Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Any mushroom hunters here? REC wild mushroom ragout

This is one of my favorite mushroom dishes using the wonderful
chanterelles we get here. It's also great with morels or any wild
mushrooms.....even 'domestic' ones.

RAGOUT

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 shallot -- finely
chopped
2 cloves garlic -- minced
6 ounces chanterelle mushrooms --
halved
6 ounces oyster mushrooms -- halved
6 ounces shiitake mushrooms -- sliced
thick
salt and fresh ground pepper
1 cup chicken stock
2 large thyme sprigs

POLENTA

2 cups whole milk
2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup polenta
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
1/2 teaspoon rosemary -- finely chopped
1 /2 teaspoon thyme -- finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon parsley -- finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon marjoram -- finely chopped
1 tablespoon parmesan cheese -- grated
plus more shredded parm for serving
salt and pepper

MAKE THE RAGOUT
1. In deep skillet, melt half the butter and half the olive oil, add
half the shallots and garlic and all of the chanterelles and oyster
mushrooms and cook over med-high heat stirring occasionally till
softened and golden, about 6 minutes. Set aside.
2. Melt the remaning butter and olive oil , add the remaining
shallots and garlic and
the shitake mushrooms and cook over medium high heat till softened and
golden,
about 6 minutes.
3. Return all the mushrooms to the same skillet and season with salt
and pepper
and cook for one minute. Add the chicken stock and thyme and simmer
for 5 minutes.
Keep warm.

MAKE THE POLENTA
1. In a large saucepot, combine the milk, stock and butter and bring
to a boil.
2, Whisk in the polenta and cook over low heat stirring constantly
with a wooden spoon till very thick, about 8 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and stir in heavy cream, mascarpone, herbs and
parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.

Spoon the polenta on to plates and top with mushroom ragout, top with
shredded parmesan and sprig of herbs.

http://www.hizzoners.com/recipes/lun...ushroom-ragout

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 29, 1:25*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> [...]
> shallots and garlic and
> the shitake mushrooms and cook over medium high heat till softened and
> golden,
> about 6 minutes.
> 3. *Return all the mushrooms to the same skillet and season with salt
> and pepper
> and cook for one minute. *Add the chicken stock and thyme and simmer
> for 5 minutes.
> Keep warm.
>
> MAKE THE POLENTA
> 1. In a large saucepot, combine the milk, stock and butter and bring
> to a boil.
> 2, Whisk in the polenta and cook over low heat stirring constantly
> with a wooden spoon till very thick, about 8 minutes.
> 3. Remove from heat and stir in heavy cream, mascarpone, herbs and
> parmesan. *Season with salt and pepper.
>
> Spoon the polenta on to plates and top with mushroom ragout, top with

That sounds awesome- thanks! Do you ever go chantrelle hunting? I know
there are lots here in S. Puget sound area...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 29, 1:45*pm, merryb > wrote:

> That sounds awesome- thanks! Do you ever go chantrelle hunting? I know
> there are lots here in S. Puget sound area...- Hide quoted text -

We get some on our Kitsap County property.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 29, 1:45*pm, merryb > wrote:
> [...]

> > and pepper
> > and cook for one minute. *Add the chicken stock and thyme and simmer
> > for 5 minutes.
> > Keep warm.

> > MAKE THE POLENTA
> > 1. In a large saucepot, combine the milk, stock and butter and bring
> > to a boil.
> > 2, Whisk in the polenta and cook over low heat stirring constantly
> > with a wooden spoon till very thick, about 8 minutes.
> > 3. Remove from heat and stir in heavy cream, mascarpone, herbs and
> > parmesan. *Season with salt and pepper.

> > Spoon the polenta on to plates and top with mushroom ragout, top with
> > shredded parmesan and sprig of herbs.

> >http://www.hizzoners.com/recipes/lun...my-polenta-wit...

> That sounds awesome- thanks! Do you ever go chantrelle hunting? I know
> there are lots here in S. Puget sound area...- Hide quoted text -

I have in the past. Haven't lately. I have friends who are avid
hunters and have "their" spots.
I was in one of the local Asian markets this past weekend and she had
three case sized cardboard boxes FULL of chantrelles.
I bout died.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

> That sounds awesome- thanks! Do you ever go chantrelle hunting? I know
> there are lots here in S. Puget sound area...

