Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default Cantaloupe uses ??

I recently purchased a nice cantaloupe, which I cut into pieces and put
into the fridge to eat at leisure for the next few days.

The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
(TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
figured I'd ask here instead

Sky, who's curious

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28/02/2012 5:00 PM, Sky wrote:
> I recently purchased a nice cantaloupe, which I cut into pieces and put
> into the fridge to eat at leisure for the next few days.
>
> The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
> (TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
> or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
> figured I'd ask here instead
>
> Sky, who's curious

Does proscutto and melon count as raw? It is a great flavour and texture
combination.

I always thought of cantaloupe as one of those things that is darned
near perfect as is and there is not much you can do with it that would
be an improvement. That being said..... I bet it would make a good
sherbet. Watermelon certainly does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

>The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
>(TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw?

What's TINC?

Other than just cutting up and forking it in, I like to make fruit
salad with other fresh fruits. Mango and pineapple go well, or
strawberries, stone fruits, grapes, etc. Even blueberries if you like
them. Not so much bananas or oranges though. I toss the diced fruit
with pom or cherry juice and maybe some liqueur.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 16:00:42 -0600, Sky >
wrote:

>I recently purchased a nice cantaloupe, which I cut into pieces and put
>into the fridge to eat at leisure for the next few days.
>
>The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
>(TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
>or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
>figured I'd ask here instead
>
>Sky, who's curious

Make a fruit kabob with other fruits and grill it. Stone fruits are
especially good grilled.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 17:17:12 -0500, George M. Middius
> wrote:

>Sky wrote:
>
>>The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
>>(TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw?

>What's TINC?

There Is No Cabal (YTI)

>Other than just cutting up and forking it in, I like to make fruit
>salad with other fresh fruits. Mango and pineapple go well, or
>strawberries, stone fruits, grapes, etc. Even blueberries if you like
>them. Not so much bananas or oranges though. I toss the diced fruit
>with pom or cherry juice and maybe some liqueur.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky > wrote in news:9r514pF23dU1
@mid.individual.net:

> I recently purchased a nice cantaloupe, which I cut into pieces and put
> into the fridge to eat at leisure for the next few days.
>
> The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
> (TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
> or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
> figured I'd ask here instead
>
> Sky, who's curious

Over this way we call them 'Rock Melons' and I've only ever had them 'raw',
cold straight out of the fridge is great. Mixed in with fruit salad....
rockmelon smoothie?? Hmmmmmmm, maybe if it was 'smoothied' with ice cream?

They also go great on a cheese platter.

--
Peter
Tasmania
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

>I recently purchased a nice cantaloupe, which I cut into pieces and put
>into the fridge to eat at leisure for the next few days.
>
>The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
>(TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
>or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
>figured I'd ask here instead
>
>Sky, who's curious

If they're ripe I like halves filled with cottage cheese, otherwise
cubed maserated in the fridge with sugar for a day or two, add other
fruit too; berries, citrus, apples, other melons... naturally
cantaloupe makes great smoothies, think vanilla ice cream and rum.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
>Sky wrote:
>
>> The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
>> (TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
>> or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
>> figured I'd ask here instead

>I don't prepare it, but I like to get cantaloupe juice at the taqueria
>or fruteria when in season. I love melon juices.

Whadaya know, a protégé!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

> I recently purchased a nice cantaloupe, which I cut into pieces and put
> into the fridge to eat at leisure for the next few days.
>
> The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
> (TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
> or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
> figured I'd ask here instead

Salsa, cold soup, and ice cream/gelato are some of my favorite ways to
use cantaloupe. It's also good as a kind of relish/salad with cucumbers,
lime juice, salt, and powdered chile de árbol .

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote:

>Does proscutto and melon count as raw?

If it's prosciutto crudo, sure.

Actually, raw food types are not in total agreement on the
definition of "raw".

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I recently purchased a nice cantaloupe, which I cut into pieces and put
>into the fridge to eat at leisure for the next few days.
>
>The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
>(TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
>or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
>figured I'd ask here instead
>
>Sky, who's curious

I just searched Epicurious for cantalope soup, there's 5-6 listed.
Mostly cold.

-Zz
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...3386/lightbox/
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...3464/lightbox/
>
> Pineapple:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...7039/lightbox/
>
> Dinner Plate:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...3820/lightbox/
>
> -sw

OMG! Your meals are so drool-provoking. I should be ashamed of
myself. I didn't cook all those Asian mushrooms because my
daughter had other plans. I need to cook for my own pleasure
more, like I used to all the time--and like you obviously do.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> I recently purchased a nice cantaloupe, which I cut into pieces and put
> into the fridge to eat at leisure for the next few days.
>
> The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
> (TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
> or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
> figured I'd ask here instead
>
> Sky, who's curious

I've made a conserve (Peach-Cantaloupe) with it, though not in about the
last 30 years.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 17:12:00 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 28/02/2012 5:00 PM, Sky wrote:
>> I recently purchased a nice cantaloupe, which I cut into pieces and put
>> into the fridge to eat at leisure for the next few days.
>>
>> The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
>> (TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
>> or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
>> figured I'd ask here instead
>>
>> Sky, who's curious
>>

>Does proscutto and melon count as raw? It is a great flavour and texture
>combination.
>
>I always thought of cantaloupe as one of those things that is darned
>near perfect as is and there is not much you can do with it that would
>be an improvement.

I agree with this. We went to a seminar last Saturday morning that
had a fruit tray that included cantaloupe. I hardly ever eat in the
morning but I left stuffed.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Sky
> wrote:

> I recently purchased a nice cantaloupe, which I cut into pieces and put
> into the fridge to eat at leisure for the next few days.
>
> The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
> (TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
> or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
> figured I'd ask here instead
>
> Sky, who's curious

Texas Melon Soup:

http://busycooks.about.com/od/coldso...smelonsoup.htm