FoodBanter.com

-   -   Samosa (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/415442-samosa.html)

abdul 09-02-2012 10:51 AM

Samosa

Ingredients
1. 2 boiled potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
2. 4 soft taco (tortilla)
3. 1 tsp chopped cilantro
4. 1 tsp garam masala
5. 1 tbsp oil, plus oil for frying (Deep Fry)
6. Water to make a paste
7. 1 tsp cumin seeds
8. 1 tsp red chili powder
9. 1 tablepoon vegetable oil
10. 1 tbsp all purpose flour
11. 1/4 up peas

Method of preparation:-

1 Heat oil in a pan and put in cumin seeds. When they crackle, add red chili powder, potatoes, peas and salt.
2 Mix well and then add garam masala and cilantro. Keep aside.
3 In a small bowl mix all purpose-flour, water and make a paste. Cut tortilla in half.
4 Fold it into triangle shape, place the potato filling in and stick the edges tightly with paste.
5 Heat oil in a frying pan. Carefully slip it into the hot oil. Fry until it becomes crispy and golden. Serve hot.

Thanks
123foodcourt.com

spamtrap1888 09-02-2012 04:37 PM

Samosa

I was pleased to find a genuinely useful food banter post, but I had a
question:

On Feb 9, 2:51*am, abdul > wrote:
> Ingredients
> 1. 2 boiled potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
> 2. 4 soft taco (tortilla)
> 3. 1 tsp chopped cilantro
> 4. 1 tsp garam masala
> 5. 1 tbsp oil, plus oil for frying (Deep Fry)
> 6. Water to make a paste
> 7. 1 tsp cumin seeds
> 8. 1 tsp red chili powder
> 9. 1 tablepoon vegetable oil
> 10. 1 tbsp all purpose flour
> 11. 1/4 up peas

Green peas or dried peas?

news 09-02-2012 06:13 PM

Samosa

On Feb 9, 2:51 am, abdul > wrote:
> Ingredients
> 1. 2 boiled potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
> 2. 4 soft taco (tortilla)
> 3. 1 tsp chopped cilantro
> 4. 1 tsp garam masala
> 5. 1 tbsp oil, plus oil for frying (Deep Fry)
> 6. Water to make a paste
> 7. 1 tsp cumin seeds
> 8. 1 tsp red chili powder
> 9. 1 tablepoon vegetable oil
> 10. 1 tbsp all purpose flour
> 11. 1/4 up peas

Green peas or dried peas?

I would guess green peas. Also, why use a tortilla when samosa dough is so
easy to make? Don't forget to serve with chutney!

sf[_9_] 09-02-2012 07:33 PM

Samosa

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 13:13:37 -0500, "news" > wrote:

> I would guess green peas. Also, why use a tortilla when samosa dough is so
> easy to make? Don't forget to serve with chutney!

Ditto on the fresh/frozen peas. What is the green sauce they serve
with samosas called? The green part is some leaf that's been
blenderized and mixed into something white. That's all I can tell.
It doesn't taste like cilantro or mint, so I'm clueless.

James Silverton[_3_] 09-02-2012 07:37 PM

Samosa

On 2/9/2012 2:33 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 13:13:37 -0500, > wrote:
>
>> I would guess green peas. Also, why use a tortilla when samosa dough is so
>> easy to make? Don't forget to serve with chutney!

> Ditto on the fresh/frozen peas. What is the green sauce they serve
> with samosas called? The green part is some leaf that's been
> blenderized and mixed into something white. That's all I can tell.
> It doesn't taste like cilantro or mint, so I'm clueless.

The two green Indian sauces that I remember are Mint Chutney and Green
Chili Chutney.

--
Jim Silverton

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

sf[_9_] 09-02-2012 09:31 PM

Samosa

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 14:37:58 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

> On 2/9/2012 2:33 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 13:13:37 -0500, > wrote:
> >
> >> I would guess green peas. Also, why use a tortilla when samosa dough is so
> >> easy to make? Don't forget to serve with chutney!

> > Ditto on the fresh/frozen peas. What is the green sauce they serve
> > with samosas called? The green part is some leaf that's been
> > blenderized and mixed into something white. That's all I can tell.
> > It doesn't taste like cilantro or mint, so I'm clueless.
> >

> The two green Indian sauces that I remember are Mint Chutney and Green
> Chili Chutney.

Thanks, Jim. I swear it doesn't taste like mint or cilantro, but
googling samosas and green sauce - it's probably all three: mint,
cilantro and chili - in one sauce. I love the flavor!

[email protected] 09-02-2012 10:04 PM

Samosa

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 13:31:21 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 14:37:58 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

>> > Ditto on the fresh/frozen peas. What is the green sauce they serve
>> > with samosas called? The green part is some leaf that's been
>> > blenderized and mixed into something white. That's all I can tell.
>> > It doesn't taste like cilantro or mint, so I'm clueless.
>> >

>> The two green Indian sauces that I remember are Mint Chutney and Green
>> Chili Chutney.

>Thanks, Jim. I swear it doesn't taste like mint or cilantro, but
>googling samosas and green sauce - it's probably all three: mint,
>cilantro and chili - in one sauce. I love the flavor!

Raita. Can involve grated cucumber with the excess moisture wrung
out, mint and cilantro. I've also had a Pommegranate version which
was quite different but nice.

Regards
JonH

ImStillMags 09-02-2012 11:01 PM

Samosa

On Feb 9, 10:13*am, "news" > wrote:

> I would guess green peas. Also, why use a tortilla when samosa dough is so
> easy to make? Don't forget to serve with chutney!

from reading the recipe and the instructions it sounds like he used
the word "tortilla" to represent the samosa dough.

sf[_9_] 09-02-2012 11:14 PM

Samosa

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 22:04:05 +0000, wrote:

> Raita. Can involve grated cucumber with the excess moisture wrung
> out, mint and cilantro.

Thanks, I'll look that one up.

foodrecipes24 09-04-2012 05:24 AM

http://www.foodrecipes24.com/samosa-recipe "samosa recipe video tutorial"

samosa , is some time tough to give a proper shape .So while making samosa a video can be helpful .you can get get perfect video from youtube or the link I have given to this page .