FoodBanter.com

-   -   Req: cooking rutabaga in micro (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/415107-req-cooking-rutabaga-micro.html)

cshenk 30-01-2012 02:11 AM

Post courtesies was Req: cooking rutabaga in micro

Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 11:18:03 -0600, cshenk wrote:
>

> > Welcome! Some of the other stuff suggested to me was like hitting a
> > knat with a nuke from high orbit. I just wanted a simple and easy
> > to use program that was free. My impression is several have at
> > least looked at the other suggested programs and given up in
> > disgust over them being a total PITA to figure out and setup.

> 40tude Dialog is by far the best and most configurable free newsreader
> out there, IMO. It is not hard to set up and have a very good GUI
> interface much like Agent (at least the older versions). It is highly
> customizable making it good for beginners and experts alike.
>
> If I had to recommend a good, easy to use/setup no frills newsreader
> for Sharon I would suggest Thunderbird. But I highly doubt she will
> switch to anything that posts acceptably.
>
> -sw

Thunderbird would be last on my list. It's one of those 'OMG why does
it have to be this hard' softwares. I like many do not care about
'best' or 'most configurable'. I want 'it works in 5 minutes from
download to implementation' with very little learning curve.

You are utterly wasting bandwidth and time if you suggest the more
difficult ones here to folks who want a simple solution. That is why
such suggestions are *ignored*.

cshenk 30-01-2012 02:16 AM

Dan Abel wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >,
> "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > biig wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> [snip]
>
> > Hi Sharon,
> >
> > If you want something that works well and feels like OE mostly but
> > has some frills, take a look at XanaNews. It's freeware (legal to
> > download and run in all countries). I added it here as I upgraded
> > computers and the newer OS had Livemail (WIN7) which doesn't add
> > the '>' markers and was driving me batty.

> Thanks, Carol. I like seeing people being helpful on this group. It
> isn't the end of the world if posts are missing quote markers, but it
> does make it confusing.
>
> I'm happy with my news client, and don't have any problems, but that
> isn't useful for most on this group, because it only runs on a Mac!

Works for me Dave! Yeah, I'd rather give help. I *prefer* people use
a proper quoter but it's not going to destroy the world if they don't
even if it does lead to mis-attibution at times.

sf[_9_] 30-01-2012 04:21 AM

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 20:11:18 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

> Thunderbird would be last on my list. It's one of those 'OMG why does
> it have to be this hard' softwares. I like many do not care about
> 'best' or 'most configurable'. I want 'it works in 5 minutes from
> download to implementation' with very little learning curve.
>
> You are utterly wasting bandwidth and time if you suggest the more
> difficult ones here to folks who want a simple solution. That is why
> such suggestions are *ignored*.

+1

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

sf[_9_] 30-01-2012 04:23 AM

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 20:16:41 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

> Works for me Dave! Yeah, I'd rather give help. I *prefer* people use
> a proper quoter but it's not going to destroy the world if they don't
> even if it does lead to mis-attibution at times.

The problem arises when someone gets mad and says "I didn't say that".

biig 30-01-2012 12:58 PM

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> biig wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> > And you haven't seen nothing yet if you think I'm nit-picking. This
>> > is NOT nit-picking. It is a major breach of etiquette tghat is
>> > certainly not limited to my personal expectations. Ask Paul M.
>> > Cook for some defensive tips - you'll need... something. He's not
>> > very good at it, but maybe you can come up with better, lame
>> > excuses other than being ignorant.
>> >
>> > -sw

