Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chocolate-Chipotle Brownies-OMG!!

I purchased a couple (at $3 each) from the local organic farmers market.
They were so wonderful that I sought out a recipe to recreate them. This
is the recipe from BHG which produced identical AMAZING tasting
brownies. The best I've ever made. My only alterations were to use only
1 tsp of the cinnamon, to use 1.5 tsp chipotle powder, and I baked them
on parchment paper instead of foil for 45 minutes as they are so thick
and I prefer my brownies drier. This recipe is a keeper for sure!

Chocolate-Chipotle Brownies

* Nonstick cooking spray
* 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
* 1 cup butter
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
* 2-1/2 cups sugar
* 1 tablespoon instant espresso coffee powder
* 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (*note I used 1 tsp)
* 1 to 2 teaspoons ground chipotle powder (*note I used 1.5 tsp)
* 6 eggs
* 2 teaspoons vanilla
* Unsweetened cocoa powder

directions

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with
foil, extending the foil over the edges of the pan. Lightly coat foil
with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine
chocolate and butter. Cook and stir over low heat until melted and
smooth. Cool slightly. In a small bowl, combine flour and cocoa powder;
set aside.

2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, espresso coffee powder, cinnamon, and
chipotle powder. Add chocolate mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on
medium speed for 1 minute, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Add eggs,
one at a time, beating on low speed after each addition just until
combined. Beat in vanilla just until combined. Add flour mixture, 1/2
cup at a time, beating on low speed just until combined. Beat on medium
speed for 1 minute more. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.

3. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes (*note I baked 45 min) or
until edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan. Cool in pan on
a wire rack. Using the edges of the foil, lift the uncut brownies out of
the pan. Sprinkle with unsweetened cocoa powder. Cut into bars. Makes 32
bars.

To Sto Layer bars between waxed paper in an airtight container;
cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3
months.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 22, 8:41*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> I purchased a couple (at $3 each) from the local organic farmers market.
> They were so wonderful that I sought out a recipe to recreate them. This
> is the recipe from BHG which produced identical AMAZING tasting
> brownies. The best I've ever made. My only alterations were to use only
> 1 tsp of the cinnamon, to use 1.5 tsp chipotle powder, and I baked them
> on parchment paper instead of foil for 45 minutes as they are so thick
> and I prefer my brownies drier. This recipe is a keeper for sure!
>
> Chocolate-Chipotle Brownies
>
> * * ** Nonstick cooking spray
> * * ** 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
> * * ** 1 cup butter
> * * ** 2 cups all-purpose flour
> * * ** 1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
> * * ** 2-1/2 cups sugar
> * * ** 1 tablespoon instant espresso coffee powder
> * * ** 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (*note I used 1 tsp)
> * * ** 1 to 2 teaspoons ground chipotle powder (*note I used 1.5 tsp)
> * * ** 6 eggs
> * * ** 2 teaspoons vanilla
> * * ** Unsweetened cocoa powder
>
> directions
>
> 1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with
> foil, extending the foil over the edges of the pan. Lightly coat foil
> with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine
> chocolate and butter. Cook and stir over low heat until melted and
> smooth. Cool slightly. In a small bowl, combine flour and cocoa powder;
> set aside.
>
> 2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, espresso coffee powder, cinnamon, and
> chipotle powder. Add chocolate mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on
> medium speed for 1 minute, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Add eggs,
> one at a time, beating on low speed after each addition just until
> combined. Beat in vanilla just until combined. Add flour mixture, 1/2
> cup at a time, beating on low speed just until combined. Beat on medium
> speed for 1 minute more. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
>
> 3. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes (*note I baked 45 min) or
> until edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan. Cool in pan on
> a wire rack. Using the edges of the foil, lift the uncut brownies out of
> the pan. Sprinkle with unsweetened cocoa powder. Cut into bars. Makes 32
> bars.
>
> To Sto Layer bars between waxed paper in an airtight container;
> cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3
> months.

