Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default St. John's Bread

How's this famous bread from St. John's University in Minnesota?
http://www.monasterygreetings.com/pr...St_Johns_Abbey

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 14:58:46 -0400, "Christopher M."
> wrote:

>How's this famous bread from St. John's University in Minnesota?
>http://www.monasterygreetings.com/pr...St_Johns_Abbey
>

>W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

I thought that you meant this. It was found in the produce section of
grocery stores when I was a child. A tasty, fibrous snack
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._John%27s_Bread

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 14:58:46 -0400, "Christopher M."
> > wrote:
>
>>How's this famous bread from St. John's University in Minnesota?
>>http://www.monasterygreetings.com/pr...St_Johns_Abbey
>>

>>W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
>>

> I thought that you meant this. It was found in the produce section of
> grocery stores when I was a child. A tasty, fibrous snack
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._John%27s_Bread

Yes, it's a cause of much confusion.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/20/2011 12:58 PM, Christopher M. wrote:
> How's this famous bread from St. John's University in Minnesota?
> http://www.monasterygreetings.com/pr...St_Johns_Abbey

I'd say it's expensive at $11.50 (including shipping) per package/loaf.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> On 7/20/2011 12:58 PM, Christopher M. wrote:
>> How's this famous bread from St. John's University in Minnesota?
>> http://www.monasterygreetings.com/pr...St_Johns_Abbey
>>

> I'd say it's expensive at $11.50 (including shipping) per package/loaf.

I might have seen a recipe in one of those 'American Test Kitchen'
magazines.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/20/2011 5:21 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 14:58:46 -0400, "Christopher M."
> > wrote:
>
>> How's this famous bread from St. John's University in Minnesota?
>> http://www.monasterygreetings.com/pr...St_Johns_Abbey
>>

>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
>>

> I thought that you meant this. It was found in the produce section of
> grocery stores when I was a child. A tasty, fibrous snack
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._John%27s_Bread
>
> Janet US

I remember that stuff from when I was a kid. We used to get it at school
(I went to a Jewish Day School) for a minor holiday called Tu B'Shvat
which was the new years day for trees (I'm not kidding). It is very
chewy but tasty. I think they called something pronounced like "buck sir"

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 22:50:29 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>On 7/20/2011 5:21 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 14:58:46 -0400, "Christopher M."
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> How's this famous bread from St. John's University in Minnesota?
>>> http://www.monasterygreetings.com/pr...St_Johns_Abbey
>>>

>>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
>>>

>> I thought that you meant this. It was found in the produce section of
>> grocery stores when I was a child. A tasty, fibrous snack
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._John%27s_Bread
>>
>> Janet US

>I remember that stuff from when I was a kid. We used to get it at school
>(I went to a Jewish Day School) for a minor holiday called Tu B'Shvat
>which was the new years day for trees (I'm not kidding). It is very
>chewy but tasty. I think they called something pronounced like "buck sir"

Buksa.

It's carob... those pods are used to make fake chocolate.

http://www.nutsonline.com/cookingbak...FYeD5QodJB8EzA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Christopher M." > wrote:

> How's this famous bread from St. John's University in Minnesota?
> http://www.monasterygreetings.com/pr...m_St_Johns_Abb
> ey
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Someone, somewhere (here?) was looking for the recipe. I have to think
about where I read it. . . . It is popular.

--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 19, 2011 - Pickled Boiled Dirt Chunks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Christopher M." > wrote:

> How's this famous bread from St. John's University in Minnesota?
> http://www.monasterygreetings.com/pr...m_St_Johns_Abb
> ey
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

OK, it was someone who posted to the Facebook cooking group, looking for
a recipe for Swedish rolls (dinner roll) served at St. Ben's (women's
college affiliated with St. John's <men only, I think>).