Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe with Hillshire Farm Polska Kielbasa

I already know how some people feel about this meat product but for
others, here is something I cooked up tonight to use up some sour cream
and some egg noodles.

It's cooling now but it smells wonderful. I made it exactly as written
but cut it down just a little.

http://www.hillshirefarm.com/recipes...casserole.aspx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2011 10:30 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> I already know how some people feel about this meat product but for
> others, here is something I cooked up tonight to use up some sour cream
> and some egg noodles.
>
> It's cooling now but it smells wonderful. I made it exactly as written
> but cut it down just a little.
>
> http://www.hillshirefarm.com/recipes...casserole.aspx

The only thing I'd change about the recipe is to sweat the chopped onion
before using it in the hotdish. The onion was still a little raw but
otherwise, it was very good. Plenty of leftovers for lunches or dinners.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2011 8:30 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> I already know how some people feel about this meat product but for
> others, here is something I cooked up tonight to use up some sour cream
> and some egg noodles.
>
> It's cooling now but it smells wonderful. I made it exactly as written
> but cut it down just a little.
>
> http://www.hillshirefarm.com/recipes...casserole.aspx

I like this sausage, but these days I have to choose the low-fat version
of it. It's just as good as the regular, and a lot easier to live with
later on.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 22:07:53 -0700, Pennyaline
> wrote:

>On 12/16/2011 8:30 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> I already know how some people feel about this meat product but for
>> others, here is something I cooked up tonight to use up some sour cream
>> and some egg noodles.
>>
>> It's cooling now but it smells wonderful. I made it exactly as written
>> but cut it down just a little.
>>
>> http://www.hillshirefarm.com/recipes...casserole.aspx

>I like this sausage, but these days I have to choose the low-fat version
>of it. It's just as good as the regular, and a lot easier to live with
>later on.

Look around for a good Polish grocery or deli. The stuff most have is
half the fat of Hillshire and has better flavor.

The place I go to has a few versions: extra lean, extra garlic, and
fresh.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2011 9:42 AM, Pennyaline wrote:
> On 12/17/2011 7:18 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> Look around for a good Polish grocery or deli. The stuff most have is
>> half the fat of Hillshire and has better flavor.
>>
>> The place I go to has a few versions: extra lean, extra garlic, and
>> fresh.

> Oh, I wish. When I lived in Western New York, finding good Polish
> sausage was a no-brainer. It was everywhere. Here in the Salt Lake City
> region, however, things are different. The choices are Hillshire Farms,
> Johnsonville (okay, but only okay) and store brand. Meh. It's rare to
> find a deli with something decent, and meat markets are rarer.

A number will ship. A local place morphed from a meat market into a
kielbasa only shop. The smoked is smoked with real fruit wood on their
premises. They make tons of it and you actually have to order in advance
around the holidays.

If I had a choice of the hillsure kielbasa like product or none I would
go with none. I just can't get past the taste of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 22:07:53 -0700, Pennyaline
> wrote:

>On 12/16/2011 8:30 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> I already know how some people feel about this meat product but for
>> others, here is something I cooked up tonight to use up some sour cream
>> and some egg noodles.
>>
>> It's cooling now but it smells wonderful. I made it exactly as written
>> but cut it down just a little.
>>
>> http://www.hillshirefarm.com/recipes...casserole.aspx

>I like this sausage, but these days I have to choose the low-fat version
>of it. It's just as good as the regular, and a lot easier to live with
>later on.

If you first simmer the sausage for 30 minutes and toss the water you
get rid of substantial fat but more importantly you get rid of at
least half the curing salts. And rather than lose flavor simmering
improves flavor by causing the flavors of the spices to permeate the
meat. I think their low fat version is awful, it's made with turkey,
blech. For that recipe after simmering I'd suggest browning the
sausage coins before proceeding, adds more flavor (add onions to saute
some). However I can't see sour cream with kielbasa: TIAD. I think
that recipe would be better if you swap the sour cream for a basic
white sauce... then serve over the cooked noodles (or, rice, biscuits,
toast, etc.) rather than make the caserole. Could even add other
types of sausage coins (make an assortment), ring balogna, even good
tube steak. Personally I'd prefer no sauce, just cook in a huge pile
of sauerkraut... Silver Floss brand canned kraut is better for cooking
than fresh... Silver Floss is suprisingly good for canned. Drain the
kraut and replace with beer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 17, 7:08*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>. Silver Floss brand canned kraut is better for cooking
> than fresh... Silver Floss is suprisingly good for canned.

The stopped clock is right! Silver Floss is my wife's family's
favorite. Their Christmas Day sauerkraut will have been simmering with
mushrooms and chunks of kielbasa for hours.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
> Pennyaline wrote:
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>>> Look around for a good Polish grocery or deli. The stuff most have is
>>> half the fat of Hillshire and has better flavor.
>>> The place I go to has a few versions: extra lean, extra garlic, and
>>> fresh.

>> Oh, I wish. When I lived in Western New York, finding good Polish
>> sausage was a no-brainer. It was everywhere.

I lived in the NYC area for most of my life. I've bought kielbasa
from many Pollock butcher shops, especially in Riverhead/Pollock Town.
I didn't think it was anything special other than its exhorbitant
price. If you want good kielbasa make your own, it's very easy...
what do yur think the majority of Pollocks do, they won't pay those
butcher shop prices for the quantity they need to feed their family,
they make their own.

> Here in the Salt Lake City
>> region, however, things are different. The choices are Hillshire Farms,
>> Johnsonville (okay, but only okay) and store brand. Meh. It's rare to
>> find a deli with something decent, and meat markets are rarer.

>A number will ship.

The prices are astronomical, especially the over night shipping
charges.

>If I had a choice of the hillsure kielbasa like product or none I would
>go with none. I just can't get past the taste of it.

I think you're full of doodoo... if you were that fussy about sausage
you'd make your own... it's not difficult... and the same goes for
anyone who bitches about Hillshire and claims to only buy from Pollock
butchers. The ONLY way to have quality sausage is to make your own,
ALL others are mystery meat. In fact the small neighborhood butcher
shops use a far larger proportion of crappy mystery meat than
Hillshire. When you're stupid enough to pay $8/lb for Pollock tube
steak of course you're going to rave about it. Anyone with a decent
meat grinder can make their own fresh sausage in however large batches
and freeze it. I make up sausage and don't bother to stuff it into
casings, I make patties and meat balls and freeze them... I can make
up ten pounds from start to finish, including clean up, in under an
hour... I can grind whatever texture I like and season however I like.
When you buy kielbasa at a Pollock shop at those ridiculously high
prices you're paying for labor and extra profit, NOT quality... those
shops toss in all their scraps and trimmings. Sausage has always been
a way to use those parts no one would eat otherwise, even a dog
wouldn't eat those parts that Pollock butchers put in their kielbasa.
Either make your own or STFU.

