Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What do you call those molded sugar decorations that people put on cookies, etc.?

What do you call those molded sugar decorations that people put on cookies,
etc.?

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 14:28:28 -0400, "Christopher M."
> wrote:

>What do you call those molded sugar decorations that people put on cookies,
>etc.?
>

>W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Cake and candy making supply store.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 14:17:06 -0500, John Kuthe >
wrote:

>On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 14:28:28 -0400, "Christopher M."
> wrote:
>
>>What do you call those molded sugar decorations that people put on cookies,
>>etc.?
>>

>>W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
>>

>Cake and candy making supply store.
>
>John Kuthe...

Oh, forgive me, I thought you said "where do I get them?"

I don't know what they are called. Call a cake and candy making supply
store and ask.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher*M. wrote:

>What do you call those molded sugar
> decorations that people put on cookies,
> etc.?

They are simply called "sprinkles". Some bottles of the colored ones
label them "decorating decor", or "decorating crystals", but sprinkles
works for me.

Why do you want to know?

Judy 2

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy Haffner wrote:
> Christopher M. wrote:
>
>> What do you call those molded sugar
>> decorations that people put on cookies,
>> etc.?

> They are simply called "sprinkles". Some bottles of the colored ones
> label them "decorating decor", or "decorating crystals", but sprinkles
> works for me.
>
> Why do you want to know?
>
> Judy 2

Not sprinkles. See MotoFox's reply.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MotoFox wrote:
> And it came to pass that John Kuthe delivered the following message
> unto the people, saying~
>
>> I don't know what they are called. Call a cake and candy making
>> supply store and ask.
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> They're just called "moulded sugar decorations" or "cake decorations"!
> Pooh kind of answered his own question there.

Thanks Mr. Fox.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/3/2012 8:28 AM, Christopher M. wrote:
> What do you call those molded sugar decorations that people put on cookies,
> etc.?
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

"Royal icing"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher M." wrote:

>What do you call those molded sugar decorations that people put on cookies,
>etc.?

Anyone who knows anything about cooking knows they're called Dragées.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag%C3%A9e

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/encycl...on/dragee/802/

http://www.globalsugarart.com/search...FUlN4AodTwq3Cw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> "Christopher M." wrote:
>>
>>What do you call those molded sugar decorations that people put on
>>cookies,
>>etc.?

> Anyone who knows anything about cooking knows they're called Dragées.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag%C3%A9e
>
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/encycl...on/dragee/802/
>
> http://www.globalsugarart.com/search...FUlN4AodTwq3Cw

Not what I was looking for. But interesting nonetheless. Thanks.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 7/3/2012 8:28 AM, Christopher M. wrote:
>> What do you call those molded sugar decorations that people put on
>> cookies,
>> etc.?
>>

>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
>>

> "Royal icing"

I guess that's one way to do it. Thanks.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 10:08:26 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>On 7/3/2012 8:28 AM, Christopher M. wrote:
>> What do you call those molded sugar decorations that people put on cookies,
>> etc.?
>>

>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
>>

>"Royal icing"

You're a Royal Asshole.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/3/2012 10:30 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 10:08:26 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On 7/3/2012 8:28 AM, Christopher M. wrote:
>>> What do you call those molded sugar decorations that people put on cookies,
>>> etc.?
>>>

>>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
>>>

>> "Royal icing"

> You're a Royal Asshole.

I know, I know. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Shelley is having some weird flashbacks.

> You're a Royal Asshole.

So far today, you've invoked "Asshole", "fellatio", and child
molesting. You're in the wrong venue for that kind of chatter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 3, 4:16*pm, George M. Middius > wrote:
> Shelley is having some weird flashbacks.
>
> > You're a Royal Asshole.

> So far today, you've invoked "Asshole", "fellatio", and child
> molesting. You're in the wrong venue for that kind of chatter.

He's gotten kicked out of some ISPs for his past behavior, although I
think some one or a few have relented and let him back in.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 3, 2:47*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> Christopher*M. wrote:
> >What do you call those molded sugar
> > decorations that people put on cookies,
> > etc.?

> They are simply called "sprinkles". Some bottles of the colored ones
> label them "decorating decor", or "decorating crystals", but sprinkles
> works for me.
>
> Why do you want to know?
>
> Judy 2

Not sprinkles, Judy, those little molded flowers and other hard candy
decorations used on top cakes and cupcakes.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/3/2012 2:24 PM, Christopher M. wrote:
> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
>> "Christopher M." wrote:
>>>
>>> What do you call those molded sugar decorations that people put on
>>> cookies,
>>> etc.?

