Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I'm making the Charro beans!

Next time I think I will have to do half of the recipe. Just the beans,
onions and bacon alone came almost to the top of my Dutch oven. So it was
either use the canner (which would be too big) or the Rachael Ray pasta pot.
I opted for that even though it doesn't have a tight fitting lid. But I
think that's a good thing because I am hoping the liquid will cook down
quite a bit. The vegetables gave off quite a bit of liquid. Yes, I know
the beans will absorb quite a bit of the liquid.

I was unable to use the vegetable powder that I had. It contains lovage and
I can't have that. I will look for something else. I know I have bought
some compressed vegetable stuff but not sure how it is seasoned. Sadly, I
used all of the G.W. Golden seasoning. There was only an empty package in
the cupboard. So I will put in some beef concentrate.

Looks like we will be eating this all week. I have some chicken that I am
going to make for my daughter and also some sweet potatoes. And we got some
peppers at Winco. Thankfully the prices have not gone up there. And I was
slightly wrong on those prices. They were 48 cents for green, 68 cents for
red and more for the yellow and orange.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Next time I think I will have to do half of the recipe. Just the beans,
> onions and bacon alone came almost to the top of my Dutch oven. So it was
> either use the canner (which would be too big) or the Rachael Ray pasta
> pot. I opted for that even though it doesn't have a tight fitting lid.
> But I think that's a good thing because I am hoping the liquid will cook
> down quite a bit. The vegetables gave off quite a bit of liquid. Yes, I
> know the beans will absorb quite a bit of the liquid.
>
> I was unable to use the vegetable powder that I had. It contains lovage
> and I can't have that. I will look for something else. I know I have
> bought some compressed vegetable stuff but not sure how it is seasoned.
> Sadly, I used all of the G.W. Golden seasoning. There was only an empty
> package in the cupboard. So I will put in some beef concentrate.
>
> Looks like we will be eating this all week. I have some chicken that I am
> going to make for my daughter and also some sweet potatoes. And we got
> some peppers at Winco. Thankfully the prices have not gone up there. And
> I was slightly wrong on those prices. They were 48 cents for green, 68
> cents for red and more for the yellow and orange.

I guess I got the name slightly wrong. I WILL be making these again! They
are soooo good! But what I wound up with is really like a soup. Next time
I will for sure add less water. I did try to cook them down a little after
I added the cilantro, but I didn't want to overcook the beans. The end
result was actually a little salty. So I won't be adding any extra
seasoning. And I screwed up and bought two bunches of cilantro! I thought
that looked like an extra big bunch. So I will snip some and put it on top
when I serve them. Not sure that daughter will like these because of all
tomato in them but I certainly do!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 02:01:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Next time
> I will for sure add less water. I did try to cook them down a little after
> I added the cilantro, but I didn't want to overcook the beans.

Take the beans out and boil the water down... or just throw some out
if you like the seasoning as it is.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 02:01:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> Next time
>> I will for sure add less water. I did try to cook them down a little
>> after
>> I added the cilantro, but I didn't want to overcook the beans.

> Take the beans out and boil the water down... or just throw some out
> if you like the seasoning as it is.

Of course I thought of that but... It made such a lot that I didn't have a
large enough container to put them in. I had to leave them in the pan.
Yes, I could have taken some of the liquid out and boiled it down in another
pan but for this week I will just eat it as soup. It is still very good.