Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default White vs yellow peaches

Wow! I just had my first Donut Peach [aka Bagel, Saturn, Flattened,
etc]. Wikipedia says they became popular in the 1990s-- I guess
i haven't been paying attention. I asked the farmer at the stand
what the deal was with these little things and he said they taste just
like the white peaches, but are smaller and easier to eat without
getting a juice bath.

Well-- If that's what a white peach tastes like- they are some *SWEET*
peaches.

Seems like somebody was asking recently if it made a difference if
they used white or yellow peaches in a cobbler. If these little
guys are any indication, I'd say yes. Save the white ones for
eating and use the yellows for cooking.

Are all the white peaches very sweet?

These were less fuzzy than the ones I grow in the backyard. All I
know about the variety of mine is that they are yellow and freestone.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-08-17, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

> Are all the white peaches very sweet?

Almost all the "white" produce (corn, nectarines, peaches, etc) are
sweet or even extra-sweet and super-sweet hybrids. Hybrids going more
for sweet than flavor. Usually flavor is better for use in a
pie/cobbler. Better to have flavor and add sweet in the form of
sugar. Otherwise, I agree. Whites are great for eating raw or
topping breakfast cereal/oatmeal.

> These were less fuzzy than the ones I grow in the backyard.

I wondered about that, too. Is this a new harvesting process or have
they been genetically modified to have no fuzz?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/17/2011 6:56 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2011-08-17, Jim > wrote:
>
>> Are all the white peaches very sweet?

> Almost all the "white" produce (corn, nectarines, peaches, etc) are
> sweet or even extra-sweet and super-sweet hybrids. Hybrids going more
> for sweet than flavor. Usually flavor is better for use in a
> pie/cobbler. Better to have flavor and add sweet in the form of
> sugar. Otherwise, I agree. Whites are great for eating raw or
> topping breakfast cereal/oatmeal.
>
>> These were less fuzzy than the ones I grow in the backyard.

> I wondered about that, too. Is this a new harvesting process or have
> they been genetically modified to have no fuzz?
>
> nb

So far I've seen three varieties or colors of donut peaches at a local
farmer's market. They've all been good!

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-08-18, James Silverton > wrote:
> So far I've seen three varieties or colors of donut peaches at a local
> farmer's market. They've all been good!

Congratulations. You've just replied to a post that made absolutely
no mention of donut peaches. If you were trying to reply to the

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-08-18, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> Donut peaches are often white peaches. So it is related to the topic.
> Christine

Here we go!!

Yes! Jump in anywhere. Jes post any ol' thing, any ol' place,
regardless of who said what. Totally dismiss whatever I said. I'm
nobody. Post a reply to some guy eight posts back in a thread that
may have drifted 3 subjects away, by now. We'll all do our best to
muddle through, somehow, and make sense of whatever you say.

Usenetiquette rules be damned! Chris has spoken and given thread
chaos her blessing. Thank you, oh mighty Chris.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 Aug 2011 02:11:37 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> Usenetiquette rules be damned! Chris has spoken and given thread
> chaos her blessing. Thank you, oh mighty Chris.

Take a pill, nb. You're over the top.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2011-08-18, Christine Dabney > wrote:
>
>> Donut peaches are often white peaches. So it is related to the topic.
>> Christine

> Here we go!!
>
> Yes! Jump in anywhere. Jes post any ol' thing, any ol' place,
> regardless of who said what. Totally dismiss whatever I said. I'm
> nobody. Post a reply to some guy eight posts back in a thread that
> may have drifted 3 subjects away, by now. We'll all do our best to
> muddle through, somehow, and make sense of whatever you say.
>
> Usenetiquette rules be damned! Chris has spoken and given thread
> chaos her blessing. Thank you, oh mighty Chris.
>
> nb

What's wrong with you? You used to be a nice guy. If donut peaches (never
heard of them) are white peaches (never heard of or saw them, either) then
it's perfectly within the scope of the original thread. If not, consider it
"thread drift" and get over it. They're still talking about peaches.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leon Manfredi > wrote:

>On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 18:18:22 -0400, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>
>>Wow! I just had my first Donut Peach [aka Bagel, Saturn, Flattened,
>>etc]. Wikipedia says they became popular in the 1990s-- I guess
>>i haven't been paying attention.