>> Whatever....Do your worst....Sharon

> Hi Sharon,
>
> If you want something that works well and feels like OE mostly but has
> some frills, take a look at XanaNews. It's freeware (legal to download
> and run in all countries). I added it here as I upgraded computers and
> the newer OS had Livemail (WIN7) which doesn't add the '>' markers and
> was driving me batty.
>
> I kept my newsgroup feed in 'Livemail' and put in a dual feed to
> XanaNews as I tested it all out. I even posted here for some to check
> and everyone was happy though it tends to add a space between '> >'
> markers as you will see above. Once i was happy, I removed the
> newsgroup feed from 'LiveMail' (which I still use for regular email)
> and use this for my newsgroup setups.
>
> XanaNews has lots of frills I haven't setup but it worked right away in
> default mode for everything I really needed. It didn't have a
> 'learning curve' like so many of the other programs that have probably
> been suggested to you (some of which I never could get setup right and
> I'm a fairly geeky sort).
>
> If you would like to try something to shut these guys up, my suggestion
> would be to google for XanaNews, install it, and leave your normal
> feeds exactly where they are as you play with adding a group to the new
> software and see if you like it. You just enter your existing feed site
> to XanaNews and add 1 or 2 groups. If you are geeky, you can download
> just the most recent 500 or so messages but by default it will grab all
> at your access site's archives which can take a little time. When that
> is done, go to tools and message base management and the default will
> allow you to wipe anything over 7 days old.
>
> The one thing XanaNews doesn't have is the ability to just tap the
> 'delete' key when viewing a message. It has a different system there
> that can do it but its not as easy. It does have a better system for
> removing posts from folks you do not want to see again (I love the
> name, 'Bozo Bin').
>

> --

----------------------------
Thanks C. I'll try to download this. I'm on dial-up so it may take some
time. In the meantime, I'm adding lines :) ...Sharon

Goomba[_2_] 30-01-2012 02:48 PM

On 1/29/12 9:11 PM, cshenk wrote:

> Thunderbird would be last on my list. It's one of those 'OMG why does
> it have to be this hard' softwares. I like many do not care about
> 'best' or 'most configurable'. I want 'it works in 5 minutes from
> download to implementation' with very little learning curve.

Huh? I found Thunderbird to be infinitely easy to use and it does
everything I need or want of it. Are we somehow using different
versions.....?

Goomba[_2_] 30-01-2012 02:55 PM

On 1/29/12 11:54 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 20:03:03 -0600, cshenk wrote:
>
>> sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Aha, so it's not just me. I've looked at other news readers that have
>>> been suggested and decided I wasn't techie enough to run them... but
>>> if your impression is the same, it probably wasn't me after all - it
>>> was the program. Can you choose how many panes you want (I use the
>>> single pane view)?

>> Yes, and size them. I like a preview pane of the titles and a wider
>> one with the message i am viewing. Drag and shift sizes as you like.

> She said she only uses ONE pane (which doesn't surprise me at all for
> some reason).
>
> -sw

She's also often complained of the mail window on AOL! LOL. Never
realizing how easy it was/is to change yet she couldn't figure it out.

She's one of the few who will give Andy and John Kuthe attention so they
all get to stroke each others dysfunction. I think she's a few fries
short of a Happy Meal (obfood) more often than not anymore, and it only
seems to be getting worse.

Brooklyn1 30-01-2012 08:00 PM

cshenk wrote:

> Thunderbird would be last on my list. It's one of those 'OMG why does
> it have to be this hard' softwares. I like many do not care about
> 'best' or 'most configurable'. I want 'it works in 5 minutes from
> download to implementation' with very little learning curve.

There ya go... that's why you don't know anything... anything worth
knowing takes more than five minutes to learn. Many women need a
whole lifetime to learn how to masturbate and they never do get the
hang of it... you gotta have patience to work at for at least an hour!
LOL-LOL

Lou decruss 30-01-2012 08:09 PM

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 11:49:39 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 14:26:36 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>> >I took the time to try and explain it nicely and thoroughly to you so
>> >you would understand the problem.

>> I've very recently decided it's not worth the time on people who can't
>> make a post readable. Many people here and in other groups post from
>> google or use outhouse express and they do just fine. Sometime back a
>> few regulars from google were having a wrap problem and all three of
>> them fixed it. Spamtrap1888 uses google and Bob T uses outhouse and
>> both post perfectly.

>I'm willing to spend a little time. Let me try to summarize the
>problems:

<snip>

It was very nice of you to post this but it will little or no effect.

Lou

sf[_9_] 30-01-2012 08:54 PM

Post courtesies was Req: cooking rutabaga in micro

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 09:55:09 -0500, Goomba >
wrote:

> On 1/29/12 11:54 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> >> Yes, and size them. I like a preview pane of the titles and a wider
> >> one with the message i am viewing. Drag and shift sizes as you like.

