Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anniversary dinner

Although today is actually our 45th anniversary, I took my wife to diner
Thursday night to avoid the Mother's Day crowd. It also allows the staff to
do the little special things I planned.

We went to the Harvest http://www.harvestrestaurant.com/

Two days ahead I went there and had the menu planned for both of us. Right
from cocktails, three courses, then a shared Baked Alaska for dessert. As
planned, we arrived and were seated in a window alcove and no menu was given
to us as it was not needed. The waitress just brought our drinks and some
bread. Then each course was served over the evening at a slow pace.

My wife loved it, of course. I've done this often over the years and she
enjoys the attention and the surprise. The Harvest is one of the places we
like for special occasions as both the food and service are superb. The
table had fresh flowers, an anniversary card and in a quiet place.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 May 2011 17:09:36 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>Although today is actually our 45th anniversary, I took my wife to diner
>Thursday night to avoid the Mother's Day crowd. It also allows the staff to
>do the little special things I planned.
>
>We went to the Harvest http://www.harvestrestaurant.com/
>
>Two days ahead I went there and had the menu planned for both of us. Right
>from cocktails, three courses, then a shared Baked Alaska for dessert. As
>planned, we arrived and were seated in a window alcove and no menu was given
>to us as it was not needed. The waitress just brought our drinks and some
>bread. Then each course was served over the evening at a slow pace.
>
>My wife loved it, of course. I've done this often over the years and she
>enjoys the attention and the surprise. The Harvest is one of the places we
>like for special occasions as both the food and service are superb. The
>table had fresh flowers, an anniversary card and in a quiet place.

Mozel Tov!
Wishing you many more.
What did you eat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Sat, 7 May 2011 17:09:36 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>
>>Although today is actually our 45th anniversary, I took my wife to diner
>>Thursday night to avoid the Mother's Day crowd. It also allows the staff
>>do the little special things I planned.
>>
>>We went to the Harvest http://www.harvestrestaurant.com/
>>
>>Two days ahead I went there and had the menu planned for both of us.
>>Right
>>from cocktails, three courses, then a shared Baked Alaska for dessert.
>>As
>>planned, we arrived and were seated in a window alcove and no menu was
>>given
>>to us as it was not needed. The waitress just brought our drinks and
>>some
>>bread. Then each course was served over the evening at a slow pace.
>>
>>My wife loved it, of course. I've done this often over the years and she
>>enjoys the attention and the surprise. The Harvest is one of the places
>>we
>>like for special occasions as both the food and service are superb. The
>>table had fresh flowers, an anniversary card and in a quiet place.

> Mozel Tov!
> Wishing you many more.
> What did you eat?

Thank you.

I had the scallop appetizer, lobster bisque, rack of lamb. Gloria had the
lobster strudel, French onion soup, pistachio encrusted salmon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/7/2011 4:09 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Although today is actually our 45th anniversary, I took my wife to diner
> Thursday night to avoid the Mother's Day crowd. It also allows the staff
> to do the little special things I planned.
>
> We went to the Harvest http://www.harvestrestaurant.com/
>
> Two days ahead I went there and had the menu planned for both of us.
> Right from cocktails, three courses, then a shared Baked Alaska for
> dessert. As planned, we arrived and were seated in a window alcove and
> no menu was given to us as it was not needed. The waitress just brought
> our drinks and some bread. Then each course was served over the evening
> at a slow pace.
>
> My wife loved it, of course. I've done this often over the years and she
> enjoys the attention and the surprise. The Harvest is one of the places
> we like for special occasions as both the food and service are superb.
> The table had fresh flowers, an anniversary card and in a quiet place.

