Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What's This Machine For ???

Andy wrote:

> I'm not going to bid.

Go ahead if you like. I've decided not to bid.
I briefly considered the possibility it is
a cacao bean roaster. The burner size and
ball capacity are consistent with roasting
a small batch of cacao beans to make a few
mugs of a chocolate beverage. Cacao beans need
a low, gentle heat because they scorch easily.

If I was sure that's what it is, I'd make a
strong bid, but I'm not very confident in that
diagnosis. Also, I've made roasted cacao and
I'm not a big fan of it. (Although maybe I just
didn't do a good job, because I've heard raves
about fresh roasted cacao.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-06-29, Mark Thorson > wrote:

> I hope it's actually a coffee roaster.

Did you win the bid? If so, congrats.

Good price for an antique, seeing as new ones are going for almost as
much:

http://salestores.com/coffeetechfz.html

nb

--
vi ...the root of evil
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Three hours to go at $140.

Went for $310.50.

> I'm impressed!
>
> I hope it's fully operational.

I hope it's actually a coffee roaster. That's about
what a real antique coffee roaster goes for. Antique
stovetop drum roasters routinely go for about $250-$350
depending on condition. I've also seen antique drum
roasters outfitted for gas (rarely) and charcoal (mostly
from sellers in Europe). That roaster did not look like
an antique.

> The last minute auction wars would drive me nuts.

When I decide to bid, that's the fun part. I try to
bid in the last 10 seconds. It used to get the heart
pumping, but I don't really react that much anymore.

> I haven't watched an ebay auction in years.
>
> For sure, I'm out of the running!
>
> Congrats to the winning bidder!
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2011-06-29, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> >
> > I hope it's actually a coffee roaster.

> Did you win the bid? If so, congrats.

No, I didn't bid.

> Good price for an antique, seeing as new ones are going for almost as
> much:
>
> http://salestores.com/coffeetechfz.html

Huh! I didn't know that stovetop drum roasters
were still being made. That's an interesting unit,
though rather pricey for what it is. I suppose you
spin it by twisting the handles, because there is
no crank. That's not a very good action for the
hands and wrists.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Geez... that much?!?
>
> WOW!
>
> Did you at all bid??

Nope.

> I've e-bay auction bid and won a couple car antenna toppers in the $2.00
> range. No last minute bidding wars. That's too high anxiety for me.

That's the fun part. It's what I do instead
of parachuting, bungee jumping, or gambling.

> Thanks again!
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29 Jun 2011 05:55:37 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2011-06-29, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>>
>> I hope it's actually a coffee roaster.

>Did you win the bid? If so, congrats.
>
>Good price for an antique, seeing as new ones are going for almost as
>much:
>
>http://salestores.com/coffeetechfz.html

I wonder why anyone would buy that thing when you can get the best
home coffee roaster in the world, with free shipping plus 5 pounds of
green coffee beans, for $299.
http://catesgreencoffee.com/Behmor1600.html

Ross
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-06-30, Ross@home <Ross@home> wrote:

> I wonder why anyone would buy that thing when you can get the best
> home coffee roaster in the world, with free shipping plus 5 pounds of
> green coffee beans, for $299.
> http://catesgreencoffee.com/Behmor1600.html

Wow!

Boy, have I been out of it. Never even heard of this machine. From
the looks of it, appears to be well thought out, and at a very
reasonable price, too. I've used the Hottop, but it's price has gone
from too high to jes plain ridiculous and they aren't all that
reliable. I'll hafta research this further. Thanks for the link.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30 Jun 2011 14:27:38 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2011-06-30, Ross@home <Ross@home> wrote:
>
>> I wonder why anyone would buy that thing when you can get the best
>> home coffee roaster in the world, with free shipping plus 5 pounds of
>> green coffee beans, for $299.
>> http://catesgreencoffee.com/Behmor1600.html

>Wow!
>
>Boy, have I been out of it. Never even heard of this machine. From
>the looks of it, appears to be well thought out, and at a very
>reasonable price, too. I've used the Hottop, but it's price has gone
>from too high to jes plain ridiculous and they aren't all that
>reliable. I'll hafta research this further. Thanks for the link.
>
>nb

Here's Joe Behm's site. Lots of info there.
http://www.behmor.com/
My wife and kids gave me a Behmor 1600 for Christmas 2008. There's
been a new chaff collector upgrade since I got mine but mine has given
yeoman service ever since I got it.
Here's another site also with free shipping and green coffee. It also
has quite a bit of info on the roaster plus a video.
http://www.roastmasters.com/behmor.h...FQVrKgod8F12aw

Usual disclaimer: I am not a shill for the Behmor company, I'm just a
very satisfied customer.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-06-30, Ross@home <Ross@home> wrote:

> Here's Joe Behm's site. Lots of info there.
> http://www.behmor.com/
> My wife and kids gave me a Behmor 1600 for Christmas 2008. There's
> been a new chaff collector upgrade since I got mine but mine has given
> yeoman service ever since I got it.
> Here's another site also with free shipping and green coffee. It also
> has quite a bit of info on the roaster plus a video.
> http://www.roastmasters.com/behmor.h...FQVrKgod8F12aw
>
> Usual disclaimer: I am not a shill for the Behmor company, I'm just a
> very satisfied customer.

I can understand that. Looks to be a great machine and has me
seriously considering the purchase of one. As usual, SweetMaria's is
in the thick of it (pre-production testing) and even has a video on
it:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.details-behmor.php

We have local roasters, but they don't carry the African and Ethiopian
coffees I prefer, cuz they don't sell as well. With me paying premium
prices for coffees a don't prefer, I can see this machine paying for
itself within a couple years. For now, it'll hafta wait till I get my
Mazzer grinder repaired.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/29/2011 2:02 AM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> When I decide to bid, that's the fun part. I try to
> bid in the last 10 seconds. It used to get the heart
> pumping, but I don't really react that much anymore.

I did that when Wii units were hard to find. I'd wait until the last
few minutes and add a maximum bid and watch the fun. I never won a bid
that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-07-02, Mark Thorson > wrote:

> I've been looking for an antique roaster I can use
> on my gas stovetop, and I think this will do nicely.
> I've been looking for quite some time and am quite
> aware of the competition for these things. I'm
> very surprised I won so cheaply. I was expecting
> to lose at a much higher price.

Good luck on that. Let us know how it works out.

nb