-snip-

>Now I'm confused...... Nectarines, maybe?

Nope. They're peaches. I thought I was the last person to hear about
them- but apparently not.

Here's MotherEarth's take on them from 2009. The trees are hardy
enough for me to try some in zone 5.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-...nut-Peach.aspx

And here's what the nursery says about them
http://www.millernurseries.com/cart....t_detail&p=868

"Saturn is a new flat, donut shaped peach that is rapidly becoming the
most popular variety of peach available. All you have to do is bite
into one of these very sweet, white, delicious peaches to know why.
More sugar and less acid, Saturn has a more delicate and sweeter
flavor than yellow peaches. Tender, semi-red skin, Saturn is excellent
for out of hand eating. Delicious when canned, dried and used for
desserts. "

I can taste the dried ones now-- I don't really have room for a
standard tree-- but I'll be looking for a spot [on somebody's
property] to put one in next spring. they are yummy. [But I
wouldn't cook with them.]

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-08-18, jmcquown > wrote:

> What's wrong with you? You used to be a nice guy.

I know it's disconcerting when one of the guys forgets his place and
starts getting all uppity and challenges the B3hive. But, not to
worry. I'm still a nice guy and will continue to act nicely to those
who treat me nicely. Pretty simple concept, wouldn't you say.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2011-08-18, James Silverton > wrote:
> > So far I've seen three varieties or colors of donut peaches at a
> > local farmer's market. They've all been good!

> Congratulations. You've just replied to a post that made absolutely
> no mention of donut peaches. If you were trying to reply to the

A discussion on peaches, he brings up a generally whiter fleshed
variety called donut peaches.

http://tinyurl.com/3wotbqx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2011-08-18, Christine Dabney > wrote:
>
> > Donut peaches are often white peaches. So it is related to the
> > topic. Christine

> Here we go!!
>
> Yes! Jump in anywhere. Jes post any ol' thing, any ol' place,
> regardless of who said what. Totally dismiss whatever I said. I'm
> nobody. Post a reply to some guy eight posts back in a thread that
> may have drifted 3 subjects away, by now. We'll all do our best to
> muddle through, somehow, and make sense of whatever you say.
>
> Usenetiquette rules be damned! Chris has spoken and given thread
> chaos her blessing. Thank you, oh mighty Chris.

Usenet is a freeform social place for discussion. Threads morf all the
time. James only brought in a new version of peaches to it.

In fact, that verson is easier to peel and make peach jams and
chutney's of.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> If donut peaches
> (never heard of them) are white peaches (never heard of or saw them,
> either) then it's perfectly within the scope of the original thread.
> If not, consider it "thread drift" and get over it. They're still
> talking about peaches.

I posted a link to the pictures of them. The name comes from the shape
which is roughly like a donut. They sell them here sometimes and i get
them for making jams. The ones here are a bit firmer and the flesh is
more to the whiter scale (at least the ones I see here, not sure if
that's true of all of them). They are easier to peel and chop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/18/2011 10:23 AM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> If donut peaches
>> (never heard of them) are white peaches (never heard of or saw them,
>> either) then it's perfectly within the scope of the original thread.
>> If not, consider it "thread drift" and get over it. They're still
>> talking about peaches.

> I posted a link to the pictures of them. The name comes from the shape
> which is roughly like a donut. They sell them here sometimes and i get
> them for making jams. The ones here are a bit firmer and the flesh is
> more to the whiter scale (at least the ones I see here, not sure if
> that's true of all of them). They are easier to peel and chop.

As I mentioned, not all donut peaches are white. The really yellow ones
are pretty good too.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 Aug 2011 12:42:09 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2011-08-18, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> What's wrong with you? You used to be a nice guy.