>> Anyone who knows anything about cooking knows they're called Dragées.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag%C3%A9e
>>
>> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/encycl...on/dragee/802/
>>
>> http://www.globalsugarart.com/search...FUlN4AodTwq3Cw

> Not what I was looking for. But interesting nonetheless. Thanks.

Are you looking for pastillage? Most of the molded decorations are
pastillage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pennyaline" > wrote in message
> On 7/3/2012 2:24 PM, Christopher M. wrote:

>>> Anyone who knows anything about cooking knows they're called Dragées.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag%C3%A9e
>>>
>>> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/encycl...on/dragee/802/
>>>
>>> http://www.globalsugarart.com/search...FUlN4AodTwq3Cw

>> Not what I was looking for. But interesting nonetheless. Thanks.

> Are you looking for pastillage? Most of the molded decorations are
> pastillage.

Pastillage is a sugar-based dough according to this page.
http://www.pastrysampler.com/Questio...pastillage.htm

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/3/2012 4:34 PM, Christopher M. wrote:
> "Pennyaline" > wrote in message

>>> Not what I was looking for. But interesting nonetheless. Thanks.

>> Are you looking for pastillage? Most of the molded decorations are
>> pastillage.

> Pastillage is a sugar-based dough according to this page.
> http://www.pastrysampler.com/Questio...pastillage.htm

Right. Decorations are molded from the dough, then dried. Perhaps you
should have read a little further along, instead of stopping after the
first sentence:

"Pastillage is a sugar-based dough used for decorating and creating
decorations for pastry,

showpiece work and decorative molded forms. The dough is much like clay
or play-dough where you can knead it and roll it out.

Pastillage is worked then allowed to dry, setting up to a hard,
sugar-based decoration."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 16:24:11 -0400, "Christopher M."
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" wrote in message
.. .
>> "Christopher M." wrote:
>>>
>>>What do you call those molded sugar decorations that people put on
>>>cookies,
>>>etc.?

>> Anyone who knows anything about cooking knows they're called Dragées.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag%C3%A9e
>>
>> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/encycl...on/dragee/802/
>>
>> http://www.globalsugarart.com/search...FUlN4AodTwq3Cw

>Not what I was looking for.

Look between your legs, with a jeweler's loupe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 20:17:30 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 16:24:11 -0400, "Christopher M."

>>Not what I was looking for.

>Look between your legs, with a jeweler's loupe.

There's Sheldon's incessant preoccupation with the male anatomy
again!!!

Makes one wonder...

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/3/2012 12:34 PM, Christopher M. wrote:
> Pastillage is a sugar-based dough according to this page.
> http://www.pastrysampler.com/Questio...pastillage.htm
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

My guess is that you could make your own by mixing plain old granulated
sugar with some egg white to make a powdery mix. Pack into a mold and
let dry. You'll get some goofy sugar decorations which are similar to
sugar cubes. You could also use a gum paste recipe. It's kind of hard to
figure out what you're looking for cause you're kinda vague.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> >Look between your legs, with a jeweler's loupe.

> There's Sheldon's incessant preoccupation with the male anatomy
> again!!!

This week he's all about men & boys, right?

> Makes one wonder...

.... that Shelley has MPD? One week boobies out the wazoo, the next
cocks & asses up to his brows.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 7/3/2012 12:34 PM, Christopher M. wrote:
>> Pastillage is a sugar-based dough according to this page.
>> http://www.pastrysampler.com/Questio...pastillage.htm
>>

>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> My guess is that you could make your own by mixing plain old granulated
> sugar with some egg white to make a powdery mix. Pack into a mold and let
> dry. You'll get some goofy sugar decorations which are similar to sugar
> cubes. You could also use a gum paste recipe. It's kind of hard to figure
> out what you're looking for cause you're kinda vague.

I like this lobster decoration:
http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/cookie-face-lobster

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 3, 3:36*pm, "Christopher M." > wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message

> > On 7/3/2012 12:34 PM, Christopher M. wrote:
> >> Pastillage is a sugar-based dough according to this page.
> >>http://www.pastrysampler.com/Questio...pastillage.htm

> >> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> > My guess is that you could make your own by mixing plain old granulated
> > sugar with some egg white to make a powdery mix. Pack into a mold and let
> > dry. You'll get some goofy sugar decorations which are similar to sugar
> > cubes. You could also use a gum paste recipe. It's kind of hard to figure
> > out what you're looking for cause you're kinda vague.