For what it is I think Hillshire is fine, it's reasonably priced and
always available everywhere. I think it tastes as good as any,
however my only complaint is its texture, I prefer a coarser grind...
but it's still a good product as commercial sausage goes... sausage is
not intended to be porterhouse. I think most folks simply don't know
how to cook sausage. And even more people are too much of a snob to
admit they eat Hillshire... just lookit all the cheapo *******s who
cry about the cost of a meat grinder but brag about buying mystery
meat sausage from pricy butcher shops, makes me wonder if they really
bought it more than once.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>>. Silver Floss brand canned kraut is better for cooking
>> than fresh... Silver Floss is suprisingly good for canned.

>The stopped clock is right! Silver Floss is my wife's family's
>favorite. Their Christmas Day sauerkraut will have been simmering with
>mushrooms and chunks of kielbasa for hours.

Hmm, 'shrooms doesn't sound right with kraut or kielbasa.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> spamtrap1888 wrote:
>>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>>>. Silver Floss brand canned kraut is better for cooking
>>> than fresh... Silver Floss is suprisingly good for canned.

>>The stopped clock is right! Silver Floss is my wife's family's
>>favorite. Their Christmas Day sauerkraut will have been simmering with
>>mushrooms and chunks of kielbasa for hours.

> Hmm, 'shrooms doesn't sound right with kraut or kielbasa.

My mom always made Slovak Mushroom Sauerkraut soup for Christmas Eve. She
didn't put sausage in it but I bet it would be good, as in this recipe:
http://www.slovakcooking.com/2009/recipes/kapustnica/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 17, 2:40*pm, "news" > wrote:
> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

> > spamtrap1888 wrote:

> >>The stopped clock is right! Silver Floss is my wife's family's
> >>favorite. Their Christmas Day sauerkraut will have been simmering with
> >>mushrooms and chunks of kielbasa for hours.

> > Hmm, 'shrooms doesn't sound right with kraut or kielbasa.

> My mom always made Slovak Mushroom Sauerkraut soup for Christmas Eve. She
> didn't put sausage in it but I bet it would be good, as in this recipe:http://www.slovakcooking.com/2009/recipes/kapustnica/

Heck, I'd eat that!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemo the Clown" > wrote in message
> My mom always made Slovak Mushroom Sauerkraut soup for Christmas Eve. She
> didn't put sausage in it but I bet it would be good, as in this
> recipe:http://www.slovakcooking.com/2009/recipes/kapustnica/

>Heck, I'd eat that!!

As kids, my brothers and I HATED it with a passion (try making kids eat
sauerkraut and mushroom *anything*) but now it's the most delicious thing
ever!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz got all mendacious:

> butchers. The ONLY way to have quality sausage is to make your own,
> ALL others are mystery meat. In fact the small neighborhood butcher
> shops use a far larger proportion of crappy mystery meat than
> Hillshire. When you're stupid enough to pay $8/lb for Pollock tube
> steak of course you're going to rave about it. Anyone with a decent
> meat grinder can make their own fresh sausage in however large batches
> and freeze it. I make up sausage and don't bother to stuff it into
> casings, I make patties and meat balls and freeze them... I can make
> up ten pounds from start to finish, including clean up, in under an
> hour... I can grind whatever texture I like and season however I like.
> When you buy kielbasa at a Pollock shop at those ridiculously high
> prices you're paying for labor and extra profit, NOT quality

You don't make kielbasa. You have neither the knowledge nor the ability. You
make "dump" sausage from whatever you have on hand. Kielbasa is an
emulsified sausage, a category of sausages about which you are utterly
clueless.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 17, 6:54*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz got all mendacious:
>
> > butchers. *The ONLY way to have quality sausage is to make your own,
> > ALL others are mystery meat. *In fact the small neighborhood butcher
> > shops use a far larger proportion of crappy mystery meat than
> > Hillshire. *When you're stupid enough to pay $8/lb for Pollock tube
> > steak of course you're going to rave about it. *Anyone with a decent
> > meat grinder can make their own fresh sausage in however large batches
> > and freeze it. *I make up sausage and don't bother to stuff it into
> > casings, I make patties and meat balls and freeze them... I can make
> > up ten pounds from start to finish, including clean up, in under an
> > hour... I can grind whatever texture I like and season however I like.
> > When you buy kielbasa at a Pollock shop at those ridiculously high
> > prices you're paying for labor and extra profit, NOT quality

> You don't make kielbasa. You have neither the knowledge nor the ability. You
> make "dump" sausage from whatever you have on hand. Kielbasa is an
> emulsified sausage, a category of sausages about which you are utterly
> clueless.
>
> Bob

Son of a bitch -- now I have to defend Brokelyn. Are there two full
moons this month?

None of the kielbasas are emulsified sausages. The recipes in, for
example, the Strybels' Polish Heritage Cookery, all call for the meat
to be diced, or, at most, coarsely ground.

Fresh kielbasa requires no more than pork butts, salt, sugar, and
garlic, along with casings. A funnel can be used to stuff the casings
if no meat grinder/stuffer is available.

Terwilliger is likely thinking of the spicy, usually red, hot dog
called the "Polish" when served by hot dog stands. That indeed is
emulsified.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 18:54:30 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> Kielbasa is an
>emulsified sausage, a category of sausages about which you are utterly
>clueless.
>
>Bob

You need to find a better supplier. I've never seen an emulsified
kielbasa and I've made it and I've bought it at dozens of places.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 18:54:30 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>. Kielbasa is an
>emulsified sausage,

No, it is not

Garlic Kielbasa
Ingredients:
4 ts Coarse (kosher) salt
1 3/4 ts Ground black pepper
3 tb Sweet Hungarian paprika
1 ts Dried marjoram, crumbled
1/2 ts Dried savory, crumbled
2 ts Finely minced garlic
10 oz Trimmed beef shin, cut into 1/2" dice and chilled
16 oz Fresh pork fat, cut into 1/2" dice and chilled
1/3 c Ice water
1 1/4 lb Lean, trimmed pork, cut into 1" dice and chilled

1. Mix together in a small bowl the salt, pepper, paprika, marjoram,
savory, and garlic.

2. In the container of a food processor combine the beef, half the
pork fat, half the ice water, and half the mixed seasonings (see step
1) and process to a very fine grind.Scrape into a mixing bowl.

3. In a bowl combine the remaining seasonings, the pork, remaining
pork fat, and remaining water. Process half of the mixture at a time
to a coarse grind and add to the beef. Mix together very thoroughly,
cover,and chill for 24 hours.

