Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do You Do Much Cooking In Your Microwave?

I got my first microwave in 1983, and at first I experimented by trying
out several things in it, but was never that "thrilled" with the
results, except I do have a excellent carrot dish I make in it, and we
all like that. I also really like it for making white sauce, pudding,
and candy, but find it especially handy, for melting chocolate,
softening butter and cream cheese, and cooking frozen veggies in it.
Hubby uses it for Stove Top stuffing and the package gravies. Of course,
we defrost a lot in it, and also soften day old rolls, warm up leftovers
and heat water for beverages, so would miss it if I didn't have it, as
find I use it frequently.

Do you like to cook in yours, and if so, what are some of your favorite
foods to prepare in there?

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 8, 11:21*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> I got my first microwave in 1983, and at first I experimented by trying
> out several things in it, but was never that "thrilled" with the
> results, except I do have a excellent carrot dish I make in it, and we
> all like that. I also really like it for making white sauce, pudding,
> and candy, but find it especially handy, for melting chocolate,
> softening butter and cream cheese, and cooking frozen veggies in it.
> Hubby uses it for Stove Top stuffing and the package gravies. Of course,
> we defrost a lot in it, and also soften day old rolls, warm up leftovers
> and heat water for beverages, so would miss it if I didn't have it, as
> find I use it frequently.
>
> Do you like to cook in yours, and if so, what are some of your favorite
> foods to prepare in there?
>
> Judy

I only use a microwave to warm stuff up. Leftover pizza etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sw wrote:

>We did this about 3 weeks, Judy. Get a
> life.

May I suggest the same for you. FYI, I was not yet posting here at that
time, and I'm certainly no mind reader. Besides, many of the same things
have been discussed more than once, since I found this group, and nobody
is forced to post in all threads, that they have no interest in.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> I got my first microwave in 1983, and at first I experimented by trying
> out several things in it, but was never that "thrilled" with the
> results, except I do have a excellent carrot dish I make in it, and we
> all like that. I also really like it for making white sauce, pudding,
> and candy, but find it especially handy, for melting chocolate,
> softening butter and cream cheese, and cooking frozen veggies in it.
> Hubby uses it for Stove Top stuffing and the package gravies. Of course,
> we defrost a lot in it, and also soften day old rolls, warm up leftovers
> and heat water for beverages, so would miss it if I didn't have it, as
> find I use it frequently.
>
> Do you like to cook in yours, and if so, what are some of your favorite
> foods to prepare in there?

Not really. When I first got mine I would make chocolate pudding and
muffins. The muffins came out large and fluffy. However, pudding and
muffins are not among my favorite things and I never make them any more. I
also used to cook eggs but now that I know I am allergic to them, I don't
eat them any more.

Mostly I used the microwave to reheat leftovers. I heat the Teff Wraps for
my daughter and also her gluten free bread. I do make nachos in it but I do
believe that they come out better in the oven.

I used to boil water in it but now I have an electric kettle. Just as fast
if not faster and I can make more at a time.

I used to heat up canned things like chili and soup but didn't like the way
that it made the bowls too hot. So I heat those on the stove now.

Once in a while I will buy some kind of frozen food that I will heat in the
microwave.

But overall I find it doesn't do well for cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Oct 8, 8:21*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> I got my first microwave in 1983, and at first I experimented by trying
> out several things in it, but was never that "thrilled" with the
> results, except I do have a excellent carrot dish I make in it, and we
> all like that. I also really like it for making white sauce, pudding,
> and candy, but find it especially handy, for melting chocolate,
> softening butter and cream cheese, and cooking frozen veggies in it.
> Hubby uses it for Stove Top stuffing and the package gravies. Of course,
> we defrost a lot in it, and also soften day old rolls, warm up leftovers
> and heat water for beverages, so would miss it if I didn't have it, as
> find I use it frequently.
>
> Do you like to cook in yours, and if so, what are some of your favorite
> foods to prepare in there?
>
> Judy

I got rid of my microwave years ago. Don't like them. I will use
one once in a blue moon at work
to warm up something, but only as a last resort.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> I got my first microwave in 1983, and at first I experimented by trying
> out several things in it, but was never that "thrilled" with the
> results, except I do have a excellent carrot dish I make in it, and we
> all like that. I also really like it for making white sauce, pudding,
> and candy, but find it especially handy, for melting chocolate,
> softening butter and cream cheese, and cooking frozen veggies in it.
> Hubby uses it for Stove Top stuffing and the package gravies. Of course,
> we defrost a lot in it, and also soften day old rolls, warm up leftovers
> and heat water for beverages, so would miss it if I didn't have it, as
> find I use it frequently.
>
> Do you like to cook in yours, and if so, what are some of your favorite
> foods to prepare in there?

