Old 14-01-2012, 03:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stevia based sweeteners (Truvia, etc.)

On 13/01/2012 8:50 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

I never use fake/counterfit sugar, I mostly sweeten with raw brown
sugar and honey, I also use molasses, sorghum, and sometimes ordinary
white sugar. I occasionally drink diet soda but not very often,
mostly I drink seltza, or vodka and OJ. But I never use those little
packets like yoose druggies.

As much as I like eating sweet things, I have never really liked
drinking sweet things. I was puzzled when my started buying diet soft
drinks for me after my heart surgery because I rarely drank regular soft
drinks. I never used to have much sugar in tea and started drinking it
black with no sugar when I was about 20. Shortly after that I stopped
sugaring coffee to.

No soft drink mixers for booze. I drink that straight, or a bit of sweet
vermouth with rye.

I do not use sugar substitutes for cooking. I prefer to have less sugar.
On hot and cold cereals I use the darkest brown sugar I can find and it
has enough flavour that I only need a little.

Old 16-01-2012, 06:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

As much as I like eating sweet things, I
have never really liked drinking sweet
things. I was puzzled when my started
buying diet soft drinks for me after my
heart surgery because I rarely drank
regular soft drinks. I never used to have
much sugar in tea and started drinking it
black with no sugar when I was about
20. Shortly after that I stopped sugaring
coffee to.

No soft drink mixers for booze. I drink
that straight, or a bit of sweet vermouth
with rye.

I do not use sugar substitutes for
cooking. I prefer to have less sugar. On
hot and cold cereals I use the darkest
brown sugar I can find and it has
enough flavour that I only need a little.

Same here, I like to EAT sweet things, but do NOT want them in liquid
form. I was never a big pop/soda drinker, even as a kid, and when I did
occasionally have it, such as in a root beer float maybe, I never used
the diet soda.

I won't use any sugar substitutes period, as haven't liked the ones I
ever tried, and just feel in the long run, those things do more harm to
one's body, so I would rather go without sugar, than to have the
alternative. Like you, I cut back sugar in all my baking, same as I do
salt, and I don't find any difference in the quality of the finished
product. I will continue to eat sugar, or nothing, other than maybe a
little honey, such as in my oatmeal. I never put sugar on my dry cereal,
such as cornflakes, but put a sliced banana in with it.

I do keep a box of Splenda packets in the pantry, for our daughter to
use when she is here. I have my tea and coffee with no sugar, but I do
like a small bit of 1/2 & 1/2 in my coffee now.

Judy