Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Homemade Cream Soda

Made my first homemade cream soda yesterday. Dang, is it wonderful.
I like it best made with seltzer water rather than club soda.

Here's how I made it

Photos and step by step if interested.
http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...ream-soda.html

or
http://tinyurl.com/76vyhel

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Cream Soda

beverages

2 cups sugar
1 cup Water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
or a combination of vanilla and; almond extract

In a small saucepan add the two cups of sugar to one cup water. Slowly
bring to a boil, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved.
Remove from heat. Add the vanilla.
I like the combination of half a teaspoon of vanilla and half a
teaspoon of almond extract.
Cool the syrup.

In a 12 oz glass filled with ice, add about 1/8 cup of syrup, add
seltzer water, stir and enjoy. Add more or less syrup according to
your taste.

Notes: kokoscornerblog.com

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jul 15, 6:40*am, wrote:
> Made my first homemade cream soda yesterday. Dang, is it wonderful.
> I like it best made with seltzer water rather than club soda.

I checked out your blog. What size glass did you use? It looks
like there was way more soda mix than
seltzer. Have you made it in a larger glass with more soda?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 09:21:31 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Jul 15, 6:40*am, wrote:
>> Made my first homemade cream soda yesterday. Dang, is it wonderful.
>> I like it best made with seltzer water rather than club soda.

>I checked out your blog. What size glass did you use? It looks
>like there was way more soda mix than
>seltzer. Have you made it in a larger glass with more soda?

I use a 12 oz glass. The amount of syrup is 1/8 a cup or approximately
2 tablespoons syrup. There is more seltzer/soda than syrup. The syrup
is pretty sweet so more than that, for my taste, would be too much.
One of the nice things about making your own soda is you can mix it to
your liking. You like a sweeter, stronger flavored soda? add more
syrup. Me, I prefer it more "seltzier" or less sweet so I'm even
considering cutting back on the syrup even more, or, as you say, make
it in a larger glass.

Thank you for your questions. I hope you get a chance to make it
sometime soon.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jul 15, 2:47*pm, wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 09:21:31 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>
> > wrote:
> >On Jul 15, 6:40*am, wrote:
> >> Made my first homemade cream soda yesterday. Dang, is it wonderful.
> >> I like it best made with seltzer water rather than club soda.

> >I checked out your blog. * What size glass did you use? * It looks
> >like there was way more soda mix than
> >seltzer. * Have you made it in a larger glass with more soda?

> I use a 12 oz glass. The amount of syrup is 1/8 a cup or approximately
> 2 tablespoons syrup. There is more seltzer/soda than syrup. The syrup
> is pretty sweet so more than that, for my taste, would be too much.
> One of the nice things about making your own soda is you can mix it to
> your liking. You like a sweeter, stronger flavored soda? add more
> syrup. Me, I prefer it more "seltzier" or less sweet so I'm even
> considering cutting back on the syrup even more, or, as you say, make
> it in a larger glass.
>
> Thank you for your questions. I hope you get a chance to make it
> sometime soon.

I wonder if you can make it with stevia? I'm trying to cut sugar to
practically nothing these days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/15/2012 7:12 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Jul 15, 2:47 pm, wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 09:21:31 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>>
>> > wrote:

>>> I checked out your blog. What size glass did you use? It looks
>>> like there was way more soda mix than
>>> seltzer. Have you made it in a larger glass with more soda?

>> I use a 12 oz glass. The amount of syrup is 1/8 a cup or approximately
>> 2 tablespoons syrup. There is more seltzer/soda than syrup. The syrup
>> is pretty sweet so more than that, for my taste, would be too much.
>> One of the nice things about making your own soda is you can mix it to
>> your liking. You like a sweeter, stronger flavored soda? add more
>> syrup. Me, I prefer it more "seltzier" or less sweet so I'm even
>> considering cutting back on the syrup even more, or, as you say, make
>> it in a larger glass.
>>
>> Thank you for your questions. I hope you get a chance to make it
>> sometime soon.

