Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sour grapes!

Lin bought some Chilean green grapes the other day, brought them home, and
realized that they're very sour. Tonight I cooked some of them with sugar,
water, tarragon, and thinly-sliced leeks as a relish for lobster. Any other
ideas on what to do with them?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> Lin bought some Chilean green grapes the other day, brought them home, and
> realized that they're very sour. Tonight I cooked some of them with sugar,
> water, tarragon, and thinly-sliced leeks as a relish for lobster. Any
> other ideas on what to do with them?
>
> Bob

No, but I'm always interested in where you bought your lobster. Was it live?

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
> Lin bought some Chilean green grapes the other day, brought them home, and
> realized that they're very sour. Tonight I cooked some of them with sugar,
> water, tarragon, and thinly-sliced leeks as a relish for lobster. Any other
> ideas on what to do with them?
>
> Bob

Hmmm... I always taste a grape before buying.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 19:06:41 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> Lin bought some Chilean green grapes the other day, brought them home, and
> realized that they're very sour. Tonight I cooked some of them with sugar,
> water, tarragon, and thinly-sliced leeks as a relish for lobster. Any other
> ideas on what to do with them?

I saw a focaccia that called for grapes the other day. "Sour" grapes
would probably work better than sweet because their sugars concentrate
as they cook.
<http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/everyday-italian/focaccia-with-rosemary-and-grapes-recipe/index.html>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:

> I'm always interested in where you bought your lobster. Was it live?

Yes, I bought it live from the Fins seafood market in Rocklin. Lin is
softhearted when it comes to killing food (she even croons "go to God" when
steaming mussels), but when I told her that the lobster had been bullying
the other lobsters in the tank, she felt better about it.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I saw a focaccia that called for grapes the other day. "Sour" grapes
> would probably work better than sweet because their sugars concentrate
> as they cook.
> <http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/everyday-italian/focaccia-with-rosemary-and-grapes-recipe/index.html>

Thanks very much! I've got a similar recipe for a cake with grapes, but the
focaccia looks even better.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 02:35:32 +0000 (UTC), Nad R wrote:
>
>> Hmmm... I always taste a grape before buying.

> There's a store in Berkeley that will have you arrested for that.
> Help me out Steve or Serene... Berkeley Bowl, was it?
>
> -sw

Does not sound like my kind of store
Senior citizen arrested for eating grape....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-09, Nad R > wrote:

> Does not sound like my kind of store
> Senior citizen arrested for eating grape....

Yeah, Berkeley Bowl is a bit on the extreme side when it comes to food
tasting. The owner always seems to be in the news over this issue.
Kinda funny if you've ever been there. The place has so damn much
food, specially perishable produce, I've no doubt they toss 10X more
food than samplers could ever consume. OTOH, "hippie row" is only a
few blocks away and there's hippies that've been slumming in that area
for 50 yrs! Ol' Berzerkeley... always good for a laugh.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 02:35:32 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
> wrote:

>"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>> Lin bought some Chilean green grapes the other day, brought them home, and
>> realized that they're very sour. Tonight I cooked some of them with sugar,
>> water, tarragon, and thinly-sliced leeks as a relish for lobster. Any other
>> ideas on what to do with them?
>>
>> Bob

>Hmmm... I always taste a grape before buying.

Keyboard Kooks don't.
Member

Tonight I cooked some of them with sugar,
water, tarragon, and thinly-sliced leeks as a relish for lobster. Any other
ideas on what to do with them?I cooked some of them with sugar,
water, tarragon, and thinly-sliced leeks as a relish for lobster. Any other
ideas on what to do with them?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04/08/2011 07:57 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 02:35:32 +0000 (UTC), Nad R wrote:
>
>> Hmmm... I always taste a grape before buying.

> There's a store in Berkeley that will have you arrested for that.
> Help me out Steve or Serene... Berkeley Bowl, was it?

