Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Separating coffee filters

Teach me how to separate coffee filters. DH makes the morning coffee but I
try to get everything ready to go for him. Just now I had quite a battle
with getting a 'single' filter apart. I could feel that there were two
stuck together but it took quite a bit of ruffling, slipping, sliding and
growling to get just one loose from its tenacious partner.
Is there a neat trick that Moma didn't tell me? Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 3/8/2011 10:10 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
> Teach me how to separate coffee filters. DH makes the morning coffee but
> I try to get everything ready to go for him. Just now I had quite a
> battle with getting a 'single' filter apart. I could feel that there
> were two stuck together but it took quite a bit of ruffling, slipping,
> sliding and growling to get just one loose from its tenacious partner.
> Is there a neat trick that Moma didn't tell me? Polly

Try 'inverting' a small stack of the filters a few times in a row, as if
turning a sweater or T-shirt inside-out then back right-side again.
That might work, but I think it may depend on the the type of filter.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Polly Esther" > wrote:

> Teach me how to separate coffee filters.

> Is there a neat trick that Moma didn't tell me? Polly

I discovered once that I can get one from the stack pretty easily with a
wet finger. So now I make sure my finger is a little wet.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel > wrote:

> "Polly Esther" > wrote:

>> Is there a neat trick that Moma didn't tell me? Polly

>I discovered once that I can get one from the stack pretty easily with a
>wet finger. So now I make sure my finger is a little wet.

Toss the entire stack of filters onto the floor, or into a large
cardboard box. They can't ALL stick together. At least one filter
will become separated from its brethren. Use that filter.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-03-09, Polly Esther > wrote:

> Is there a neat trick that Moma didn't tell me? Polly

Be smarter than the filters.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> Teach me how to separate coffee filters. DH makes the morning coffee but
> I try to get everything ready to go for him. Just now I had quite a
> battle with getting a 'single' filter apart. I could feel that there were
> two stuck together but it took quite a bit of ruffling, slipping, sliding
> and growling to get just one loose from its tenacious partner.
> Is there a neat trick that Moma didn't tell me? Polly

What kind of filters are they? I don't use them a lot but never had a
problem with them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 22:10:15 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> Teach me how to separate coffee filters. DH makes the morning coffee but I
> try to get everything ready to go for him. Just now I had quite a battle
> with getting a 'single' filter apart. I could feel that there were two
> stuck together but it took quite a bit of ruffling, slipping, sliding and
> growling to get just one loose from its tenacious partner.
> Is there a neat trick that Moma didn't tell me? Polly

It's like separating the sides of plastic vegetable bags, rub them
between your thumb and index finger. If you have to, wet your
fingers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 22:10:15 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

>Teach me how to separate coffee filters. DH makes the morning coffee but I
>try to get everything ready to go for him. Just now I had quite a battle
>with getting a 'single' filter apart. I could feel that there were two
>stuck together but it took quite a bit of ruffling, slipping, sliding and
>growling to get just one loose from its tenacious partner.
> Is there a neat trick that Moma didn't tell me? Polly

Use a rubber or silicone jar opener (a thin sheet, usually about five
inches square). Just stick one edge of the stuck-together filters
between the folded-over rubber opener, apply pressure in opposite
directions with your fingers, and they'll seperate easily.

- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> Polly

Same Polly Esther from RCTQ?

Brian Christiansen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i once was given a fresh new eye shadow want and was told to hold filters
with them cupped in one hand, then rake wand across, and i was shocked to
see it worked, it was one of those stiff roulnd pad things, not a brush, Lee
"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> Teach me how to separate coffee filters. DH makes the morning coffee but
> I try to get everything ready to go for him. Just now I had quite a
> battle with getting a 'single' filter apart. I could feel that there were
> two stuck together but it took quite a bit of ruffling, slipping, sliding
> and growling to get just one loose from its tenacious partner.
> Is there a neat trick that Moma didn't tell me? Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Storrmmee" > wrote:
> i once was given a fresh new eye shadow want and was told to hold filters
> with them cupped in one hand, then rake wand across, and i was shocked to
> see it worked, it was one of those stiff roulnd pad things, not a brush, Lee
> "Polly Esther" > wrote in message
>> Teach me how to separate coffee filters. DH makes the morning coffee but
>> I try to get everything ready to go for him. Just now I had quite a
>> battle with getting a 'single' filter apart. I could feel that there were
>> two stuck together but it took quite a bit of ruffling, slipping, sliding
>> and growling to get just one loose from its tenacious partner.
>> Is there a neat trick that Moma didn't tell me? Polly