Mine is a combination oven which I use a lot. The microwave part though not
so much. I use it for for defrosting mostly.
--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/10/2011 1:03 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
I use it frequently.

>> Do you like to cook in yours, and if so, what are some of your favorite
>> foods to prepare in there?
>>
>> Judy

> I got rid of my microwave years ago. Don't like them. I will use
> one once in a blue moon at work
> to warm up something, but only as a last resort.

I don't know why I replaced my old one when the timer/power switch
broke. I had rarely used it. I seldom use the new one. I think that the
last time I used it was about 4 months ago, and that was just to soften
some butter. Sure, it did a quick job of that, but it hardly justifies
the counter space it occupies.
Senior Member

Location: WI

Had one back in the day, too. I remember the picture of an antire turkey , beautifully browned. Tried hanburgers, chicken, etc. Godaweful.

I'll steam veggies over boiling water and I can make rice more nice on the stovetop. Good for heatng up soups and stews. good at heating up the rice; but I like stainless for rice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 09:49:35 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 09/10/2011 1:03 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
> I use it frequently.
>>>
>>> Do you like to cook in yours, and if so, what are some of your favorite
>>> foods to prepare in there?
>>>
>>> Judy

>> I got rid of my microwave years ago. Don't like them. I will use
>> one once in a blue moon at work
>> to warm up something, but only as a last resort.
>>

>I don't know why I replaced my old one when the timer/power switch
>broke. I had rarely used it. I seldom use the new one. I think that the
>last time I used it was about 4 months ago, and that was just to soften
>some butter. Sure, it did a quick job of that, but it hardly justifies
>the counter space it occupies.

Microwave ovens are available in many sizes, if all you use it for is
to reheat get a small one. I have a GE under cabinet style but I use
it on the countertop, it's on the small side and occupies a very small
corner footprint. A day doesn't pass that I don't use my microwave to
reheat something but rarely use it to actually cook except a few times
a season for corn on the cob (if you want to call that cooking). I've
tried cooking with a microwave oven and it can do a pretty good job
with certain foods but not for the amounts I typically cook. I find
nuking a portion of stoup in the bowl I eat it from is far superior to
dirtying a pot and having to watch it heat on the stove top. With a
microwave it's easy to set the time and power level and it always
signals so it's near impossible to burn something. And I don't think
a day passes that I don't use my nuker to reheat my last half cup of
coffee. I'd have a microwave oven on my counter way ahead of several
other small kitchen appliances. I've been using my GE for over 25
years and when it finally goes I intend to get another but a larger
one, one with bit more head room to accomodate many of my covered
casseroles without having to use the lid upside down.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>> ImStillMags wrote:
>> I use it frequently.

>> > I got rid of my microwave years ago. Don't like them. I will use
>> > one once in a blue moon at work
>> > to warm up something, but only as a last resort.

>> I don't know why I replaced my old one when the timer/power switch
>> broke. I had rarely used it. I seldom use the new one. I think that the
>> last time I used it was about 4 months ago, and that was just to soften
>> some butter. Sure, it did a quick job of that, but it hardly justifies
>> the counter space it occupies.

>I've become a huge fan of Pastorio's methods. Almost all veggies now
>are steamed in the microwave in a covered corningware. It's been really
>handy since steaming is almost the only way I cook veggies any more.

That's not his method... people here (and everywhere) have been nuking
veggies for forever, from long before Pastorio ever arrived at RFC...
every bag of frozen veggies (and most frozen foods) has had microwave
cooking directions printed on the package for as long as I can
remember. Pastorio had no methods, he was the original keyboard
kook... he could out type folks is all, he was a driven obsessed
keyboarder... Pastorio was the most verbose know nothing usenet has
ever seen, before, during, and since.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Oct 2011 16:19:30 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

>On 9-Oct-2011, Omelet > wrote:
>
>> Almost all veggies now
>> are steamed in the microwave in a covered corningware. It's been really
>> handy since steaming is almost the only way I cook veggies any more.

