Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Simple and Flavored Syrups - Observations

Just a few observations based on my making syrups he

It's easiest in a microwave and the results are good. We have 1200 W
microwave that generally cooks everything much faster than package
directions call for, and my procedure is: 1-1/4 cups water and 1-1/4
cups sugar in a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup. Microwave for 1 min, stir,
microwave for another minute, stir again, then another :30 to finish.

I've been experimenting with "healthy" sugars. I use Organic sugar for
my simple syrup - it's a little molasses colored but still neutral
enough to work fine in everything we've tried, including various hot and
iced teas and coffees. I use Turbinado sugar when I'm making vanilla
syrup - it's quite a bit darker than what I get using Organic and it
takes a bit more stirring, but the results are really delicious. And,
as mentioned previously here, I use a lot of vanilla in my vanilla
syrup - I use 1/4 cup of Trader Joe's Bourbon Vanilla Extract for each
cup of water. (One of these days I'll get around to making my own using
vanilla beans...)

Thar ye have it, maties - any other things about making syrups, please
chime right in.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-06-14, Steve Freides > wrote:
> Just a few observations based on my making syrups he
>
> It's easiest in a microwave and the results are good. We have 1200 W
> microwave that generally cooks everything much faster than package
> directions call for, and my procedure is: 1-1/4 cups water and 1-1/4
> cups sugar in a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup. Microwave for 1 min, stir,
> microwave for another minute, stir again, then another :30 to finish.

WTF!! are you talking about?

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On 14 Jun 2012 02:29:12 GMT, notbob wrote:
>
>> On 2012-06-14, Steve Freides > wrote:
>>> Just a few observations based on my making syrups he
>>>
>>> It's easiest in a microwave and the results are good. We have 1200
>>> W microwave that generally cooks everything much faster than package
>>> directions call for, and my procedure is: 1-1/4 cups water and
>>> 1-1/4 cups sugar in a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup. Microwave for 1
>>> min, stir, microwave for another minute, stir again, then another
>>> :30 to finish.

>> WTF!! are you talking about?

> Just a wild guess here, but I would bet that he's making flavored
> syrups from concentrated natural and artificial flavorings.

Yes.

Syrups are easy to make, easy to get exactly the flavor you want, easy
to experiment with - no reason to buy them that I can see. We use
simply syrup in place of sugar in hot and iced tea - it dissolves better
and seems less fuss to use than keeping a sugar bowl around. We use
vanilla-flavored syrup to make coffee dessert things, e.g., an iced
vanilla latte is a very popular beverage in our house. We have a home
seltzer maker and also use the vanilla syrup to make cream soda. Old
TJ's olive oil bottles are our storage for these - we cycle them out
every few months.

Next on my list is making my own vanilla extract - my sister tells me
she buys a bottle of Bourbon, splits a few vanilla beans, and just lets
the bean soak in the liquor for a few days. After that, she fine grinds
the beans, outsides and all, she tells me, and uses it to make homemade
vanilla ice cream.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote:

>Just a few observations based on my making syrups he
>
>It's easiest in a microwave and the results are good. We have 1200 W
>microwave that generally cooks everything much faster than package
>directions call for, and my procedure is: 1-1/4 cups water and 1-1/4
>cups sugar in a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup. Microwave for 1 min, stir,
>microwave for another minute, stir again, then another :30 to finish.
>
>I've been experimenting with "healthy" sugars.

Have you looked into Panela? Just wondering if it is much
different nutritionally than other sugars. It is unrefined, so
it is dark-- but it reminds me of maple sugar in its level of
sweetness.

I'm using it for some ginger beer experiments & like both the color
and flavor.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> "Steve Freides" > wrote:
>
>> Just a few observations based on my making syrups he
>>
>> It's easiest in a microwave and the results are good. We have 1200 W
>> microwave that generally cooks everything much faster than package
>> directions call for, and my procedure is: 1-1/4 cups water and 1-1/4
>> cups sugar in a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup. Microwave for 1 min,
>> stir, microwave for another minute, stir again, then another :30 to
>> finish.
>>
>> I've been experimenting with "healthy" sugars.

> Have you looked into Panela? Just wondering if it is much
> different nutritionally than other sugars. It is unrefined, so
> it is dark-- but it reminds me of maple sugar in its level of
> sweetness.
>
> I'm using it for some ginger beer experiments & like both the color
> and flavor.

