Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default decent places to eat and buy in Palm Springs CA

We visited Palm Springs in late February thru March, liked it so
much we bought a condo. Going back down now to set the place up
with furniture etc. so its ready to go when we come back down next
fall. Kitchen has a stove and a microwave, no fridge. We have a
little portable electric fridge that we'll use for essentials until we
get a real fridge delivered but who knows how long that will take?
We'll doubtless be living in some kind of hotel/motel the first
couple of nights and will have to eat out. Our earlier experience
this year past was mainly in rented condos (with their own kitchens)
and hotels that offered deals for their on-site restaurants so we
don't have a lot of experience with Palm Springs eateries. Also,
do any of the members of this NG have knowledge of grocery stores in
the Palm Springs area? We visited a few last time down- there are
some odd ones- Big Lots for example. There is Vons, which is
apparently an extension of Safeway. Costco of course but many miles
away in Palm Desert.
There is another that I think is called "Food for Less" or something
similar quite close (1 mile or so) to the condo we bought.

Yeah I know I could probably Google answers to the questions posed,
but we're leaving for the South this weekend and we have a shitload of
stuff to do here at home before we leave, so any and all advice from
members of this NG is warmly welcomed.

Jimmy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 30, 2012 6:57:55 PM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
> We visited Palm Springs in late February thru March, liked it so
> much we bought a condo. Going back down now to set the place up
> with furniture etc. so its ready to go when we come back down next
> fall. Kitchen has a stove and a microwave, no fridge. We have a
> little portable electric fridge that we'll use for essentials until we
> get a real fridge delivered but who knows how long that will take?
> We'll doubtless be living in some kind of hotel/motel the first
> couple of nights and will have to eat out. Our earlier experience
> this year past was mainly in rented condos (with their own kitchens)
> and hotels that offered deals for their on-site restaurants so we
> don't have a lot of experience with Palm Springs eateries. Also,
> do any of the members of this NG have knowledge of grocery stores in
> the Palm Springs area? We visited a few last time down- there are
> some odd ones- Big Lots for example. There is Vons, which is
> apparently an extension of Safeway. Costco of course but many miles
> away in Palm Desert.
> There is another that I think is called "Food for Less" or something
> similar quite close (1 mile or so) to the condo we bought.
>
> Yeah I know I could probably Google answers to the questions posed,
> but we're leaving for the South this weekend and we have a shitload of
> stuff to do here at home before we leave, so any and all advice from
> members of this NG is warmly welcomed.
>
> Jimmy

Jimmy - Big Lots is not so much a grocery store as an overstock clearance store, although their stock selection does include food. Food 4 Less is a Kroger company, often carrying clearance and near expiry items from other Kroger stores.

You've got all the major Southern California grocery players - Albertsons, Ralphs, Vons and Stater Bros. Fresh and Easy is making in-roads, similarly priced as other major retailers, smaller but "higher end" inventory. Smart & Final is Costco light, bulk items at reduced prices (not as cheap as Costco), lots of basic restaurant supply goods as well.

As is common in Southern Cal, you'll have multiple Hispanic clientele markets, mainly carnicerias, and it looks like you might have an oriental market or two as well.

[TN] '02 Lytton Springs Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 1 13-04-2011 06:43 AM
[TN] '00 Lytton Springs Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 0 09-02-2009 03:49 AM
TN: St Innocent 7 Springs DaleW Wine 3 15-10-2005 02:04 PM
TN: Decent Burg, not-so-decent Riesling Dale Williams Wine 0 25-05-2004 03:19 PM
Palm Springs, CA sushi Hansen Sushi 7 28-12-2003 06:20 AM