Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Summer Pudding/Autumn Pudding (UK)

This is very good. It is best to use a bread with good texture - no
Wonder bread here!

Dora

* Exported from MasterCook *

Summer Pudding/Autumn Pudding

1 1/2 pounds prepared fruit (see directions)
5 tablespoons water
6 or 8 slices bread -- crusts removed
4 ounces sugar
fresh fruit and mint sprigs, to decorate

The fruit for Summer Pudding is typically a mixture of raspberries,
strawberries, stoned cherries, redcurrants, blackcurrants,
gooseberries, rhubarb, blueberries.

For Autumn Pudding, use a mixture of fruits such as apples,
blackberries, plums and pears.

Gently stew the fruit in the water and sugar until soft but still
retaining their shape.

Meanwhile, cut a round from one slice of bread to neatly fit in the
bottom of a 2-pint pudding basin (I use a round bowl) and cut 4-6 of
the remaining slices into neat fingers. Arrange the fingers around
the sides, overlapping them so there are no spaces.

When the fruit is cooked and still hot, pour it gently into the basin,
being careful not to disturb the bread pieces. Reserve about 3
tablespoons of the juice. When the basin is full, cut the remaining
bread and use to cover the fruit, to form a lid. Cover with foil,
then a plate or saucer which fits just inside the bowl and put a
weight on top. Leave the pudding until cold, then put into the
refrigerator and chill overnight.

To serve, carefully run a knife round the edge to loosen, then invert
the pudding on to a serving dish. Pour the reserved juice over the
top. Serve cold with cream. Decorate with fruit and mint sprigs.

"Dessert"
Source:
"Helen's Internet Book of British Cooking"

NOTES : Make this a day ahead, so that it has time to steep in its own
juices.
Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 20, 10:45*am, "Dora" > wrote:
> This is very good. *It is best to use a bread with good texture - no
> Wonder bread here!
>
> Dora
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * Summer Pudding/Autumn Pudding
>
> * 1 1/2 * * * * pounds *prepared fruit (see directions)
> * 5 * * * *tablespoons *water
> * 6 * * * * * * * or 8 *slices bread -- crusts removed
> * 4 * * * * * * ounces *sugar
> * * * * * * * * * * * * fresh fruit and mint sprigs, to decorate
>
> The fruit for Summer Pudding is typically a mixture of raspberries,
> strawberries, stoned cherries, redcurrants, blackcurrants,
> gooseberries, rhubarb, blueberries.
>
> For Autumn Pudding, use a mixture of fruits such as apples,
> blackberries, plums and pears.
>
> Gently stew the fruit in the water and sugar until soft but still
> retaining their shape.
>
> Meanwhile, cut a round from one slice of bread to neatly fit in the
> bottom of a 2-pint pudding basin (I use a round bowl) and cut 4-6 of
> the remaining slices into neat fingers. *Arrange the fingers around
> the sides, overlapping them so there are no spaces.
>
> When the fruit is cooked and still hot, pour it gently into the basin,
> being careful not to disturb the bread pieces. *Reserve about 3
> tablespoons of the juice. *When the basin is full, cut the remaining
> bread and use to cover the fruit, to form a lid. *Cover with foil,
> then a plate or saucer which fits just inside the bowl and put a
> weight on top. *Leave the pudding until cold, then put into the
> refrigerator and chill overnight.
>
> To serve, carefully run a knife round the edge to loosen, then invert
> the pudding on to a serving dish. *Pour the reserved juice over the
> top. *Serve cold with cream. *Decorate with fruit and mint sprigs.

> * "Dessert"
> Source:
> * "Helen's Internet Book of British Cooking"
>
> NOTES : Make this a day ahead, so that it has time to steep in its own
> juices.
> Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0

This sounds really good and I'll bet it is very pretty too. And how
nice to read a post that is on-topic and contains no nasty attitude
toward anyone! Thanks, Dora.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Summer Pudding/Autumn Pudding (UK)

