Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Buttermilk Pancakes

This recipe was posted by Mrs. Wheeler on rfc usenet a long time ago.
I made these for brunch today, OHGosh so wonderful. I almost didn't
diary it because I thought just another pancake.

As usual, photos and step by step on my blog if you are interested.
http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...-pancakes.html

or
http://tinyurl.com/6uc6r6y

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

American Pancakes: Bette's Buttermilk Pancakes

cheese/eggs

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
oil for griddle

Choice of berries, sliced bananas, raisins or chopped toasted nuts
(optional)

-- The ingredients. The baking powder, baking soda and buttermilk work
together to make these the lightest pancakes possible. -- Stirring the
batter. The batter begins to react the minute the wet ingredients are
added. Stir quickly and don't over stir; there should still be lumps
in the batter.

Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a
large bowl. Lightly beat the eggs with the buttermilk, milk and melted
butter.

Just before you are ready to make the pancakes, add the liquid
ingredients to the dry ingredients all at once, stirring just long
enough to blend. The batter should be slightly lumpy. If you want to
add fruit or nuts, stir them in now, or
you may sprinkle them on the pancakes while they are on the griddle.
Heat a lightly oiled griddle or heavy skillet over medium-high heat
(375 degrees on an electric griddle).

Pour 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto the griddle or skillet, spacing
the pancakes apart so they do not run together. When bubbles appear on
the surface of the pancakes and the undersides are lightly browned,
turn and cook for about 2 minutes longer, until lightly browned on the
bottom.

Serve immediately on warmed plates with the topping of your choice.
Serves 4

Notes: Mrs. Wheeler on rfc

Yield: yield 24

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 14:48:43 -0800, arranged random
neurons and said:

>This recipe was posted by Mrs. Wheeler on rfc usenet a long time ago.
>I made these for brunch today, OHGosh so wonderful. I almost didn't
>diary it because I thought just another pancake.
>
>As usual, photos and step by step on my blog if you are interested.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...-pancakes.html

>or
>http://tinyurl.com/6uc6r6y
>
>@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
>American Pancakes: Bette's Buttermilk Pancakes

<snip>

Snipped and saved. Thanks, Koko!

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 15:30:22 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 14:48:43 -0800, arranged random
>neurons and said:
>

>>This recipe was posted by Mrs. Wheeler on rfc usenet a long time ago.
>>I made these for brunch today, OHGosh so wonderful. I almost didn't
>>diary it because I thought just another pancake.
>>
>>As usual, photos and step by step on my blog if you are interested.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...-pancakes.html

>>or
>>http://tinyurl.com/6uc6r6y
>>
>>@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>>
>>American Pancakes: Bette's Buttermilk Pancakes

><snip>
>
>Snipped and saved. Thanks, Koko!
>
>Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

My pleasure

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 31/12/2011 7:16 PM, notbob wrote:

> Way back in 1970, used to go down to a lil' coffee shop in downtown
> Sacramento and order a short stack fer $.78. Two of the most awesome
> gossamer light pancakes I ever tasted. Not those cake-like lead slabs
> that will soak up syrup by the gallon. These were light and airy and
> almost floated off the plate. Whith a pat of real butter, they were
> to die for. I used to go there all times of the day, till the place
> suddenly suffered a fire and burned to the ground (sniff).
>
> It was years before I realized the secret was buttermilk. Even fake
> buttermilk --reg milk and some lemon juice or vinegar-- will do the
> trick. I wanna try some soft Winter wheat flour versions (White Lilly)
> and see how that works out.

I learned from posters here that powdered buttermilk is perfectly
acceptable for making pancakes. That allows me to have buttermilk on
hand at all times without it going bad before it is used up. I learned
long ago that buttermilk pancakes are far superior to the regular variety.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote:

>Way back in 1970, used to go down to a lil' coffee shop in downtown
>Sacramento and order a short stack fer $.78. Two of the most awesome
>gossamer light pancakes I ever tasted. Not those cake-like lead slabs
>that will soak up syrup by the gallon. These were light and airy and
>almost floated off the plate. Whith a pat of real butter, they were
>to die for. I used to go there all times of the day, till the place
>suddenly suffered a fire and burned to the ground (sniff).

>It was years before I realized the secret was buttermilk. Even fake
>buttermilk --reg milk and some lemon juice or vinegar-- will do the
>trick. I wanna try some soft Winter wheat flour versions (White Lilly)
>and see how that works out.

