Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tin of mackerel too big

When we buy mackerel in tins we normally now pay about 89p for one of those
small rectangular 120gm tins. But we noticed in our big Tesco store some
good tasting big tins of mackerel (about 400gm or so,) for about £1.30 which
is much better value for money.

The problem is it's too much for us to eat all at one go. Would it possible
to freeze say half the tin, or is it out of the question to freeze tinned
foods like this? Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"john east" wrote:

>When we buy mackerel in tins we normally now pay about 89p for one of those
>small rectangular 120gm tins. But we noticed in our big Tesco store some
>good tasting big tins of mackerel (about 400gm or so,) for about £1.30 which
>is much better value for money.
>
>The problem is it's too much for us to eat all at one go. Would it possible
>to freeze say half the tin, or is it out of the question to freeze tinned
>foods like this?

I'd buy like 2-3 large tins and make croquettes, eat some now and they
also freeze well... of course with cats tinned fish goes bye bye fast.
I happen to like tinned mackerel, it's actually better than the tinned
tuna of late.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 2:21*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 07:43:31 +0100, john east wrote:
> > When we buy mackerel in tins we normally now pay about 89p for one of those
> > small rectangular 120gm tins. But we noticed in our big Tesco store some
> > good tasting big tins of mackerel (about 400gm or so,) for about £1.30 which
> > is much better value for money.

> > The problem is it's too much for us to eat all at one go. *Would it possible
> > to freeze say half the tin, or is it out of the question to freeze tinned
> > foods like this? Thanks

> Just make some tuna-like salad and eat it in the next 3 days.
>
> Why are so many people afraid to eat something within a few days? *Why
> bother fretting about it? *I go through my fridge every day and see
> what's "mustgovian", and if so, I make something of it. *(And eat it,
> duh).
>
> US$.80 worth of mackerel would be the least of my problems. *I've got
> a pound of semi-fresh "fig nuggets" I need to use up. *Now THAT is
> something worth fretting about. *I HATE figs. *This is going to be
> tough. *Trade ya?

How did someone who hates figs end up with a pound of fig nuggets?

> -sw

--Bryan, who also hates figs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 08:37:29 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>"john east" wrote:
>>
>>When we buy mackerel in tins we normally now pay about 89p for one of those
>>small rectangular 120gm tins. But we noticed in our big Tesco store some
>>good tasting big tins of mackerel (about 400gm or so,) for about £1.30 which
>>is much better value for money.
>>
>>The problem is it's too much for us to eat all at one go. Would it possible
>>to freeze say half the tin, or is it out of the question to freeze tinned
>>foods like this?

>I'd buy like 2-3 large tins and make croquettes, eat some now and they
>also freeze well... of course with cats tinned fish goes bye bye fast.
>I happen to like tinned mackerel, it's actually better than the tinned
>tuna of late.

Canned mackerel is cat food, Sheldon! Ick!

I mean, I'd eat it if I were starving, but just!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 8:49*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 08:37:29 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> >"john east" wrote:

> >>When we buy mackerel in tins we normally now pay about 89p for one of those
> >>small rectangular 120gm tins. But we noticed in our big Tesco store some
> >>good tasting big tins of mackerel (about 400gm or so,) for about £1.30 which
> >>is much better value for money.

> >>The problem is it's too much for us to eat all at one go. *Would it possible
> >>to freeze say half the tin, or is it out of the question to freeze tinned
> >>foods like this?

> >I'd buy like 2-3 large tins and make croquettes, eat some now and they
> >also freeze well... of course with cats tinned fish goes bye bye fast.
> >I happen to like tinned mackerel, it's actually better than the tinned
> >tuna of late.

> Canned mackerel is cat food, Sheldon! Ick!
>
> I mean, I'd eat it if I were starving, but just!!

I'm not sure my cat would even eat it unless she was starving. I'll
happily eat sardines, and canned red salmon isn't bad. Even canned
tuna isn't awful. Canned pink salmon pretty much crosses the line,
but to eat canned mackerel, I'd have to be pretty down on my luck.

It's being a Rossini morning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7O91GDWGPU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igLBmYY7rpo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O6APyu868o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OloXRhesab0

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

> > Canned mackerel is cat food, Sheldon! Ick!

> I'm not sure my cat would even eat it unless she was starving.