"Dora" > wrote in message

> This is very good. It is best to use a bread with good texture - no
> Wonder bread here!
>
> Dora
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Summer Pudding/Autumn Pudding
>
> 1 1/2 pounds prepared fruit (see directions)
> 5 tablespoons water
> 6 or 8 slices bread -- crusts removed
> 4 ounces sugar
> fresh fruit and mint sprigs, to decorate
>
> The fruit for Summer Pudding is typically a mixture of raspberries,
> strawberries, stoned cherries, redcurrants, blackcurrants, gooseberries,
> rhubarb, blueberries.
>
> For Autumn Pudding, use a mixture of fruits such as apples, blackberries,
> plums and pears.
>
> Gently stew the fruit in the water and sugar until soft but still
> retaining their shape.
>
> Meanwhile, cut a round from one slice of bread to neatly fit in the bottom
> of a 2-pint pudding basin (I use a round bowl) and cut 4-6 of the
> remaining slices into neat fingers. Arrange the fingers around the sides,
> overlapping them so there are no spaces.
>
> When the fruit is cooked and still hot, pour it gently into the basin,
> being careful not to disturb the bread pieces. Reserve about 3
> tablespoons of the juice. When the basin is full, cut the remaining bread
> and use to cover the fruit, to form a lid. Cover with foil, then a plate
> or saucer which fits just inside the bowl and put a weight on top. Leave
> the pudding until cold, then put into the refrigerator and chill
> overnight.
>
> To serve, carefully run a knife round the edge to loosen, then invert the
> pudding on to a serving dish. Pour the reserved juice over the top.
> Serve cold with cream. Decorate with fruit and mint sprigs.

> "Dessert"
> Source:
> "Helen's Internet Book of British Cooking"
>
> NOTES : Make this a day ahead, so that it has time to steep in its own
> juices.

The success of Summer Pudding (not Autumn Pudding) depends on the brevity of
the cooking. It should be minimal, just enough to get the juices flowing
from the soft fruit without many of them breaking down. Overcooking results
in a jammy flavour. I have found that frozen fruit on thawing yields a lot
of juice so I use a mix of fresh and frozen raspberries, redcurrants and
blackcurrants and dissolve the sugar in the juice placing the uncooked fruit
directly into the bread-lined basin. The resulting flavour is intense.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:55:59 -0600, "graham" > wrote:

> The success of Summer Pudding (not Autumn Pudding) depends on the brevity of
> the cooking.

Okay, I'll bite. What's Autumn Pudding?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message
> [...]

>> of
>> the cooking. It should be minimal, just enough to get the juices flowing
>> from the soft fruit without many of them breaking down. Overcooking
>> results
>> in a jammy flavour. I have found that frozen fruit on thawing yields a
>> lot
>> of juice so I use a mix of fresh and frozen raspberries, redcurrants and
>> blackcurrants and dissolve the sugar in the juice placing the uncooked
>> fruit
>> directly into the bread-lined basin. The resulting flavour is intense.
>> Graham

> I see the recipe has 5 tablespoons of water. I don't put any water in
> the pot when cooking the fruit. Just rinse it (if it's fresh fruit) and as
> you slowly heat it, it releases enough juice not to stick to the pan.

I certainly don't add water.
Neither would I add rhubarb to a SP.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> "Dora" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> This is very good. It is best to use a bread with good texture -
>>> no
>>> Wonder bread here!
>>>
>>> Dora
>>>

>>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>>
>>> Summer Pudding/Autumn Pudding
>>>
>>> 1 1/2 pounds prepared fruit (see directions)
>>> 5 tablespoons water
>>> 6 or 8 slices bread -- crusts removed
>>> 4 ounces sugar
>>> fresh fruit and mint sprigs, to decorate
>>>
>>> The fruit for Summer Pudding is typically a mixture of
>>> raspberries,
>>> strawberries, stoned cherries, redcurrants, blackcurrants,
>>> gooseberries, rhubarb, blueberries.
>>>
>>> For Autumn Pudding, use a mixture of fruits such as apples,
>>> blackberries, plums and pears.
>>>
>>> Gently stew the fruit in the water and sugar until soft but still
>>> retaining their shape.
>>>
>>> Meanwhile, cut a round from one slice of bread to neatly fit in
>>> the
>>> bottom of a 2-pint pudding basin (I use a round bowl) and cut 4-6
>>> of the remaining slices into neat fingers. Arrange the fingers
>>> around the sides, overlapping them so there are no spaces.
>>>
>>> When the fruit is cooked and still hot, pour it gently into the
>>> basin, being careful not to disturb the bread pieces. Reserve
>>> about 3 tablespoons of the juice. When the basin is full, cut the
>>> remaining bread and use to cover the fruit, to form a lid. Cover
>>> with foil, then a plate or saucer which fits just inside the bowl
>>> and put a weight on top. Leave the pudding until cold, then put
>>> into the refrigerator and chill overnight.
>>>
>>> To serve, carefully run a knife round the edge to loosen, then
>>> invert the pudding on to a serving dish. Pour the reserved juice
>>> over the top. Serve cold with cream. Decorate with fruit and mint
>>> sprigs.

>>> "Dessert"
>>> Source:
>>> "Helen's Internet Book of British Cooking"
>>>
>>> NOTES : Make this a day ahead, so that it has time to steep in its
>>> own juices.