> I like this lobster decoration:http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/cookie-face-lobster
>
> W. Pooh (AKA Winn

It's royal icing. No molding involved, it's done freehand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher wrote:

>Not sprinkles. See MotoFox's reply.

Sorry, I'll have to debate his/her reply, because I have a bag of little
bottles and the majority of them just say sprinkles on them, and the
rest say what I said in my earlier post. There are not from the same co.
either, but various brands. I've been baking for 63 years and have
always referred to them as sprinkles, as did my mother. Well, you get
the picture! :-)

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn wrote:

>You're an idiot.

Is that so?! Well, I'd rather be that than an ASS like you!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Jul 3, 3:36 pm, "Christopher M." > wrote:

>>> My guess is that you could make your own by mixing plain old
>>> granulated sugar with some egg white to make a powdery mix. Pack
>>> into a mold and let dry. You'll get some goofy sugar decorations
>>> which are similar to sugar cubes. You could also use a gum paste
>>> recipe. It's kind of hard to figure out what you're looking for
>>> cause you're kinda vague.

>> I like this lobster
>> decoration:http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/cookie-face-lobster
>>
>> W. Pooh (AKA Winn

> It's royal icing. No molding involved, it's done freehand.

Awesome.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-07-04 05:30:58 +0000, Judy Haffner said:

>> You're an idiot.

> Is that so?! Well, I'd rather be that than an ASS like you!

Can't we all just get along?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

> >> You're an idiot.

> > Is that so?! Well, I'd rather be that than an ASS like you!

> Can't we all just get along?

Nope.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy wrote:

>Not sprinkles, Judy, those little molded
> flowers and other hard candy
> decorations used on top cakes and
> cupcakes.

He asked what the "decorations" were people put on top of cookies, and
I've never seen (nor used) any kind of molded hard candy decorations for
on top of cookies. I have used them on tops of cakes, but yikes! those
things could break a tooth...seriously! I'd never use them on
anything the size of a cookie. For those I decorate with the sprinkles,
so I thought that's what he was referring to, but apparently our minds
were on different "channels".

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> Nancy wrote:
>
>>Not sprinkles, Judy, those little molded
>> flowers and other hard candy
>> decorations used on top cakes and
>> cupcakes.

> He asked what the "decorations" were people put on top of cookies, and
> I've never seen (nor used) any kind of molded hard candy decorations for
> on top of cookies. I have used them on tops of cakes, but yikes! those
> things could break a tooth...seriously! I'd never use them on
> anything the size of a cookie. For those I decorate with the sprinkles,
> so I thought that's what he was referring to, but apparently our minds
> were on different "channels".

I have both seen and used them. I just call them decorations. They might
be royal icing. They might just be molded sugar. It's just sugar and
liquid, either water or juice, perhaps with the addition of some egg white.
If there is egg white it is cooked first. Then pressed into a mold such as
you would use for chocolates. Let set, then pop it out and use it. If
royal icing, it is piped out onto foil or plastic. Again, let set.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 4, 12:28*am, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> Christopher wrote:
> >Not sprinkles. See MotoFox's reply.

> Sorry, I'll have to debate his/her reply, because I have a bag of little
> bottles and the majority of them just say sprinkles on them, and the
> rest say what I said in my earlier post. There are not from the same co.
> either, but various brands. I've been baking for 63 years and have
> always referred to them as sprinkles, as did my mother. Well, you get
> the picture! :-)
>
> Judy

Judy, are you talking about those 1-dimensional seasonal "sprinkles,"
like hearts, 4-leaf clovers, etc? The original question was about 3-
dimensional figures.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy wrote:

>Judy, are you talking about those
> 1-dimensional seasonal "sprinkles," like
> hearts, 4-leaf clovers, etc? The original
> question was about 3- dimensional
> figures.

Yes, that's all I've ever seen (or used) on certain cookies, other than
decorating them (like Jack O' Lanterns at Halloween) with frosting using
a pastry bag with a tip on the end.

Why would anyone use those larger rock-hard molded sugar decorations on
tops of cookies?

This was the OP's exact question....

Christopher*M.

>What do you call those molded sugar
> decorations that people put on cookies,
> etc.?

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn wrote:

>And the cullinarilly correct answer is:
> "Dragée". When you don't know just say
> so, or better yet don't respond at all...
> but don't pretend to know with wild
> guesses and alibis... give it up already,
> IDIOT!