That's part of it, the acid/baking powder combination. But
another part of it is to not flip them too soon... they grow taller
and more airy the longer they are on the griddle before flipping.
Almost like a beignet, a pancake can puff up due to its internal
moisture.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>
> This recipe was posted by Mrs. Wheeler on rfc usenet a long time ago.
> I made these for brunch today, OHGosh so wonderful. I almost didn't
> diary it because I thought just another pancake.
>
> As usual, photos and step by step on my blog if you are interested.
> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...-pancakes.html
>
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/6uc6r6y
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> American Pancakes: Bette's Buttermilk Pancakes
>
> cheese/eggs
>
> 2 cups all-purpose flour
> 2 tablespoons sugar
> 2 teaspoons baking powder
> 1 teaspoon baking soda
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 2 eggs
> 2 cups buttermilk
> 1/2 cup milk
> 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
> oil for griddle
>
> Choice of berries, sliced bananas, raisins or chopped toasted nuts
> (optional)
>
> -- The ingredients. The baking powder, baking soda and buttermilk work
> together to make these the lightest pancakes possible. -- Stirring the
> batter. The batter begins to react the minute the wet ingredients are
> added. Stir quickly and don't over stir; there should still be lumps
> in the batter.
>
> Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a
> large bowl. Lightly beat the eggs with the buttermilk, milk and melted
> butter.
>
> Just before you are ready to make the pancakes, add the liquid
> ingredients to the dry ingredients all at once, stirring just long
> enough to blend. The batter should be slightly lumpy. If you want to
> add fruit or nuts, stir them in now, or
> you may sprinkle them on the pancakes while they are on the griddle.
> Heat a lightly oiled griddle or heavy skillet over medium-high heat
> (375 degrees on an electric griddle).
>
> Pour 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto the griddle or skillet, spacing
> the pancakes apart so they do not run together. When bubbles appear on
> the surface of the pancakes and the undersides are lightly browned,
> turn and cook for about 2 minutes longer, until lightly browned on the
> bottom.
>
> Serve immediately on warmed plates with the topping of your choice.
> Serves 4
>
> Notes: Mrs. Wheeler on rfc

Add two tablespoons of corn meal to the dry mix. You won't believe how good
it is.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 31/12/2011 7:45 PM, Steve Pope wrote:

> That's part of it, the acid/baking powder combination. But
> another part of it is to not flip them too soon... they grow taller
> and more airy the longer they are on the griddle before flipping.
> Almost like a beignet, a pancake can puff up due to its internal
> moisture.

Pancakes have to be cooked in the right temperature range and flipped at
the right time. The pan has to be just hot enough that a flick of water
will dance across the pan. The pancakes should be flipped when the
bubbles come to the surface and break. I am not a perfectionist, but at
least one side of a pancake has to be cooked properly. If one if done
perfectly the other can ride in its shadow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 31/12/2011 8:20 PM, Mike Muth wrote:

> If you halve all the ingredients, this is exactly the recipe I've been
> using for the last 30 years or so and is very similar to the recipe
> found in my first Betty Crocker cookbook (purchased in 1977). It's also
> similar to the recipe found on page 2 in _Good Eating: Recipes from
> Mike's Place, Volume 1_.
>
> After I flip the pancakes, I like to spread butter over the tops of the
> pancakes.

Sorry, but I prefer to put a dab of butter on after they are cooked. The
pancake should be warm enough to partially melt it, but I like the
texture feel of a bit of a chunk of butter once in a while.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30, 4:48*pm, wrote:

> American Pancakes: Bette's Buttermilk Pancakes
>

> 2 cups all-purpose flour
> 2 tablespoons sugar
> 2 teaspoons baking powder
> 1 teaspoon baking soda
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 2 *eggs
> 2 cups buttermilk
> 1/2 cup milk
> 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
> * oil for griddle

There's one important ingredient missing, vanilla extract.

> koko

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 16:56:13 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .

>> This recipe was posted by Mrs. Wheeler on rfc usenet a long time ago.
>> I made these for brunch today, OHGosh so wonderful. I almost didn't
>> diary it because I thought just another pancake.
>>
>> As usual, photos and step by step on my blog if you are interested.
>> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...-pancakes.html
>>
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/6uc6r6y
>>
>> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>>
>> American Pancakes: Bette's Buttermilk Pancakes

snippage

>Add two tablespoons of corn meal to the dry mix. You won't believe how good
>it is.
>
>Paul

Thanks Paul, I'll try that next time.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com

Buttermilk pancakes Christopher M.[_2_] General Cooking 24 22-03-2010 06:45 PM
Best Buttermilk Pancakes Tracy E. Carman[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 14-01-2010 10:51 PM
Buttermilk Pancakes Sandy U. Recipes (moderated) 0 25-10-2006 04:29 PM
Buttermilk Pancakes Tim Recipes 0 28-06-2005 10:28 AM
Homemade Buttermilk and Buttermilk Pancakes A1 WBarfieldsr Recipes (moderated) 0 20-10-2003 12:48 PM