Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Baking chocolate substitute?

I started to make brownies, but had only 1/2 a square of unsweetened
Baker's in the house. (I think the other resident has found my
stash....)

Is there a method of subbing cocoa powder and in what proportions?
I wanted to run next door to borrow some, but...... was too
embarrassed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 17:54:45 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

>I started to make brownies, but had only 1/2 a square of unsweetened
>Baker's in the house. (I think the other resident has found my
>stash....)
>
>Is there a method of subbing cocoa powder and in what proportions?
>I wanted to run next door to borrow some, but...... was too
>embarrassed.

Handy page to bookmark-
http://www.joyofbaking.com/IngredientSubstitution.html

3 Tbls powder, 1 Tbl butter [or other shortening] = 1 oz unsweetened
choc.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
>I started to make brownies, but had only 1/2 a square of unsweetened
> Baker's in the house. (I think the other resident has found my
> stash....)
>
> Is there a method of subbing cocoa powder and in what proportions?
> I wanted to run next door to borrow some, but...... was too
> embarrassed.

Yes. You have to add some fat like butter or shortening. I can't remember
the exact proportions but if you have Hershey's cocoa it should have the
instructions on the back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 15, 6:04*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

> Handy page to bookmark-http://www.joyofbaking.com/IngredientSubstitution.html
>
> 3 Tbls powder, 1 Tbl butter [or other shortening] = 1 oz unsweetened
> choc.

great link....thanks!