>> The success of Summer Pudding (not Autumn Pudding) depends on the
>> brevity of the cooking. It should be minimal, just enough to get
>> the juices flowing from the soft fruit without many of them
>> breaking
>> down. Overcooking results in a jammy flavour. I have found that
>> frozen fruit on thawing yields a lot of juice so I use a mix of
>> fresh and frozen raspberries, redcurrants and blackcurrants and
>> dissolve the sugar in the juice placing the uncooked fruit directly
>> into the bread-lined basin. The resulting flavour is intense.
>> Graham

> I see the recipe has 5 tablespoons of water. I don't put any water
> in
> the pot when cooking the fruit. Just rinse it (if it's fresh fruit)
> and as you slowly heat it, it releases enough juice not to stick to
> the pan.
>
> Janet

Thanks, Janet. I like Graham's idea, too, re the use of frozen fruit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 12:31:46 -0600, "graham" > wrote:

> I certainly don't add water.
> Neither would I add rhubarb to a SP.
> Graham

You're lucky you can get currants at a good price. The cost of a pint
of currants here is nothing short of highway robbery, if they can be
found at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 12:31:46 -0600, "graham" > wrote:
>
>> I certainly don't add water.
>> Neither would I add rhubarb to a SP.
>> Graham
>>

> You're lucky you can get currants at a good price. The cost of a pint
> of currants here is nothing short of highway robbery, if they can be
> found at all.
>
> --

You don't need many, especially blackcurrants. A typical recipe would be
1 lb raspberries, 6-8oz redcurrants and 4oz blackcurrants with 5oz sugar.
I usually cut back on the redcurrants a bit (I don't like the seeds) and add
some blueberries. You could also add saskatoons.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 14:04:57 -0600, "graham" > wrote:

> I usually cut back on the redcurrants a bit (I don't like the seeds) and add
> some blueberries. You could also add saskatoons.

I had to look up saskatoons. They look like blueberries, but they're
not. We don't get them this far south (AFAIK).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:

> "Dora" > wrote in message
> >
> > This is very good. It is best to use a bread with good texture - no
> > Wonder bread here!
> >
> > Dora
> >

> > * Exported from MasterCook *
> >
> > Summer Pudding/Autumn Pudding
> >
> > 1 1/2 pounds prepared fruit (see directions)
> > 5 tablespoons water
> > 6 or 8 slices bread -- crusts removed
> > 4 ounces sugar
> > fresh fruit and mint sprigs, to decorate
> >
> > The fruit for Summer Pudding is typically a mixture of raspberries,
> > strawberries, stoned cherries, redcurrants, blackcurrants, gooseberries,
> > rhubarb, blueberries.
> >
> > For Autumn Pudding, use a mixture of fruits such as apples, blackberries,
> > plums and pears.
> >
> > Gently stew the fruit in the water and sugar until soft but still
> > retaining their shape.
> >
> > Meanwhile, cut a round from one slice of bread to neatly fit in the bottom
> > of a 2-pint pudding basin (I use a round bowl) and cut 4-6 of the
> > remaining slices into neat fingers. Arrange the fingers around the sides,
> > overlapping them so there are no spaces.
> >
> > When the fruit is cooked and still hot, pour it gently into the basin,
> > being careful not to disturb the bread pieces. Reserve about 3
> > tablespoons of the juice. When the basin is full, cut the remaining bread
> > and use to cover the fruit, to form a lid. Cover with foil, then a plate
> > or saucer which fits just inside the bowl and put a weight on top. Leave
> > the pudding until cold, then put into the refrigerator and chill
> > overnight.
> >
> > To serve, carefully run a knife round the edge to loosen, then invert the
> > pudding on to a serving dish. Pour the reserved juice over the top.
> > Serve cold with cream. Decorate with fruit and mint sprigs.

> > "Dessert"
> > Source:
> > "Helen's Internet Book of British Cooking"
> >
> > NOTES : Make this a day ahead, so that it has time to steep in its own
> > juices.

> The success of Summer Pudding (not Autumn Pudding) depends on the brevity of
> the cooking. It should be minimal, just enough to get the juices flowing
> from the soft fruit without many of them breaking down. Overcooking results
> in a jammy flavour. I have found that frozen fruit on thawing yields a lot
> of juice so I use a mix of fresh and frozen raspberries, redcurrants and
> blackcurrants and dissolve the sugar in the juice placing the uncooked fruit
> directly into the bread-lined basin. The resulting flavour is intense.
> Graham

Have never made Summer Pudding with *cooked* fruit at all. Always raw
(sliced or crushed slightly), incubated with a bit of sugar to draw out
the juices.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> [...]
>> > juices.

