Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chemo, Where's That Rabbit Recipe?

Hey Chemo, I've got my new air rifle sighted in and pluckin' the
bunnies tearing up my garden ~ so let's see if you can come up with
something original that tastes worth a hoot...And for God Sake Chemo,
please don't give me a "douche-vid" preparation!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

nurk_fred2000 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Hey Chemo, I've got my new air rifle sighted in and pluckin' the
> bunnies tearing up my garden ~ so let's see if you can come up with
> something original that tastes worth a hoot...And for God Sake Chemo,
> please don't give me a "douche-vid" preparation!

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Herb Roasted Rabbit and Potatoes
Categories: Cyberealm, Wild game
Yield: 6 Servings

4 lb Rabbit [cut into 8 pieces,
Rinsed & patted dry]
8 md Red potatoes [quartered]
24 lg Cloves garlic
6 tb Olive oil
4 oz Slab bacon, [rind removed
& cut into 1" cubes]
6 tb Fresh rosemary leaves OR
2 tb Dried rosemary
2 ts Coarsely ground black pepper
Coarse salt, to taste
(optional)
6 Sprigs rosemary, for garnish

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees 2. Place the potatoes and garlic
cloves in a large shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of
the olive oil, and toss to coat. Bake for 30 minutes.
3. While the potatoes and garlic are roasting, combine the bacon
and 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet, and place over low
heat. Cook just until the bacon begins to wilt. Then remove the bacon
with a slotted spoon, and set it aside.
4. Saute the rabbit, in batches if necessary, in the skillet,
setting the pieces aside as they are browned. Reserve 2 tablespoons
of the pan drippings.
5. Remove the roasting pan from the oven, and reduce the heat to 350
degrees.
6. Add the rabbit, rosemary, pepper, coarse salt, reserved pan
drippings, and remaining 3 tablespoons oil to the roasting pan with
the potatoes and garlic. Toss thoroughly, and return the pan to the
oven. Bake for 20 minutes.
7. Sprinkle the reserved bacon over the top, and bake until the
meat is tender and the vegetables are golden, another 20 minutes.
8. Arrange the mixture on a warmed platter, and garnish with the
rosemary sprigs.

Source: found floating in Cyberspace and formatted to MM format by
Fred Goslin in Watertown NY on Cyberealm Bbs home of KookNet @ (315)
786-1120

From Gemini's MASSIVE MealMaster collection at www.synapse.com/~gemini

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Alphonse's Brunswick Stew
Categories: Maincourses
Yield: 1 Servings

1 4 pound chicken; poached
1 2 pound rabbit; quartered
1 Virginia ham bone
2 c Onion; sliced
2 c Celery; chopped
1 c Carrots
2 c Cabbage; sliced
Garlic
Marjoram
2 Bay leaves
1 ds Cayenne; optional
3 lb Tomatoes with juice; chopped
1 lb Lima beans
1 1/2 lb Potatoes; chopped
4 c Corn
Salt and pepper
Parsley; optional

Here in the South, Brunswick stew and/or Burgoo have long been
traditionally served alongside barbeque. Since it's been so cold here
on the east coast this past week, I thought I'd share some Brunswick
Stew and Burgoo recipes from the Bubba-L archives to pass the time.
Y'all enjoy--they're good!