> > She said she only uses ONE pane (which doesn't surprise me at all for
> > some reason).

I also don't look at headers or addresses with author name. Why is
this a PROBMEM for you? That was a rhetorical question. I don't care
what you think. You're a control freak with an enormous ego and
you're ****ed off that you've been in my kill file for years. You're
very predictable. You won't be able to restrain yourself from
morphing to reply to me directly because you're so desperate for
attention.

> She's also often complained of the mail window on AOL! LOL. Never
> realizing how easy it was/is to change yet she couldn't figure it out.

Oh, you can get rid of all the advertising or whatever that was that
clogs the window? Guess what? I don't give a damn because I don't
use it, never have, never will.

> She's one of the few who will give Andy and John Kuthe attention so they
> all get to stroke each others dysfunction.

Poor little immature stevie baby is jealous.

> I think she's a few fries
> short of a Happy Meal (obfood) more often than not anymore, and it only
> seems to be getting worse.

If you think you're talking about me, you're very much mistaken. I've
never used AOHell for myself although I did try to help a neighbor
once who did use it and was appalled by the interface. If you
remember that one post, however vaguely, both of you have far more
problems that I will ever have. Get mental help, you need it
desperately.

Dan Abel 30-01-2012 10:04 PM

Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 11:49:39 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Lou Decruss > wrote:

> >> I've very recently decided it's not worth the time on people who can't
> >> make a post readable. Many people here and in other groups post from
> >> google or use outhouse express and they do just fine. Sometime back a
> >> few regulars from google were having a wrap problem and all three of
> >> them fixed it. Spamtrap1888 uses google and Bob T uses outhouse and
> >> both post perfectly.

> >I'm willing to spend a little time. Let me try to summarize the
> >problems:

> <snip>
>
> It was very nice of you to post this but it will little or no effect.

Just my Pollyanna personality!

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

cshenk 31-01-2012 01:39 AM

Post courtesies was Req: cooking rutabaga in micro

Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 20:11:18 -0600, cshenk wrote:
>
> > Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> hitting a >>> knat with a nuke from high orbit. I just wanted a
> simple and easy >>> to use program that was free. My impression is
> several have at >>> least looked at the other suggested programs and
> given up in >>> disgust over them being a total PITA to figure out
> and setup. >>
> >> 40tude Dialog is by far the best and most configurable free

> newsreader >> out there, IMO. It is not hard to set up and have a
> very good GUI >> interface much like Agent (at least the older
> versions). It is highly >> customizable making it good for beginners
> and experts alike. >>
> >> If I had to recommend a good, easy to use/setup no frills

> newsreader >> for Sharon I would suggest Thunderbird. But I highly
> doubt she will >> switch to anything that posts acceptably.
> >>
> >> -sw

> > Thunderbird would be last on my list. It's one of those 'OMG why
> > does it have to be this hard' softwares.

> Thunderbird is hard to figure out? <boggle> It's easier than OE,
> that's for sure. Or maybe I'm used to Oulook as opposed to Express.
>
> > You are utterly wasting bandwidth and time if you suggest the more
> > difficult ones here to folks who want a simple solution. That is
> > why such suggestions are ignored.

> Well, EXCUUUUUSE ME!, Mrs. High and Mighty. Damn, that was psychotic
> rant! Bad day, or what?
>
> Lets get gets back to logic and reality Here and take a look at the
> most commonly used newsreaders in 2011, as extracted from User-Agent
> headers of postings:
>
> Newsreader Total Percent
> Google Groups 189536 43.94%
> Thunderbird 52258 12.11%
> Forte Agent 47100 10.92%
> Microsoft Outlook Express 41042 9.51%
> Microsoft Windows Live Mail 11196 2.60%
> MT-NewsWatcher 10872 2.52%
> Other (less than 2.5% each) 79359 18.40%
>
> Which would tend suggest that Thunderbird is one damn fine newsreader
> and a very good suggestion. And that the masses seem to find it easy
> to use, coming in second only to google's "simple as smearing dirt on
> your face" interface.
>
> Where do you see YOUR obscure suggestion of Xananews on that list, eh?
> If it was it was the best easiest thing since sliced bread, why isn't
> it on the list?
>
> Sheesh.
>
> -sw

Because you are not smart enough to catch why your thunderDeadiord that
folks struggled and finally set up 10 years ago doesnt work for new
folks who have to swap?