>> The success of Summer Pudding (not Autumn Pudding) depends on the brevity
>> of
>> the cooking. It should be minimal, just enough to get the juices flowing
>> from the soft fruit without many of them breaking down. Overcooking
>> results
>> in a jammy flavour. I have found that frozen fruit on thawing yields a
>> lot
>> of juice so I use a mix of fresh and frozen raspberries, redcurrants and
>> blackcurrants and dissolve the sugar in the juice placing the uncooked
>> fruit
>> directly into the bread-lined basin. The resulting flavour is intense.
>> Graham

> Have never made Summer Pudding with *cooked* fruit at all. Always raw
> (sliced or crushed slightly), incubated with a bit of sugar to draw out

Using the juice from the frozen fruit amounts to the same thing.
I think the only reason in the standard recipe to cook the fruit briefly is
to dissolve the sugar in the juice as it runs from the fruit. "Cook" is
rather a strong word. "warm" would perhaps be more apposite.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 19:13:17 -0600, Arri London >
wrote:

> Have never made Summer Pudding with *cooked* fruit at all. Always raw
> (sliced or crushed slightly), incubated with a bit of sugar to draw out
> the juices.

So you macerate your fruit? That seems more reasonable to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 19:48:49 -0600, "graham" > wrote:

> Using the juice from the frozen fruit amounts to the same thing.
> I think the only reason in the standard recipe to cook the fruit briefly is
> to dissolve the sugar in the juice as it runs from the fruit. "Cook" is
> rather a strong word. "warm" would perhaps be more apposite.
> Graham

Thanks for clarifying!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
> >

> > graham wrote:

> >> The success of Summer Pudding (not Autumn Pudding) depends on the brevity
> >> of
> >> the cooking. It should be minimal, just enough to get the juices flowing
> >> from the soft fruit without many of them breaking down. Overcooking
> >> results
> >> in a jammy flavour. I have found that frozen fruit on thawing yields a
> >> lot
> >> of juice so I use a mix of fresh and frozen raspberries, redcurrants and
> >> blackcurrants and dissolve the sugar in the juice placing the uncooked
> >> fruit
> >> directly into the bread-lined basin. The resulting flavour is intense.
> >> Graham

> > Have never made Summer Pudding with *cooked* fruit at all. Always raw
> > (sliced or crushed slightly), incubated with a bit of sugar to draw out
> > the juices.
> >

> Using the juice from the frozen fruit amounts to the same thing.
> I think the only reason in the standard recipe to cook the fruit briefly is
> to dissolve the sugar in the juice as it runs from the fruit. "Cook" is
> rather a strong word. "warm" would perhaps be more apposite.
> Graham

That's probably it. Mrs Beeton's book doesn't even contain anything by
that name. Fair enough; people didn't always eat raw fruit back then.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 19:13:17 -0600, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> > Have never made Summer Pudding with *cooked* fruit at all. Always raw
> > (sliced or crushed slightly), incubated with a bit of sugar to draw out
> > the juices.

> So you macerate your fruit? That seems more reasonable to me.

Always though that was the point of a 'summer pudding'. Many other
traditional puddings are cooked (steamed, boiled or baked), so having
one in the summer with raw ingredients would make more sense.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I just saw Hugh Feathery-Whatever's River Cottage program on TV the
other day and he was demonstrating his take on Eton Mess. Just a
mouth-watering mixture of broken-up meringues, whipped cream and
seasonal soft berries. Can't remember whether any booze went into it.

LW
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lyndon wrote:

> I just saw Hugh Feathery-Whatever's River Cottage program on TV the
> other day and he was demonstrating his take on Eton Mess. Just a
> mouth-watering mixture of broken-up meringues, whipped cream and
> seasonal soft berries. Can't remember whether any booze went into it.

A recent episode of "The Barefoot Contessa" had Eton Mess made the same way.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lyndon Watson" > wrote in message
>I just saw Hugh Feathery-Whatever's River Cottage program on TV the
> other day and he was demonstrating his take on Eton Mess. Just a
> mouth-watering mixture of broken-up meringues, whipped cream and
> seasonal soft berries. Can't remember whether any booze went into it.

No booze!! Comes from the famous boy's school.
It is delicious and, strictly speaking, the fruit should be strawberries.
The trouble is, I rarely find any that are worth eating these days unless
homegrown.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> graham wrote:

>> > Have never made Summer Pudding with *cooked* fruit at all. Always raw
>> > (sliced or crushed slightly), incubated with a bit of sugar to draw out
>> > the juices.
>> >

>> Using the juice from the frozen fruit amounts to the same thing.
>> I think the only reason in the standard recipe to cook the fruit briefly
>> is
>> to dissolve the sugar in the juice as it runs from the fruit. "Cook" is
>> rather a strong word. "warm" would perhaps be more apposite.
>> Graham

> That's probably it. Mrs Beeton's book doesn't even contain anything by
> that name. Fair enough; people didn't always eat raw fruit back then.

Here's another recipe from Delia Smith. Note the very brief cooking.
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/t...r-pudding.html

Graham