As a fellow Southron "shivering" in this inhospitable Northern
iceland (why go to Reyjavik when you can have it all here?), I want
to pass on to you one of my Brunswick Stew recipe to fortify you
before grading student papers, prepare lectures, and such. Starting
way in advance, poach one 4 lb chicken. Then add a 2 lb rabbit that's
been quartered (if you don't find any in your backyard by all means
substitute veal) and put on high heat and then simmer with the
chicken with additional water to cover. You should add the rabbit
some 35 minutes after having poached the chicken. When done, drain,
reserve the stock and cool the meats on a platter. Once the meats are
cool enough to touch with your fingers, bone the chicken and the
rabbit and chop into bite-size pieces. Return the chicken and rabbit
morsels into the stockpot and add a Virginia ham bone (if you got
one) along with 2 cups of sliced onions, 2 cups of chopped celery, 1
cup carrots, and 2 cups of sliced cabbage. Add garlic, marjoram, 2
bay leaves, and a little dash of cayenne (optional). Stir in 2-3 lbs
of chopped tomatoes with juice, bring to a boil, then simmer for 25
minutes. Add 1 lb of lima beans, 1 1/2 lbs chopped potatoes, and 4
cups of corn. Bring to a boil again and then simmer, stir the pot a
bit to prevent burning. This will take another hour. Season with salt
and black pepper. An option is to sprinkle finely chopped parsley
into the pot. You can serve this on a bed of rice, or with biscuit,
or, as I like to do, with fresh baguettes. A nicely tossed salad with
vinaigrette dressing would be a nice accompaniment to your stew.
Choose a good, full-bodied red wine to serve with your stew and you
and your guests can tell winter to do its worst. Recipe By
: Alphonse Vinh

Posted to bbq-digest V4 #43

Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 08:21:01 -0800 (PST)

From: Tom Solomon >

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Chef's Rabbit
Categories: Meats, Misc
Yield: 2 Servings

1 Rabbit -or-
2 Pheasants (cut in pieces)
Salt and white pepper
Flour
6 Bacon slices, cut into lg
Squares
1 Onion, chopped fine
8 Extra large mushrooms, whole
Or quartered
6 oz Beef stock
1 c Sour cream

Season meat with salt and white pepper and dredge with flour. In hot
skillet, cook bacon pieces about half way. Add rabbit and/or pheasant
and brown on both sides. Add onions and saute with meat. Add
mushrooms. Pour beef stock over all and put in preheated oven at 450
degrees for 30 minutes, or until meat is done. Take meat out. Whip
sour cream into remaining pan juices and pour over meat.

Source: N.A.H.C. Wild Game Cookbook Author: Scott Ekenberg,
Bloomington MN

From Gemini's MASSIVE MealMaster collection at www.synapse.com/~gemini

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: German-Style Hasenpfeffer
Categories: Meats, Misc
Yield: 4 Servings

1 Rabbit, cut into pieces
2 tb Vegetable oil
1 Bay leaf, crumbled
1 Garlic clove, chopped
1 Spice clove
2 tb Bacon, diced
2 Small carrots, chopped
Mushrooms, optional
1/2 c Vinegar
1 1/2 c Water
1 c Sour cream or evap. milk

Heat vegetable oil in cauce pan. When hot, add leaf, garlic clove,
spice clove, bacon, carrots and mushrooms. Add rabbit and simmer
until browned.
Pour solution of 1/2 cup vinegar, mixed with 1 to 1-1/2 cups water
over meat. Cover pan and simmer until tender. Before removing pan
from heat, add cream or evaporated milk. Serve hot with dumplings or
large noodles.

Source: N.A.H.C. Wild Game Cookbook Author: C. Johnson, Victoria MN

From Gemini's MASSIVE MealMaster collection at www.synapse.com/~gemini

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Mexican Rabbit
Categories: Mexican
Yield: 6 Servings

1 Rabbit, disjointed
2 c Corn
1 ts Parsley
10 oz Can tomatoes
1 ts Rosemary
1 c Minced black olives
1 ts Thyme
2 ts Chili powder
1 Bay leaf
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Peppercorns
2 c Yellow cornmeal
1 Garlic clove, minced
1 Egg yolk
1/2 c Minced shallots

Place the rabbit, parsley, rosemary, thyme, bay leaf, and peppercorns
in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil
and simmer for 30 minutes or until rabbit is tender. Drain rabbit and
reserve 1 cup liquid. Remove rabbit from bones. Saute the garlic and
shallots in small amount of fat in a skillet until tender, then add
the rabbit, corn, tomatoes, olives, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
Simmer for 20 minutes.

Combine the cornmeal and egg yolk. Strain the reserved liquid, add to
cornmeal mixture and mix well. Stir into the rabbit mixture and spoon
into a greased casserole. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes or until
set. 6 servings.

MMMMM