Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kielbasa cooked over a flame

ImStillMags wrote:

>I can't find decent kielbasa anywhere..

Sausage is ground meat... the ONLY "decent" sausage is to make your
own... any from a Polska butcher is just as much if not more mystery
meat as Hillshire Farm from the stupidmarket. Anyone paying big bucks
at the Polska market is either extremely lazy or has more dollars than
brain cells. Fresh kielbasa is extremely easy and inexpensive to
make... and you really don't need to stuff casings, pattys and
meatballs work well too. There are plenty of recipes and you can
extrapolate to suit, in fact you should alter fresh sausage recipes to
your taste... one of the major components of sausage is texture,
making your own you can make whatever texture you like, I much prefer
a combo coarse n' chunky grind for kielbasa, I grind half with a 1/4"
plate and half with a 1/2" plate then hand mix. I don't recommend
using fresh garlic for sausage, it's near impossible to get it to mix
evenly... granulated works much better.
http://www.alliedkenco.com/PDF/Kielbasa_Fresh.pdf
http://www.sausagemaker.com/polishsausage.aspx