Fancy Feast used to sell a can of mackerel, and my cats loved it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 2:43*am, "john east" > wrote:
> When we buy mackerel in tins we normally now pay about 89p for one of those
> small rectangular 120gm tins. But we noticed in our big Tesco store some
> good tasting big tins of mackerel (about 400gm or so,) for about £1.30 which
> is much better value for money.
>
> The problem is it's too much for us to eat all at one go. *Would it possible
> to freeze say half the tin, or is it out of the question to freeze tinned
> foods like this? Thanks

Is it worth fretting over this to save a little money?
Can you mix it into some kind of a dip? Offer it to wildlife?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> john east wrote:
>
>> When we buy mackerel in tins we normally now pay about 89p for one of those
>> small rectangular 120gm tins. But we noticed in our big Tesco store some
>> good tasting big tins of mackerel (about 400gm or so,) for about £1.30 which
>> is much better value for money.

That's the only size I see in stores here in the US.

>> The problem is it's too much for us to eat all at one go. Would it possible
>> to freeze say half the tin, or is it out of the question to freeze tinned
>> foods like this? Thanks

> Just make some tuna-like salad and eat it in the next 3 days.

It's strong enough I would eat it one day and trash the rest. I like
sardines but mackerel is so strong I only like it on rare occasions.
It's way past anchovie in intensity.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 1:47*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 19:01:16 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger wrote:
> > It's strong enough I would eat it one day and trash the rest. *I like
> > sardines but mackerel is so strong I only like it on rare occasions.
> > It's way past anchovie in intensity.

> I don't think it's that much stronger than sardines. *I like strongly
> flavored foods anyway. *I just had Roquefort, braunschweiger, and
> caraway rye Triscuits for lunch.
>
> -sw

Yeah, you're a real trend setter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> US$.80 worth of mackerel would be the least of my problems. I've got
> a pound of semi-fresh "fig nuggets" I need to use up. Now THAT is
> something worth fretting about. I HATE figs. This is going to be
> tough.

If you hate figs, why do you have some to eat up? Why do you have them in
the first place and why do you feel the need to eat them? Just wondering.
That was a strange comment coming from a gourmand.

Gary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 17:24:20 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> US$.80 worth of mackerel would be the least of my problems. I've got
>> "fag nuggets" I need to use up. Now THAT is something worth fretting
>> about. I HATE fags.

>If you hate figs, why do you have some to eat up? Why do you have them in
>the first place and why do you feel the need to eat them? Just wondering.
>That was a strange comment coming from a gourmand.
>
>Gary

Try reading that again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Apr 18, 12:21*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 07:43:31 +0100, john east wrote:
> > When we buy mackerel in tins we normally now pay about 89p for one of those
> > small rectangular 120gm tins. But we noticed in our big Tesco store some
> > good tasting big tins of mackerel (about 400gm or so,) for about £1.30 which
> > is much better value for money.

> > The problem is it's too much for us to eat all at one go. *Would it possible
> > to freeze say half the tin, or is it out of the question to freeze tinned
> > foods like this? Thanks

> Just make some tuna-like salad and eat it in the next 3 days.
>
> Why are so many people afraid to eat something within a few days? *Why
> bother fretting about it? *I go through my fridge every day and see
> what's "mustgovian", and if so, I make something of it. *(And eat it,
> duh).
>
> US$.80 worth of mackerel would be the least of my problems. *I've got
> a pound of semi-fresh "fig nuggets" I need to use up. *Now THAT is
> something worth fretting about. *I HATE figs. *This is going to be
> tough. *Trade ya?
>
> -sw

make some fig jam.....it's good
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown wrote:

> > I don't think it's that much stronger than sardines. *I like strongly
> > flavored foods anyway. *I just had Roquefort, braunschweiger, and
> > caraway rye Triscuits for lunch.

> Yeah, you're a real trend setter.

Probably a heavy smoker.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 17:24:20 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>>
>>> US$.80 worth of mackerel would be the least of my problems. I've got
>>> a pound of semi-fresh "fig nuggets" I need to use up. Now THAT is
>>> something worth fretting about. I HATE figs. This is going to be
>>> tough.

>> If you hate figs, why do you have some to eat up? Why do you have them in
>> the first place and why do you feel the need to eat them? Just
>> wondering.
>> That was a strange comment coming from a gourmand.

> They were given to me against my will and I'm not one to waste food.
>
> -sw

give it to somebody else against their will.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bull" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> "john east" wrote:
>> >
>> >When we buy mackerel in tins we normally now pay about 89p for one of
>> >those
>> >small rectangular 120gm tins. But we noticed in our big Tesco store some
>> >good tasting big tins of mackerel (about 400gm or so,) for about £1.30
>> >which
>> >is much better value for money.
>> >
>> >The problem is it's too much for us to eat all at one go. Would it
>> >possible
>> >to freeze say half the tin, or is it out of the question to freeze
>> >tinned
>> >foods like this?