I use a reusable filter and just wash it after use. Seems to work and would
be a lot cheaper in the long run. I have not purchased paper filters in
years. Is there a reason for the paper filters in an office setting?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 9, 12:02*am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2011-03-09, Polly Esther > wrote:
>
> > * * Is there a neat trick that Moma didn't tell me? *Polly

> Be smarter than the filters.
>
> nb

LOL. great minds think alike.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 9, 4:42*am, Nad R > wrote:
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> > i once was given a fresh new eye shadow want and was told to hold filters
> > with them cupped in one hand, then rake wand across, and i was shocked to
> > see it worked, it was one of those stiff roulnd pad things, not a brush, Lee
> > "Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> >> Teach me how to separate coffee filters. *DH makes the morning coffee but
> >> I try to get everything ready to go for him. *Just now I had quite a
> >> battle with getting a 'single' filter apart. *I could feel that there were
> >> two stuck together but it took quite a bit of ruffling, slipping, sliding
> >> and growling to get just one loose from its tenacious partner.
> >> * *Is there a neat trick that Moma didn't tell me? *Polly

> I use a reusable filter and just wash it after use. Seems to work and would
> be a lot cheaper in the long run. I have not purchased paper filters in
> years. Is there a reason for the paper filters in an office setting?

Yes, there is: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2029499

The problem isn't getting them separated, but that doing so usually
messes up one or more pleats, which you have to carefully get folded
back into shape or risk the collapse of the filter, allowing grounds
into the pot. Cone filters don't have that problem, but are
significantly more expensive, and my Mr. Coffee uses the basket type.

> --
> Enjoy Life... Nad R *(Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 9, 8:05*am, Bryan > wrote:
> On Mar 9, 4:42*am, Nad R > wrote:
>

> > "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> > > i once was given a fresh new eye shadow want and was told to hold filters
> > > with them cupped in one hand, then rake wand across, and i was shocked to
> > > see it worked, it was one of those stiff roulnd pad things, not a brush, Lee

> > I use a reusable filter and just wash it after use. Seems to work and would
> > be a lot cheaper in the long run. I have not purchased paper filters in
> > years. Is there a reason for the paper filters in an office setting?

> Yes, there is:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2029499
>
> The problem isn't getting them separated, but that doing so usually
> messes up one or more pleats, which you have to carefully get folded
> back into shape or risk the collapse of the filter, allowing grounds
> into the pot. *Cone filters don't have that problem, but are
> significantly more expensive, and my Mr. Coffee uses the basket type.
>

> > --
> > Enjoy Life... Nad R *(Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

> --Bryan

i don't know. This isn't something I've ever even thought about. Maybe
I just go thru so many filters they don't have time to stick together.
This isn't an issue for me at all. The biggest problem I have making
coffee in the morning is being able to focus on the task at hand
before I've had my coffee!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yes, Brian. They'll be surprised to find the gate's open and I'm out.
Polly

"Brian Christiansen" <>
> Same Polly Esther from RCTQ?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2011 11:21 PM, Sky wrote:
> On 3/8/2011 10:10 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
>> Teach me how to separate coffee filters. DH makes the morning coffee but
>> I try to get everything ready to go for him. Just now I had quite a
>> battle with getting a 'single' filter apart. I could feel that there
>> were two stuck together but it took quite a bit of ruffling, slipping,
>> sliding and growling to get just one loose from its tenacious partner.
>> Is there a neat trick that Moma didn't tell me? Polly

> Try 'inverting' a small stack of the filters a few times in a row, as if
> turning a sweater or T-shirt inside-out then back right-side again. That
> might work, but I think it may depend on the the type of filter.
>
> Sky

I don't usually find it difficult to separate out one filter with my
fingers but, what is the problem if you pull out two? Apart from
wastefulness, of course, two seem to work as well as one.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

"Not": obvious change in "Reply To"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" wrote:

>Teach me how to separate coffee filters. DH makes the morning coffee but I
>try to get everything ready to go for him. Just now I had quite a battle
>with getting a 'single' filter apart. I could feel that there were two
>stuck together but it took quite a bit of ruffling, slipping, sliding and
>growling to get just one loose from its tenacious partner.
>
>Is there a neat trick that Moma didn't tell me?

