FoodBanter.com

-   -   Paleo/GAPS/Gluten Free/Dairy Free Diet Suggestions? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/409042-re-paleo-gaps-gluten.html)

Steve Pope 08-07-2011 03:19 AM

Ranée at Arabian Knits > wrote:

>I will be starting an elimination diet for two of my children (and
>therefore the rest of the family as well) on Sunday. I need menu ideas
>and recipes, especially for breakfast, that do not include wheat,
>gluten, dairy, citrus, chocolate, soy, almonds or bananas.

>We have lots of beef, turkey, lamb, a little ham and tons of eggs, so
>meals that deal with that would be wonderful. I would prefer to use
>coconut milk to rice milk. Thank you for any help!

Coconut milk is very calorie-dense, it is not a culinary substitution
for the usual cow or soy milk.

Are soybeans the only disallowed bean?

Breakfast -- TJ's "Joe's O's" (generic Cheerio's) which contain only
oats; blueberries; and rice milk. And/or eggs.

Other meals -- rice and beans plus the above-mentioned protein
ingredients. Tamales. Cheese-free tacos/enchiladas based on corn
tortillas.

I have not had real good luck with rice pasta.

Dessert -- frozen coconut milk based is possible.

Those are my ideas, good luck...

S.

Julie Bove[_2_] 08-07-2011 03:55 AM

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Ranée at Arabian Knits > wrote:
>
>>I will be starting an elimination diet for two of my children (and
>>therefore the rest of the family as well) on Sunday. I need menu ideas
>>and recipes, especially for breakfast, that do not include wheat,
>>gluten, dairy, citrus, chocolate, soy, almonds or bananas.

>>We have lots of beef, turkey, lamb, a little ham and tons of eggs, so
>>meals that deal with that would be wonderful. I would prefer to use
>>coconut milk to rice milk. Thank you for any help!

> Coconut milk is very calorie-dense, it is not a culinary substitution
> for the usual cow or soy milk.
>
> Are soybeans the only disallowed bean?
>
> Breakfast -- TJ's "Joe's O's" (generic Cheerio's) which contain only
> oats; blueberries; and rice milk. And/or eggs.
>
> Other meals -- rice and beans plus the above-mentioned protein
> ingredients. Tamales. Cheese-free tacos/enchiladas based on corn
> tortillas.
>
> I have not had real good luck with rice pasta.
>
> Dessert -- frozen coconut milk based is possible.
>
> Those are my ideas, good luck...
>
> S.

Oops! Sorry! Disregard what I said about Nucoa. We use it because it is
just soybean oil and not the beans themselves. There is a margarine that is
made of peas or lentils. I think it is Earthbalance.

Julie Bove[_2_] 08-07-2011 04:04 AM

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 02:19:09 +0000 (UTC), (Steve
> Pope) wrote:
>
>>Breakfast -- TJ's "Joe's O's" (generic Cheerio's) which contain only
>>oats; blueberries; and rice milk. And/or eggs.

> From what I have been reading from Shauna Ahern (glutenfreegirl.com)
> not all oats are gluten free. Some are contaminated...so one needs to
> check very carefully. She has more on her website.

Yes. You have to buy the ones that are certified GF.

Steve Pope 08-07-2011 04:52 AM

Julie Bove > wrote:

>"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 02:19:09 +0000 (UTC), (Steve
>> Pope) wrote:
>>
>>>Breakfast -- TJ's "Joe's O's" (generic Cheerio's) which contain only
>>>oats; blueberries; and rice milk. And/or eggs.

>> From what I have been reading from Shauna Ahern (glutenfreegirl.com)
>> not all oats are gluten free. Some are contaminated...so one needs to
>> check very carefully. She has more on her website.

>Yes. You have to buy the ones that are certified GF.

Thank you for correcting me. I just looked at the box of "Joe's O's"
and it does not say it is gluten-free.

Whether that means it's not suitable for what Ranee is doing, I'm
not sure, it would depend on what her instructions are. Ranee
mentions having ham, that might not be gluten-free either.

Steve

Julie Bove[_2_] 08-07-2011 05:05 AM

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>
>>"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> From what I have been reading from Shauna Ahern (glutenfreegirl.com)
>>> not all oats are gluten free. Some are contaminated...so one needs to
>>> check very carefully. She has more on her website.

>>Yes. You have to buy the ones that are certified GF.

> Thank you for correcting me. I just looked at the box of "Joe's O's"
> and it does not say it is gluten-free.
>
> Whether that means it's not suitable for what Ranee is doing, I'm
> not sure, it would depend on what her instructions are. Ranee
> mentions having ham, that might not be gluten-free either.

Trader Joe's does sell some GF cereals though.