And........you would be WRONG, "Mr. think-you-know-everything," smart
mouth!
Dragees are the very tiny round and very hard silver decorations used on
wedding cakes, etc.

Obviously from reading your posts in this group, everybody knows more
than you ever thought you did about cooking/baking. Your "knowledge"
comes from the internet obviously, rather than personal experience.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 5, 1:02*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> Brooklyn wrote:
> >And the cullinarilly correct answer is:
> > "Dragée". When you don't know just say
> > so, or better yet don't respond at all...
> > but don't pretend to know with wild
> > guesses and alibis... give it up already,
> > IDIOT!

> And........you would be WRONG, "Mr. think-you-know-everything," smart
> mouth!
> Dragees are the very tiny round and very hard silver decorations used on
> wedding cakes, etc.
>
> Obviously from reading your posts in this group, everybody knows more
> than you ever thought you did about cooking/baking. Your "knowledge"
> comes from the internet obviously, rather than personal experience.
>
> Judy

I thought I already posted that dragees are round little beads, but
maybe it went into the ether. You're correct, Judy, at least for this
group's purposes.

"French for "to dredge," a dragée (pronounced "dra-zhay")
traditionally refers to a colorful covered candy with a hard outer
shell and softer center, often used for decoration in addition to
eating.

"These days, the word is used loosely for most small coated candies,
from Jordan almonds to candy- and chocolate-coated sunflower seeds.

"Dragées can also describe the tiny metallic sugar spheres used to top
holiday cakes and cookies. " The original poster did not ask about
coated candies.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/5/2012 8:02 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Brooklyn wrote:
>
>> And the cullinarilly correct answer is:
>> "Dragée". When you don't know just say
>> so, or better yet don't respond at all...
>> but don't pretend to know with wild
>> guesses and alibis... give it up already,
>> IDIOT!

> And........you would be WRONG, "Mr. think-you-know-everything," smart
> mouth!
> Dragees are the very tiny round and very hard silver decorations used on
> wedding cakes, etc.
>
> Obviously from reading your posts in this group, everybody knows more
> than you ever thought you did about cooking/baking. Your "knowledge"
> comes from the internet obviously, rather than personal experience.
>
> Judy

I was ignorant about the dragée nomenclature but was surprised that
you-know-who didn't know about royal icing. Must have forgot to Google
it. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 11:26:53 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>On Jul 5, 1:02*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
>> Brooklyn wrote:
>> >And the cullinarilly correct answer is:
>> > "Dragée". When you don't know just say
>> > so, or better yet don't respond at all...
>> > but don't pretend to know with wild
>> > guesses and alibis... give it up already,
>> > IDIOT!

>> And........you would be WRONG, "Mr. think-you-know-everything," smart
>> mouth!
>> Dragees are the very tiny round and very hard silver decorations used on
>> wedding cakes, etc.
>>
>> Obviously from reading your posts in this group, everybody knows more
>> than you ever thought you did about cooking/baking. Your "knowledge"
>> comes from the internet obviously, rather than personal experience.
>>
>> Judy

>I thought I already posted that dragees are round little beads, but
>maybe it went into the ether. You're correct, Judy, at least for this
>group's purposes.
>
>"French for "to dredge," a dragée (pronounced "dra-zhay")
>traditionally refers to a colorful covered candy with a hard outer
>shell and softer center, often used for decoration in addition to
>eating.
>
>"These days, the word is used loosely for most small coated candies,
>from Jordan almonds to candy- and chocolate-coated sunflower seeds.
>
>"Dragées can also describe the tiny metallic sugar spheres used to top
>holiday cakes and cookies. " The original poster did not ask about
>coated candies.

Dragées is a term that encompass ALL configurations of small
decoratives used in cooking and baking... yoose idjits obviously don't
possess the reading comprehension to decipher the material at the web
sites I supplied. I purpsoely waited to see if anyone at rfc knew the
nomenclature, obviously none of yoose foodie frauds did until I
enlighted yoose pinheads... at least the honest ones were wise enough
to STFU, but not yoose two know nothing ****s... stay ignorant, I'm
done with this.

what would you call these cookies tert in seattle General Cooking 11 25-12-2007 03:01 AM
Sugar Cookies chefrwmiller Recipes (moderated) 0 19-12-2006 04:20 AM
Sugar Cookies Duckie ® Recipes 0 08-12-2005 04:05 PM
Sugar Cookies Duckie ® Recipes 0 13-07-2005 01:23 AM
Sugar Cookies Shanelle Baking 5 10-11-2003 12:37 PM