4. Stuff the sausage into casings,tying links for 10 to 30 " long,
depending upon your preference. Both sizes (and everything in between)
are considered traditional. Hang the sausages in a cool, airy place
for several hours at least, or until the skin is smooth, dry, and
crackly. If it's too hot or humid to hang the sausages, refrigerate
them, uncovered, for at least 12 hours. To store, refrigerate for up
to 3 days, or freeze for longer keeping.

To Cook: Place one or more sausages in a large skillet with water to
come halfway up them. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 8 minutes,
then turn and cook for about 8 minutes on the other side. Pour off the
water, prick the sausages, and cook them over moderate heat until
browned on both sides.

Makes about 2-3/4 pounds

Polish Kielbasa
Ingredients:
6 Ft 2-1/2" diameter hog casings
3 lb Lean pork butt, cubed
1 lb Lean beef chuck, cubed
1/2 lb Veal, cubed
1/2 lb Pork fat, cubed
2 1/2 ts Salt, or to taste
3 ts Finely ground black pepper
2 ts Ground marjoram
2 ts Ground summer savory
1/2 ts Ground allspice
3 Cloves garlic, finely minced
2 tb Sweet paprika

"Recipes for this sausage are so variable that what passes for
kielbasa in one area might be regarded as not authentic in another.
The ingredients and pronunciation of kielbasa are as variable as are
the vagaries of the spring weather, the time of year when kielbasa is
traditionally made. This version uses pork, beef, and veal and makes
five lb"

1. Prepare the casings.

2. Grind the meats and fat together through
the coarse disk.

3. Mix the remaining ingredients with the meat.

4. Stuff the casings and leave the sausage in long links. Lengths of
eighteen inches to two feet are traditional.

5. Allow the sausage to dry in a cool place for three or four hours or
refrigerate for twenty-four hours uncovered.

6. Cook by roasting in a 425~ F. oven for forty-five minutes. These
sausages are also excellent grilled over a charcoal fire and eaten in
a Kaiser roll, lathered with a spicy brown mustard.

Lithuanian Kielbasa

To 5 pounds coarsely ground pork butts add:

1 heaping teaspoon pulverized whole mustard seeds,
1 heaping teaspoon whole allspice and
1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns.
Add 1/2 large onion
and 1 large clove garlic, finely minced;
1/4 cup salt; and
1/2 cup water.

Mix thoroughly, and stuff into casings. Poach or boil for 20 minutes.
Makes 6-8 servings.

This recipe is from Domesticity: A Gastronomic Interpretation of Love
by Bob Shacochis, copyright 1994 ISBN 0-684-19642-5

Fresh Kielbasa

Makes 5 pounds

Everyone in Eastern Europe seems to have a variation on this sausage.
Poland is most famous for their version, but I think this Lithuanian
recipe from Bill Daileda of Saint Casmir's will keep all of Eastern
Europe happy. It is the best that I have come across.

Ingredients:

1 Ѕ tablespoons salt
Ѕ tablespoon ground allspice
ј teaspoon garlic powder
Ѕ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Ѕ teaspoon MSG (optional)

1 pound beef chuck, cut into large pieces
4 pounds pork butt, cut into large pieces
1 ј pounds fresh pork fatback cut into large pieces

1/2 cup cold water
Sausage casings, about 14 feet, 1 inch in diameter

Mix all the spices in a small jar. Shake well to mix them.

Grind the meats and the fatback coarsely in a meat grinder or food
processor. Place the mixture in a bowl. Add the seasonings and mix
thoroughly through the meat. Mix in the cold water, which will make
the meat easier to stuff.

Stuff the mixture into casings

From: Frugal Gourmet "On Our Immigrant Ancestors"

Smoked Kielbasa

This is Bill Daileda's version of smoked sausage, and it is a bit
closer to what most Americans know as Polish sausage. It is Lithuanian
in origin, however, and not as fatty as that stuff you get from the
supermarket.

Ingredients:

1/2 teaspoon MSG (optional)
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
3/4 tablespoon curing salt(made by Morton's and available in specialty
shops or supermarkets)
1 /2 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon ground allspice
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

4 pounds pork butt, coarsely ground
1 pound beef, coarsely ground

To prepare, follow the directions for the fresh kielbasa, but then tie
the stuffed casings into rings and smoke them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed wrote:

>>. Kielbasa is an
>>emulsified sausage,

> No, it is not
>>

> Garlic Kielbasa
> Ingredients:
> 4 ts Coarse (kosher) salt
> 1 3/4 ts Ground black pepper
> 3 tb Sweet Hungarian paprika
> 1 ts Dried marjoram, crumbled
> 1/2 ts Dried savory, crumbled
> 2 ts Finely minced garlic
> 10 oz Trimmed beef shin, cut into 1/2" dice and chilled
> 16 oz Fresh pork fat, cut into 1/2" dice and chilled
> 1/3 c Ice water
> 1 1/4 lb Lean, trimmed pork, cut into 1" dice and chilled
>
> 1. Mix together in a small bowl the salt, pepper, paprika, marjoram,
> savory, and garlic.
>
> 2. In the container of a food processor combine the beef, half the
> pork fat, half the ice water, and half the mixed seasonings (see step
> 1) and process to a very fine grind.Scrape into a mixing bowl.

See that step right there? That's called an emulsion.

<snip remainder>

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2011 1:30 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> George wrote:
>> Pennyaline wrote:

>>> Oh, I wish. When I lived in Western New York, finding good Polish
>>> sausage was a no-brainer. It was everywhere.

> I lived in the NYC area for most of my life. I've bought kielbasa
> from many Pollock butcher shops, especially in Riverhead/Pollock Town.
> I didn't think it was anything special other than its exhorbitant
> price. If you want good kielbasa make your own, it's very easy...
> what do yur think the majority of Pollocks do, they won't pay those
> butcher shop prices for the quantity they need to feed their family,
> they make their own.
>
>> Here in the Salt Lake City
>>> region, however, things are different. The choices are Hillshire Farms,
>>> Johnsonville (okay, but only okay) and store brand. Meh. It's rare to
>>> find a deli with something decent, and meat markets are rarer.

>> A number will ship.

> The prices are astronomical, especially the over night shipping
> charges.
>
>> If I had a choice of the hillsure kielbasa like product or none I would
>> go with none. I just can't get past the taste of it.

