Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT-- ductless a/c unit: any experience, comments?

A neighbor is thinking of putting one in a closet - she must've seen that infomercial in the wee hours. Could they be any good? I'd prob. just opt for Damp-rid and take me chances.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 09:24:59 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> A neighbor is thinking of putting one in a closet - she must've seen that infomercial in the wee hours. Could they be any good? I'd prob. just opt for Damp-rid and take me chances.

Not sure what you're talking about but I think it's what you'd seen in
Europe. I've often thought they were a good idea. They are installed
over the door that you'd enter from the hallway, not in a window.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 09:45:43 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 09:24:59 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:
>
>> A neighbor is thinking of putting one in a closet - she must've seen that infomercial in the wee hours. Could they be any good? I'd prob. just opt for Damp-rid and take me chances.

>Not sure what you're talking about.

You don't know anything yet you reply to everything.

http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/?ut...012&m pch=ads

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 10, 9:24*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> A neighbor is thinking of putting one in a closet - she must've seen that infomercial in the wee hours. *Could they be any good? * I'd prob. just opt for Damp-rid and take me chances.

A Plasma Cool? You need to be able to run a duct to a window.

If she just wants to remove humidity, I would buy a dehumidifier at
half the price or less. Some models have pumps that will expel water
through a tube, or you could always just empty the dishpan inside.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/10/2012 1:13 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 09:45:43 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 09:24:59 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> A neighbor is thinking of putting one in a closet - she must've seen that infomercial in the wee hours. Could they be any good? I'd prob. just opt for Damp-rid and take me chances.

>> Not sure what you're talking about.

> You don't know anything yet you reply to everything.
>
> http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/?ut...012&m pch=ads

That link is to a split-zone AC unit. The compressor and all the works
are outside, the cooling fins are inside. Only a 2 to 3 inch hole is
needed through the wall for all the plumbing, condensate drainage and
wiring. Very quiet. We are thinking of installing one of these next
year. You can get one, two or three indoor air exchangers connected to
the same outdoor unit. You can get heat pump versions that both cool and
heat your house. Limitations are that you have to install it on an
outside wall.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/10/2012 6:45 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 09:24:59 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>> A neighbor is thinking of putting one in a closet - she must've seen that infomercial in the wee hours. Could they be any good? I'd prob. just opt for Damp-rid and take me chances.

> Not sure what you're talking about but I think it's what you'd seen in
> Europe. I've often thought they were a good idea. They are installed
> over the door that you'd enter from the hallway, not in a window.

They are a good idea because you have the option of mounting the cooling
unit anywhere. They are popular over here too. Panasonic sells a system
called "Mr Slim." The system requires refrigerant hoses to a condenser
unit outside. OTOH, it's probably cheaper and more efficient to just
install regular wall units in various rooms and turn them on as needed
i.e., zone A/C.

My guess is that a A/C in a closet wouldn't work at dehumidifying. It's
going to cool down the area too fast and liquid water will start
condensing on the walls. OTOH, I've never seen an A/C in a closet so
that would be an interesting experiment.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 13:45:29 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

> On 8/10/2012 1:13 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 09:45:43 -0700, sf > wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 09:24:59 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia

> >> Not sure what you're talking about.

> > You don't know anything yet you reply to everything.
> >
> > http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/?ut...012&m pch=ads
> >

> That link is to a split-zone AC unit. The compressor and all the works
> are outside, the cooling fins are inside. Only a 2 to 3 inch hole is
> needed through the wall for all the plumbing, condensate drainage and
> wiring. Very quiet. We are thinking of installing one of these next
> year. You can get one, two or three indoor air exchangers connected to
> the same outdoor unit. You can get heat pump versions that both cool and
> heat your house. Limitations are that you have to install it on an
> outside wall.

He says I know nothing and yet, I manage to know more than he does.
What an idiot.