Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Black Bean Soup

The black bean soup posted by ImStillMags on the Hizzoners Deli
website
http://hizzoners.com/recipes/soups/1...lack-bean-soup got
me in the mood for black bean soup. I also looked at Simply Recipes'
website http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/black_bean_soup/ and that
sounded good, too. In fact, they were very much alike, so I decided to
fiddle with 'em. The finished product is sitting in my refrigerator as
I keyboard this - bean soup is always best served the second day, but
Bill sneaked a few spoonsful and declared it magnificent. I'd leave
out the bell pepper next time. Doesn't add anything but color and the
soup doesn't need it. Bill likes the beans whole, so I skipped the
immersion blender step. He likes a thinner broth and lots of beans to
chew!

And this seemed like a better idea 2 days ago, as the temp got to 94°F
today in SoCal, but I was determined to make bean soup!

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Black Bean Soup

soups and stews

1 pound dried black beans; soaked overnight
1 pound smoked ham hock or shank
2 bay leaves
5 cups water
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tbsp olive oil
1 large yellow onion; chopped fine
2 large carrots; chopped fine
1 celery rib; chopped fine
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 medium garlic cloves; minced
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chile powder
2 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon molasses
3 - 4 teaspoon lime juice
salt and pepper to taste

Place beans and ham hock in a 4-quart, thick-bottomed pot. Add 5 cups
water, bay leaves, salt and baking soda. Bring to a boil, reduce heat
to a low simmer. Cover and let cook 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30
minutes, until beans are tender. Remove bay leaves. Remove ham hock
from the pot. Cut ham meat away from the bone and cut into small,
bite-sized pieces, set aside.

Heat olive oil in a 10" skillet on medium high until the oil is hot,
but not smoking. Add the onions, celery, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and softened, about
10-15 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add the cumin, chili powder, and
garlic, cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

Add the vegetable mixture to the beans. Bring to a boil then reduce
heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 30 minutes.

Remove 4 cups of the soup (about half of it) to a blender.* Purée
until smooth and return to the pot of soup. Add back the ham pieces to
the soup. Add 3 Tbsp of lime juice. Adjust seasonings. If on the sweet
side, add a bit more lime juice. Salt to taste.

* Or use immersion blender to puree about half the beans.

Notes: Tweaked from Simply Recipes and Hizzoners Deli

Yield: serves 6 - 8

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Black Bean Soup

"Terry Pulliam Burd" <
> The black bean soup posted by ImStillMags on the Hizzoners Deli
> website
> http://hizzoners.com/recipes/soups/1...lack-bean-soup got
> me in the mood for black bean soup. I also looked at Simply Recipes'
> website http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/black_bean_soup/ and that
> sounded good, too. In fact, they were very much alike, so I decided to
> fiddle with 'em. The finished product is sitting in my refrigerator as
> I keyboard this - bean soup is always best served the second day, but
> Bill sneaked a few spoonsful and declared it magnificent. I'd leave
> out the bell pepper next time. Doesn't add anything but color and the
> soup doesn't need it. Bill likes the beans whole, so I skipped the
> immersion blender step. He likes a thinner broth and lots of beans to
> chew!
>
> And this seemed like a better idea 2 days ago, as the temp got to 94°F
> today in SoCal, but I was determined to make bean soup!
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Black Bean Soup
>
> soups and stews
>
> 1 pound dried black beans; soaked overnight
> 1 pound smoked ham hock or shank
> 2 bay leaves
> 5 cups water
> 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 4 tbsp olive oil
> 1 large yellow onion; chopped fine
> 2 large carrots; chopped fine
> 1 celery rib; chopped fine
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 4 medium garlic cloves; minced
> 1 tablespoon ground cumin
> 1 teaspoon chile powder
> 2 cups chicken stock
> 1 tablespoon molasses
> 3 - 4 teaspoon lime juice
> salt and pepper to taste
>
> Place beans and ham hock in a 4-quart, thick-bottomed pot. Add 5 cups
> water, bay leaves, salt and baking soda. Bring to a boil, reduce heat
> to a low simmer. Cover and let cook 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30
> minutes, until beans are tender. Remove bay leaves. Remove ham hock
> from the pot. Cut ham meat away from the bone and cut into small,
> bite-sized pieces, set aside.
>
> Heat olive oil in a 10" skillet on medium high until the oil is hot,
> but not smoking. Add the onions, celery, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
> Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and softened, about
> 10-15 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add the cumin, chili powder, and
> garlic, cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
>
> Add the vegetable mixture to the beans. Bring to a boil then reduce
> heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 30 minutes.
>
> Remove 4 cups of the soup (about half of it) to a blender.* Purée
> until smooth and return to the pot of soup. Add back the ham pieces to
> the soup. Add 3 Tbsp of lime juice. Adjust seasonings. If on the sweet
> side, add a bit more lime juice. Salt to taste.
>
> * Or use immersion blender to puree about half the beans.

Freeze some if there's any left. It is wonderful to have on standby for a
day when you're pressed for time and want something really great. My
favorite method is to freeze the soup in heavy-weight zip bags. You can
sort of flatten the bags and they freeze quickly and stack neatly. You can
re-heat by putting the bags into a pot of simmering water. No over-cooking
and nearly no cleanup. Could you ask for more? Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> [...]
>
> Heat olive oil in a 10" skillet on medium high until the oil is hot,
> but not smoking. Add the onions, celery, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
> Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and softened, about
> 10-15 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add the cumin, chili powder, and
> garlic, cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
>
> Add the vegetable mixture to the beans. Bring to a boil then reduce
> heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 30 minutes.
>
> Remove 4 cups of the soup (about half of it) to a blender.* Purée
> until smooth and return to the pot of soup. Add back the ham pieces to
> the soup. Add 3 Tbsp of lime juice. Adjust seasonings. If on the sweet
> side, add a bit more lime juice. Salt to taste.
>
> * Or use immersion blender to puree about half the beans.
>
> Notes: Tweaked from Simply Recipes and Hizzoners Deli

This sounds great. I'm always looking for something to do with leftover ham.
I always make ham stock with leftover ham at the end and freeze it. I'll use
this instead of the hock.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message

> [...]
>>
>> Add the vegetable mixture to the beans. Bring to a boil then reduce
>> heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 30 minutes.
>>
>> Remove 4 cups of the soup (about half of it) to a blender.* Purée
>> until smooth and return to the pot of soup. Add back the ham pieces to
>> the soup. Add 3 Tbsp of lime juice. Adjust seasonings. If on the sweet
>> side, add a bit more lime juice. Salt to taste.
>>
>> * Or use immersion blender to puree about half the beans.
>>

> Freeze some if there's any left. It is wonderful to have on standby for a
> day when you're pressed for time and want something really great. My
> favorite method is to freeze the soup in heavy-weight zip bags. You can
> sort of flatten the bags and they freeze quickly and stack neatly. You can
> re-heat by putting the bags into a pot of simmering water. No
> over-cooking and nearly no cleanup. Could you ask for more? Polly

A great idea. I had a talk very recently from the makers of Ziplock bags who
said as long as you don't go above about 230Fthe bag won't break down. I
don't remember the exact temp. She suggested gently simmering. She also said
they were safe in the microwave.

Kent