> I think you're full of doodoo... if you were that fussy about sausage
> you'd make your own... it's not difficult... and the same goes for
> anyone who bitches about Hillshire and claims to only buy from Pollock
> butchers. The ONLY way to have quality sausage is to make your own,
> ALL others are mystery meat. In fact the small neighborhood butcher
> shops use a far larger proportion of crappy mystery meat than
> Hillshire. When you're stupid enough to pay $8/lb for Pollock tube
> steak of course you're going to rave about it. Anyone with a decent
> meat grinder can make their own fresh sausage in however large batches
> and freeze it. I make up sausage and don't bother to stuff it into
> casings, I make patties and meat balls and freeze them... I can make
> up ten pounds from start to finish, including clean up, in under an
> hour... I can grind whatever texture I like and season however I like.
> When you buy kielbasa at a Pollock shop at those ridiculously high
> prices you're paying for labor and extra profit, NOT quality... those
> shops toss in all their scraps and trimmings. Sausage has always been
> a way to use those parts no one would eat otherwise, even a dog
> wouldn't eat those parts that Pollock butchers put in their kielbasa.
> Either make your own or STFU.

You confirm you are a relic from the past who doesn't get out much
(guessing 20 years). Small minded people used to use all of those racial
slurs then.

So you are back to declaring you are omniscient?

The guys son in one local shop is a friend of mine and I have have
watched them make it. And the selling price is no where near $8/pound.

> For what it is I think Hillshire is fine, it's reasonably priced and
> always available everywhere. I think it tastes as good as any,

You mean as any industrial meat like product you can buy at walmart?

If thats what you like good for you. It still doesn't make it good or
comparable to a quality product.

> however my only complaint is its texture, I prefer a coarser grind...
> but it's still a good product as commercial sausage goes... sausage is
> not intended to be porterhouse. I think most folks simply don't know
> how to cook sausage. And even more people are too much of a snob to
> admit they eat Hillshire... just lookit all the cheapo *******s who
> cry about the cost of a meat grinder but brag about buying mystery
> meat sausage from pricy butcher shops, makes me wonder if they really
> bought it more than once.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kielbasa (was Recipe with Hillshire Farm Polska Kielbasa)

Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

> Kielbasa is an
> emulsified sausage,

Gentle reminder to anyone posting in this thread or elsewhe
"kielbasa" is just Polish for "sausage"... any kind of sausage.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 04:47:04 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Ed wrote:
>
>>>. Kielbasa is an
>>>emulsified sausage,

>> No, it is not
>>>

>> 2. In the container of a food processor combine the beef, half the
>> pork fat, half the ice water, and half the mixed seasonings (see step
>> 1) and process to a very fine grind.Scrape into a mixing bowl.

>See that step right there? That's called an emulsion.
>
><snip remainder>
>
>Bob

But that is one of hundreds of recipes. You can't make a statement
that kielbasa is an emulsion. Can be, but most are not. I've never
run across one in a store that was aside from the hot dog type.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 19:07:31 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

>On Dec 17, 6:54*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
>wrote:
>> Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz got all mendacious:
>>
>> > butchers. *The ONLY way to have quality sausage is to make your own,
>> > ALL others are mystery meat. *In fact the small neighborhood butcher
>> > shops use a far larger proportion of crappy mystery meat than
>> > Hillshire. *When you're stupid enough to pay $8/lb for Pollock tube
>> > steak of course you're going to rave about it. *Anyone with a decent
>> > meat grinder can make their own fresh sausage in however large batches
>> > and freeze it. *I make up sausage and don't bother to stuff it into
>> > casings, I make patties and meat balls and freeze them... I can make
>> > up ten pounds from start to finish, including clean up, in under an
>> > hour... I can grind whatever texture I like and season however I like.
>> > When you buy kielbasa at a Pollock shop at those ridiculously high
>> > prices you're paying for labor and extra profit, NOT quality

>> You don't make kielbasa. You have neither the knowledge nor the ability. You
>> make "dump" sausage from whatever you have on hand. Kielbasa is an
>> emulsified sausage, a category of sausages about which you are utterly
>> clueless.
>>
>> Bob

>Son of a bitch -- now I have to defend Brokelyn. Are there two full
>moons this month?
>
>None of the kielbasas are emulsified sausages. The recipes in, for
>example, the Strybels' Polish Heritage Cookery, all call for the meat
>to be diced, or, at most, coarsely ground.
>
>Fresh kielbasa requires no more than pork butts, salt, sugar, and
>garlic, along with casings. A funnel can be used to stuff the casings
>if no meat grinder/stuffer is available.
>
>Terwilliger is likely thinking of the spicy, usually red, hot dog
>called the "Polish" when served by hot dog stands. That indeed is
>emulsified.

I don't know how many times I gotta say it "There are as many ways to
make saw-seege as there are people who make saw-seege"... sausage
recipes are only a [rough] guide. Kielbasa can be made from pork or
beef, and other meats too, and texture is up to ones preference, I
happen to like a relatively coarsely ground texture but many like
coarsely emulsified with meat chunks mixed in, like ham balogna. With
most commercially prepared kielbasa the mixture is indeed sent through
an emulsifier, just not made as smooth as for frankfurters

I make fresh kielbasa, I don't do smoked, too much like work... fresh
kielbasa is so easy even a keybored kook can if it ever got up off its
useless baboon assface.

This is the kielbasa recipe I've been following (loosely) for many
years:
http://www.alliedkenco.com/PDF/Kielbasa_Fresh.pdf

With fresh sausage one needn't adhere to a recipe as carefully as with
cured sausage. I'm too lazy to stuff casings so I do bulk/chubs,
patties, and meat-a-ballskis. I also learned from a good friend
(Charles W. Ski Jr. [Chas]) to make a Czech version by adding roughly
smashed/cubed boiled potatoes and kraut (kapusta). It's the height of
ignoranusness to argue about how sausage must be made.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 08:01:47 -0500, George >
wrote:

>On 12/17/2011 1:30 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> George wrote:

>> I lived in the NYC area for most of my life. I've bought kielbasa
>> from many Pollock butcher shops, especially in Riverhead/Pollock Town.
>> I didn't think it was anything special other than its exhorbitant
>> price. If you want good kielbasa make your own, it's very easy...
>> what do yur think the majority of Pollocks do, they won't pay those
>> butcher shop prices for the quantity they need to feed their family,
>> they make their own.
>>
>>> Here in the Salt Lake City
>>>
>>> A number will ship.

>> The prices are astronomical, especially the over night shipping
>> charges.
>>
>>> If I had a choice of the hillsure kielbasa like product or none I would
>>> go with none. I just can't get past the taste of it.