>This is probably my number two reason to use a microwave; reheating being
>first and cooking various kinds of fish being third.

You microwave fish... you must be Vietnamese or Eyetalian not to
notice the schtink. I once made the fatal error of reheating pizza
that had anchovy topping... oy vey.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Got my first microwave in 1971. The main thing is heating up a cup of
instant coffee. The other two main uses are cooking eggs and thawing out
things or tv dinners.

Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I use my microwave for:

- Melting chocolate, butter, etc.

- Re-heating leftover sauces.

- Emergency thawing.

- Partially cooking vegetables, including potatoes, to speed their cooking buy
other methods in specific recipes or to equalize cooking times in complex
dishes.

- Pre-heating espresso cups.

- The rest of the time, it's our breadbox.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 09/10/2011 1:03 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
> I use it frequently.
>>>
>>> Do you like to cook in yours, and if so, what are some of your favorite
>>> foods to prepare in there?
>>>
>>> Judy

>> I got rid of my microwave years ago. Don't like them. I will use
>> one once in a blue moon at work
>> to warm up something, but only as a last resort.
>>

> I don't know why I replaced my old one when the timer/power switch broke.
> I had rarely used it. I seldom use the new one. I think that the last time
> I used it was about 4 months ago, and that was just to soften some butter.
> Sure, it did a quick job of that, but it hardly justifies the counter
> space it occupies.

Mine is used daily. But usually just once or twice a day and usually not by
me. My husband cooks eggs in it. Daughter made something in it this
morning. I don't know what it was. And if I make her a sandwich I put her
bread in there for 10 seconds.

This house came with a built in space for a microwave. It's an 80's house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Sun, 9 Oct 2011 16:19:30 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:
>

>>On 9-Oct-2011, Omelet > wrote:
>>
>>> Almost all veggies now
>>> are steamed in the microwave in a covered corningware. It's been really
>>> handy since steaming is almost the only way I cook veggies any more.

>>This is probably my number two reason to use a microwave; reheating being
>>first and cooking various kinds of fish being third.

> You microwave fish... you must be Vietnamese or Eyetalian not to
> notice the schtink. I once made the fatal error of reheating pizza
> that had anchovy topping... oy vey.

Once I was in a hurry for tuna casserole that was in the oven but not
heated through. I made the mistake of putting it in the microwave. Oh it
heated through just fine. But the smell! Ooooooooh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Oct 2011 12:59:00 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
.. .

>>>This is probably my number two reason to use a microwave; reheating being
>>>first and cooking various kinds of fish being third.

>> You microwave fish... you must be Vietnamese or Eyetalian not to
>> notice the schtink. I once made the fatal error of reheating pizza
>> that had anchovy topping... oy vey.

>Once I was in a hurry for tuna casserole that was in the oven but not
>heated through. I made the mistake of putting it in the microwave. Oh it
>heated through just fine. But the smell! Ooooooooh.

Exactly. Microwaves do something to fish that should make it illegal

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

> I got rid of my microwave years ago. Don't like them. I will use
> one once in a blue moon at work
> to warm up something, but only as a last resort.

I have a combination microwave/toaster oven that
I bought for some experiments in microwave coffee
roasting. Because it has a resistance heating
element in it, the interior is all metal rather
than plastic. After using it for experiments,
I did heat up a few frozen things that I normally
wouldn't buy because they don't cook up well
any other way.

Then I put it away. That must have been at least
5 years ago. I get a lot more use out of my Ronco
rotissiere, which I've used once or maybe twice
this year. I got tired of chicken drumsticks after
using the Ronco every week or so for a couple years.
I certainly got my money's worth out of the Ronco.
The microwave hardly got any use. Microwaves can't
make any good food that can't be made better using
another method. They are mostly good for reheating
frozen food, which they do quickly, but what you
end up with is just reheated frozen food. I eat
very little of that. That's like canned food,
which I also don't eat much of.