I think so, though they're fine with you tasting food if you ask first.
They walk around with little knives and will even cut open an apple or a
melon for you to try. This meshes perfectly with what my mother taught
me: If you ask first, it's fine. If you take without asking, it's stealing.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy > wrote:

>On 04/08/2011 07:57 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

>> On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 02:35:32 +0000 (UTC), Nad R wrote:

>>> Hmmm... I always taste a grape before buying.

>> There's a store in Berkeley that will have you arrested for that.
>> Help me out Steve or Serene... Berkeley Bowl, was it?

>I think so, though they're fine with you tasting food if you ask first.
>They walk around with little knives and will even cut open an apple or a
>melon for you to try. This meshes perfectly with what my mother taught
>me: If you ask first, it's fine. If you take without asking, it's stealing.

I have not heard of Berkeley Bowl having individuals arrested for
sampling without permission. There was however a story about them
making such an individual persona non grata.

(Why this story became newsworthy, I don't recall.)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04/09/2011 10:37 AM, Steve Pope wrote:
> Serene > wrote:

>>> There's a store in Berkeley that will have you arrested for that.
>>> Help me out Steve or Serene... Berkeley Bowl, was it?

>> I think so, though they're fine with you tasting food if you ask first.
>> They walk around with little knives and will even cut open an apple or a
>> melon for you to try. This meshes perfectly with what my mother taught
>> me: If you ask first, it's fine. If you take without asking, it's stealing.

> I have not heard of Berkeley Bowl having individuals arrested for
> sampling without permission. There was however a story about them
> making such an individual persona non grata.

Yeah, I didn't remember the details. I do remember thinking "Yeah, so
what? This person's mother didn't teach him that taking without asking
is stealing?"

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> On 04/09/2011 10:37 AM, Steve Pope wrote:
>> Serene > wrote:

>>> I think so, though they're fine with you tasting food if you ask first.
>>> They walk around with little knives and will even cut open an apple or a
>>> melon for you to try. This meshes perfectly with what my mother taught
>>> me: If you ask first, it's fine. If you take without asking, it's stealing.

>> I have not heard of Berkeley Bowl having individuals arrested for
>> sampling without permission. There was however a story about them
>> making such an individual persona non grata.

> Yeah, I didn't remember the details. I do remember thinking "Yeah, so
> what? This person's mother didn't teach him that taking without asking is stealing?"
>
> Serene

Incorrect, my momma taught me to sample the grapes when I was very young
Momma was smart, at least I never bought sour grapes and complained about
it.
A sucker born every minute and I bet you paid top dollar for them sour
grapes.

Also to add, I also tear the tops of corn husk to see if the tips of the
ears are full and not brown. If corn was not perfect i put it back. Mamma
taught me well

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04/09/2011 03:19 PM, Nad R wrote:
> Serene > wrote:

>>> I have not heard of Berkeley Bowl having individuals arrested for
>>> sampling without permission. There was however a story about them
>>> making such an individual persona non grata.

>> Yeah, I didn't remember the details. I do remember thinking "Yeah, so
>> what? This person's mother didn't teach him that taking without asking is stealing?"
>>
>> Serene

> Incorrect, my momma taught me to sample the grapes when I was very young
> Momma was smart, at least I never bought sour grapes and complained about
> it.
> A sucker born every minute and I bet you paid top dollar for them sour
> grapes.

No, because if I want to test the grapes, I ask, and they give me some
to taste. I've shopped there for 8 years, and they know about this, and
yet I haven't been banned. The difference is that I asked (and I suspect
the person who was banned was doing more than testing a grape here and
there; I've seen people walking through the produce department munching
away on food they haven't paid for yet).

> Also to add, I also tear the tops of corn husk to see if the tips of the
> ears are full and not brown. If corn was not perfect i put it back. Mamma
> taught me well

That's not stealing; that's properly inspecting the food you are
deciding whether or not to buy.