You're a good husband Ed, keep it up and you will stay married a long,
long time. We celebrated our fiftieth anniversary this past December. We
chose a restaurant in a small town in Texas where we had lived thirty
years ago. All eighteen of our descendants were in attendance and we had
a great time. I'm sure your anniversary was just what you and your wife
wanted. Congratulations.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 5:09*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> Although today is actually our 45th anniversary, I took my wife to diner
> Thursday night to avoid the Mother's Day crowd. *It also allows the staff to
> do the little special things I planned.
>
> We went to the Harvest *http://www.harvestrestaurant.com/
>
> Two days ahead I went there and had the menu planned for both of us. *Right
> from cocktails, three courses, then a shared Baked Alaska for dessert. * As
> planned, we arrived and were seated in a window alcove and no menu was given
> to us as it was not needed. * The waitress just brought our drinks and some
> bread. *Then each course was served over the evening at a slow pace.
>
> My wife loved it, of course. I've done this often over the years and she
> enjoys the attention and the surprise. *The Harvest is one of the places we
> like for special occasions as both the food and service are superb. *The
> table had fresh flowers, an anniversary card and in a quiet place.

Oh, my....POMFRET? Love that area. Oh, to be wealthy....

How romantic of you to plan all this, and get the alcove. Gee, almost
like a place of proposal. I'm a pushover for things like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/7/2011 3:09 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Although today is actually our 45th anniversary, I took my wife to diner
> Thursday night to avoid the Mother's Day crowd. It also allows the staff
> to do the little special things I planned.

Lovely. That would not have occurred to my husband in 1000 years.
He is among the least romantic of engineers. We'll celebrate 45 yrs. in
Sept.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/7/2011 3:09 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Although today is actually our 45th anniversary, I took my wife to diner
> Thursday night to avoid the Mother's Day crowd. It also allows the staff
> to do the little special things I planned.

Lovely. That would not have occurred to my husband in 1000 years.
He is among the least romantic of engineers. We'll celebrate 45 yrs. in
Sept.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Shirley" > wrote

> You're a good husband Ed, keep it up and you will stay married a long,
> long time. We celebrated our fiftieth anniversary this past December. We
> chose a restaurant in a small town in Texas where we had lived thirty
> years ago. All eighteen of our descendants were in attendance and we had a
> great time. I'm sure your anniversary was just what you and your wife
> wanted. Congratulations.

Thank you. Maybe for the 50th we'll do a bit more, but this we truly
enjoyed just sharing the time together.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote

> Oh, my....POMFRET? Love that area. Oh, to be wealthy....
>
> How romantic of you to plan all this, and get the alcove. Gee, almost
> like a place of proposal. I'm a pushover for things like that.

There is quite a bit of truly affordable housing in Pomfret. Not Renee
Zellweger's or Brian Dennehy's house, of course, but lots of regular folk
live there too.

I chose the menu ahead of time, but I've also gone a step further and told
the owner, just give us a dinner, your choice what to make. Never been
disappointed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> On 5/7/2011 3:09 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> Although today is actually our 45th anniversary, I took my wife to diner
>> Thursday night to avoid the Mother's Day crowd. It also allows the staff
>> to do the little special things I planned.
>>

> Lovely. That would not have occurred to my husband in 1000 years.
> He is among the least romantic of engineers. We'll celebrate 45 yrs. in
> Sept.
>
> gloria p

Would he be surprised it you did it for him? Engineers need cuddling too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "gloria.p" > wrote in message
>> On 5/7/2011 3:09 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> Although today is actually our 45th anniversary, I took my wife to diner
>>> Thursday night to avoid the Mother's Day crowd. It also allows the staff
>>> to do the little special things I planned.
>>>

>> Lovely. That would not have occurred to my husband in 1000 years.
>> He is among the least romantic of engineers. We'll celebrate 45 yrs. in
>> Sept.
>>
>> gloria p

> Would he be surprised it you did it for him? Engineers need cuddling too.

An excellent suggestion, Ed!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> Although today is actually our 45th anniversary, I took my wife to diner
> Thursday night to avoid the Mother's Day crowd. It also allows the staff
> to do the little special things I planned.
>
> We went to the Harvest http://www.harvestrestaurant.com/
>
> Two days ahead I went there and had the menu planned for both of us.
> Right from cocktails, three courses, then a shared Baked Alaska for
> dessert. As planned, we arrived and were seated in a window alcove and
> no menu was given to us as it was not needed. The waitress just brought
> our drinks and some bread. Then each course was served over the evening
> at a slow pace.
>
> My wife loved it, of course. I've done this often over the years and she
> enjoys the attention and the surprise. The Harvest is one of the places
> we like for special occasions as both the food and service are superb.
> The table had fresh flowers, an anniversary card and in a quiet place.