The coffee-roasting experiments were a failure.
Coffee is one of the most demanding applications
of roasting. Every aspect of roasting is critical
to getting a high quality product. Microwaves are
probably the most uneven heat source, though I
haven't tried using a big lens and the Sun. The
appeal of microwave roasting is that it could be a
very convenient way to make fresh roasted coffee,
like microwave popcorn. But it is a flawed concept
because it combines a demanding application with
a poor-performing method.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/9/2011 1:53 PM, l, not -l wrote:
> On 9-Oct-2011, Brooklyn1<Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>>> This is probably my number two reason to use a microwave; reheating being
>>> first and cooking various kinds of fish being third.

>> You microwave fish... you must be Vietnamese or Eyetalian not to
>> notice the schtink. I once made the fatal error of reheating pizza
>> that had anchovy topping... oy vey.

> Niether; primarily English heritage, with a touch of German. I generally
> only eat mild white fish or salmon; when of good quality and cooked
> appropriately in the microwave, there is little or no smell - certainly no
> more than any other way of cooking them. Microwave cooking of fish is
> basically steaming or poaching, at least it is they way I do it.

The nuker has to be one of the best ways to "poach" fish. Especially
salmon, I use some lemon and a big sprig of dill and in minutes have a
great dish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gregz wrote:

> Got my first microwave in 1971. The main thing is heating up a cup of
> instant coffee. The other two main uses are cooking eggs and thawing out
> things or tv dinners.

That's pretty much the full range of microwave
cookery, if you don't count exploding grapes
and other "science" experiments.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 20:51:02 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

> I only use a microwave to warm stuff up.

I used to call mine "the world's most expensive teapot" because I
mainly heated water for tea in it.
--

Never commit yourself to a cheese without having first examined it.
T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" <> wrote > gregz wrote:

>> Got my first microwave in 1971. The main thing is heating up a cup of
>> instant coffee. The other two main uses are cooking eggs and thawing out
>> things or tv dinners.

> That's pretty much the full range of microwave
> cookery, if you don't count exploding grapes
> and other "science" experiments.

I make pralines, fudge, simple puddings and roux in the MW. Didn't know you
could explode grapes in one. Sounds like fun. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Much? No. I use it to reheat leftovers and boil water. I tried
melting chocolate in it once - complete disaster. Tried a rice pilaf
recipe once - pain in the rear - every two minutes, had to remove,
stir, etc.

You can save money by not buying stovetop stuffing and its ilk, btw.
Replicate your own for a lot less.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gregz > wrote:
> Got my first microwave in 1971. The main thing is heating up a cup of
> instant coffee. The other two main uses are cooking eggs and thawing out
> things or tv dinners.
>
> Greg

I should also add.

I cook ears of corn in my corning ware.

The microwave is also the greatest at bringing ice cream to that luscious
tasting creamy state. I count the seconds after turning on. 4 seconds at
least. Then I eat the ice cream with the fork, which also brings out the
flavor.

I used to like to put hoho's in the microwave when the wrappers were
aluminized, and watched the lightning.

I always wanted the combo turbo/ microwave when they came out in the early
80's.
That was $400-500 back then. Now that I have one, I don't use the turbo
because it's only good for baking and is too slow, and takes too long to
preheat. My little turbo has both radiant and turbo fan, and preheat in
less than two minutes. Of course that's one thing I would be sick without.
Trouble is, you can't buy them anymore, extinct.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 09:49:35 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 09/10/2011 1:03 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
>> I use it frequently.

>>> I got rid of my microwave years ago. Don't like them. I will use
>>> one once in a blue moon at work
>>> to warm up something, but only as a last resort.
>>>

>> I don't know why I replaced my old one when the timer/power switch
>> broke. I had rarely used it. I seldom use the new one. I think that the
>> last time I used it was about 4 months ago, and that was just to soften
>> some butter. Sure, it did a quick job of that, but it hardly justifies
>> the counter space it occupies.