Copied the recipe, thanks! Dunno if I'll ever make it, but... May use
the idea of coffee, cinnamon and chipotle to make truffles!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> I purchased a couple (at $3 each) from the local organic farmers market.
> They were so wonderful that I sought out a recipe to recreate them. This
> is the recipe from BHG which produced identical AMAZING tasting
> brownies. The best I've ever made. My only alterations were to use only
> 1 tsp of the cinnamon, to use 1.5 tsp chipotle powder, and I baked them
> on parchment paper instead of foil for 45 minutes as they are so thick
> and I prefer my brownies drier. This recipe is a keeper for sure!
>
> Chocolate-Chipotle Brownies
>

> * Nonstick cooking spray
> * 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
> * 1 cup butter
> * 2 cups all-purpose flour
> * 1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
> * 2-1/2 cups sugar
> * 1 tablespoon instant espresso coffee powder
> * 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (*note I used 1 tsp)
> * 1 to 2 teaspoons ground chipotle powder (*note I used 1.5 tsp)
> * 6 eggs
> * 2 teaspoons vanilla
> * Unsweetened cocoa powder
>
> directions
>
> 1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with
> foil, extending the foil over the edges of the pan. Lightly coat foil
> with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine
> chocolate and butter. Cook and stir over low heat until melted and
> smooth. Cool slightly. In a small bowl, combine flour and cocoa powder;
> set aside.
>
> 2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, espresso coffee powder, cinnamon, and
> chipotle powder. Add chocolate mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on
> medium speed for 1 minute, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Add eggs,
> one at a time, beating on low speed after each addition just until
> combined. Beat in vanilla just until combined. Add flour mixture, 1/2
> cup at a time, beating on low speed just until combined. Beat on medium
> speed for 1 minute more. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
>
> 3. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes (*note I baked 45 min) or
> until edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan. Cool in pan on
> a wire rack. Using the edges of the foil, lift the uncut brownies out of
> the pan. Sprinkle with unsweetened cocoa powder. Cut into bars. Makes 32
> bars.
>
> To Sto Layer bars between waxed paper in an airtight container;
> cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3
> months.

Mmmm. I'm going to have to make these someday. Thanks!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 19:36:08 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

> Copied the recipe, thanks! Dunno if I'll ever make it, but... May use
> the idea of coffee, cinnamon and chipotle to make truffles!

Those combinations have never appealed to me. Please make it and
report back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 21:41:11 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

>I purchased a couple (at $3 each) from the local organic farmers market.
>They were so wonderful that I sought out a recipe to recreate them. This
>is the recipe from BHG which produced identical AMAZING tasting
>brownies. The best I've ever made. My only alterations were to use only
>1 tsp of the cinnamon, to use 1.5 tsp chipotle powder, and I baked them
>on parchment paper instead of foil for 45 minutes as they are so thick
>and I prefer my brownies drier. This recipe is a keeper for sure!

snip recipe
I've copied the recipe because it really sounds good, except I am not
a fan of cinnamon and will probably cut way back on that.
thanks
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 23, 2:33*am, sf > wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 19:36:08 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
>
> > wrote:
> > Copied the recipe, thanks! Dunno if I'll ever make it, but... May use
> > the idea of coffee, cinnamon and chipotle to make truffles!

> Those combinations have never appealed to me. *Please make it and
> report back. *
>
> --
>
> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

I made a combination of pepper, cinnamon and orange truffle once (for
Christmas), and it was not my fave, but my son loved them. I will
report on it. I always do when I'm making my Christmas Candy.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Jul 23, 2:33 am, sf > wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 19:36:08 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
>>
>> > wrote:
>>> Copied the recipe, thanks! Dunno if I'll ever make it, but... May use
>>> the idea of coffee, cinnamon and chipotle to make truffles!

>> Those combinations have never appealed to me. Please make it and
>> report back.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

> I made a combination of pepper, cinnamon and orange truffle once (for
> Christmas), and it was not my fave, but my son loved them. I will
> report on it. I always do when I'm making my Christmas Candy.
>
> John Kuthe...

Once in awhile a put a tiny amount of cayenne pepper in my candy making for
a change of taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I've copied the recipe because it really sounds good, except I am not
> a fan of cinnamon and will probably cut way back on that.
> thanks
> Janet US

I cut it back to 1 tsp and it was perfect. It seems to compliment the
other flavors yet isn't so pronounced that it screams "cinnamon!".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 09:17:03 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

>Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> I've copied the recipe because it really sounds good, except I am not
>> a fan of cinnamon and will probably cut way back on that.
>> thanks
>> Janet US

>I cut it back to 1 tsp and it was perfect. It seems to compliment the
>other flavors yet isn't so pronounced that it screams "cinnamon!".

O.k., I'll give that a try. Thanks
Janet US