>I know it's disconcerting when one of the guys forgets his place and
>starts getting all uppity and challenges the B3hive. But, not to
>worry. I'm still a nice guy and will continue to act nicely to those
>who treat me nicely. Pretty simple concept, wouldn't you say.

I've never seen anyone not treat you nicely unless you have a
meltdown.

BTW, you're having one now.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 10:28:47 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>On 8/18/2011 10:23 AM, cshenk wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

-snip-

>As I mentioned, not all donut peaches are white. The really yellow ones
>are pretty good too.

And does it follow that the yellow ones are more tart than the white
ones? I'd be torn then, on whether to get a white or yellow
for the backyard.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/18/2011 11:42 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 10:28:47 -0400, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>
>> On 8/18/2011 10:23 AM, cshenk wrote:
>>> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> -snip-
>
>> As I mentioned, not all donut peaches are white. The really yellow ones
>> are pretty good too.

> And does it follow that the yellow ones are more tart than the white
> ones? I'd be torn then, on whether to get a white or yellow
> for the backyard.
>
> Jim

Now you've got me. I've only had the various donut peaches from a local
Farmers' Market and I bought only one variety at a time. The peaches
were not completely ripe and I had to wait a few days to eat them.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 05:34:03 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> "notbob" > wrote in message
> > On 2011-08-18, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> >
> >> Donut peaches are often white peaches. So it is related to the topic.
> >> Christine

> > Here we go!!
> >
> > Yes! Jump in anywhere. Jes post any ol' thing, any ol' place,
> > regardless of who said what. Totally dismiss whatever I said. I'm
> > nobody. Post a reply to some guy eight posts back in a thread that
> > may have drifted 3 subjects away, by now. We'll all do our best to
> > muddle through, somehow, and make sense of whatever you say.
> >
> > Usenetiquette rules be damned! Chris has spoken and given thread
> > chaos her blessing. Thank you, oh mighty Chris.
> >
> > nb

> What's wrong with you? You used to be a nice guy. If donut peaches (never
> heard of them) are white peaches (never heard of or saw them, either) then
> it's perfectly within the scope of the original thread. If not, consider it
> "thread drift" and get over it. They're still talking about peaches.

You forget Jill, he's right and everyone else is wrong.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 11:42:57 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 10:28:47 -0400, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>
> >On 8/18/2011 10:23 AM, cshenk wrote:
> >> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> -snip-
>
> >As I mentioned, not all donut peaches are white. The really yellow ones
> >are pretty good too.

> And does it follow that the yellow ones are more tart than the white
> ones? I'd be torn then, on whether to get a white or yellow
> for the backyard.

I pretty much don't eat white peaches except to remind myself why I
don't eat them. They don't taste like peaches, they're just sweet. I
prefer the peachy flavor of yellow peaches.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 8/18/2011 10:23 AM, cshenk wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> > > If donut peaches
> > > (never heard of them) are white peaches (never heard of or saw
> > > them, either) then it's perfectly within the scope of the
> > > original thread. If not, consider it "thread drift" and get over
> > > it. They're still talking about peaches.

> > I posted a link to the pictures of them. The name comes from the
> > shape which is roughly like a donut. They sell them here sometimes
> > and i get them for making jams. The ones here are a bit firmer and
> > the flesh is more to the whiter scale (at least the ones I see
> > here, not sure if that's true of all of them). They are easier to
> > peel and chop.
> >

> As I mentioned, not all donut peaches are white. The really yellow
> ones are pretty good too.

