Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dammit Cooks Illustrated

i was in the mood for popovers last weekend and have not made them in
a few years. I dug into Cooks Illustrated and grabbed a recipe, which
looked to be a basic one (butter, eggs, milk, flour, salt). I used
this ingredient list:

2 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (5 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon unsalted butter , melted
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

They turned out ok tastewise but they really did not pop much at all.
I thought maybe i hadn't heated the popover pan enough or let the
mixture rest long enough so i tried again. Same result.

This weekend, my scale was changed to grams (for whatever reason).
Off the top of my head, i used 125g for 1cup of flour and it turned
out perfect. i double check online for 1cup of flour and get 125g/
4.41 ounces. Ugh! I need to make sure i double check those weight
measurements and/or make sure i remember them well enough in the
future.

-goro-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Goro > wrote:

> i was in the mood for popovers last weekend and have not made them in
> a few years. I dug into Cooks Illustrated and grabbed a recipe, which
> looked to be a basic one (butter, eggs, milk, flour, salt). I used
> this ingredient list:
>
> 2 large eggs
> 1 cup whole milk
> 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (5 ounces)
> 1/2 teaspoon table salt
> 1 tablespoon unsalted butter , melted
> 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
>
> They turned out ok tastewise but they really did not pop much at all.
> I thought maybe i hadn't heated the popover pan enough or let the
> mixture rest long enough so i tried again. Same result.
>
> This weekend, my scale was changed to grams (for whatever reason).
> Off the top of my head, i used 125g for 1cup of flour and it turned
> out perfect. i double check online for 1cup of flour and get 125g/
> 4.41 ounces. Ugh! I need to make sure i double check those weight
> measurements and/or make sure i remember them well enough in the
> future.
>
> -goro-

Here's my recipe and method:
<http://web.me.com/barbschaller/Hangi...ed_Lady/Blahbl
ahblog/Entries/2009/1/9_Popovers!.html> Works a treat.
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 07:53:32 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article
>,
> Goro > wrote:
>
>> i was in the mood for popovers last weekend and have not made them in
>> a few years. I dug into Cooks Illustrated and grabbed a recipe, which
>> looked to be a basic one (butter, eggs, milk, flour, salt). I used
>> this ingredient list:
>>
>> 2 large eggs
>> 1 cup whole milk
>> 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (5 ounces)
>> 1/2 teaspoon table salt
>> 1 tablespoon unsalted butter , melted
>> 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
>>
>> They turned out ok tastewise but they really did not pop much at all.
>> I thought maybe i hadn't heated the popover pan enough or let the
>> mixture rest long enough so i tried again. Same result.
>>
>> This weekend, my scale was changed to grams (for whatever reason).
>> Off the top of my head, i used 125g for 1cup of flour and it turned
>> out perfect. i double check online for 1cup of flour and get 125g/
>> 4.41 ounces. Ugh! I need to make sure i double check those weight
>> measurements and/or make sure i remember them well enough in the
>> future.
>>
>> -goro-

>Here's my recipe and method:
><http://web.me.com/barbschaller/Hangi...ed_Lady/Blahbl
>ahblog/Entries/2009/1/9_Popovers!.html> Works a treat.

Nice! And i love the use of those buttered ramekins. great idea. The
other way i had seen is using muffin pans. I wish i would tried
before i spent the $20 or so on the popover pan.

so you don't pre-heat your ramekins before putting the mixture in?

-goro-
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 22, 7:34*pm, Goro > wrote:

> This weekend, my scale was changed to grams (for whatever reason).
> Off the top of my head, i used 125g for 1cup of flour and it turned
> out perfect. *i double check online for 1cup of flour and get 125g/
> 4.41 ounces. * Ugh! *I need to make sure i double check those weight
> measurements and/or make sure i remember them well enough in the
> future.

Doesn't the weight of flour depend a lot on its moisture content? I
would expect flour to be bone dry in most homes this time of year,
resulting in overuse of flour.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/23/2011 8:53 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Here's my recipe and method:
> <http://web.me.com/barbschaller/Hangi...ed_Lady/Blahbl
> ahblog/Entries/2009/1/9_Popovers!.html> Works a treat.

They look great! What is the full cooking time? I saw the comment about
"after 20 minutes" but they weren't finished yet. I am going to be
trying these. Even if just to serve to others.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goro > wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 07:53:32 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
> >Here's my recipe and method:
> ><http://web.me.com/barbschaller/Hangi...ed_Lady/Blahbl
> >ahblog/Entries/2009/1/9_Popovers!.html> Works a treat.

