Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default public enemy number 1

http://southernurbanhomestead.files....rel-tomato.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 26, 8:42*am, "Somebody" > wrote:
> http://southernurbanhomestead.files....11/squirrel-to...

A few years back, a gang of squirrels murdered some people in
Toronto. They made a nest in a chimney, and carbon monoxide was
backed up into the house.
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e...sue-5/0580.htm
{
There was a home invasion in East Toronto in January, but in this case
the invisible and silent killer was not a criminal. Over the course of
2 days it left 2 people dead and two more clinging to life. The
stealthy invader was carbon monoxide, and it gained entry when a
squirrel's nest blocked a chimney, causing fumes to back up into the
house.

Bill Robinson of the Department of Toxicology at the Ontario Centre of
Forensic Science says CO poisoning is deceptive because initial
symptoms resemble the flu. They include a headache, which has been
compared with having an elastic band tightened around the head, as
well as nausea, weakness, confusion, stupor and coma. One visible sign
of CO poisoning is a characteristic cherry-red colouring of the cheeks
and lips. The danger it poses caused great concern during the recent
ice storm in Ontario and Quebec when the lack of electricity caused
people to run gas-powered generators near their homes. Several deaths
were attributed to it.

Carbon monoxide kills by combining irreversibly with blood hemoglobin.
Depending upon the amount of CO present in relation to the amount of
oxygen, the poison can kill within minutes or, as was the case in East
Toronto, over a few days.

Physicians who see patients with severe headache and nausea should
consider asking if is anyone else in the patient's home is
experiencing the same symptoms. If others are, they should be advised
to leave the home immediately and carbon monoxide levels should be
checked.

CO kills between 200 and 300 Ontarians a year. Although the problem is
usually confined to the winter months, deaths have occurred in summer
when boaters and campers use a gas heater in a confined space.

The tragedy in East Toronto caused a surge in sales of carbon monoxide
detectors, which cost from $40 to $60. Experts say one of the best
methods of prevention is a yearly furnace inspection.
}
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-06-26 13:24:29 +0000, A Moose in Love said:

> CO kills between 200 and 300 Ontarians a year. Although the problem is
> usually confined to the winter months, deaths have occurred in summer
> when boaters and campers use a gas heater in a confined space.

That's surprising. I figured as many people have CO alarms as have
fire alarms. They only cost a few bucks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> "Somebody" > wrote:
>
>> http://southernurbanhomestead.files..../squirrel-toma
>> to.jpg

> My then wife put out handfuls of peanuts on the back deck, for the joy
> of watching them break open the shells. After the divorce, they still cam
> around to check for treasure on a steady basis for a year or so.
>
> Furry rodents!!!
>
> My red foxes did away with most of them and the chipmunks.
>
> A day after we moved in, while showing friends and family around the
> property, walking the back deck, we were followed by a red fox. We were
> just inside looking out when the fox came up to the picture window and
> peered in at us, then dejectedly trotted off into the woods.
>
> The original owners neglected to tell us if they were feeding the
> wildlife.
>
> Neighbors relayed an anecdote that the foxes, at sundown, would sit at
> the top of the driveway, looking as regal as could be, readying for the
> hunt. They live under the cabana, poolside.
>
> Many local residents consider them pests. I consider them good omens.
> After all, I live on Foxcatcher Lane. Gotta have 'em!
>
> Andy

I love the foxes that cavort in our yard. They don't get too close though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

> > CO kills between 200 and 300 Ontarians a year. Although the problem is
> > usually confined to the winter months, deaths have occurred in summer
> > when boaters and campers use a gas heater in a confined space.

> That's surprising. I figured as many people have CO alarms as have
> fire alarms. They only cost a few bucks.

Maybe they're not required in buildings in the GWN.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> "Somebody" > wrote:
>
>> http://southernurbanhomestead.files..../squirrel-toma
>> to.jpg

> My then wife put out handfuls of peanuts on the back deck, for the joy
> of watching them break open the shells. After the divorce, they still cam
> around to check for treasure on a steady basis for a year or so.
>
> Furry rodents!!!
>
> My red foxes did away with most of them and the chipmunks.
>
> A day after we moved in, while showing friends and family around the
> property, walking the back deck, we were followed by a red fox. We were
> just inside looking out when the fox came up to the picture window and
> peered in at us, then dejectedly trotted off into the woods.
>
> The original owners neglected to tell us if they were feeding the
> wildlife.
>
> Neighbors relayed an anecdote that the foxes, at sundown, would sit at
> the top of the driveway, looking as regal as could be, readying for the
> hunt. They live under the cabana, poolside.
>
> Many local residents consider them pests. I consider them good omens.
> After all, I live on Foxcatcher Lane. Gotta have 'em!
>
> Andy

I use Firefox.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 26, 5:42*am, "Somebody" > wrote:
> http://southernurbanhomestead.files....11/squirrel-to...

Maybe you should start feeding the squirrels unshelled peanuts.
They'll be busy burying them and may leave your toms alone...
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-06-26 18:28:13 +0000, merryb said:

> On Jun 26, 5:42*am, "Somebody" > wrote:
>> http://southernurbanhomestead.files....11/squirrel-to...

> Maybe you should start feeding the squirrels unshelled peanuts.
> They'll be busy burying them and may leave your toms alone...

I feed my squirrles raw almonds. I put 4 or 5 around the knobs and
bumps of my olive tree (in front of the window by my office here), and
it takes a week for them to find and stash them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
On Jun 26, 5:42 am, "Somebody" > wrote:
> http://southernurbanhomestead.files....11/squirrel-to...

Maybe you should start feeding the squirrels unshelled peanuts.
They'll be busy burying them and may leave your toms alone...

---

I think the squirrels will just get fatter and will have more abhorrent
offspring.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 12:40:21 -0400, George M. Middius
> wrote:

>gtr wrote:
>
>> > CO kills between 200 and 300 Ontarians a year. Although the problem is
>> > usually confined to the winter months, deaths have occurred in summer
>> > when boaters and campers use a gas heater in a confined space.

>> That's surprising. I figured as many people have CO alarms as have
>> fire alarms. They only cost a few bucks.

>Maybe they're not required in buildings in the GWN.

Many places don't require them, but it is common sense to have them.
Unfortunately, there is a big lack of common sense. You can get them
for $20.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> "Somebody" > wrote:
>> I use Firefox.

> That makes you a respectable man about town!
>
> Andy

Shhh!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/06/2012 9:24 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:

> CO kills between 200 and 300 Ontarians a year. Although the problem is
> usually confined to the winter months, deaths have occurred in summer
> when boaters and campers use a gas heater in a confined space.

That many?? You would expect that there would be more news reports about
it. According to the article I read there 414 CO deaths in Canada.....
between 2000 and 2007, ... about 60 per year. Of those, 87 were in
Ontario, about 11 per year..... a little short of your 200-300 per year.

http://www.safekidscanada.ca/Profess...revention.aspx

> The tragedy in East Toronto caused a surge in sales of carbon monoxide
> detectors, which cost from $40 to $60. Experts say one of the best
> methods of prevention is a yearly furnace inspection.
> }

True. The mother and stepfather of a friend of my son almost died a
couple years ago. Some critter had built a nest in the exhaust from
their furnace.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> "Somebody" > wrote:

>>> That makes you a respectable man about town!
>>>
>>> Andy

> OK, a Well respect man about town.

Depends who you ask.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/26/2012 7:41 AM, Somebody wrote:

> I use Firefox.

Firefox for Android has just been released. It's the best program for
mobile platforms. It's faster than any browser out there except maybe
Chrome for Android. If you have an android phone you gotta try Firefox.