Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default PING: Sheldon

On 2012-09-26, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> Yes.

Well, Ima newly hatched FP nut case. Always hated my penmanship and
wanted to improve it in my old age soes I could write to my GDs. I
recalled my pitiful cursive always looked a tad better with a FP, so
took a chance and started reading up on it. Ima goner! Had no idea.

Besides recently committing to a '30s Waterman, I'm stocking up for
the Winter on some newer pens, paper, ink, and calli stuff. Looking
to learn Spencerian and copperplate, too, if geezer/gimpness allows.
Am currently haunting vintage pen sites and any info/advice you care
to offer would be welcome.

Dare to email me at notbob at q dot com or recommend a forum you
currently abuse.

nb ....as Claude is my witness, I WILL noodle!!

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26 Sep 2012 15:12:46 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2012-09-26, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> Yes.

>Well, Ima newly hatched FP nut case. Always hated my penmanship and
>wanted to improve it in my old age soes I could write to my GDs. I
>recalled my pitiful cursive always looked a tad better with a FP, so
>took a chance and started reading up on it. Ima goner! Had no idea.
>
>Besides recently committing to a '30s Waterman, I'm stocking up for
>the Winter on some newer pens, paper, ink, and calli stuff. Looking
>to learn Spencerian and copperplate, too, if geezer/gimpness allows.
>Am currently haunting vintage pen sites and any info/advice you care
>to offer would be welcome.
>
>Dare to email me at notbob at q dot com or recommend a forum you
>currently abuse.
>
>nb ....as Claude is my witness, I WILL noodle!!

Copperplate! Wow! Good Luck
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2012-09-26, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
> > Yes.

> Well, Ima newly hatched FP nut case. Always hated my penmanship and
> wanted to improve it in my old age soes I could write to my GDs. I
> recalled my pitiful cursive always looked a tad better with a FP, so
> took a chance and started reading up on it. Ima goner! Had no idea.
>
> Besides recently committing to a '30s Waterman, I'm stocking up for
> the Winter on some newer pens, paper, ink, and calli stuff. Looking
> to learn Spencerian and copperplate, too, if geezer/gimpness allows.
> Am currently haunting vintage pen sites and any info/advice you care
> to offer would be welcome.
>
> Dare to email me at notbob at q dot com or recommend a forum you
> currently abuse.
>
> nb ....as Claude is my witness, I WILL noodle!!
>
> --
> Definition of objectivism:
> "Eff you! I got mine."

WTH was your point there? ;-o

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2012-09-26, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> Yes.

> Well, Ima newly hatched FP nut case. Always hated my penmanship and
> wanted to improve it in my old age soes I could write to my GDs. I
> recalled my pitiful cursive always looked a tad better with a FP, so
> took a chance and started reading up on it. Ima goner! Had no idea.
>
> Besides recently committing to a '30s Waterman, I'm stocking up for
> the Winter on some newer pens, paper, ink, and calli stuff. Looking
> to learn Spencerian and copperplate, too, if geezer/gimpness allows.
> Am currently haunting vintage pen sites and any info/advice you care
> to offer would be welcome.
>
> Dare to email me at notbob at q dot com or recommend a forum you
> currently abuse.

Don't know what Sheldon will suggest, but I've found
the best newsgroup available to me is
alt.collecting.pens-pencils
It is a bit quiet now, but has a lot of good information
in its back archives if you can get to them.
Good luck

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote:

> "notbob" > wrote in message
> > On 2012-09-26, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> >
> >> Yes.

> > Well, Ima newly hatched FP nut case. Always hated my penmanship and
> > wanted to improve it in my old age soes I could write to my GDs. I
> > recalled my pitiful cursive always looked a tad better with a FP, so
> > took a chance and started reading up on it. Ima goner! Had no idea.
> >
> > Besides recently committing to a '30s Waterman, I'm stocking up for
> > the Winter on some newer pens, paper, ink, and calli stuff. Looking
> > to learn Spencerian and copperplate, too, if geezer/gimpness allows.
> > Am currently haunting vintage pen sites and any info/advice you care
> > to offer would be welcome.
> >
> > Dare to email me at notbob at q dot com or recommend a forum you
> > currently abuse.