>> I think you're full of doodoo... if you were that fussy about sausage
>> you'd make your own... it's not difficult... and the same goes for
>> anyone who bitches about Hillshire and claims to only buy from Pollock
>> butchers. The ONLY way to have quality sausage is to make your own,
>> ALL others are mystery meat. In fact the small neighborhood butcher
>> shops use a far larger proportion of crappy mystery meat than
>> Hillshire. When you're stupid enough to pay $8/lb for Pollock tube
>> steak of course you're going to rave about it. Anyone with a decent
>> meat grinder can make their own fresh sausage in however large batches
>> and freeze it. I make up sausage and don't bother to stuff it into
>> casings, I make patties and meat balls and freeze them... I can make
>> up ten pounds from start to finish, including clean up, in under an
>> hour... I can grind whatever texture I like and season however I like.
>> When you buy kielbasa at a Pollock shop at those ridiculously high
>> prices you're paying for labor and extra profit, NOT quality... those
>> shops toss in all their scraps and trimmings. Sausage has always been
>> a way to use those parts no one would eat otherwise, even a dog
>> wouldn't eat those parts that Pollock butchers put in their kielbasa.
>> Either make your own or STFU.

>You confirm you are a relic from the past who doesn't get out much
>(guessing 20 years). Small minded people used to use all of those racial
>slurs then.
>
>So you are back to declaring you are omniscient?
>
>The guys son in one local shop is a friend of mine and I have have
>watched them make it. And the selling price is no where near $8/pound.

He's babbled about this before. The place we go to has it for around
$2.50. Now he'll be calling me a liar again.

>> For what it is I think Hillshire is fine, it's reasonably priced and
>> always available everywhere. I think it tastes as good as any,

>You mean as any industrial meat like product you can buy at walmart?
>
>If thats what you like good for you. It still doesn't make it good or
>comparable to a quality product.

Yep. The stuff from a butcher is MUCH better. It figures he can't
tell the difference.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 18, 7:43*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 19:07:31 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
>

> > wrote:
> >On Dec 17, 6:54*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
> >wrote:
> >> Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz got all mendacious:

> >> You don't make kielbasa. You have neither the knowledge nor the ability. You
> >> make "dump" sausage from whatever you have on hand. Kielbasa is an
> >> emulsified sausage, a category of sausages about which you are utterly
> >> clueless.

> >> Bob

> >Son of a bitch -- now I have to defend Brokelyn. Are there two full
> >moons this month?

> >None of the kielbasas are emulsified sausages. The recipes in, for
> >example, the Strybels' Polish Heritage Cookery, all call for the meat
> >to be diced, or, at most, coarsely ground.

> >Fresh kielbasa requires no more than pork butts, salt, sugar, and
> >garlic, along with casings. A funnel can be used to stuff the casings
> >if no meat grinder/stuffer is available.

> >Terwilliger is likely thinking of the spicy, usually red, hot dog
> >called the "Polish" when served by hot dog stands. That indeed is
> >emulsified.

> I don't know how many times I gotta say it "There are as many ways to
> make saw-seege as there are people who make saw-seege"... sausage
> recipes are only a [rough] guide. *Kielbasa can be made from pork or
> beef, and other meats too, and texture is up to ones preference, I
> happen to like a relatively coarsely ground texture but many like
> coarsely emulsified with meat chunks mixed in, like ham balogna. *With
> most commercially prepared kielbasa the mixture is indeed sent through
> an emulsifier, just not made as smooth as for frankfurters
>
> I make fresh kielbasa, I don't do smoked, too much like work... fresh
> kielbasa is so easy even a keybored kook can if it ever got up off its
> useless baboon assface.
>
> This is the kielbasa recipe I've been following (loosely) for many
> years: *http://www.alliedkenco.com/PDF/Kielbasa_Fresh.pdf
>
> With fresh sausage one needn't adhere to a recipe as carefully as with
> cured sausage. *I'm too lazy to stuff casings so I do bulk/chubs,
> patties, and meat-a-ballskis. *I also learned from a good friend
> (Charles W. Ski Jr. [Chas]) to make a Czech version by adding roughly
> smashed/cubed boiled potatoes and kraut (kapusta). *It's the height of
> ignoranusness to argue about how sausage must be made.

I gotcher Rytek Kutas right here. (1987 edition). Although he
describes using a food processor to make emulsified sausage, none of
his kielbasa recipes call for anything but a meat grinder.

His fresh kielbasa section suggests freezing patties (using a
hamburger press) or filling chubs (sold to hunters to freeze ground
venison, etc.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 18, 9:20*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 08:01:47 -0500, George >
> wrote:

> >> I lived in the NYC area for most of my life. *I've bought kielbasa
> >> from many Pollock butcher shops, especially in Riverhead/Pollock Town.
> >> I didn't think it was anything special other than its exhorbitant
> >> price. *If you want good kielbasa make your own, it's very easy...
> >> what do yur think the majority of Pollocks do, they won't pay those
> >> butcher shop prices for the quantity they need to feed their family,
> >> they make their own.

> >> The prices are astronomical, especially the over night shipping
> >> charges.

> >> I think you're full of doodoo... if you were that fussy about sausage
> >> you'd make your own... it's not difficult... and the same goes for
> >> anyone who bitches about Hillshire and claims to only buy from Pollock
> >> butchers. *The ONLY way to have quality sausage is to make your own,
> >> ALL others are mystery meat. *In fact the small neighborhood butcher
> >> shops use a far larger proportion of crappy mystery meat than
> >> Hillshire. *When you're stupid enough to pay $8/lb for Pollock tube
> >> steak of course you're going to rave about it. *Anyone with a decent
> >> meat grinder can make their own fresh sausage in however large batches
> >> and freeze it. *I make up sausage and don't bother to stuff it into
> >> casings, I make patties and meat balls and freeze them... I can make
> >> up ten pounds from start to finish, including clean up, in under an
> >> hour... I can grind whatever texture I like and season however I like.
> >> When you buy kielbasa at a Pollock shop at those ridiculously high
> >> prices you're paying for labor and extra profit, NOT quality... those
> >> shops toss in all their scraps and trimmings. *Sausage has always been
> >> a way to use those parts no one would eat otherwise, even a dog
> >> wouldn't eat those parts that Pollock butchers put in their kielbasa.
> >> Either make your own or STFU.

> >You confirm you are a relic from the past who doesn't get out much
> >(guessing 20 years). Small minded people used to use all of those racial
> >slurs then.

> >So you are back to declaring you are omniscient?

> >The guys son in one local shop is a friend of mine and I have have
> >watched them make it. And the selling price is no where near $8/pound.

> He's babbled about this before. * The place we go to has it for around
> $2.50. *Now he'll be calling me a liar again.
>

> >> For what it is I think Hillshire is fine, it's reasonably priced and
> >> always available everywhere. *I think it tastes as good as any,

> >You mean as any industrial meat like product you can buy at walmart?

> >If thats what you like good for you. It still doesn't make it good or
> >comparable to a quality product.