Cheryl[_3_] 31-01-2012 02:03 AM

On 1/29/2012 11:52 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Lets get gets back to logic and reality Here and take a look at the
> most commonly used newsreaders in 2011, as extracted from User-Agent
> headers of postings:
>
> Newsreader Total Percent
> Google Groups 189536 43.94%
> Thunderbird 52258 12.11%
> Forte Agent 47100 10.92%
> Microsoft Outlook Express 41042 9.51%
> Microsoft Windows Live Mail 11196 2.60%
> MT-NewsWatcher 10872 2.52%
> Other (less than 2.5% each) 79359 18.40%
>
> Which would tend suggest that Thunderbird is one damn fine newsreader
> and a very good suggestion. And that the masses seem to find it easy
> to use, coming in second only to google's "simple as smearing dirt on
> your face" interface.

I have been using TB since getting a laptop with Windows 7 and haven't
had a problem with any of the features. Then something recently
happened that I can't figure out. It's annoying. First it was whole
threads that kept coming back as unread whenever I refreshed and now it
seems like just the first post on every thread comes back as unread.
Really strange. I've reset the group, even uninstalled and deleted all
TB directories and settings I could find, but still no luck. On one of
my servers it removed everything and I wasn't able to reset to download
everything again to start over, so I've just switched news servers so
hopefully it's a different profile or identity or whatever it calls it.
Wastes so much time sifting through what I've already marked read or
actually did read.

sf[_9_] 31-01-2012 02:37 AM

Post courtesies was Req: cooking rutabaga in micro

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 21:03:28 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

> I have been using TB since getting a laptop with Windows 7 and haven't
> had a problem with any of the features. Then something recently
> happened that I can't figure out. It's annoying. First it was whole
> threads that kept coming back as unread whenever I refreshed and now it
> seems like just the first post on every thread comes back as unread.
> Really strange. I've reset the group, even uninstalled and deleted all
> TB directories and settings I could find, but still no luck. On one of
> my servers it removed everything and I wasn't able to reset to download
> everything again to start over, so I've just switched news servers so
> hopefully it's a different profile or identity or whatever it calls it.
> Wastes so much time sifting through what I've already marked read or
> actually did read.

I sent you a private email. Hopefully you check your hot mail account
or have the contents forwarded to your in box. :)

Cheryl[_3_] 31-01-2012 03:12 AM

On 1/30/2012 9:37 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 21:03:28 -0500, >
> wrote:
>
>> I have been using TB since getting a laptop with Windows 7 and haven't
>> had a problem with any of the features. Then something recently
>> happened that I can't figure out. It's annoying. First it was whole
>> threads that kept coming back as unread whenever I refreshed and now it
>> seems like just the first post on every thread comes back as unread.
>> Really strange. I've reset the group, even uninstalled and deleted all
>> TB directories and settings I could find, but still no luck. On one of
>> my servers it removed everything and I wasn't able to reset to download
>> everything again to start over, so I've just switched news servers so
>> hopefully it's a different profile or identity or whatever it calls it.
>> Wastes so much time sifting through what I've already marked read or
>> actually did read.

> I sent you a private email. Hopefully you check your hot mail account
> or have the contents forwarded to your in box. :)

That hotmail account has been dead for years but I keep it so that
anyone who filters me won't complain. You have my verizon email, right?

sf[_9_] 31-01-2012 04:55 AM

Post courtesies was Req: cooking rutabaga in micro

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 22:12:22 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

> On 1/30/2012 9:37 PM, sf wrote:
> >
> > I sent you a private email. Hopefully you check your hot mail account
> > or have the contents forwarded to your in box. :)
> >

> That hotmail account has been dead for years but I keep it so that
> anyone who filters me won't complain. You have my verizon email, right?

Hmmmm. Checking.... only one verizon and it's not you.
Please email sf.usenet at gmail.com