Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default USDA Prime question

There is a store advertising locally, selling "Montana grass-fed beef
steaks." They are touted as being very lean, which I can imagine as being
grass-fed, but are also advertised as "USDA Prime." I thought Prime
required substantial marbling of fat. Is it possible for beef to be Prime
and also very lean?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul & Robin Barrett" > wrote in message
mmunications...
> There is a store advertising locally, selling "Montana grass-fed beef
> steaks." They are touted as being very lean, which I can imagine as being
> grass-fed, but are also advertised as "USDA Prime." I thought Prime
> required substantial marbling of fat. Is it possible for beef to be Prime
> and also very lean?

What with the drought ranchers have sent their herds to slaughter at a much
younger age. This may be why they are graded prime. Prime includes both
age and fat content. It's pretty hard to find prime beef in stores since
restaurants tend to take all of it.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 17:06:19 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>"Paul & Robin Barrett" > wrote in message
ommunications...
>> There is a store advertising locally, selling "Montana grass-fed beef
>> steaks." They are touted as being very lean, which I can imagine as being
>> grass-fed, but are also advertised as "USDA Prime." I thought Prime
>> required substantial marbling of fat. Is it possible for beef to be Prime
>> and also very lean?

>What with the drought ranchers have sent their herds to slaughter at a much
>younger age. This may be why they are graded prime. Prime includes both
>age and fat content. It's pretty hard to find prime beef in stores since
>restaurants tend to take all of it.
>
>Paul

Not in tghe storte I shop at:

http://www.straubs.com/meat/

If Straub's sell you prime beef, it's PRIME, baby! (Better be for the
price!)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 17:06:19 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Paul & Robin Barrett" > wrote in message
communications...
>>> There is a store advertising locally, selling "Montana grass-fed beef
>>> steaks." They are touted as being very lean, which I can imagine as
>>> being
>>> grass-fed, but are also advertised as "USDA Prime." I thought Prime
>>> required substantial marbling of fat. Is it possible for beef to be
>>> Prime
>>> and also very lean?

>>What with the drought ranchers have sent their herds to slaughter at a
>>much
>>younger age. This may be why they are graded prime. Prime includes both
>>age and fat content. It's pretty hard to find prime beef in stores since
>>restaurants tend to take all of it.
>>
>>Paul
>>

> Not in tghe storte I shop at:
>
> http://www.straubs.com/meat/
>
> If Straub's sell you prime beef, it's PRIME, baby! (Better be for the
> price!)

I find Costco choice cuts to be quite good. Good enough for me. So much
better than select.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 17:06:19 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> "Paul & Robin Barrett" > wrote in message
>> mmunications...
>>> There is a store advertising locally, selling "Montana grass-fed beef
>>> steaks." They are touted as being very lean, which I can imagine as
>>> being
>>> grass-fed, but are also advertised as "USDA Prime." I thought Prime
>>> required substantial marbling of fat. Is it possible for beef to be
>>> Prime
>>> and also very lean?

>> What with the drought ranchers have sent their herds to slaughter at a
>> much
>> younger age. This may be why they are graded prime.

> Young steers under the age of 28 months will hardly ever grade prime
> when given the extra 4 months they WOULD grade prime.
>
>> Prime includes both age and fat content.

> Maturity, not age.

We're talking cows here. Not you.

>> It's pretty hard to find prime beef in stores since
>> restaurants tend to take all of it.

> This has been proven false hundreds of times here. Stop repeating
> that shit you read in those 1970 Reader's Digests.

Proven false? Hundreds of times? How about discussed, maybe once, 12 years
ago?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 17:53:55 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> news >>
>>> This has been proven false hundreds of times here. Stop repeating
>>> that shit you read in those 1970 Reader's Digests.

>> Proven false? Hundreds of times? How about discussed, maybe once, 12
>> years
>> ago?

> It has been mentioned hundreds of times that we consumers (readers of
> RFC) are regularly able to buy USDA prime graded beef at many stores
> locally.

Good for you. That's some consolation for living in Texas, I suppose.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 18:09:56 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:

>>> It has been mentioned hundreds of times that we consumers (readers of
>>> RFC) are regularly able to buy USDA prime graded beef at many stores
>>> locally.