> Microwave ovens are available in many sizes, if all you use it for is
> to reheat get a small one. I have a GE under cabinet style but I use
> it on the countertop, it's on the small side and occupies a very small
> corner footprint. A day doesn't pass that I don't use my microwave to
> reheat something but rarely use it to actually cook except a few times
> a season for corn on the cob (if you want to call that cooking). I've
> tried cooking with a microwave oven and it can do a pretty good job
> with certain foods but not for the amounts I typically cook. I find
> nuking a portion of stoup in the bowl I eat it from is far superior to
> dirtying a pot and having to watch it heat on the stove top. With a
> microwave it's easy to set the time and power level and it always
> signals so it's near impossible to burn something. And I don't think
> a day passes that I don't use my nuker to reheat my last half cup of
> coffee. I'd have a microwave oven on my counter way ahead of several
> other small kitchen appliances. I've been using my GE for over 25
> years and when it finally goes I intend to get another but a larger
> one, one with bit more head room to accomodate many of my covered
> casseroles without having to use the lid upside down.

I got a big one and a small one. The small one has 50% more power. Get your
facts straight. You mean low power.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 08:48:50 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>> >I've become a huge fan of Pastorio's methods. Almost all veggies now
>> >are steamed in the microwave in a covered corningware. It's been really
>> >handy since steaming is almost the only way I cook veggies any more.

>> That's not his method... people here (and everywhere) have been nuking
>> veggies for forever, from long before Pastorio ever arrived at RFC...
>> every bag of frozen veggies (and most frozen foods) has had microwave
>> cooking directions printed on the package for as long as I can
>> remember. Pastorio had no methods, he was the original keyboard
>> kook... he could out type folks is all, he was a driven obsessed
>> keyboarder... Pastorio was the most verbose know nothing usenet has
>> ever seen, before, during, and since.

>Still dancing on his grave are you luv?

You're the one dancing on his grave, I'm not who resurrected him, you
did just so you could kick up your heels again. Pastorio really
wasn't an asset to RFC, he had no culinary expertise nor was he
amusing or good natured, truth is he was a PIA blowhard, and nothing
said about his achievements after he passed were true, just myths
blown out of all proportion by his pitifully few worshippers.
Pasterio's only achievement at RFC was typing faster and longer than
anyone. If you want to elevate him to sainthood go right ahead but be
prepared to answer to the truth. Perhaps you should learn to leave
sleeping dogs lie. By periodically posting a reminder you do his
memory no good service... and in fact were Pastorio truly worth
remembering he wouldn't need you to periodically dance on his grave...
I honestly don't know what you saw in him, but as they say there's a
stick for every broom... you had to have had something going on with
him via email/phone.. perhaps yoose two visited behind his wife's
back... maybe you had something going with is wife too. Who knows,
it's just not normal to keep a dead stranger alive in your head as
though he were your own flesh and blood, but if you do keep it to
yourself lest others think you're truly nutso.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 14:41:57 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 09:49:35 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On 09/10/2011 1:03 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
>>> I use it frequently.

>>> I don't know why I replaced my old one when the timer/power switch
>>> broke. I had rarely used it. I seldom use the new one. I think that the
>>> last time I used it was about 4 months ago, and that was just to soften
>>> some butter. Sure, it did a quick job of that, but it hardly justifies
>>> the counter space it occupies.

>> Microwave ovens are available in many sizes, if all you use it for is
>> to reheat get a small one. I have a GE under cabinet style but I use
>> it on the countertop, it's on the small side and occupies a very small
>> corner footprint. A day doesn't pass that I don't use my microwave to
>> reheat something but rarely use it to actually cook except a few times
>> a season for corn on the cob (if you want to call that cooking). I've
>> tried cooking with a microwave oven and it can do a pretty good job
>> with certain foods but not for the amounts I typically cook. I find
>> nuking a portion of stoup in the bowl I eat it from is far superior to
>> dirtying a pot and having to watch it heat on the stove top. With a
>> microwave it's easy to set the time and power level and it always
>> signals so it's near impossible to burn something. And I don't think
>> a day passes that I don't use my nuker to reheat my last half cup of
>> coffee. I'd have a microwave oven on my counter way ahead of several
>> other small kitchen appliances. I've been using my GE for over 25
>> years and when it finally goes I intend to get another but a larger
>> one, one with bit more head room to accomodate many of my covered
>> casseroles without having to use the lid upside down.

>I got a big one and a small one.

I don't believe you.

>The small one has 50% more power. Get your
>facts straight. You mean low power.
>
>Greg

I didn't mention about power... I said I'd get a larger one with more
headroom... get off the drugs before you OD, not that your demise
would be any loss. I'm sure your own mother wishes she had fished you
out her chute with a coat hanger and flushed you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Many years ago I microwaved a tub of Egg Beaters in a screw top plastic
> container. It claimed "microwave safe." About 40 seconds later it popped
> it's top with a loud bang and scrambled egg went everywhere, like an
> instant egg paint job.

