Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default raw coconut meat storage?

OK in fridge in a Rubbermaid? Or brown paper bag?
How long edible?

TIA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 22, 5:37*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> OK in fridge in a Rubbermaid? *Or brown paper bag?
> How long edible?
>
> TIA

freeze pretty quick and use as needed. It goes brown and bad just
sitting around.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 22, 9:37*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:

> freeze pretty quick and use as needed. * It goes brown and bad just
> sitting around.

THanks. After what I went thru to get it opened............I sure
want to preserve it. Some pretty good youtubes on handling coconuts,
btw.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 6/23/2012 7:50 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Jun 22, 9:37 pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
>

>> freeze pretty quick and use as needed. It goes brown and bad just
>> sitting around.

> THanks. After what I went thru to get it opened............I sure
> want to preserve it. Some pretty good youtubes on handling coconuts,
> btw.

In the recent Cook's Illustrated (July & August 2012, pg. 5), there's a
blurb about 'Shelling Fresh Coconut' ---> "1) Freeze whole coconut
overnight; 2) Whack the frozen fruit around its equator with the dull
side of a cleaver and then peel the shell off the meat. Additional
benefit: The coconut water inside will be frozen, making it easy to
remove without any spillage or waste." Apparently, " . . . freezing the
whole coconut makes the shell pop away from the flesh as soon as you
crack it open." HTH.

Sky, who very rarely buys a whole fresh coconut

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> On Jun 22, 9:37 pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
>

>> freeze pretty quick and use as needed. It goes brown and bad just
>> sitting around.

> THanks. After what I went thru to get it opened............I sure
> want to preserve it. Some pretty good youtubes on handling coconuts,
> btw.

Truly fresh coconut isn't what you see at the supermarket as a large brown
hairy nut. First you have to chop through the outer husk, which is usually
green and fairly dense. In Thailand they used a machete. Then you get to
the "nut", which seems impenetrable. If you don't have a machete, use a
very strong cleaver to crack it open. Do your best to retain and freeze the
coconut milk (maybe you like Thai food? Or add some sugar and make pina
coladas). Then pick out the coconut meat from the nut. If you want to,
shred it. Then freeze the rest for long term use. JMHO.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> On 6/23/2012 7:50 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>> On Jun 22, 9:37 pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
>>

>>> freeze pretty quick and use as needed. It goes brown and bad just
>>> sitting around.

>> THanks. After what I went thru to get it opened............I sure
>> want to preserve it. Some pretty good youtubes on handling coconuts,
>> btw.

> In the recent Cook's Illustrated (July & August 2012, pg. 5), there's a
> blurb about 'Shelling Fresh Coconut' ---> "1) Freeze whole coconut
> overnight; 2) Whack the frozen fruit around its equator with the dull side
> of a cleaver and then peel the shell off the meat. Additional benefit:
> The coconut water inside will be frozen, making it easy to remove without
> any spillage or waste." Apparently, " . . . freezing the whole coconut
> makes the shell pop away from the flesh as soon as you crack it open."
> HTH.
>
> Sky, who very rarely buys a whole fresh coconut

Excellent suggestion, Sky. I never would have thought about freezing a
coconut. Makes perfect sense.

Jill, who hasn't bought fresh coconut in 30 years

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 8:34*am, Sky > wrote:
> On 6/23/2012 7:50 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>
> > On Jun 22, 9:37 pm, ImStillMags > wrote:

> >> freeze pretty quick and use as needed. * It goes brown and bad just
> >> sitting around.

> > THanks. *After what I went thru to get it opened............I sure
> > want to preserve it. *Some pretty good youtubes on handling coconuts,
> > btw.

> In the recent Cook's Illustrated (July & August 2012, pg. 5), there's a
> blurb about 'Shelling Fresh Coconut' *---> *"1) Freeze whole coconut
> overnight; 2) Whack the frozen fruit around its equator with the dull
> side of a cleaver and then peel the shell off the meat. *Additional
> benefit: The coconut water inside will be frozen, making it easy to
> remove without any spillage or waste." *Apparently, " . . . freezing the
> whole coconut makes the shell pop away from the flesh as soon as you
> crack it open." *HTH.
>
> Sky, who very rarely buys a whole fresh coconut
>
> --
>
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Very cool tip- thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 12:58*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Kalmia" > wrote in message

> > On Jun 22, 9:37 pm, ImStillMags > wrote:

> >> freeze pretty quick and use as needed. * It goes brown and bad just
> >> sitting around.

> > THanks. *After what I went thru to get it opened............I sure
> > want to preserve it. *Some pretty good youtubes on handling coconuts,
> > btw.

> Truly fresh coconut isn't what you see at the supermarket as a large brown
> hairy nut. *First you have to chop through the outer husk, which is usually
> green and fairly dense. *In Thailand they used a machete. *Then you get to
> the "nut", which seems impenetrable. *If you don't have a machete, use a
> very strong cleaver to crack it open. *Do your best to retain and freeze the
> coconut milk (maybe you like Thai food? *Or add some sugar and make pina
> coladas). *Then pick out the coconut meat from the nut. *If you want to,
> shred it. *Then freeze the rest for long term use. *JMHO.
>
> Jill

I put some thru my FP and had on cereal. Froze the rest.

I will have to try the freeze first method of opening that nut.

There are also youtubes showing how to remove that outer shell.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 10:34:48 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

> On Jun 23, 8:34*am, Sky > wrote:

> > > THanks. *After what I went thru to get it opened............I sure
> > > want to preserve it. *Some pretty good youtubes on handling coconuts,
> > > btw.

> > In the recent Cook's Illustrated (July & August 2012, pg. 5), there's a
> > blurb about 'Shelling Fresh Coconut' *---> *"1) Freeze whole coconut
> > overnight; 2) Whack the frozen fruit around its equator with the dull
> > side of a cleaver and then peel the shell off the meat. *Additional
> > benefit: The coconut water inside will be frozen, making it easy to
> > remove without any spillage or waste." *Apparently, " . . . freezing the
> > whole coconut makes the shell pop away from the flesh as soon as you
> > crack it open." *HTH.
> >
> > Sky, who very rarely buys a whole fresh coconut
> >

> Very cool tip- thanks!

If you want to harvest the water, poke in the coconut "eyes" and pour
it out. I crack open the shell with a hammer and then put it into a
hot oven for a few minutes. The flesh doesn't have enough time to
cook, but it releases from the shell easily.