> Don't know what Sheldon will suggest, but I've found
> the best newsgroup available to me is
> alt.collecting.pens-pencils
> It is a bit quiet now, but has a lot of good information
> in its back archives if you can get to them.
> Good luck
>
> pavane

Now I think I've heard it all....alt.collecting.pen-pencils? ;-D

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary > wrote:

>pavane wrote:

-snip-

>> Don't know what Sheldon will suggest, but I've found
>> the best newsgroup available to me is
>> alt.collecting.pens-pencils
>> It is a bit quiet now, but has a lot of good information
>> in its back archives if you can get to them.
>> Good luck
>>
>> pavane

>Now I think I've heard it all....alt.collecting.pen-pencils? ;-D

Makes more sense than alt.silly.little.newsgroup -- or alt.stupidity
[both real groups that have been around for a very long time]

Jim.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> Yes.

>Well, Ima newly hatched FP nut case. Always hated my penmanship and
>wanted to improve it in my old age soes I could write to my GDs. I
>recalled my pitiful cursive always looked a tad better with a FP, so
>took a chance and started reading up on it. Ima goner! Had no idea.
>
>Besides recently committing to a '30s Waterman, I'm stocking up for
>the Winter on some newer pens, paper, ink, and calli stuff. Looking
>to learn Spencerian and copperplate, too, if geezer/gimpness allows.
>Am currently haunting vintage pen sites and any info/advice you care
>to offer would be welcome.
>
>Dare to email me at notbob at q dot com or recommend a forum you
>currently abuse.
>
>nb ....as Claude is my witness, I WILL noodle!!

I believe that there is still a pen/pencil newsgroup that I was once
subscribed to but it had deteriorated some about 6-7 years ago... I
think because several of the old timers simply died off of old age and
there isn't much younger replacement blood. AOL used to host an
excellent fountain pen hobbiest group but then they too got out of the
"content" business. Probably the best resources for info are the
major fountain pen retailers, they will answer questions, many have a
forum at their web site, and many host shows where you can meet other
hobbiests to discuss, buy/sell. There is also a fountain pen magazine
that I used to subscribe to; Penworld. I were you I'd phone the
various retailers and get on their mailing list, many have excellent
catalogs that they send periodically. I don't do much snail mail
anymore because it's very rare that anyone reciprocates. I used to
have many pen pals around the world but email obliterated that
entirely. These days I mostly use fountain pens for writing checks,
that's about it. I even used to use wax seals on my correspondence...
I have dozens of seals and tons of wax in every color, but haven't
done that in years, used to send greeting cards with wax seals, now
everyone uses ecards. Have fun.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

There's still nothing like opening yer mailbox and spying a greeting card with a handwritten address. Even if it's in PENCIL, I'm pleased to get it. These e-cards are one step away from an insult.

You'd love to own my father's desk fountain pen set- it sat in its little tube on a large, square metal base, etched and enamelled in red and black and white on silver. The darn thing tho was always dry when you wanted to use it - it was more for looks I guess. We always had a bottle of blue-black ink in the desk drawer. Gentler times, those.
I can remember our first ballpoint that came out - Papermate and weren't cheap. That's another item which has become cheaper over time-- like the new TAD we just bought . 49 bucks and does a ton more than its predecessor which was 150 bucks in 1999. So, SOME things do come down.

I was in school with INKWELLS in the desks - how's that for old fashioned. The school system had a big debate about whether the kids should be allowed to take penmanship with ballpoints. What a joke.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-09-26, l, not -l > wrote:

> I too am a fountain pen fan - user and collector.
> http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/ is an excellent resource addressing
> all aspects of the pen affliction. You may also be able to locate a local
> group of pen enthusiasts, there are many throughout the country; for
> example, here, we have the St. Louis Area Pen Users (SLAPU).