>> Good for you. That's some consolation for living in Texas, I suppose.

> And 49 other states. Texas has nothing to do with it. It's readily
> available where you live, too. You're just not bright enough to know
> where and wouldn't recognize it if you saw it.

I'm so bright my mother called me sonny.

Won't be looking for it in Texas, tell ya that right now, pahndha.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul & Robin Barrett" > wrote in message
mmunications...
> There is a store advertising locally, selling "Montana grass-fed beef
> steaks." They are touted as being very lean, which I can imagine as being
> grass-fed, but are also advertised as "USDA Prime." I thought Prime
> required substantial marbling of fat. Is it possible for beef to be Prime
> and also very lean?

As a beef producer in Australia, I found your question to be very
interesting but since have no idea of how the USDA grades beef, I had a very
interesting tour of sites dealing with this issue. I found this one:
http://www.beefresearch.org/CMDocs/B...%20Grading.pdf
Whihc says that the marbling on USDA Prime would be 'slightly abundant'.

I'd be asking the store selling this beef about the breed involved as that
can have an impact on marbling eg Wagyu are one breed that marbles better
than say Hereford. Eyeball the meat and if you like the look of it, try
some.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 30, 2012 2:19:51 AM UTC-4, Farm1 wrote:
> "Paul & Robin Barrett" > wrote in message
>
> mmunications...
>
> > There is a store advertising locally, selling "Montana grass-fed beef

> > steaks." They are touted as being very lean, which I can imagine as being

> > grass-fed, but are also advertised as "USDA Prime." I thought Prime

> > required substantial marbling of fat. Is it possible for beef to be Prime

> > and also very lean?

> As a beef producer in Australia, I

should get the **** off a thread about USDA grading. We don't care about your opinion.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:42:45 PM UTC-4, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> >> Good for you. That's some consolation for living in Texas, I suppose.

> > And 49 other states. Texas has nothing to do with it. It's readily

> > available where you live, too. You're just not bright enough to know

> > where and wouldn't recognize it if you saw it.

> I'm so bright my mother called me sonny.
>

> Won't be looking for it in Texas, tell ya that right now, pahndha.

Typical Paul Cock behavior. Claim something false, get called out on it and then act like it was all a big joke. Next step - go into hiding for a while.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:42:45 PM UTC-4, Paul M. Cook wrote:

>> > And 49 other states. Texas has nothing to do with it. It's readily

>> > available where you live, too. You're just not bright enough to know

>> > where and wouldn't recognize it if you saw it.

>> I'm so bright my mother called me sonny.
>>

>> Won't be looking for it in Texas, tell ya that right now, pahndha.

> Typical Paul Cock behavior. Claim something false, get called out on it
> and then act like it was all a big joke. Next step - go into hiding for a
> while.

Hitting the bottle a bit early, are we Stevie?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 30, 2012 11:15:17 AM UTC-4, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> > wrote in message

> >> I'm so bright my mother called me sonny.

> >> Won't be looking for it in Texas, tell ya that right now, pahndha.

> > Typical Paul Cock behavior. Claim something false, get called out on it

> > and then act like it was all a big joke. Next step - go into hiding for a

> > while.

> Hitting the bottle a bit early, are we Stevie?

I think we established a long time ago that I am not a sock. And that yelling "sock!" is your favorite defense.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Thursday, August 30, 2012 2:19:51 AM UTC-4, Farm1 wrote:
>> "Paul & Robin Barrett" > wrote in message
>>
>> mmunications...
>>
>> > There is a store advertising locally, selling "Montana grass-fed beef

>> > steaks." They are touted as being very lean, which I can imagine as
>> > being

>> > grass-fed, but are also advertised as "USDA Prime." I thought Prime

>> > required substantial marbling of fat. Is it possible for beef to be
>> > Prime

>> > and also very lean?

>> As a beef producer in Australia, I

> should get the **** off a thread about USDA grading. We don't care about
> your opinion.

You and all those voices that tell you what to say whould go and have a nice
lie down.