>> I'd buy like 2-3 large tins and make croquettes, eat some now and they
>> also freeze well... of course with me and the cats tinned fish goes bye
>> bye fast.
>> I happen to like tinned mackerel, it's actually better than the tinned
>> tuna of late.

> Dear bait bucket breath -- canned mackerel is not EVEN fit for human
> consumption the day after popping the top on it. DUH!
>
> BULL

do you have an annoying neighbor with an intake manifold?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pico Rico wrote:

> >> That was a strange comment coming from a gourmand.

> > They were given to me against my will and I'm not one to waste food.

> give it to somebody else against their will.

Not just anybody can get past the quarantine barrier.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 17:24:20 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>>
>>> US$.80 worth of mackerel would be the least of my problems. I've got
>>> a pound of semi-fresh "fig nuggets" I need to use up. Now THAT is
>>> something worth fretting about. I HATE figs. This is going to be
>>> tough.

>> If you hate figs, why do you have some to eat up? Why do you have them in
>> the first place and why do you feel the need to eat them? Just wondering.
>> That was a strange comment coming from a gourmand.

> They were given to me against my will and I'm not one to waste food.
>
> -sw

I caught some in the ocean, new England area once. I remember, they were
strong. I only made one. I would like to try one today. Sword fish is also
somewhat strong.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 01:31:02 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
wrote:

>Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> If you hate figs, why do you have some to eat up? Why do you have them in
>>> the first place and why do you feel the need to eat them? Just wondering.
>>> That was a strange comment coming from a gourmand.

>> They were given to me against my will and I'm not one to waste food.
>>
>> -sw

>I caught some in the ocean, new England area once. I remember, they were
>strong. I only made one. I would like to try one today. Sword fish is also
>somewhat strong.

That's weird... sword fish is a very mild low fat fish, not at all
fishy... can't get a more mild fish. Mackerel is a very oily strongly
flavored fish, one of the best fish for smoking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 01:31:02 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
> wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> They were given to me against my will and I'm not one to waste food.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> I caught some in the ocean, new England area once. I remember, they were
>> strong. I only made one. I would like to try one today. Sword fish is also
>> somewhat strong.

> That's weird... sword fish is a very mild low fat fish, not at all
> fishy... can't get a more mild fish. Mackerel is a very oily strongly
> flavored fish, one of the best fish for smoking.

I only had it once or twice, swordfish. I liked it. Nothing like cod or
walleye.
Mackerel is probably good omegas.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 17:24:20 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Sqwertz wrote:
> >>
> >> US$.80 worth of mackerel would be the least of my problems. I've got
> >> "fag nuggets" I need to use up. Now THAT is something worth fretting
> >> about. I HATE fags.

> >If you hate figs, why do you have some to eat up? Why do you have them in
> >the first place and why do you feel the need to eat them? Just wondering.
> >That was a strange comment coming from a gourmand.
> >
> >Gary

> Try reading that again.

Good word-change!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

> On Apr 18, 12:21 am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> > On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 07:43:31 +0100, john east wrote:
> > > When we buy mackerel in tins we normally now pay about 89p for one of those
> > > small rectangular 120gm tins. But we noticed in our big Tesco store some
> > > good tasting big tins of mackerel (about 400gm or so,) for about £1.30 which
> > > is much better value for money.

> > > The problem is it's too much for us to eat all at one go. Would it possible
> > > to freeze say half the tin, or is it out of the question to freeze tinned
> > > foods like this? Thanks

> > Just make some tuna-like salad and eat it in the next 3 days.
> >
> > Why are so many people afraid to eat something within a few days? Why
> > bother fretting about it? I go through my fridge every day and see
> > what's "mustgovian", and if so, I make something of it. (And eat it,
> > duh).
> >
> > US$.80 worth of mackerel would be the least of my problems. I've got
> > a pound of semi-fresh "fig nuggets" I need to use up. Now THAT is
> > something worth fretting about. I HATE figs. This is going to be
> > tough. Trade ya?
> >
> > -sw

> make some fig jam.....it's good

Hey Steve...since they were an unwanted gift. why not make the fig jam and
give that back to whoever gave the figs to you? It would be a nice
offering. Just let them think you kept some for yourself too.

gary

mackerel Danny Sushi 42 06-02-2006 04:04 PM
Whole mackerel MEow General Cooking 24 14-02-2004 08:34 PM