FoodBanter.com

-   -   Please help me decide.... (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/413542-please-help-me-decide.html)

Zz Yzx 10-12-2011 02:01 AM

Please help me decide....

'k, today I went to "The Fatted Calf Charcuterie" in Napa, CA:

http://fattedcalf.com/

and picked up 2 pork porterhouse steaks, each about 1" thick and 14
oz. I'll have them for dinner tomorrow.

Anybody got a suggestion how to cook 'em?

-Zz
"Zz Yzx" rhymes with "physics"; or " Isaacs" if you prefer.
http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/zzyzx_road.htm

Gary 10-12-2011 11:11 AM

Please help me decide....

Zz Yzx wrote:

> 'k, today I went to "The Fatted Calf Charcuterie" in Napa, CA:
>
> http://fattedcalf.com/
>
> and picked up 2 pork porterhouse steaks, each about 1" thick and 14
> oz. I'll have them for dinner tomorrow.
>
> Anybody got a suggestion how to cook 'em?

Here's what I would do:
Sprinkle with some dried basil, dried parsley, very small amount of garlic
powder, cracked pepper and kosher salt. Press this into the meat then add
some worchestershire sauce. Flip them over and repeat this. Let it sit for
up to an hour to come to room temperature or close to it.

Then either put on grill or if using a frying pan, hot sear them for about
60 seconds on each side, then turn down the burner and cook until desired
doneness. I prefer medium-rare.

Cook some onions and white mushrooms along with this to put on top or the
side.

Note: I used to cook steaks plain but this recipe comes from my daughter's
old boyfriend who was head-chef at an upscale local restaurant. Once I tried
it, I've always stuck with it. Done right, the spices don't overwhelm the
steak flavor, it just takes it to the "next level."

HTH.

Gary