Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default spray oil and bake = fry?

Instead of frying any given food, if I were to spray with a light
coating of oil and
then bake in an oven or convection oven, would this produce a result
similar to frying? I am trying to find a lower-fat alternative to
frying which would produce a similar result. Any item, could be
french
fries, chicken, etc.
thanks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Filip Houdek" > wrote in message
> Instead of frying any given food, if I were to spray with a light
> coating of oil and
> then bake in an oven or convection oven, would this produce a result
> similar to frying? I am trying to find a lower-fat alternative to
> frying which would produce a similar result. Any item, could be
> french
> fries, chicken, etc.
> thanks

Pretty much the same, yes. But when you say spray with oil, do you meal
real oil like olive oil in a Misto? Or are you talking about stuff like
Pam?

I pan fry potatoes sometimes. But that's about it for frying. I don't
spray. I just coat with oil and bake in the oven.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Filip Houdek" > wrote in message
> > Instead of frying any given food, if I were to spray with a light
> > coating of oil and
> > then bake in an oven or convection oven, would this produce a result
> > similar to frying? I am trying to find a lower-fat alternative to
> > frying which would produce a similar result. Any item, could be
> > french
> > fries, chicken, etc.
> > thanks

> Pretty much the same, yes.

I disagree. When frying, heat is transferred far more efficiently than
when baking. How long can you hold your bare hand in a 375 degree oven?
How long can you hold it in 375 degree oil?

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"isw" > wrote in message
]...
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Filip Houdek" > wrote in message
>> > Instead of frying any given food, if I were to spray with a light
>> > coating of oil and
>> > then bake in an oven or convection oven, would this produce a result
>> > similar to frying? I am trying to find a lower-fat alternative to
>> > frying which would produce a similar result. Any item, could be
>> > french
>> > fries, chicken, etc.
>> > thanks

>> Pretty much the same, yes.

> I disagree. When frying, heat is transferred far more efficiently than
> when baking. How long can you hold your bare hand in a 375 degree oven?
> How long can you hold it in 375 degree oil?

I meant the end result will taste pretty much the same.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/12/2011 5:09 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In article
> >,
> Filip > wrote:
>
>> Instead of frying any given food, if I were to spray with a light
>> coating of oil and
>> then bake in an oven or convection oven, would this produce a result
>> similar to frying? I am trying to find a lower-fat alternative to
>> frying which would produce a similar result. Any item, could be
>> french
>> fries, chicken, etc.
>> thanks

> Works for me.

I do that too using Panko crumbs. It's good but I miss deep frying. I
have been known to have Tempura at Japanese restaurants. Sweet potato
tempura is addictive!

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 11, 5:51*pm, Filip Houdek > wrote:
> Instead of frying any given food, if I were to spray with a light
> coating of oil and
> then bake in an oven or convection oven, would this produce a result
> similar to frying? I am trying to find a lower-fat alternative to
> frying which would produce a similar result. Any item, could be
> french
> fries, chicken, etc.
> thanks

There's probably a way to do something like this. My guess is that it
would involve suspending food in a stream of dry, hot, air. The first
problem would be to get an air blower that could keep the food
balanced and stable without much tumbling. You'd also want to be able
to control the hot air temperature - up to 500 degrees F would
probably be about right.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

it produces a pleseant product, but not the same as deep fried or even
sauteed, but as an alternative when the goal is good food with less fat it
surely is an option, the results vary with food, and imho oil used, Lee
"Filip Houdek" > wrote in message
> Instead of frying any given food, if I were to spray with a light
> coating of oil and
> then bake in an oven or convection oven, would this produce a result
> similar to frying? I am trying to find a lower-fat alternative to
> frying which would produce a similar result. Any item, could be
> french
> fries, chicken, etc.
> thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

or lay the food on a cookie sheet, spray with a misto, turn it over spray
again, shove it under the broiler for a quick cook or in the oven for a
longer one, you might turn it once, Lee
"dsi1" > wrote in message
On May 11, 5:51 pm, Filip Houdek > wrote:
> Instead of frying any given food, if I were to spray with a light
> coating of oil and
> then bake in an oven or convection oven, would this produce a result
> similar to frying? I am trying to find a lower-fat alternative to
> frying which would produce a similar result. Any item, could be
> french
> fries, chicken, etc.
> thanks