Ok! I seem to get the mostly white sort here. Local crop I suspect.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Wow! I just had my first Donut Peach [aka Bagel, Saturn, Flattened,
>etc]. Wikipedia says they became popular in the 1990s-- I guess
>i haven't been paying attention. I asked the farmer at the stand
>what the deal was with these little things and he said they taste just
>like the white peaches, but are smaller and easier to eat without
>getting a juice bath.
>
>Well-- If that's what a white peach tastes like- they are some *SWEET*
>peaches.
>
>Seems like somebody was asking recently if it made a difference if
>they used white or yellow peaches in a cobbler. If these little
>guys are any indication, I'd say yes. Save the white ones for
>eating and use the yellows for cooking.
>
>Are all the white peaches very sweet?
>
>These were less fuzzy than the ones I grow in the backyard. All I
>know about the variety of mine is that they are yellow and freestone.

Must be more than one variety of white peach.
My DIL's father has a white peach tree that bears profusely. The fruit
from it are, without a doubt, the most bland, tasteless peach I've
ever tried.

Ross.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 18, 10:25*am, sf > wrote:
> I pretty much don't eat white peaches except to remind myself why I
> don't eat them. *They don't taste like peaches, they're just sweet. *I
> prefer the peachy flavor of yellow peaches.

Yes! I do agree with yellows being far more peach-flavorful. Those
are abundant at my grocer right now and eat at least one of them each
day. I wish I were into canning and jams like me moms was. When I
was just big enough to be at table top eye level, Daddy built us a
"canning table" to set on the back lawn (under the clothes lines)
where the uncles and aunts were stationed as the prep squad when Mom
and Gramma were canning and jamming. Such happy, happy memories of
family, most all of which have gone on to next by now.
....Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> I wondered about that, too. Is this a new harvesting process or have
> they been genetically modified to have no fuzz?

There are white nectarines too. Maybe that's what
you had.

Both white peaches and nectarines are scarce in some
parts because they don't ship well. They bruise easily.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ross@home wrote:

> Must be more than one variety of white peach.
> My DIL's father has a white peach tree that bears profusely. The
> fruit
> from it are, without a doubt, the most bland, tasteless peach I've
> ever tried.
>
> Ross.

I always found white peaches pretty tasteless until a week or so ago,
when I tried one (no fuzz and freestone) and it was sweet and
delicious. Someone has done something right.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-08-18, Mark Thorson > wrote:

> There are white nectarines too. Maybe that's what
> you had.

Maybe you should read the post.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 18, 5:29*pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2011-08-18, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
> > There are white nectarines too. *Maybe that's what
> > you had.

> Maybe you should read the post. *

***Hey snot.bob, maybe you should be a bit more civil!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 17, 6:18*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> Wow! * I just had my first Donut Peach [aka Bagel, Saturn, Flattened,
> etc]. * * * Wikipedia says they became popular in the 1990s-- I guess
> i haven't been paying attention. * * *I asked the farmer at the stand
> what the deal was with these little things and he said they taste just
> like the white peaches, but are smaller and easier to eat without
> getting a juice bath.
>
> Well-- If that's what a white peach tastes like- they are some *SWEET*
> peaches.
>
> Seems like somebody was asking recently if it made a difference if
> they used white or yellow peaches in a cobbler. * * If these little
> guys are any indication, I'd say yes. * * Save the white ones for
> eating and use the yellows for cooking.
>
> Are all the white peaches very sweet? *
>
> These were less fuzzy than the ones I grow in the backyard. * All I
> know about the variety of mine is that they are yellow and freestone.
>
> Jim

I never knew there were any such thing as white peaches. I've never
seen them.

Lucille
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 19, 8:12*am, Lucille > wrote:
> On Aug 17, 6:18*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>

> > Wow! * I just had my first Donut Peach [aka Bagel, Saturn, Flattened,
> > etc]. * * * Wikipedia says they became popular in the 1990s-- I guess
> > i haven't been paying attention. * * *I asked the farmer at the stand
> > what the deal was with these little things and he said they taste just
> > like the white peaches, but are smaller and easier to eat without
> > getting a juice bath.

> > Well-- If that's what a white peach tastes like- they are some *SWEET*
> > peaches.