Thank you - I have learned something new. From what I read just now,
organic sugar is less processed than normal refined sugar, and turbinado
sugar still less processed, but Panela is even less processed, so it's
worthy of my consideration. I will try to pick some up locally or order
it. My guess is that the local Whole Paychex will carry it.

Thanks again.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:
> Just a few observations based on my making syrups he
>
> It's easiest in a microwave and the results are good. We have 1200 W
> microwave that generally cooks everything much faster than package
> directions call for, and my procedure is: 1-1/4 cups water and 1-1/4
> cups sugar in a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup. Microwave for 1 min, stir,
> microwave for another minute, stir again, then another :30 to finish.
>
> I've been experimenting with "healthy" sugars. I use Organic sugar for
> my simple syrup - it's a little molasses colored but still neutral
> enough to work fine in everything we've tried, including various hot and
> iced teas and coffees. I use Turbinado sugar when I'm making vanilla
> syrup - it's quite a bit darker than what I get using Organic and it
> takes a bit more stirring, but the results are really delicious. And,
> as mentioned previously here, I use a lot of vanilla in my vanilla
> syrup - I use 1/4 cup of Trader Joe's Bourbon Vanilla Extract for each
> cup of water. (One of these days I'll get around to making my own using
> vanilla beans...)
>
> Thar ye have it, maties - any other things about making syrups, please
> chime right in.
>
> -S-

Interesting. I am about to embark on making syrups myself.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> Just a few observations based on my making syrups he
>
> It's easiest in a microwave and the results are good. We have 1200 W
> microwave that generally cooks everything much faster than package
> directions call for, and my procedure is: 1-1/4 cups water and 1-1/4 cups
> sugar in a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup. Microwave for 1 min, stir,
> microwave for another minute, stir again, then another :30 to finish.
>
> I've been experimenting with "healthy" sugars. I use Organic sugar for my
> simple syrup - it's a little molasses colored but still neutral enough to
> work fine in everything we've tried, including various hot and iced teas
> and coffees. I use Turbinado sugar when I'm making vanilla syrup - it's
> quite a bit darker than what I get using Organic and it takes a bit more
> stirring, but the results are really delicious. And, as mentioned
> previously here, I use a lot of vanilla in my vanilla syrup - I use 1/4
> cup of Trader Joe's Bourbon Vanilla Extract for each cup of water. (One
> of these days I'll get around to making my own using vanilla beans...)
>
> Thar ye have it, maties - any other things about making syrups, please
> chime right in.
>
> -S-

Great idea.

Be careful though. One time I tried to make caramel in the microwave and my
plastic bowl melted, from the heat released by the caramelizing sugar.

I'd like to make some nectar syrup (almond & vanilla, with some red food
coloring).

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:
> Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>> "Steve Freides" > wrote:
>>
>>> Just a few observations based on my making syrups he
>>>
>>> It's easiest in a microwave and the results are good. We have 1200
>>> W microwave that generally cooks everything much faster than package
>>> directions call for, and my procedure is: 1-1/4 cups water and
>>> 1-1/4 cups sugar in a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup. Microwave for 1
>>> min, stir, microwave for another minute, stir again, then another
>>> :30 to finish.
>>>
>>> I've been experimenting with "healthy" sugars.

>> Have you looked into Panela? Just wondering if it is much
>> different nutritionally than other sugars. It is unrefined,
>> so it is dark-- but it reminds me of maple sugar in its level of
>> sweetness.
>>
>> I'm using it for some ginger beer experiments & like both the color
>> and flavor.

> Thank you - I have learned something new. From what I read just now,
> organic sugar is less processed than normal refined sugar, and
> turbinado sugar still less processed, but Panela is even less
> processed, so it's worthy of my consideration. I will try to pick
> some up locally or order it. My guess is that the local Whole
> Paychex will carry it.
> Thanks again.
>
> -S-

An update - Whole Foods does not carry this, but there is a Goya version
that, I'm hoping, will be at one of the more run-of-the-mill grocery
stores in our town.

-S-

rice syrups Forbeo General Cooking 6 30-08-2007 07:58 PM
Syrups Jarkat2002 General Cooking 2 09-12-2004 08:18 PM
Wine from Syrups Darren George Winemaking 16 30-10-2004 12:40 AM
Keeping simple syrups Nexis General Cooking 4 03-07-2004 08:47 AM
X flavored Doritos same as old Taco flavored Doritos (circa 1995) Roland Marsey Marketplace 0 19-06-2004 10:24 PM