> Yep. *The stuff from a butcher is MUCH better. *It figures he can't
> tell the difference.

Maybe I'll buy some Niman Ranch pork butts and see if quality meat
makes a difference.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

>>> I lived in the NYC area for most of my life. I've bought kielbasa
>>> from many Pollock butcher shops, especially in Riverhead/Pollock Town.
>>> I didn't think it was anything special other than its exhorbitant
>>> price. If you want good kielbasa make your own, it's very easy...
>>> what do yur think the majority of Pollocks do, they won't pay those
>>> butcher shop prices for the quantity they need to feed their family,
>>> they make their own.

>>> The prices are astronomical, especially the over night shipping
>>> charges.

>>> I think you're full of doodoo... if you were that fussy about sausage
>>> you'd make your own... it's not difficult... and the same goes for
>>> anyone who bitches about Hillshire and claims to only buy from Pollock
>>> butchers. The ONLY way to have quality sausage is to make your own,
>>> ALL others are mystery meat. In fact the small neighborhood butcher
>>> shops use a far larger proportion of crappy mystery meat than
>>> Hillshire. When you're stupid enough to pay $8/lb for Pollock tube
>>> steak of course you're going to rave about it. Anyone with a decent
>>> meat grinder can make their own fresh sausage in however large batches
>>> and freeze it. I make up sausage and don't bother to stuff it into
>>> casings, I make patties and meat balls and freeze them... I can make
>>> up ten pounds from start to finish, including clean up, in under an
>>> hour... I can grind whatever texture I like and season however I like.
>>> When you buy kielbasa at a Pollock shop at those ridiculously high
>>> prices you're paying for labor and extra profit, NOT quality... those
>>> shops toss in all their scraps and trimmings. Sausage has always been
>>> a way to use those parts no one would eat otherwise, even a dog
>>> wouldn't eat those parts that Pollock butchers put in their kielbasa.
>>> Either make your own or STFU.

>Small minded people used to use all of those racial slurs.

If you think Pollock is a race then it you who's a biggot... the
uneducated POS doesn't know that Pollock is an ethnicity AND a term of
endearment... do you know how many Pollock wives call their hubby a
dumb drunkin' Pollock and then drag them into the sack and swallow
their kielbasa.

This is only a small sample of some different styles of kielbasa one
can have shipped, and their prices!
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...refix=kielbasa

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 10:24:01 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

>On Dec 18, 7:43*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 19:07:31 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888

>> > wrote:

>> >Son of a bitch -- now I have to defend Brokelyn. Are there two full
>> >moons this month?

>> >None of the kielbasas are emulsified sausages. The recipes in, for
>> >example, the Strybels' Polish Heritage Cookery, all call for the meat
>> >to be diced, or, at most, coarsely ground.

>> >Fresh kielbasa requires no more than pork butts, salt, sugar, and
>> >garlic, along with casings. A funnel can be used to stuff the casings
>> >if no meat grinder/stuffer is available.

>> >Terwilliger is likely thinking of the spicy, usually red, hot dog
>> >called the "Polish" when served by hot dog stands. That indeed is
>> >emulsified.

>> I don't know how many times I gotta say it "There are as many ways to
>> make saw-seege as there are people who make saw-seege"... sausage
>> recipes are only a [rough] guide. *Kielbasa can be made from pork or
>> beef, and other meats too, and texture is up to ones preference, I
>> happen to like a relatively coarsely ground texture but many like
>> coarsely emulsified with meat chunks mixed in, like ham balogna. *With
>> most commercially prepared kielbasa the mixture is indeed sent through
>> an emulsifier, just not made as smooth as for frankfurters
>>
>> I make fresh kielbasa, I don't do smoked, too much like work... fresh
>> kielbasa is so easy even a keybored kook can if it ever got up off its
>> useless baboon assface.
>>
>> This is the kielbasa recipe I've been following (loosely) for many
>> years: *http://www.alliedkenco.com/PDF/Kielbasa_Fresh.pdf
>>
>> With fresh sausage one needn't adhere to a recipe as carefully as with
>> cured sausage. *I'm too lazy to stuff casings so I do bulk/chubs,
>> patties, and meat-a-ballskis. *I also learned from a good friend
>> (Charles W. Ski Jr. [Chas]) to make a Czech version by adding roughly
>> smashed/cubed boiled potatoes and kraut (kapusta). *It's the height of
>> ignoranusness to argue about how sausage must be made.

>I gotcher Rytek Kutas right here. (1987 edition). Although he
>describes using a food processor to make emulsified sausage, none of
>his kielbasa recipes call for anything but a meat grinder.

I have his book and have read it cover to cover several times. Kutas
writes mostly about food safety and equipment. His recipes at the
back of the book are suggestions, not the final word... they
illustrate the experiences of one man, his... there are as many ways
to prepare sausage as there are those who make sausage. "Emulsified"
without a standard by which to compare is a pretty meaningless term,
like "shiny" and "smooth". In manufacturing there are indeed
standards for comparing textures/finishes, just like paint chips are
used to compare coloration, but even standards leave space in between
for personal interpretation. For processed meat there is a very wide
range of textures from which one can choose, the standards are based
on personal experience, just as with baked goods, sauces, and every
type of food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 12:43:36 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 09:08:21 -0700, Christine Dabney wrote:
>
>> According to Ruhlman's Charcuterie book, kielbasa is NOT an emulisfied
>> sausage. Yes, it is a fine grind, but much less fine than an
>> emulsion. If you have his book, look up kielbasa, and then go to
>> the chapter on emulsified sausages and see the difference.

>I suppose it can be a fine grind but my experience in two of the top
>kielbassa eating states (PA and TX) tells me its most often coarse
>ground (100% IME).

It's coarse ground here too. The only city that has more Polish than
Chicago is Warsaw. That's not my IME either. It's a fact.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2011 12:20 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 08:01:47 -0500, >
> wrote:

>>> I lived in the NYC area for most of my life. I've bought kielbasa
>>> from many Pollock butcher shops, especially in Riverhead/Pollock Town.
>>> I didn't think it was anything special other than its exhorbitant
>>> price. If you want good kielbasa make your own, it's very easy...
>>> what do yur think the majority of Pollocks do, they won't pay those
>>> butcher shop prices for the quantity they need to feed their family,
>>> they make their own.

>>> The prices are astronomical, especially the over night shipping
>>> charges.