> > Seems like somebody was asking recently if it made a difference if
> > they used white or yellow peaches in a cobbler. * * If these little
> > guys are any indication, I'd say yes. * * Save the white ones for
> > eating and use the yellows for cooking.

> > Are all the white peaches very sweet? *

> > These were less fuzzy than the ones I grow in the backyard. * All I
> > know about the variety of mine is that they are yellow and freestone.

> > Jim

> I never knew there were any such thing as white peaches. *I've never
> seen them.
>
> * * * * * * * *Lucille- Hide quoted text -

I forgot to ask........ does anyone know why some yellow peaches are
dry and gritty?
I've even had some that were nice and juicy with parts of it dry and
gritty.
That part taste terrible.

Lucille

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lucille wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Aug 17, 6:18*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> > Wow! * I just had my first Donut Peach [aka Bagel, Saturn,
> > Flattened, etc]. * * * Wikipedia says they became popular in the
> > 1990s-- I guess i haven't been paying attention. * * *I asked the
> > farmer at the stand what the deal was with these little things and
> > he said they taste just like the white peaches, but are smaller and
> > easier to eat without getting a juice bath.
> >
> > Well-- If that's what a white peach tastes like- they are some SWEET
> > peaches.
> >
> > Seems like somebody was asking recently if it made a difference if
> > they used white or yellow peaches in a cobbler. * * If these little
> > guys are any indication, I'd say yes. * * Save the white ones for
> > eating and use the yellows for cooking.
> >
> > Are all the white peaches very sweet? *
> >
> > These were less fuzzy than the ones I grow in the backyard. * All I
> > know about the variety of mine is that they are yellow and
> > freestone.
> >
> > Jim

> I never knew there were any such thing as white peaches. I've never
> seen them.

The flesh is a paler creamy color (I've not seen true white) and the
outsides often don't look any different. Lots of types of them though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lucille wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Aug 19, 8:12*am, Lucille > wrote:
> > On Aug 17, 6:18*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> >

> > > Wow! * I just had my first Donut Peach [aka Bagel, Saturn,
> > > Flattened, etc]. * * * Wikipedia says they became popular in the
> > > 1990s-- I guess i haven't been paying attention. * * *I asked the
> > > farmer at the stand what the deal was with these little things
> > > and he said they taste just like the white peaches, but are
> > > smaller and easier to eat without getting a juice bath.

> > > Well-- If that's what a white peach tastes like- they are some
> > > SWEET peaches.

> > > Seems like somebody was asking recently if it made a difference if
> > > they used white or yellow peaches in a cobbler. * * If these
> > > little guys are any indication, I'd say yes. * * Save the white
> > > ones for eating and use the yellows for cooking.

> > > Are all the white peaches very sweet? *

> > > These were less fuzzy than the ones I grow in the backyard. * All
> > > I know about the variety of mine is that they are yellow and
> > > freestone.

> > > Jim

> > I never knew there were any such thing as white peaches. *I've never
> > seen them.
> >
> > * * * * * * * *Lucille- Hide quoted text -

> I forgot to ask........ does anyone know why some yellow peaches are
> dry and gritty?
> I've even had some that were nice and juicy with parts of it dry and
> gritty.
> That part taste terrible.

I know under ripe ones can be like that. Select softer ones to avoid
that. That or ripen on the counter for a few days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lucille" > wrote

> I forgot to ask........ does anyone know why some yellow peaches are
> dry and gritty?
> I've even had some that were nice and juicy with parts of it dry and
> gritty.
> That part taste terrible.
>
> Lucille

If they are chilled during the ripening process that can happen. You don't
want to take them below 50 degrees. There may be other factors

Buying peaches these days is a crap shoot. I rarely buy them in the
supermarket for that reason; I've had good looking crappy tasting ones too
often. Local peaches picked ripe are better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton > wrote:

>On 8/18/2011 11:42 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 10:28:47 -0400, James Silverton
>> > wrote:

>> -snip-
>>
>>> As I mentioned, not all donut peaches are white. The really yellow ones
>>> are pretty good too.