Polly, your Moma didn't teach you about blow jobs?
A blow job will get em off everytime.
Really, just pucker up and blow gently around the rim
until one pops off, won't mess up the pleats either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2011 11:10 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
> Teach me how to separate coffee filters. DH makes the morning coffee but
> I try to get everything ready to go for him. Just now I had quite a
> battle with getting a 'single' filter apart. I could feel that there
> were two stuck together but it took quite a bit of ruffling, slipping,
> sliding and growling to get just one loose from its tenacious partner.
> Is there a neat trick that Moma didn't tell me? Polly

Try other manufacturers? Some seem to be cheaply made and you have to
fiddle with them to separate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan > wrote:
> On Mar 9, 4:42 am, Nad R > wrote:
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>>> i once was given a fresh new eye shadow want and was told to hold filters
>>> with them cupped in one hand, then rake wand across, and i was shocked to
>>> see it worked, it was one of those stiff roulnd pad things, not a brush, Lee

>> I use a reusable filter and just wash it after use. Seems to work and would
>> be a lot cheaper in the long run. I have not purchased paper filters in
>> years. Is there a reason for the paper filters in an office setting?

> Yes, there is: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2029499
>
> The problem isn't getting them separated, but that doing so usually
> messes up one or more pleats, which you have to carefully get folded
> back into shape or risk the collapse of the filter, allowing grounds
> into the pot. Cone filters don't have that problem, but are
> significantly more expensive, and my Mr. Coffee uses the basket type.
>>
>> --
>> Enjoy Life... Nad R (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

> --Bryan

The article states six cups a day to raise cholesterol. I only drink two
cups a day. I make about four cups at home and put the rest in a thermos
bottle and reheat in a microwave the next day. So I see no reason to stop
using my reusable filter. I might end up buying a French Press some day
since I do not make much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 9, 7:05*am, Bryan > wrote:
> On Mar 9, 4:42*am, Nad R > wrote:
>

> > "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> > > i once was given a fresh new eye shadow want and was told to hold filters
> > > with them cupped in one hand, then rake wand across, and i was shocked to
> > > see it worked, it was one of those stiff roulnd pad things, not a brush, Lee

> > I use a reusable filter and just wash it after use. Seems to work and would
> > be a lot cheaper in the long run. I have not purchased paper filters in
> > years. Is there a reason for the paper filters in an office setting?

> Yes, there is:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2029499
>
> The problem isn't getting them separated, but that doing so usually
> messes up one or more pleats, which you have to carefully get folded
> back into shape or risk the collapse of the filter, allowing grounds
> into the pot. *Cone filters don't have that problem, but are
> significantly more expensive, and my Mr. Coffee uses the basket type.
>

> > --
> > Enjoy Life... Nad R *(Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

> --Bryan- Hide quoted text -

If this is in an office, investigate buying pre-measured sealed
packets of coffee, not loose coffee that you need paper filters for.
Much easier; no mess. Our office buys them from discountcoffee.com.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> > Teach me how to separate coffee filters. DH makes the morning coffee but
> > I try to get everything ready to go for him. Just now I had quite a
> > battle with getting a 'single' filter apart. I could feel that there were
> > two stuck together but it took quite a bit of ruffling, slipping, sliding
> > and growling to get just one loose from its tenacious partner.
> > Is there a neat trick that Moma didn't tell me? Polly

> What kind of filters are they? I don't use them a lot but never had a
> problem with them.

Presumably, cheap filters. The slightly more expensive "basket" filters
separate much better, but the huge packs from Costco are more difficult.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 05:05:03 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

>The problem isn't getting them separated, but that doing so usually
>messes up one or more pleats, which you have to carefully get folded
>back into shape or risk the collapse of the filter, allowing grounds
>into the pot. Cone filters don't have that problem, but are
>significantly more expensive, and my Mr. Coffee uses the basket type.

Coffee afficionados agree that cone filter machines yield a better
brew with less coffee.

I buy about a dozen Mr. Coffee type machines each year, and always
have to use a lot more coffee in them to get a satisfacory brew.

With either type of basket and a paper filter, it's advisable to
thoroughly wet the filter (under the hot water tap) so that it adheres
to the basket walls before adding the coffee. That way, filter
collapse should never occur.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
>Teach me how to separate coffee filters.

I'm surprised that most people don't have a problem with this...I certainly do
with my stacks of small filters for an individual basket-type (Black & Decker)
coffee maker.

On a whim, I just took a Post-It and easily pulled one filter from the stack.
Talk about something that's ubiquitous in an office environment.