Are those the bright yellow almost orange ones that are shaped like
oyster mushrooms?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 29, 3:13*pm, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
> merryb wrote:
>
> > That sounds awesome- thanks! Do you ever go chantrelle hunting? I know
> > there are lots here in S. Puget sound area...

> Are those the bright yellow almost orange ones that are shaped like
> oyster mushrooms?

Yes, at least about the color. I know that they do not have gills, but
ridges that go all the way down the stem...
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 29, 3:13*pm, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
> merryb wrote:
>
> > That sounds awesome- thanks! Do you ever go chantrelle hunting? I know
> > there are lots here in S. Puget sound area...

> Are those the bright yellow almost orange ones that are shaped like
> oyster mushrooms?

Yes, they look like these:

http://www.deepcovebc.com/unjimagesT...erellesbig.jpg

they are amazing tasting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 29, 3:57*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:

You can also use dried wild mushrooms for this recipe. I have done
that when fresh wild are not in season and are hard to get.
I used to buy the large containers of mixed wild dried mushrooms for
that dish. Just soak them in boiling water to rehydrate and then
saute as per the recipe.

It's hard to go wrong with any mushrooms in this recipe it's so good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 29, 2:07*pm, KevinS > wrote:
> On Sep 29, 1:45*pm, merryb > wrote:
>
> > That sounds awesome- thanks! Do you ever go chantrelle hunting? I know
> > there are lots here in S. Puget sound area...- Hide quoted text -

> We get some on our Kitsap County property.

Lucky you! Gig Harbor- you?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 29, 6:07*pm, merryb > wrote:

> On Sep 29, 2:07*pm, KevinS > wrote:

> > We get some on our Kitsap County property.

> Lucky you! Gig Harbor- you?

Seabeck.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" <> wrote .com...
On Sep 29, 3:57 pm, ImStillMags > wrote:

You can also use dried wild mushrooms for this recipe. I have done
that when fresh wild are not in season and are hard to get.
I used to buy the large containers of mixed wild dried mushrooms for
that dish. Just soak them in boiling water to rehydrate and then
saute as per the recipe.

It's hard to go wrong with any mushrooms in this recipe it's so good.

You mushroom lovers would have a happy time here on the bayou. All manner
of wild mushrooms springing up all over the place. Yesterday I noticed some
popping up in the empty flower pots. They are a bright yellow with pancake
looking tops, lots of white ones with freckles and even more that look like
loaves of bread that were baked a few minutes too long. We don't have a
clue which would be good to eat. We're told this was a fun spot in the 60's
for folks wanting to take a little trip. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 30, 7:01*am, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> "ImStillMags" <> wrote .com...
> On Sep 29, 3:57 pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
>
> You can also use dried wild mushrooms for this recipe. *I have done
> that when fresh wild are not in season and are hard to get.
> I used to buy the large containers of mixed wild dried mushrooms for
> that dish. * *Just soak them in boiling water to rehydrate and then
> saute as per the recipe.
>
> It's hard to go wrong with any mushrooms in this recipe it's so good.
>
> You mushroom lovers would have a happy time here on the bayou. *All manner
> of wild mushrooms springing up all over the place. *Yesterday I noticed some
> popping up in the empty flower pots. *They are a bright yellow with pancake
> looking tops, lots of white ones with freckles and even more that look like
> loaves of bread that were baked a few minutes too long. *We don't have a
> clue which would be good to eat. *We're told this was a fun spot in the 60's
> for folks wanting to take a little trip. *Polly

Be very careful if you decide to "sample" any of those, you might find
yourself along with Alice in Wonderland !!

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStillMags View Post
[...]

Honestly this is my very first time to hear about a Mushroom Ragout. After searching what it looks like in Google, I convince myself to make one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KevinS" > wrote in message
On Sep 29, 6:07 pm, merryb > wrote:

> On Sep 29, 2:07 pm, KevinS > wrote:

> > We get some on our Kitsap County property.

> Lucky you! Gig Harbor- you?

Seabeck.

Island county. we need more rain here