Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Halupki and Halushki for all!

Score! My husband is a technician at a heavy truck garage and sometimes
grateful customers bestow gifts upon him. Last night he came home with a
huge head of cabbage, a giant tender eggplant, and half a dozen red and
yellow bell peppers.
I am off work today so I will be making halupki (cabbage rolls),
halushki (sauteed cabbage and noodles), and eggplant parm, which I will
then portion out and distribute to my parents, brothers, and in-laws. My
kids don't like Slovak food :-( and since my grandmom died, no one
really goes to the effort of making these dishes, but they sure love to
eat them!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

recipes please, Lee
"deja.blues" > wrote in message

> Score! My husband is a technician at a heavy truck garage and sometimes
> grateful customers bestow gifts upon him. Last night he came home with a
> huge head of cabbage, a giant tender eggplant, and half a dozen red and
> yellow bell peppers.
> I am off work today so I will be making halupki (cabbage rolls), halushki
> (sauteed cabbage and noodles), and eggplant parm, which I will then
> portion out and distribute to my parents, brothers, and in-laws. My kids
> don't like Slovak food :-( and since my grandmom died, no one really goes
> to the effort of making these dishes, but they sure love to eat them!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/4/2011 9:17 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> recipes please, Lee
> > wrote in message
>>
>> Score! My husband is a technician at a heavy truck garage and sometimes
>> grateful customers bestow gifts upon him. Last night he came home with a
>> huge head of cabbage, a giant tender eggplant, and half a dozen red and
>> yellow bell peppers.
>> I am off work today so I will be making halupki (cabbage rolls), halushki
>> (sauteed cabbage and noodles), and eggplant parm, which I will then
>> portion out and distribute to my parents, brothers, and in-laws. My kids
>> don't like Slovak food :-( and since my grandmom died, no one really goes
>> to the effort of making these dishes, but they sure love to eat them!

I don't measure anything when I make these dishes so I had to look them
up!

Halushki is super easy:

1 head cabbage, chopped
1 lg. onion, chopped
1/4 lb. butter
1 lb. cooked wide noodles
Salt & pepper

> Brown chopped onion in butter until lightly golden. Add chopped cabbage, salt and pepper to taste . Addhot drained noodles and cook through.

This recipe makes a lot, you may want to halve it.
I like the cabbage a little crisp, not too mushy. This dish has many
variations. Some people use bacon fat instead of butter.

Halupki are cabbage rolls filled with a ground beef and rice mixture
(about half meat and half rice), and again, I use only salt and pepper
as seasonings.

> 1 head cabbage
> 2 lbs. ground beef
> 2 onions, diced
> 1 c. uncooked rice
> 1 sm. can tomato soup
> 1 can water

Brown beef and onions in frying pan. Stir in rice. Salt and pepper to
taste. Boil cabbage until soft, drain and let cool a bit.
Remove one leaf of cabbage at a time, to make the cabbage rolls.. Slice
off the outer ribs of if the cabbage is tough and hard to roll.

Place a small handful of meat mixture at one edge of leaf. Fold leaf on
each side of meat mixture over meat. Roll up. Place cabbage and meat
roll, edge down,
in bottom of large casserole.
Continue until all cabbage or meat is used up, stacking rolls on top
of one another. Mix with tomato soup and water, pour over rolls. Bake at
350 degrees
for 1 hour or until rice is done. Cabbage rolls are also great done in a
slow cooker. Some use tomato sauce, but tomato soup is the flavor I'm
used to.
You may also adjust this recipe for the size of your family or cabbage!
Halupki freeze well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 10:03:07 -0400, "deja.blues"
> wrote:

> I don't measure anything when I make these dishes so I had to look them
> up!
>
> Halushki is super easy:
>
> 1 head cabbage, chopped
> 1 lg. onion, chopped
> 1/4 lb. butter
> 1 lb. cooked wide noodles
> Salt & pepper
>
> > Brown chopped onion in butter until lightly golden. Add chopped cabbage, salt and pepper to taste . Addhot drained noodles and cook through.

> This recipe makes a lot, you may want to halve it.
> I like the cabbage a little crisp, not too mushy. This dish has many
> variations. Some people use bacon fat instead of butter.

Thanks for that recipe! I was in Budapest last Spring and had their
version of it, whatever they call it, and loved it. I even bought a
package of the square noodles they use, but I haven't tried making it
yet. I need to get a move on now that Fall is here. Do you serve it
with pork or duck (or something else)?

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/4/2011 10:31 AM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 10:03:07 -0400, "deja.blues"
> > wrote:
>
>> I don't measure anything when I make these dishes so I had to look them
>> up!
>>
>> Halushki is super easy:
>>
>> 1 head cabbage, chopped
>> 1 lg. onion, chopped
>> 1/4 lb. butter
>> 1 lb. cooked wide noodles
>> Salt& pepper
>>
>>> Brown chopped onion in butter until lightly golden. Add chopped cabbage, salt and pepper to taste . Addhot drained noodles and cook through.

>> This recipe makes a lot, you may want to halve it.
>> I like the cabbage a little crisp, not too mushy. This dish has many
>> variations. Some people use bacon fat instead of butter.
>>

> Thanks for that recipe! I was in Budapest last Spring and had their
> version of it, whatever they call it, and loved it. I even bought a
> package of the square noodles they use, but I haven't tried making it
> yet. I need to get a move on now that Fall is here. Do you serve it
> with pork or duck (or something else)?

