was interesting to read.

You're welcome!

> And yes, the crust is crispy - and I don't use a pizza stone.

Wow! I have a stone, so now I'm really curious.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 7:21*am, Tracy > wrote:
> I happened upon this recently at my produce market. I had heard it's
> good for pizza. I've been fiddling around with my pizza dough recipe
> and thought I might try it out.
>
> I have been using a combination of bread flour and durum which was
> working really well. The "00" dough is very relaxed after it rises.
> It does not spring back at all and produces a crust that is actually
> crispy. It might have been just a tad too crispy though. I think if
> I didn't roll it out as thin - it would have the better combination
> of crispy and chewy.
>
> I paid $1.89 for a 2.2 pound bag, which I thought was a decent price.
>
> Does anyone have experience using *this type of flour for pizza? I
> am wondering if I can cut it with bread flour (or a combination of
> wheat/and or durum) and still get the nice relaxed dough result.
>
> I generally put about 2 1/2 cups of flour in my food processor along
> with 2 tsp instant yeast and a teaspoon of salt and enough warm
> water to make a nice soft dough.
>
> Tracy

I see that Cash & Carry carries Mondako pizza flour- 17.98 for 50#.
Mondako= Montana and Dakota wheat...Not sure if there is anything
added to it, but for that price, you can make pizzas for the whole
neighborhood!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 11:29:23 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

snip

>I see that Cash & Carry carries Mondako pizza flour- 17.98 for 50#.
>Mondako= Montana and Dakota wheat...Not sure if there is anything
>added to it, but for that price, you can make pizzas for the whole
>neighborhood!

I read that bag also and couldn't find any additives listed. It's
interesting, but I couldn't imagine using up a quarter of that flour .
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 13, 12:12*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 11:29:23 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
> wrote:
>
> snip
>

> >I see that Cash & Carry carries Mondako pizza flour- 17.98 for 50#.
> >Mondako= Montana and Dakota wheat...Not sure if there is anything
> >added to it, but for that price, you can make pizzas for the whole
> >neighborhood!

> I read that bag also and couldn't find any additives listed. *It's
> interesting, but I couldn't imagine using up a quarter of that flour .
> Janet US

LOL- agree on that! That's when you need to find a friend or 2 to
split it with. I had to make a bunch of cupcakes for graduations, so I
bought 50 # of cake flour! Don't know what I was thinking, but it was
cheap!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2012 10:21 AM, Tracy wrote:

> I happened upon this recently at my produce market. I had heard it's
> good for pizza. I've been fiddling around with my pizza dough recipe and
> thought I might try it out.
>
> I have been using a combination of bread flour and durum which was
> working really well. The "00" dough is very relaxed after it rises. It
> does not spring back at all and produces a crust that is actually
> crispy. It might have been just a tad too crispy though. I think if I
> didn't roll it out as thin - it would have the better combination of
> crispy and chewy.
>
> I paid $1.89 for a 2.2 pound bag, which I thought was a decent price.
>
> Does anyone have experience using this type of flour for pizza? I am
> wondering if I can cut it with bread flour (or a combination of
> wheat/and or durum) and still get the nice relaxed dough result.
>
> I generally put about 2 1/2 cups of flour in my food processor along
> with 2 tsp instant yeast and a teaspoon of salt and enough warm water to
> make a nice soft dough.

No experience to share but if it comes out crispy, I need to try it.
Thanks for the info!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 11:29:23 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
> wrote:
>
> snip
> >
> > I see that Cash & Carry carries Mondako pizza flour- 17.98 for 50#.
> > Mondako= Montana and Dakota wheat...Not sure if there is anything
> > added to it, but for that price, you can make pizzas for the whole
> > neighborhood!

> I read that bag also and couldn't find any additives listed. It's
> interesting, but I couldn't imagine using up a quarter of that flour .
> Janet US

If it were a decent bread flour, I would!