Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Round-eye BBQ pork

"notbob" > wrote in message
> The consumer, not the meat. The kind used on banh mi's.
>
> Yeah, char siu, siu mei, bbq pork, whatever. I've got a dozen
> recipes, most so in-tents, they're freakin' black. None of those
> Chinese resto versions with a stop-sign-red food coloring candied bark
> us round-eyes have come to expect. That's what all the Viet places
> that serve up a killer bbq pork banh mi serve. Anyone got a wimpy
> white guy recipe?

Er.. you are looking for a recipe with plenty of artificial colouring in it?
And you don't want it too authentic?

Tim W

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 31, 3:22*am, "Tim W" > wrote:
> "notbob" > wrote in message

> > The consumer, not the meat. *The kind used on banh mi's.

> > Yeah, char siu, siu mei, bbq pork, whatever. *I've got a dozen
> > recipes, most so in-tents, they're freakin' black. *None of those
> > Chinese resto versions with a stop-sign-red food coloring candied bark
> > us round-eyes have come to expect. *That's what all the Viet places
> > that serve up a killer bbq pork banh mi serve. *Anyone got a wimpy
> > white guy recipe?

> Er.. you are looking for a recipe with plenty of artificial colouring in it?
> And you don't want it too authentic?

Hence sf's suggestion to use "catsup."

> Tim W

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message
On Mar 31, 3:22 am, "Tim W" > wrote:
> "notbob" > wrote in message
>

> > Yeah, char siu, siu mei, bbq pork, whatever. I've got a dozen
> > recipes, most so in-tents, they're freakin' black. None of those
> > Chinese resto versions with a stop-sign-red food coloring candied bark
> > us round-eyes have come to expect. That's what all the Viet places
> > that serve up a killer bbq pork banh mi serve. Anyone got a wimpy
> > white guy recipe?

> Er.. you are looking for a recipe with plenty of artificial colouring in
> it?
> And you don't want it too authentic?

Hence sf's suggestion to use "catsup."
>----------------------

Oh yeah. A marinade of ketchup, lots of sugar and soy sauce.

It's a strange place this group.

I haven't been here long but already I am beginning to feel like I might be
trapped in a bizarre looking glass world or a kind of nightmare future where
people think they are enjoying cooking but actually all they do is watch it
on telly then mix up different combinations of processed foods and tinned
products.

Tim W

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tim W wrote:

>> Yeah, char siu, siu mei, bbq pork, whatever. I've got a dozen
>> recipes, most so in-tents, they're freakin' black. None of those
>> Chinese resto versions with a stop-sign-red food coloring candied bark
>> us round-eyes have come to expect. That's what all the Viet places
>> that serve up a killer bbq pork banh mi serve. Anyone got a wimpy
>> white guy recipe?
>>

> Er.. you are looking for a recipe with plenty of artificial colouring in
> it? And you don't want it too authentic?

Authentically, Chinese roast pork *does* have lots of red food coloring.
(Red is a "lucky" color in Chinese superstition.) But I'm not at all clear
about what notbob wants: Does he want Chinese or Vietnamese? I've got a
pretty good recipe for the Chinese stuff, but I've never seen exactly what
he's talking about when he brought "Viet places" into it.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 12:45:53 +0100, Tim W wrote:

> "Bryan" > wrote in message
> On Mar 31, 3:22 am, "Tim W" > wrote:
>> "notbob" > wrote in message
>>

>>> Yeah, char siu, siu mei, bbq pork, whatever. I've got a dozen
>>> recipes, most so in-tents, they're freakin' black. None of those
>>> Chinese resto versions with a stop-sign-red food coloring candied bark
>>> us round-eyes have come to expect. That's what all the Viet places
>>> that serve up a killer bbq pork banh mi serve. Anyone got a wimpy
>>> white guy recipe?

>> Er.. you are looking for a recipe with plenty of artificial colouring in
>> it?
>> And you don't want it too authentic?

> Hence sf's suggestion to use "catsup."
>>----------------------

> Oh yeah. A marinade of ketchup, lots of sugar and soy sauce.
>
> It's a strange place this group.
>
> I haven't been here long but already I am beginning to feel like I might be
> trapped in a bizarre looking glass world or a kind of nightmare future where
> people think they are enjoying cooking but actually all they do is watch it
> on telly then mix up different combinations of processed foods and tinned
> products.
>
> Tim W

i suggest you stop reading right away to avoid having your beautiful mind
sullied.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 11:45:49 -0400, I_am_Tosk
> wrote:

> And then there's the other side of the isle.. The somewhat detached from
> reality food network judge wannabees

Who haven't come up with a recipe yet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 12:45:53 +0100, Tim W wrote:
>
>> It's a strange place this group.
>>
>> I haven't been here long but already I am beginning to feel like I might
>> be
>> trapped in a bizarre looking glass world or a kind of nightmare future
>> where
>> people think they are enjoying cooking but actually all they do is watch
>> it
>> on telly then mix up different combinations of processed foods and tinned
>> products.
>>

> i suggest you stop reading right away to avoid having your beautiful mind
> sullied.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I can't. Already it is exercising a strange and peverse fascination for me.
I have to read it several times a day.

Tim w

Round-eye BBQ pork dsi1[_12_] General Cooking 0 31-03-2011 07:28 PM
Eye of round brooklyn1 General Cooking 2 01-06-2010 07:55 PM
Eye of round Zz Yzx General Cooking 0 30-05-2010 05:25 PM
Eye of round Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] General Cooking 1 29-05-2010 12:55 PM
pork top round roast aem General Cooking 7 12-03-2005 10:01 AM