Sometimes with pork chops or sausage, but usually on it's own when I
want a meatless meal that's filling. It's popular during Lent,and even
more delicious with homemade egg noodles.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

thank you these weere new names to me, Lee
"deja.blues" > wrote in message
> On 10/4/2011 9:17 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> recipes please, Lee
>> > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Score! My husband is a technician at a heavy truck garage and sometimes
>>> grateful customers bestow gifts upon him. Last night he came home with a
>>> huge head of cabbage, a giant tender eggplant, and half a dozen red and
>>> yellow bell peppers.
>>> I am off work today so I will be making halupki (cabbage rolls),
>>> halushki
>>> (sauteed cabbage and noodles), and eggplant parm, which I will then
>>> portion out and distribute to my parents, brothers, and in-laws. My kids
>>> don't like Slovak food :-( and since my grandmom died, no one really
>>> goes
>>> to the effort of making these dishes, but they sure love to eat them!

> I don't measure anything when I make these dishes so I had to look them
> up!
>
> Halushki is super easy:
>
> 1 head cabbage, chopped
> 1 lg. onion, chopped
> 1/4 lb. butter
> 1 lb. cooked wide noodles
> Salt & pepper
>
>> Brown chopped onion in butter until lightly golden. Add chopped cabbage,
>> salt and pepper to taste . Addhot drained noodles and cook through.

> This recipe makes a lot, you may want to halve it.
> I like the cabbage a little crisp, not too mushy. This dish has many
> variations. Some people use bacon fat instead of butter.
>
> Halupki are cabbage rolls filled with a ground beef and rice mixture
> (about half meat and half rice), and again, I use only salt and pepper as
> seasonings.
>

>> 1 head cabbage
>> 2 lbs. ground beef
>> 2 onions, diced
>> 1 c. uncooked rice
>> 1 sm. can tomato soup
>> 1 can water

> Brown beef and onions in frying pan. Stir in rice. Salt and pepper to
> taste. Boil cabbage until soft, drain and let cool a bit.
> Remove one leaf of cabbage at a time, to make the cabbage rolls.. Slice
> off the outer ribs of if the cabbage is tough and hard to roll.
>
> Place a small handful of meat mixture at one edge of leaf. Fold leaf on
> each side of meat mixture over meat. Roll up. Place cabbage and meat roll,
> edge down,
> in bottom of large casserole.
> Continue until all cabbage or meat is used up, stacking rolls on top of
> one another. Mix with tomato soup and water, pour over rolls. Bake at 350
> degrees
> for 1 hour or until rice is done. Cabbage rolls are also great done in a
> slow cooker. Some use tomato sauce, but tomato soup is the flavor I'm used
> to.
> You may also adjust this recipe for the size of your family or cabbage!
> Halupki freeze well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 10:43:04 -0400, "deja.blues"
> wrote:

> On 10/4/2011 10:31 AM, sf wrote:
> > Do you serve it with pork or duck (or something else)?
> >

> Sometimes with pork chops or sausage, but usually on it's own when I
> want a meatless meal that's filling. It's popular during Lent,and even
> more delicious with homemade egg noodles.

Thanks!

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/4/2011 10:03 AM, deja.blues wrote:
> On 10/4/2011 9:17 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> recipes please, Lee
>> > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Score! My husband is a technician at a heavy truck garage and sometimes
>>> grateful customers bestow gifts upon him. Last night he came home with a
>>> huge head of cabbage, a giant tender eggplant, and half a dozen red and
>>> yellow bell peppers.
>>> I am off work today so I will be making halupki (cabbage rolls),
>>> halushki
>>> (sauteed cabbage and noodles), and eggplant parm, which I will then
>>> portion out and distribute to my parents, brothers, and in-laws. My kids
>>> don't like Slovak food :-( and since my grandmom died, no one really
>>> goes
>>> to the effort of making these dishes, but they sure love to eat them!

> I don't measure anything when I make these dishes so I had to look them up!
>
> Halushki is super easy:
>
> 1 head cabbage, chopped
> 1 lg. onion, chopped
> 1/4 lb. butter
> 1 lb. cooked wide noodles
> Salt & pepper

If you get a chance sometime try making it with kluski noodles:

http://www.meijer.com/s/mrs-weiss-en...&cmpid=goobase

I have also make it with home made noodles but that is a bit more work.

>> Brown chopped onion in butter until lightly golden. Add chopped
>> cabbage, salt and pepper to taste . Addhot drained noodles and cook
>> through.

> This recipe makes a lot, you may want to halve it.
> I like the cabbage a little crisp, not too mushy. This dish has many
> variations. Some people use bacon fat instead of butter.
>
> Halupki are cabbage rolls filled with a ground beef and rice mixture
> (about half meat and half rice), and again, I use only salt and pepper
> as seasonings.
>

>> 1 head cabbage
>> 2 lbs. ground beef
>> 2 onions, diced
>> 1 c. uncooked rice
>> 1 sm. can tomato soup
>> 1 can water

> Brown beef and onions in frying pan. Stir in rice. Salt and pepper to
> taste. Boil cabbage until soft, drain and let cool a bit.
> Remove one leaf of cabbage at a time, to make the cabbage rolls.. Slice
> off the outer ribs of if the cabbage is tough and hard to roll.
>
> Place a small handful of meat mixture at one edge of leaf. Fold leaf on
> each side of meat mixture over meat. Roll up. Place cabbage and meat
> roll, edge down,
> in bottom of large casserole.
> Continue until all cabbage or meat is used up, stacking rolls on top of
> one another. Mix with tomato soup and water, pour over rolls. Bake at
> 350 degrees
> for 1 hour or until rice is done. Cabbage rolls are also great done in a
> slow cooker. Some use tomato sauce, but tomato soup is the flavor I'm
> used to.
> You may also adjust this recipe for the size of your family or cabbage!
> Halupki freeze well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

talk about addiction, the right kluski is unbeatable, Lee