There's probably a way to do something like this. My guess is that it
would involve suspending food in a stream of dry, hot, air. The first
problem would be to get an air blower that could keep the food
balanced and stable without much tumbling. You'd also want to be able
to control the hot air temperature - up to 500 degrees F would
probably be about right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/13/2011 10:41 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> or lay the food on a cookie sheet, spray with a misto, turn it over spray
> again, shove it under the broiler for a quick cook or in the oven for a
> longer one, you might turn it once, Lee

That's an interesting idea. I've never had much luck with broiler
cooking, I must be jinxed or something. One of the last appliances I got
was a cheap deep fryer. It's a pretty cool appliance and takes away much
of the muss and fuss of deep fry cookery. I don't mind the fuss so much
but can't stand even a little muss! :-)

> > wrote in message
> On May 11, 5:51 pm, Filip > wrote:
>> Instead of frying any given food, if I were to spray with a light
>> coating of oil and
>> then bake in an oven or convection oven, would this produce a result
>> similar to frying? I am trying to find a lower-fat alternative to
>> frying which would produce a similar result. Any item, could be
>> french
>> fries, chicken, etc.
>> thanks

> There's probably a way to do something like this. My guess is that it
> would involve suspending food in a stream of dry, hot, air. The first
> problem would be to get an air blower that could keep the food
> balanced and stable without much tumbling. You'd also want to be able
> to control the hot air temperature - up to 500 degrees F would
> probably be about right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

we had a very nice deep fryer but rarely used it as we have been moving away
fron deep fried foods... but they do make certain items easy and quick, Lee
"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 5/13/2011 10:41 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> or lay the food on a cookie sheet, spray with a misto, turn it over spray
>> again, shove it under the broiler for a quick cook or in the oven for a
>> longer one, you might turn it once, Lee

> That's an interesting idea. I've never had much luck with broiler cooking,
> I must be jinxed or something. One of the last appliances I got was a
> cheap deep fryer. It's a pretty cool appliance and takes away much of the
> muss and fuss of deep fry cookery. I don't mind the fuss so much but can't
> stand even a little muss! :-)
>
>> > wrote in message
>> On May 11, 5:51 pm, Filip > wrote:
>>> Instead of frying any given food, if I were to spray with a light
>>> coating of oil and
>>> then bake in an oven or convection oven, would this produce a result
>>> similar to frying? I am trying to find a lower-fat alternative to
>>> frying which would produce a similar result. Any item, could be
>>> french
>>> fries, chicken, etc.
>>> thanks

>> There's probably a way to do something like this. My guess is that it
>> would involve suspending food in a stream of dry, hot, air. The first
>> problem would be to get an air blower that could keep the food
>> balanced and stable without much tumbling. You'd also want to be able
>> to control the hot air temperature - up to 500 degrees F would
>> probably be about right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/14/2011 10:21 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> we had a very nice deep fryer but rarely used it as we have been moving away
> fron deep fried foods... but they do make certain items easy and quick, Lee

I would not be surprised if fat-free deep frying could be done with
liquid carbon dioxide. Unfortunately, quite high pressures would be
involved and the expensive equipment may have to be left to the
"molecular gastronomy" chefs.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> we had a very nice deep fryer but rarely used it as we have been moving
> away fron deep fried foods... but they do make certain items easy and
> quick, Lee

I got rid of mine. Actually I did a stupid thing. My mom gave me hers. It
was from the 1950's and it worked really well. When I was really young she
made a lot of fried chicken and fried okra. But when we moved to WA, she
quit frying at all. So she gave me the fryer when I moved out.

I only used it twice, for donuts.

Then I won a Fry Daddy. I assumed since it was new, it must be better. So
I gave away the fryer I had. Then my roommate bought some lumpia from a
coworker. They were made up but needed to be deep fried. That's when we
discovered that the stupid Fry Daddy never got hot enough to fry anything.
That was the last of the frying for me.

Actually I probably wouldn't have used the deep fryer had I kept it. I
never really liked fried stuff all that well.