FoodBanter.com

-   -   How do I make puree out of the pumpkin flesh of a carved pumpkin? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/412327-how-do-i-make.html)

malesheep 30-10-2011 10:16 AM

How do I make puree out of the pumpkin flesh of a carved pumpkin?

First, the farmer said the pumpkin was meant to be eaten.
Normally I'd roast the pumpkin itself, but in this case I've got the
flesh already, what do I do to turn it into puree?
Thanks
Doug

Jim Elbrecht 30-10-2011 11:54 AM

How do I make puree out of the pumpkin flesh of a carved pumpkin?

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 10:16:28 +0000,
wrote:

>First, the farmer said the pumpkin was meant to be eaten.
>Normally I'd roast the pumpkin itself, but in this case I've got the
>flesh already, what do I do to turn it into puree?

Nuke it until it is soft-- then forcibly strain through a cotton
cloth. [I use a flour cloth, balled up and twisted until no more water
comes out. Some folks let it drip for hours through a cheesecloth.]

My daughter just did it with the removed bits of 4 pumpkins. IMO,
these were jack-O-lantern pumpkins, though they were labeled 'pie or
carving' in the market.

I've never seen a good pie pumpkin over about 8-10 inches in diameter.
After that the sweetness and flavor drops off considerably. That
said-- *any* pumpkin *can* be used for pie.

We started with a heaping pile of [peeled] pumpkin in a 3 quart
casserole dish. Nuked on high for 20 minutes or so. Mashed down
to about a quart. And then squeezed 50-60 percent of the volume.

Added sugar to taste-- made a decent pie. [her recipe had ginger in it
which isn't something I usually add, but I will from here out.]

Jim

sf[_9_] 30-10-2011 07:02 PM

wrote:

> First, the farmer said the pumpkin was meant to be eaten.
> Normally I'd roast the pumpkin itself, but in this case I've got the
> flesh already, what do I do to turn it into puree?
> Thanks
> Doug

Have you cooked it yet? Mash it after you do that and let it drain
overnight in a colander.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Brooklyn1 30-10-2011 07:20 PM

sf wrote:
>malesheep)tops.co.uk wrote:
>
>> First, the farmer said the pumpkin was meant to be eaten.
>> Normally I'd roast the pumpkin itself, but in this case I've got the
>> flesh already, what do I do to turn it into puree?
>> Thanks

>Have you cooked it yet? Mash it after you do that and let it drain
>overnight in a colander.

Someone oughtta stick a catheter in your fat poop chute and let you
drain overnight. LOL Much better to put the punkin outdoors and let
the critters have at it, buy canned and save yourself a lot of effort.
And iffn ya really gotta have a DIY project butternut squash is in the
produce section now by the ton.

Miche[_2_] 31-10-2011 02:38 AM

How do I make puree out of the pumpkin flesh of a carved pumpkin?

In article >,
wrote:

> First, the farmer said the pumpkin was meant to be eaten.
> Normally I'd roast the pumpkin itself, but in this case I've got the
> flesh already, what do I do to turn it into puree?

Boil or microwave it until soft and then run it through a food mill.
(Drain it well first if you're boiling it.)

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

projectile vomit chick[_3_] 31-10-2011 06:05 AM

On Oct 30, 2:20*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> sf wrote:
> >malesheep)tops.co.uk wrote:

> >> First, the farmer said the pumpkin was meant to be eaten.
> >> Normally I'd roast the pumpkin itself, but in this case I've got the
> >> flesh already, what do I do to turn it into puree?
> >> Thanks

> >Have you cooked it yet? *Mash it after you do that and let it drain
> >overnight in a colander.

> Someone oughtta stick a catheter in your fat poop chute and let you
> drain overnight.

ROFL