Art
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2011 6:10 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
> Teach me how to separate coffee filters. DH makes the morning coffee but
> I try to get everything ready to go for him. Just now I had quite a
> battle with getting a 'single' filter apart. I could feel that there
> were two stuck together but it took quite a bit of ruffling, slipping,
> sliding and growling to get just one loose from its tenacious partner.
> Is there a neat trick that Moma didn't tell me? Polly

Hold on to the stack near the edge and bend the other side back to make
the filters slide on each other. Grab the other side and straighten the
stack out which causes air to go between each filter. Flex a few times
to loosen up the stack and then release the first side and flex a few
times. The filters should separate easily.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I sincerely thank you. Several of the ideas worked great. Polly

"dsi1" <wrote>
> Hold on to the stack near the edge and bend the other side back to make
> the filters slide on each other. Grab the other side and straighten the
> stack out which causes air to go between each filter. Flex a few times
> to loosen up the stack and then release the first side and flex a few
> times. The filters should separate easily.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> Teach me how to separate coffee filters. DH makes the morning coffee but
> I try to get everything ready to go for him. Just now I had quite a
> battle with getting a 'single' filter apart. I could feel that there were
> two stuck together but it took quite a bit of ruffling, slipping, sliding
> and growling to get just one loose from its tenacious partner.
> Is there a neat trick that Moma didn't tell me? Polly

A gentle puff of breath will do it.

sharkman

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 9, 10:42*am, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On Mar 9, 7:05*am, Bryan > wrote:

> > > I use a reusable filter and just wash it after use. Seems to work and would
> > > be a lot cheaper in the long run. I have not purchased paper filters in
> > > years. Is there a reason for the paper filters in an office setting?

> > Yes, there is:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2029499

> > The problem isn't getting them separated, but that doing so usually
> > messes up one or more pleats, which you have to carefully get folded
> > back into shape or risk the collapse of the filter, allowing grounds
> > into the pot. *Cone filters don't have that problem, but are
> > significantly more expensive, and my Mr. Coffee uses the basket type.

> > > --
> > > Enjoy Life... Nad R *(Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

> > --Bryan- Hide quoted text -

> If this is in an office, investigate buying pre-measured sealed
> packets of coffee, not loose coffee that you need paper filters for.
> Much easier; no mess. *Our office buys them from discountcoffee.com.

You do pay significantly more that way, which could be worth it in an
office where the employees' time is money.

I even buy loose tea instead of tea bags.

> N.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bwrrrrryan wrote:

>On Mar 9, 10:42*am, Nancy2 > wrote:

>> > Yes, there is:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2029499

>> > The problem isn't getting them separated, but that doing so usually
>> > messes up one or more pleats, which you have to carefully get folded
>> > back into shape or risk the collapse of the filter, allowing grounds
>> > into the pot. *Cone filters don't have that problem, but are
>> > significantly more expensive, and my Mr. Coffee uses the basket type.

>> > --Bryan- Hide quoted text -

>> If this is in an office, investigate buying pre-measured sealed
>> packets of coffee, not loose coffee that you need paper filters for.
>> Much easier; no mess. *Our office buys them from discountcoffee.com.

>You do pay significantly more that way, which could be worth it in an
>office where the employees' time is money.

That's not true, measured coffee in bags is no more costly than loose
coffee because by weight less is needed to brew the same quantity due
to it being nitrogen packed.

>I even buy loose tea instead of tea bags.
>Bwrrrryan

That's not a good analogy... the price of tea has nothing to do with
whether it's loose or tea bags... either way can be cheap or
expensive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 15, 2:54*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> Bwrrrrryan wrote:

> >> If this is in an office, investigate buying pre-measured sealed
> >> packets of coffee, not loose coffee that you need paper filters for.
> >> Much easier; no mess. Our office buys them from discountcoffee.com.

> >You do pay significantly more that way, which could be worth it in an
> >office where the employees' time is money.

> That's not true, measured coffee in bags is no more costly than loose
> coffee because by weight less is needed to brew the same quantity due
> to it being nitrogen packed.
>
> >I even buy loose tea instead of tea bags.
> >Bwrrrryan

> That's not a good analogy... the price of tea has nothing to do with
> whether it's loose or tea bags... either way can be cheap or
> expensive.

Why do you write stuff that's plainly false?

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bwrrrryan wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Bwrrrrryan wrote:

>> >You do pay significantly more that way, which could be worth it in an
>> >office where the employees' time is money.