It sounds just lovely. Happy Anniversary!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote

>> My wife loved it, of course. I've done this often over the years and she
>> enjoys the attention and the surprise. The Harvest is one of the places
>> we like for special occasions as both the food and service are superb.
>> The table had fresh flowers, an anniversary card and in a quiet place.

> It sounds just lovely. Happy Anniversary!
>
> Jill

Thank you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> Although today is actually our 45th anniversary, I took my wife to diner
> Thursday night to avoid the Mother's Day crowd. It also allows the staff to
> do the little special things I planned.
>
> We went to the Harvest http://www.harvestrestaurant.com/
>
> Two days ahead I went there and had the menu planned for both of us. Right
> from cocktails, three courses, then a shared Baked Alaska for dessert. As
> planned, we arrived and were seated in a window alcove and no menu was given
> to us as it was not needed. The waitress just brought our drinks and some
> bread. Then each course was served over the evening at a slow pace.
>
> My wife loved it, of course. I've done this often over the years and she
> enjoys the attention and the surprise. The Harvest is one of the places we
> like for special occasions as both the food and service are superb. The
> table had fresh flowers, an anniversary card and in a quiet place.

You dawg, you! I salute you!

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "gloria.p" > wrote in message

> > Lovely. That would not have occurred to my husband in 1000 years.
> > He is among the least romantic of engineers. We'll celebrate 45 yrs. in
> > Sept.
> >
> > gloria p

> Would he be surprised it you did it for him? Engineers need cuddling too.

Cuddling is one thing; not being in control is another. Oh, he'd be
surprised, all right.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 May 2011 22:17:07 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
>
>> Although today is actually our 45th anniversary, I took my wife to diner
>> Thursday night to avoid the Mother's Day crowd. It also allows the staff to
>> do the little special things I planned.
>>
>> We went to the Harvest http://www.harvestrestaurant.com/
>>
>> Two days ahead I went there and had the menu planned for both of us. Right
>> from cocktails, three courses, then a shared Baked Alaska for dessert. As
>> planned, we arrived and were seated in a window alcove and no menu was given
>> to us as it was not needed. The waitress just brought our drinks and some
>> bread. Then each course was served over the evening at a slow pace.
>>
>> My wife loved it, of course. I've done this often over the years and she
>> enjoys the attention and the surprise. The Harvest is one of the places we
>> like for special occasions as both the food and service are superb. The
>> table had fresh flowers, an anniversary card and in a quiet place.

>You dawg, you! I salute you!

Oh, yeah...that is a mighty nice celebration.

The restaurant goes on my list, too, as it is within striking distance
for a weekend;s roadtrip.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 May 2011 17:09:36 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

>Although today is actually our 45th anniversary....
>
>Two days ahead I went there and had the menu planned for both of us. ...

Very nicely done, ed. Congratulations on the impressively big number (45)!

Arrangements like that are especially nice if you can pre-order and have the
wines opened in advance.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote

>>> We went to the Harvest http://www.harvestrestaurant.com/
>>>

>>You dawg, you! I salute you!

> Oh, yeah...that is a mighty nice celebration.
>
> The restaurant goes on my list, too, as it is within striking distance
> for a weekend;s roadtrip.
>
> Boron

If you can't make it for dinner, the breakfast buffet on Sunday is nice too.

Upcoming Anniversary Dinner Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 25 08-04-2012 06:25 PM
TN Our 30th Anniversary dinner JT Wine 7 19-01-2009 10:32 PM
Our Anniversary dinner, and a quick question Nexis General Cooking 15 19-04-2006 06:37 AM
Wish me luck - anniversary dinner Glitter Ninja General Cooking 4 05-03-2006 04:20 AM
Anniversary Dinner Bill Spohn Wine 0 11-12-2004 03:55 PM