The problem with trying to make something
fool-proof is that fools are too clever.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 14:41:57 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
> wrote:
>
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>> On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 09:49:35 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> Microwave ovens are available in many sizes, if all you use it for is
>>> to reheat get a small one. I have a GE under cabinet style but I use
>>> it on the countertop, it's on the small side and occupies a very small
>>> corner footprint. A day doesn't pass that I don't use my microwave to
>>> reheat something but rarely use it to actually cook except a few times
>>> a season for corn on the cob (if you want to call that cooking). I've
>>> tried cooking with a microwave oven and it can do a pretty good job
>>> with certain foods but not for the amounts I typically cook. I find
>>> nuking a portion of stoup in the bowl I eat it from is far superior to
>>> dirtying a pot and having to watch it heat on the stove top. With a
>>> microwave it's easy to set the time and power level and it always
>>> signals so it's near impossible to burn something. And I don't think
>>> a day passes that I don't use my nuker to reheat my last half cup of
>>> coffee. I'd have a microwave oven on my counter way ahead of several
>>> other small kitchen appliances. I've been using my GE for over 25
>>> years and when it finally goes I intend to get another but a larger
>>> one, one with bit more head room to accomodate many of my covered
>>> casseroles without having to use the lid upside down.

>> I got a big one and a small one.

> I don't believe you.
>
>> The small one has 50% more power. Get your
>> facts straight. You mean low power.
>>
>> Greg

> I didn't mention about power... I said I'd get a larger one with more
> headroom... get off the drugs before you OD, not that your demise
> would be any loss. I'm sure your own mother wishes she had fished you
> out her chute with a coat hanger and flushed you.

I read a little too fast, like I sometimes do. It would also be very rare
for me to respond as YOU DO. Never.

I never had any low styles, although we had them at work, with the combo
turbo oven. Not rugged enough, many broke. I fixed one.

Microwaves do not change power. They only turn on and off. A magnetron only
works full bore. Just cycling.

I can appreciate the old fashioned mechanical timers. Just flick it, and
your done.
My Heath kit microwave was like that. I also modified a norelco from the
70's by replacing the failing controller with a mechanical control. My
father loved it.

My fancy sear turbo/ microwave I found odd, only set in 15 second
increments. I found out later, once the cycle begins, you can rotate the
dial to any second. It's great to add or subtract seconds on the fly when
you need to.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> sw wrote:
>
>>We did this about 3 weeks, Judy. Get a
>> life.

> May I suggest the same for you. FYI, I was not yet posting here at that
> time, and I'm certainly no mind reader. Besides, many of the same things
> have been discussed more than once, since I found this group, and nobody
> is forced to post in all threads, that they have no interest in.
>
> Judy

I use my microwave more and more. I routinely make roux, and bechamel sauce
in it, along with quite a lot of things. I can make soufflé without ever
putting anything on the top of the stove. Get Barbara Kafka's "Microwave
Gourmet". It's the best book I've seen on the basics of microwave cooking

Dumping on you as Swertz just did for not reading old threads about a
subject is really gross. It is the kind of thing that he excels at.

Kent,

in anticipation of Austin snot.

HEB does not sell dry aged beef!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 08:48:50 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>>> That's not his method... people here (and everywhere) have been nuking
>>> veggies for forever, from long before Pastorio ever arrived at RFC...
>>> every bag of frozen veggies (and most frozen foods) has had microwave
>>> cooking directions printed on the package for as long as I can
>>> remember. Pastorio had no methods, he was the original keyboard
>>> kook... he could out type folks is all, he was a driven obsessed
>>> keyboarder... Pastorio was the most verbose know nothing usenet has
>>> ever seen, before, during, and since.

>>Still dancing on his grave are you luv?