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/04/2011 6:19 PM, Nad R wrote:

> Incorrect, my momma taught me to sample the grapes when I was very young
> Momma was smart, at least I never bought sour grapes and complained about
> it.
> A sucker born every minute and I bet you paid top dollar for them sour
> grapes.
>
> Also to add, I also tear the tops of corn husk to see if the tips of the
> ears are full and not brown. If corn was not perfect i put it back. Mamma
> taught me well

I hate it when people tear the tops off born. I prefer my corn on the
cob to be BBQed in the husk. I I can judge the quality of the cob by
feeling through the husk at the tips. I don't want cobs that have been
ripped open. AFAIAC, a cob that has had the ends pulled open is a ruined
cob.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 09/04/2011 6:19 PM, Nad R wrote:
>

>> Incorrect, my momma taught me to sample the grapes when I was very young
>> Momma was smart, at least I never bought sour grapes and complained about
>> it.
>> A sucker born every minute and I bet you paid top dollar for them sour
>> grapes.
>>
>> Also to add, I also tear the tops of corn husk to see if the tips of the
>> ears are full and not brown. If corn was not perfect i put it back. Mamma
>> taught me well
>>

> I hate it when people tear the tops off born. I prefer my corn on the cob
> to be BBQed in the husk. I I can judge the quality of the cob by feeling
> through the husk at the tips. I don't want cobs that have been ripped
> open. AFAIAC, a cob that has had the ends pulled open is a ruined cob.

Serene agree with me... It is inspecting the corn not stealing

I have seen full tips and be rotted under it. BBQing probably hides this
fowl corn.
Sometimes a nice poke on a kernel to see if it is juicy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> On 04/09/2011 03:19 PM, Nad R wrote:
>> Serene > wrote:

>>> Yeah, I didn't remember the details. I do remember thinking "Yeah, so
>>> what? This person's mother didn't teach him that taking without asking is stealing?"
>>>
>>> Serene

>> Incorrect, my momma taught me to sample the grapes when I was very young
>> Momma was smart, at least I never bought sour grapes and complained about
>> it.
>> A sucker born every minute and I bet you paid top dollar for them sour
>> grapes.

> No, because if I want to test the grapes, I ask, and they give me some to
> taste. I've shopped there for 8 years, and they know about this, and yet
> I haven't been banned. The difference is that I asked (and I suspect the
> person who was banned was doing more than testing a grape here and there;
> I've seen people walking through the produce department munching away on
> food they haven't paid for yet).
>

>> Also to add, I also tear the tops of corn husk to see if the tips of the
>> ears are full and not brown. If corn was not perfect i put it back. Mamma
>> taught me well
>>

> That's not stealing; that's properly inspecting the food you are deciding
> whether or not to buy.
>
> Serene

So is one single grape out of bunch of them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nadir wrote:

>> Lin bought some Chilean green grapes the other day, brought them home,
>> and realized that they're very sour. Tonight I cooked some of them with
>> sugar, water, tarragon, and thinly-sliced leeks as a relish for lobster.
>> Any other ideas on what to do with them?

> Hmmm... I always taste a grape before buying.

I'm sure that's a good practice where allowed, but since I can't go back in
time and ask Lin to taste before she buys, it's a pretty useless input to
this thread. I was asking for advice on what can be done with the grapes I
have, not about how to justify grazing on stolen produce.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
> Nadir wrote:
>
>>> Lin bought some Chilean green grapes the other day, brought them home,
>>> and realized that they're very sour. Tonight I cooked some of them with
>>> sugar, water, tarragon, and thinly-sliced leeks as a relish for lobster.
>>> Any other ideas on what to do with them?

>> Hmmm... I always taste a grape before buying.

> I'm sure that's a good practice where allowed, but since I can't go back in
> time and ask Lin to taste before she buys, it's a pretty useless input to
> this thread. I was asking for advice on what can be done with the grapes I
> have, not about how to justify grazing on stolen produce.
>
> Bob

compost