>> And does it follow that the yellow ones are more tart than the white
>> ones? I'd be torn then, on whether to get a white or yellow
>> for the backyard.
>>
>> Jim

>Now you've got me. I've only had the various donut peaches from a local
>Farmers' Market and I bought only one variety at a time. The peaches
>were not completely ripe and I had to wait a few days to eat them.

Then the difference wasn't as dramatic as my yellow whatevers- and the
white donut peach. I like both-- but I think the yellows are
more versatile.

I've got until February or so to look into it-- and from what I've
seen so far, the NY nurseries only have white, so maybe the yellows
aren't hardy up here.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

snipped

> I've got until February or so to look into it-- and from what I've
> seen so far, the NY nurseries only have white, so maybe the yellows
> aren't hardy up here.

Depends on where you are in NYS. The area between Oswego and Rochester
had numerous peach orchards when I was growing up. Additionally, the
microclimates around the Finger Lakes that allow vinifera grapes to be
grown would support peaches. I'd strongly suggest getting more than one
tree, based on my experience with the apricot tree on the back 40 of our
yard. The trees may not be self-pollinating.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2011 11:25 AM, Cindy Fuller wrote:
> In >,
> Jim > wrote:
>
> snipped
>>
>> I've got until February or so to look into it-- and from what I've
>> seen so far, the NY nurseries only have white, so maybe the yellows
>> aren't hardy up here.
>>

> Depends on where you are in NYS. The area between Oswego and Rochester
> had numerous peach orchards when I was growing up. Additionally, the
> microclimates around the Finger Lakes that allow vinifera grapes to be
> grown would support peaches. I'd strongly suggest getting more than one
> tree, based on my experience with the apricot tree on the back 40 of our
> yard. The trees may not be self-pollinating.

I think donut peaches are self-pollinating but a lot of the information
on the 'net is incomplete. It is often assumed that there is only one
(white) variety. A local farmers' market had three types two days ago:
green, red-blushed and yellow. None were fully ripe but there was a
beautiful odor from my fruit bowl this morning where the yellow ones had
ripened. The one I had was great!

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 08:25:36 -0700, Cindy Fuller
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>
>snipped
>>
>> I've got until February or so to look into it-- and from what I've
>> seen so far, the NY nurseries only have white, so maybe the yellows
>> aren't hardy up here.
>>

>Depends on where you are in NYS. The area between Oswego and Rochester
>had numerous peach orchards when I was growing up. Additionally, the
>microclimates around the Finger Lakes that allow vinifera grapes to be
>grown would support peaches. I'd strongly suggest getting more than one
>tree, based on my experience with the apricot tree on the back 40 of our
>yard. The trees may not be self-pollinating.

I meant the donut varieties-- but I've got plenty of time to look.

I'm near where the Mohawk hits the Hudson & have a single peach tree
[yellow] in my back yard. The other half of the pair got murdered by
rabbits before it bore fruit-- and that year the one I had left had a
bumper crop so I never replaced the other one. Might just be this
[forgotten] variety- but it seems to like living alone.

There are a couple of local peach orchards - I should probably go to
one of them and pick their brains a bit.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/08/2011 6:12 PM, Ranee at Arabian Knits wrote:

> Yes, which is part of why I don't care for them as much. They are
> less full of flavor and more full of sugar. White cranberries,
> nectarines and other produce seem the same to me. Something about
> breeding the color out seems to take the flavor with it.

Add Queen Anne cherries to the list. IMO they lack that nice sweet
cherry taste.

White Peaches Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 35 25-08-2015 09:58 PM
white peaches sf[_9_] General Cooking 22 18-08-2010 05:12 PM
White Nectarines & Peaches??? Lynn from Fargo General Cooking 11 28-08-2008 08:12 PM
Summertime White Peaches Clay Irving General Cooking 5 07-07-2008 08:02 AM
White wine with peaches? [email protected] Wine 8 26-08-2005 05:08 PM