> You're the one dancing on his grave, I'm not who resurrected him, you
> did just so you could kick up your heels again. Pastorio really
> wasn't an asset to RFC, he had no culinary expertise nor was he
> amusing or good natured, truth is he was a PIA blowhard, and nothing
> said about his achievements after he passed were true, just myths
> blown out of all proportion by his pitifully few worshippers.
> Pasterio's only achievement at RFC was typing faster and longer than
> anyone. If you want to elevate him to sainthood go right ahead but be
> prepared to answer to the truth. Perhaps you should learn to leave
> sleeping dogs lie. By periodically posting a reminder you do his
> memory no good service... and in fact were Pastorio truly worth
> remembering he wouldn't need you to periodically dance on his grave...
> I honestly don't know what you saw in him, but as they say there's a
> stick for every broom... you had to have had something going on with
> him via email/phone.. perhaps yoose two visited behind his wife's
> back... maybe you had something going with is wife too. Who knows,
> it's just not normal to keep a dead stranger alive in your head as
> though he were your own flesh and blood, but if you do keep it to
> yourself lest others think you're truly nutso.

And, my Boy, how do think you sound?? At least you're entertaining.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 10, 2011 10:38:43 AM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> I honestly don't know what you saw in him, but as they say there's a
> stick for every broom... you had to have had something going on with
> him via email/phone.. perhaps yoose two visited behind his wife's
> back... maybe you had something going with is wife too. Who knows,
> it's just not normal to keep a dead stranger alive in your head as
> though he were your own flesh and blood, but if you do keep it to
> yourself lest others think you're truly nutso.

I got a good chuckle out of that.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...technology.jsp

> Greg

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan > wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:24:28 AM UTC-5, gregz wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>>> I don't believe you.

>>> I didn't mention about power... I said I'd get a larger one with more
>>> headroom... get off the drugs before you OD, not that your demise
>>> would be any loss. I'm sure your own mother wishes she had fished you
>>> out her chute with a coat hanger and flushed you.

>> I read a little too fast, like I sometimes do. It would also be very rare
>> for me to respond as YOU DO. Never.
>>
>> I never had any low styles, although we had them at work, with the combo
>> turbo oven. Not rugged enough, many broke. I fixed one.
>>
>> Microwaves do not change power. They only turn on and off. A magnetron only
>> works full bore. Just cycling.
>>

> http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...technology.jsp
>>
>> Greg

> --Bryan

That link did not direct. Something about inverters. My small panasonic
microwave is an inverter. Uses high frequency oscillations to get rid of
the heavy 60hz transformer. More parts but more efficient. Mine has held up
well. 1200 consumer watts. My large sears unit is only rated 800 watts.
It's nice though to have the two. When I reheat I use the lower power. High
power for tv dinners. 45 seconds for a hot cup of instant coffee.

Yes I eat tv dinners.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 09:49:33 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:24:28 AM UTC-5, gregz wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>> > I don't believe you.

>> > I didn't mention about power... I said I'd get a larger one with more
>> > headroom... get off the drugs before you OD, not that your demise
>> > would be any loss. I'm sure your own mother wishes she had fished you
>> > out her chute with a coat hanger and flushed you.

>> I read a little too fast, like I sometimes do. It would also be very rare
>> for me to respond as YOU DO. Never.
>>
>> I never had any low styles, although we had them at work, with the combo
>> turbo oven. Not rugged enough, many broke. I fixed one.
>>
>> Microwaves do not change power. They only turn on and off. A magnetron only
>> works full bore. Just cycling.

>http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...technology.jsp

I think GE used similar technology some 40 years ago.
My original GE was a huge affair with a programmable probe, it worked
very well for evenly cooking a roast or stew... this very even cooking
was prior to turntable types, had some sort of microwave stirrer
technology. The reason I got rid of it was that it took up too much
counter space and it weighed a ton (it's cavity was like 2 cu ft), I
wish they still made one with a probe that's a little smaller, beats
the heck out of crock pot/slow cookers. Of course today they make
combo microwave convection ovens.

damage microwave by cooking next to nothing john royce General Cooking 8 11-07-2009 07:31 PM
Microwave cooking Boyo Vegan 1 11-04-2007 12:05 AM
Cooking Corn (on the cob) in a microwave. James Silverton Recipes (moderated) 0 11-08-2006 11:18 PM
Microwave pressure cooking [email protected] General Cooking 1 17-11-2005 07:30 PM
Microwave Cooking Question Barry Brindisi General Cooking 50 20-10-2003 02:49 PM