Yep. I'm on FPN as ...wait for it.... notbob! Whoda guessed?

> If improved handwriting is a goal, I suggest you take a look at cursive
> italic, such as advocated by Barbara Getty and Inga Dubay in their popular
> book Write Now. They teach seminars for doctors and other medical
> professionals to improve handwriting.

Now, I'm jes putting ink to paper. FPs, sharpie calli mrkrs, dips,
etc. Doodles, flourishes, std grade school cursive, italic, unicals,
etc. I have not done this since I was a mere tad in school. Forgot
how relaxing and therapeutic it can be and, believe me, I need all the
therapy I can get. I found the Getty-Dubay cursive. Looks like a
relaxed version of the more strict italic/chancery cursive I've been
practicing. I like it. Looks easier. Thnx.

I like the pen part, too. Being mechanically handy and having most of
the tools, I'm already scheming on hot-rodding some pens/nibs. And
the inks!! Who knew?

It's all great fun and nowhere near as fattening.

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-09-26, l, not -l > wrote:

> There are millions of us and we're everywhere.......

So it would seem. I had no idea.

But, for me, it's all online. I'm so remote, I jes scored the last 2
boxes of stationary in either of my two small burgs. A Rexall drug
and gift store going-out-of-business sale. Forget buying an FP,
locally. Even a disposable at Wallyworld. :|

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/09/2012 3:50 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> There's still nothing like opening yer mailbox and spying a greeting card with a handwritten address. Even if it's in PENCIL, I'm pleased to get it. These e-cards are one step away from an insult.

I still do all the greeting cards by hand. Use a ballpoint pen though.
Nostalgia is wonderful but ballpoints are better.

> You'd love to own my father's desk fountain pen set- it sat in its little tube on a large, square metal base, etched and enamelled in red and black and white on silver. The darn thing tho was always dry when you wanted to use it - it was more for looks I guess. We always had a bottle of blue-black ink in the desk drawer. Gentler times, those.
> I can remember our first ballpoint that came out - Papermate and weren't cheap. That's another item which has become cheaper over time-- like the new TAD we just bought . 49 bucks and does a ton more than its predecessor which was 150 bucks in 1999. So, SOME things do come down.
>
> I was in school with INKWELLS in the desks - how's that for old fashioned. The school system had a big debate about whether the kids should be allowed to take penmanship with ballpoints. What a joke.

I started with pencils and finished with inkwells. Think I might have
had a fountain pen in the later years but it was a very long time ago.
All the mess with ink and the ever present blotting paper, how I'm glad
those days have long gone!

--

Krypsis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-09-26, l, not -l > wrote:

> While a bit difficult to read, the pen show schedule at
> http://pw1.netcom.com/~swirth/2000.htm provides dates and locations for
> most, if not all, US pen shows.

Way cool. Thnx, l.

I've got the range on all the online retailers. Jes ordered a couple
cheapo FPs, but a some inks + samples. Found the grn brd and a couple
other good vintage sellers. Time to resurrect my ebay presence, as a
buyer instead of a seller. Seen some good deals on there, so far.
Time to start doing instead of jes acquiring. So many resources. Was
gonna buy some good ruled paper until I discovered online printable
templates, so jes bought good printer paper. Even found a free G-D
lesson online. The more you learn, the more you save.

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."

Ping: Sheldon Janet B General Cooking 9 03-04-2016 05:36 PM
Ping:Sheldon Goomba38 General Cooking 0 11-04-2008 07:44 AM
Ping: Sheldon Becca[_2_] General Cooking 4 12-03-2008 10:04 PM
PING Sheldon Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 4 08-04-2005 05:21 AM
PING: Sheldon Crookshanks General Cooking 2 02-05-2004 06:12 AM