>> That's not true, measured coffee in bags is no more costly than loose
>> coffee because by weight less is needed to brew the same quantity due
>> to it being nitrogen packed.
>>
>> >I even buy loose tea instead of tea bags.
>> >Bwrrrryan

>> That's not a good analogy... the price of tea has nothing to do with
>> whether it's loose or tea bags... either way can be cheap or
>> expensive.

>Why do you write stuff that's plainly false?
>
>--Bwrrrryan

There is nothing false about your being a filthy faggot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
>,
Bryan > wrote:

[attributions deleted]

> > >You do pay significantly more that way, which could be worth it in an
> > >office where the employees' time is money.

> > That's not true, measured coffee in bags is no more costly than loose
> > coffee because by weight less is needed to brew the same quantity due
> > to it being nitrogen packed.
> >
> > >I even buy loose tea instead of tea bags.

> > That's not a good analogy... the price of tea has nothing to do with
> > whether it's loose or tea bags... either way can be cheap or
> > expensive.

> Why do you write stuff that's plainly false?

In order to provoke a reaction. It often works, too. I try not to
reply, although I often fail.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 9, 9:18*am, wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 05:05:03 -0800 (PST), Bryan
>
> > wrote:
> >The problem isn't getting them separated, but that doing so usually
> >messes up one or more pleats, which you have to carefully get folded
> >back into shape or risk the collapse of the filter, allowing grounds
> >into the pot. *Cone filters don't have that problem, but are
> >significantly more expensive, and my Mr. Coffee uses the basket type.

> Coffee afficionados agree that cone filter machines yield a better
> brew with less coffee.
>
> I buy about a dozen Mr. Coffee type machines each year, and always
> have to use a lot more coffee in them to get a satisfacory brew.
>
> With either type of basket and a paper filter, it's advisable to
> thoroughly wet the filter (under the hot water tap) so that it adheres
> to the basket walls before adding the coffee. That way, filter
> collapse should never occur.
>
> -- Larry

Do you actually go thru that many coffee makers, or are you buying
them for your office or? If they are for your home, I'd consider a
different coffee maker! They should last a little longer than yours
seem to!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 15:30:45 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

>> I buy about a dozen Mr. Coffee type machines each year, and always
>> have to use a lot more coffee in them to get a satisfacory brew.

>Do you actually go thru that many coffee makers, or are you buying
>them for your office or? If they are for your home, I'd consider a
>different coffee maker! They should last a little longer than yours
>seem to!

We don't have any use for pod coffee makers, and little 4 or 5 cup
hotel makers don't make enough for both of us to have large cups. Plus
we like full-flavored coffee.

So whenever we travel, as soon as we check into our hotel, we find the
local drug store and buy a 10-cup Mr. Coffee-type machine for ~$15 to
use in the room. It pays for itself in two days, compared to CharBucks
and such. When we leave, we leave the machine behind in the hotel
room.

We've been doing this for over twenty years, so I'm sort of the Johnny
Appleseed of coffee makers. 8

At home, we have a Gaggia Classic, a Jura E-75, and a Technivorm.
They're all holding up just fine, thanks.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:

>So whenever we travel, as soon as we check into our hotel, we find the
>local drug store and buy a 10-cup Mr. Coffee-type machine for ~$15 to
>use in the room. It pays for itself in two days, compared to CharBucks
>and such. When we leave, we leave the machine behind in the hotel
>room.

Wow. Personally it gives me the jeebies to buy, use, and discard
something so casually. You know that slave laborers make those
coffee makers?

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> Nancy Young > wrote:

>> They wouldn't be better off making no wages, besides, I doubt the
>> coffee makers wind up in the trash. Someone takes it home.

> Could be, I just have a strong barrier to discarding manufactured
> things that are capable of more permanent use. I do know some
> allowances
> must be made when traveling, but I am pretty much satisfied with
> traveling with a filter cone and filters and not throwing away an
> entire coffeemaker. Last I checked society was having major issues
> disposing of plastic-based trash.

I'm with you on that. I genuinely feel that the machine finds a
new home, that people practically living on tips don't just toss
perfectly good coffee machines. What do I know. Googling
around it seems like they might hold onto it in case you just forgot
it, and after some time they give the stuff to charity or the
employees.

If I was to do that, I'd now be inclined to leave a note that it's free
to a good home so they know I don't want it back.

nancy