>>> I think you're full of doodoo... if you were that fussy about sausage
>>> you'd make your own... it's not difficult... and the same goes for
>>> anyone who bitches about Hillshire and claims to only buy from Pollock
>>> butchers. The ONLY way to have quality sausage is to make your own,
>>> ALL others are mystery meat. In fact the small neighborhood butcher
>>> shops use a far larger proportion of crappy mystery meat than
>>> Hillshire. When you're stupid enough to pay $8/lb for Pollock tube
>>> steak of course you're going to rave about it. Anyone with a decent
>>> meat grinder can make their own fresh sausage in however large batches
>>> and freeze it. I make up sausage and don't bother to stuff it into
>>> casings, I make patties and meat balls and freeze them... I can make
>>> up ten pounds from start to finish, including clean up, in under an
>>> hour... I can grind whatever texture I like and season however I like.
>>> When you buy kielbasa at a Pollock shop at those ridiculously high
>>> prices you're paying for labor and extra profit, NOT quality... those
>>> shops toss in all their scraps and trimmings. Sausage has always been
>>> a way to use those parts no one would eat otherwise, even a dog
>>> wouldn't eat those parts that Pollock butchers put in their kielbasa.
>>> Either make your own or STFU.

>> You confirm you are a relic from the past who doesn't get out much
>> (guessing 20 years). Small minded people used to use all of those racial
>> slurs then.
>>
>> So you are back to declaring you are omniscient?
>>
>> The guys son in one local shop is a friend of mine and I have have
>> watched them make it. And the selling price is no where near $8/pound.

> He's babbled about this before. The place we go to has it for around
> $2.50. Now he'll be calling me a liar again.
>>>
>>> For what it is I think Hillshire is fine, it's reasonably priced and
>>> always available everywhere. I think it tastes as good as any,

>> You mean as any industrial meat like product you can buy at walmart?
>>
>> If thats what you like good for you. It still doesn't make it good or
>> comparable to a quality product.

> Yep. The stuff from a butcher is MUCH better. It figures he can't
> tell the difference.

But there are times you just can't beat the price for a cheap meal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 09:40:45 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 15:39:55 +0100, Victor Sack wrote:
>
>> Bob Terwilliger > wrote:
>>
>>> Kielbasa is an
>>> emulsified sausage,

>> Gentle reminder to anyone posting in this thread or elsewhe
>> "kielbasa" is just Polish for "sausage"... any kind of sausage.

>Yes, a polish-style sausage here in the U.S. of A.
>
>-sw

O.k., how would I know which was a kielbasa and which was a bratwurst
-- given that bratwurst is any sausage and kielbasa is any sausage.
What flavors, textures, colors differentiate them. If I had grown up
in Milwaukee, no doubt I would know this from experience. Inquiring
minds. . .
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 18, 12:32*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 09:40:45 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:

> >> Gentle reminder to anyone posting in this thread or elsewhe
> >> "kielbasa" is just Polish for "sausage"... any kind of sausage.

> >Yes, a polish-style sausage here in the U.S. of A.

> >-sw

> O.k., how would I know which was a kielbasa and which was a bratwurst
> -- given that bratwurst is any sausage and kielbasa is any sausage.
> What flavors, textures, colors differentiate them. *If I had grown up
> in Milwaukee, no doubt I would know this from experience. *Inquiring
> minds. . .
> Janet *US

Bratwurst is a specific sausage, made from veal and pork. In Milwaukee
you can get a variation known as a Sheboygan brat.

Kielbasa, without any adjective, is a fresh sausage made with pork and
garlic, although other spices can be added.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 12:47:12 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

>On Dec 18, 12:32*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 09:40:45 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>> >Yes, a polish-style sausage here in the U.S. of A.

>> >-sw

>> O.k., how would I know which was a kielbasa and which was a bratwurst
>> -- given that bratwurst is any sausage and kielbasa is any sausage.
>> What flavors, textures, colors differentiate them. *If I had grown up
>> in Milwaukee, no doubt I would know this from experience. *Inquiring
>> minds. . .
>> Janet *US

>Bratwurst is a specific sausage, made from veal and pork. In Milwaukee
>you can get a variation known as a Sheboygan brat.
>
>Kielbasa, without any adjective, is a fresh sausage made with pork and
>garlic, although other spices can be added.

In Sheboygan you get the original Sheboygan brat. Milwaukee's brat is
a bit different, as is every other community in Wisconsin. I don't
think it is as simple as saying kielbasa is made only with one type of
meat. I know that there are (were at one time) several different
colors, grinds and spicing of brats available in Wisconsin for
grilling. Shape varied a little as well. I am truly curious how one
can tell the difference in a mixed community representing several
areas of that part of Europe.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> >Yes, a polish-style sausage here in the U.S. of A.

>> >-sw

>> O.k., how would I know which was a kielbasa and which was a bratwurst
>> -- given that bratwurst is any sausage and kielbasa is any sausage.
>> What flavors, textures, colors differentiate them. *If I had grown up
>> in Milwaukee, no doubt I would know this from experience. *Inquiring
>> minds. . .
>> Janet *US

>Bratwurst is a specific sausage, made from veal and pork. In Milwaukee
>you can get a variation known as a Sheboygan brat.
>
>Kielbasa, without any adjective, is a fresh sausage made with pork and
>garlic, although other spices can be added.

Wurst without any adjective is just a sausage too. And there is also
chiorzo for the Basque region.

As for the bratwurst, many will disagree as to the meat type. There
are many recipes, not all using veal and pork. Some have one or the
other or may also include beef.

Brat = finely chopped meat
Wurst = sausage
Thus, any finely shopped meat in sausage form is a bratwurst.

Most kielbasa found in a US Polish grocery, adjective or not, tends to
have a specific flavor range and is usually smoked.

Seems that many words take on new and different meanings in different
counties and regions.

Don't forget knackwurst and bockwurst that can also have that same
meat mix.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 12:47:12 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

>On Dec 18, 12:32*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 09:40:45 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>> >Yes, a polish-style sausage here in the U.S. of A.

>> >-sw

>> O.k., how would I know which was a kielbasa and which was a bratwurst
>> -- given that bratwurst is any sausage and kielbasa is any sausage.
>> What flavors, textures, colors differentiate them. *If I had grown up
>> in Milwaukee, no doubt I would know this from experience. *Inquiring
>> minds. . .
>> Janet *US

>Bratwurst is a specific sausage, made from veal and pork. In Milwaukee
>you can get a variation known as a Sheboygan brat.
>
>Kielbasa, without any adjective, is a fresh sausage made with pork and
>garlic, although other spices can be added.

Both your answers couldn't be more wrong. Bratwust is a generality
for kraut sausage... "wurst" is the determinent". There is no such
thing anywhere on this planet where a *specific* sausage exists...
that would be like saying there's a specific vegetable soup. You can
poll 1,000 sausagemakers and you'll get 1,000 versions of any sausage.
And kielbasa can be fresh or cured/smoked or not, and 1,000
sausagemakers will give you 1.000 versions, probably more because each
one will have several versions.. WTF do people come off pretending
they know about food when they know absolutely zero. Sausage is
likely the least specific food there is, every frankfurter company
makes theirs differently.. how many different versions of guinea
sausage do yoose think there are, probably well over 50,000,000.