> I wonder if you can make it with stevia? I'm trying to cut sugar to
> practically nothing these days.

My question, too. Stevia or even Splenda.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 17:12:51 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> I wonder if you can make it with stevia? I'm trying to cut sugar to
> practically nothing these days.

I don't see why not. Someone I know had a huge bag of dried stevia
leaves and gave me some. They're unbelievably sweet! I'd just steep
the leaves. You could put the stevia water into the soda maker and
carbonate it, but it won't have that creamy consistency of real cream
soda.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 17:12:51 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Jul 15, 2:47*pm, wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 09:21:31 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >I checked out your blog. * What size glass did you use? * It looks
>> >like there was way more soda mix than
>> >seltzer. * Have you made it in a larger glass with more soda?

>> I use a 12 oz glass. The amount of syrup is 1/8 a cup or approximately
>> 2 tablespoons syrup. There is more seltzer/soda than syrup. The syrup
>> is pretty sweet so more than that, for my taste, would be too much.
>> One of the nice things about making your own soda is you can mix it to
>> your liking. You like a sweeter, stronger flavored soda? add more
>> syrup. Me, I prefer it more "seltzier" or less sweet so I'm even
>> considering cutting back on the syrup even more, or, as you say, make
>> it in a larger glass.
>>
>> Thank you for your questions. I hope you get a chance to make it
>> sometime soon.

>I wonder if you can make it with stevia? I'm trying to cut sugar to
>practically nothing these days.

I know it can be made with splenda so I don't see why not.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> On Jul 15, 2:47 pm, wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 09:21:31 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>>
>> > wrote:
>>> I checked out your blog. What size glass did you use? It looks
>>> like there was way more soda mix than
>>> seltzer. Have you made it in a larger glass with more soda?

>> I use a 12 oz glass. The amount of syrup is 1/8 a cup or approximately
>> 2 tablespoons syrup. There is more seltzer/soda than syrup. The syrup
>> is pretty sweet so more than that, for my taste, would be too much.
>> One of the nice things about making your own soda is you can mix it to
>> your liking. You like a sweeter, stronger flavored soda? add more
>> syrup. Me, I prefer it more "seltzier" or less sweet so I'm even
>> considering cutting back on the syrup even more, or, as you say, make
>> it in a larger glass.
>>
>> Thank you for your questions. I hope you get a chance to make it
>> sometime soon.

> I wonder if you can make it with stevia? I'm trying to cut sugar to
> practically nothing these days.

Speaking of that... I came across the formula I was using for
sugar replacement (more geared to baking because if has the same
bulk as sugar--unlike Splenda, which just measures like sugar):

equivalent to 1 c of sugar:
1/2 c Diabetisweet (can one even find that now?)
1/4 xylitol
1/4 erythritol

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 7/15/2012 7:12 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
>> On Jul 15, 2:47 pm, wrote:
>>> On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 09:21:31 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags

>>> I use a 12 oz glass. The amount of syrup is 1/8 a cup or approximately
>>> 2 tablespoons syrup. There is more seltzer/soda than syrup. The syrup
>>> is pretty sweet so more than that, for my taste, would be too much.
>>> One of the nice things about making your own soda is you can mix it to
>>> your liking. You like a sweeter, stronger flavored soda? add more
>>> syrup. Me, I prefer it more "seltzier" or less sweet so I'm even
>>> considering cutting back on the syrup even more, or, as you say, make
>>> it in a larger glass.
>>>
>>> Thank you for your questions. I hope you get a chance to make it
>>> sometime soon.

>> I wonder if you can make it with stevia? I'm trying to cut sugar to
>> practically nothing these days.
>>

> My question, too. Stevia or even Splenda.

I think Splenda would work fine flavorwise, because you are not
contending with something that is sour to begin with. Of course,
you would lack the body of a normal syrup. Somewhere I think I
have a formula that is supposed to compensate for that. (I
believe the commercial product that did that went off the market a
few years ago. It might have been called NotSugar.)

--
Jean B.