Banned

Есть прикольные моменты статьях на www.foodbanter.comе, спасибо, а фид есть?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2011 2:53 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 12:43:36 -0600, >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 09:08:21 -0700, Christine Dabney wrote:
>>
>>> According to Ruhlman's Charcuterie book, kielbasa is NOT an emulisfied
>>> sausage. Yes, it is a fine grind, but much less fine than an
>>> emulsion. If you have his book, look up kielbasa, and then go to
>>> the chapter on emulsified sausages and see the difference.

>> I suppose it can be a fine grind but my experience in two of the top
>> kielbassa eating states (PA and TX) tells me its most often coarse
>> ground (100% IME).

> It's coarse ground here too. The only city that has more Polish than
> Chicago is Warsaw. That's not my IME either. It's a fact.
>
> Lou

And it is course ground in Poland.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2011 12:20 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 08:01:47 -0500, >
> wrote:

>>> I lived in the NYC area for most of my life. I've bought kielbasa
>>> from many Pollock butcher shops, especially in Riverhead/Pollock Town.
>>> I didn't think it was anything special other than its exhorbitant
>>> price. If you want good kielbasa make your own, it's very easy...
>>> what do yur think the majority of Pollocks do, they won't pay those
>>> butcher shop prices for the quantity they need to feed their family,
>>> they make their own.

>>> The prices are astronomical, especially the over night shipping
>>> charges.

>>> I think you're full of doodoo... if you were that fussy about sausage
>>> you'd make your own... it's not difficult... and the same goes for
>>> anyone who bitches about Hillshire and claims to only buy from Pollock
>>> butchers. The ONLY way to have quality sausage is to make your own,
>>> ALL others are mystery meat. In fact the small neighborhood butcher
>>> shops use a far larger proportion of crappy mystery meat than
>>> Hillshire. When you're stupid enough to pay $8/lb for Pollock tube
>>> steak of course you're going to rave about it. Anyone with a decent
>>> meat grinder can make their own fresh sausage in however large batches
>>> and freeze it. I make up sausage and don't bother to stuff it into
>>> casings, I make patties and meat balls and freeze them... I can make
>>> up ten pounds from start to finish, including clean up, in under an
>>> hour... I can grind whatever texture I like and season however I like.
>>> When you buy kielbasa at a Pollock shop at those ridiculously high
>>> prices you're paying for labor and extra profit, NOT quality... those
>>> shops toss in all their scraps and trimmings. Sausage has always been
>>> a way to use those parts no one would eat otherwise, even a dog
>>> wouldn't eat those parts that Pollock butchers put in their kielbasa.
>>> Either make your own or STFU.

>> You confirm you are a relic from the past who doesn't get out much
>> (guessing 20 years). Small minded people used to use all of those racial
>> slurs then.
>>
>> So you are back to declaring you are omniscient?
>>
>> The guys son in one local shop is a friend of mine and I have have
>> watched them make it. And the selling price is no where near $8/pound.

> He's babbled about this before. The place we go to has it for around
> $2.50. Now he'll be calling me a liar again.

I just bought some two weeks ago from a place I spotted while on the
road. It was $4 which was the highest I ever paid. The quality was
excellent.

He hasn't been out much for the past twenty years and sits home all day
on the computer telling people who do go out and who have lots of
experiences that he knows more about what they experience than they do...

>>> For what it is I think Hillshire is fine, it's reasonably priced and
>>> always available everywhere. I think it tastes as good as any,

>> You mean as any industrial meat like product you can buy at walmart?
>>
>> If thats what you like good for you. It still doesn't make it good or
>> comparable to a quality product.

> Yep. The stuff from a butcher is MUCH better. It figures he can't
> tell the difference.
>
> Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2011 3:06 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 12/18/2011 12:20 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 08:01:47 -0500, >
>> wrote:

>>> You confirm you are a relic from the past who doesn't get out much
>>> (guessing 20 years). Small minded people used to use all of those racial
>>> slurs then.
>>>
>>> So you are back to declaring you are omniscient?
>>>
>>> The guys son in one local shop is a friend of mine and I have have
>>> watched them make it. And the selling price is no where near $8/pound.

>> He's babbled about this before. The place we go to has it for around
>> $2.50. Now he'll be calling me a liar again.

>>> You mean as any industrial meat like product you can buy at walmart?
>>>
>>> If thats what you like good for you. It still doesn't make it good or
>>> comparable to a quality product.

>> Yep. The stuff from a butcher is MUCH better. It figures he can't
>> tell the difference.

> But there are times you just can't beat the price for a cheap meal.

But cheap doesn't have to be junky industrial sausage. As I mentioned
before I have been in many different countries and always go out to
sample what was available on the street and at food stalls. I am sure I
have eaten every part of an animal. But I just can't stand the taste of
that hillsure stuff.

If my only choice was something made by hillsure I simply wouldn't bother.

If you are a meat eater you can say make an inexpensive feast with a
piece of chuck and some root vegetables.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 19, 5:36*am, George > wrote:
> On 12/18/2011 3:06 PM, Cheryl wrote:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 15:06:41 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 12/18/2011 12:20 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:

>> He's babbled about this before. The place we go to has it for around
>> $2.50. Now he'll be calling me a liar again.

>>> You mean as any industrial meat like product you can buy at walmart?
>>>
>>> If thats what you like good for you. It still doesn't make it good or
>>> comparable to a quality product.

>> Yep. The stuff from a butcher is MUCH better. It figures he can't
>> tell the difference.

>But there are times you just can't beat the price for a cheap meal.

I depends on where you live. The last time we got Polish sausage it
was on sale for $1.89 a pound at the butcher.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 06:53:32 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

>On Dec 19, 5:36*am, George > wrote:
>> On 12/18/2011 3:06 PM, Cheryl wrote:

>> If my only choice was something made by hillsure I simply wouldn't bother.
>>
>> If you are a meat eater you can say make an inexpensive feast with a
>> piece of chuck and some root vegetables.

>As even Brokelyn knows, all you need for good (fresh) sausage is a
>pork butt, a grinder, and some seasonings. While trying to find
>replacement parts for my vintage Universal No. 2, I found a site
>online selling them for $20. Pork butts should go on sale for $2.40/
>lb. or less -- sometimes much less. Freeze what you don't eat
>immediately.

A meat grinder is a wonderful thing. It's one of the few things I
agree with shemp on.

Lou