> Nice! And i love the use of those buttered ramekins.

Thank you. They are old Pyrex custard cups. The only place you'll find
them is in an antique shop, a thrift store, or a garage sale. Present
day ones, if they are even still made are shallower and have a wider
mouth. :-( Try eBay maybe.

> so you don't pre-heat your ramekins before putting the mixture in?

I do not preheat my custard cups before pouring the batter.

--
Barb
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>In article >,
> Goro > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 07:53:32 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:
>> >Here's my recipe and method:
>> ><http://web.me.com/barbschaller/Hangi...ed_Lady/Blahbl
>> >ahblog/Entries/2009/1/9_Popovers!.html> Works a treat.

>> Nice! And i love the use of those buttered ramekins.

>Thank you. They are old Pyrex custard cups. The only place you'll find
>them is in an antique shop, a thrift store, or a garage sale. Present
>day ones, if they are even still made are shallower and have a wider
>mouth. :-( Try eBay maybe.

This is a good source for Pyrex and all sorts of educational/home
economics cookware, etc.:
http://www.enasco.com/Search?q=pyrex&x=9&y=14

>> so you don't pre-heat your ramekins?

>I do not preheat my cups.

Hehe. . . Barb's are no ramekins! LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-01-24, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> This is a good source for Pyrex and all sorts of educational/home
> economics cookware, etc.:
> http://www.enasco.com/Search?q=pyrex&x=9&y=14

Is that the good Pyrex or the Chinese exploding Pyrex?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Has anyone tried the extra-deep silicone pan that looks like it was
made for 6 popovers?

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goro wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 07:53:32 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>> In article
>> >,
>> Goro > wrote:
>>
>>> i was in the mood for popovers last weekend and have not made them in
>>> a few years. I dug into Cooks Illustrated and grabbed a recipe, which
>>> looked to be a basic one (butter, eggs, milk, flour, salt). I used
>>> this ingredient list:
>>>
>>> 2 large eggs
>>> 1 cup whole milk
>>> 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (5 ounces)
>>> 1/2 teaspoon table salt
>>> 1 tablespoon unsalted butter , melted
>>> 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
>>>
>>> They turned out ok tastewise but they really did not pop much at all.
>>> I thought maybe i hadn't heated the popover pan enough or let the
>>> mixture rest long enough so i tried again. Same result.
>>>
>>> This weekend, my scale was changed to grams (for whatever reason).
>>> Off the top of my head, i used 125g for 1cup of flour and it turned
>>> out perfect. i double check online for 1cup of flour and get 125g/
>>> 4.41 ounces. Ugh! I need to make sure i double check those weight
>>> measurements and/or make sure i remember them well enough in the
>>> future.
>>>
>>> -goro-

>> Here's my recipe and method:
>> <http://web.me.com/barbschaller/Hangi...ed_Lady/Blahbl
>> ahblog/Entries/2009/1/9_Popovers!.html> Works a treat.

> Nice! And i love the use of those buttered ramekins. great idea. The
> other way i had seen is using muffin pans. I wish i would tried
> before i spent the $20 or so on the popover pan.
>
> so you don't pre-heat your ramekins before putting the mixture in?
>
> -goro-

Sounds like Barb and I are in agreement re cups and heating. One
other tip I have read--prick the necks of the popovers. I forget
when since I have not made them since I read this. Near the end
of the cooking? When done and put them back in the oven for a
tiny while?

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 11:31*am, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Goro wrote:
> > On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 07:53:32 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > > wrote:

> >> In article

> >> Here's my recipe and method:
> >> <http://web.me.com/barbschaller/Hangi...ed_Lady/Blahbl
> >> ahblog/Entries/2009/1/9_Popovers!.html> * Works a treat.

> > Nice! *And i love the use of those buttered ramekins. *great idea. The
> > other way i had seen is using muffin pans. *I wish i would tried
> > before i spent the $20 or so on the popover pan. *

> > so you don't pre-heat your ramekins before putting the mixture in? *

> > -goro-

> Sounds like Barb and I are in agreement re cups and heating. *One
> other tip I have read--prick the necks of the popovers. *I forget
> when since I have not made them since I read this. *Near the end
> of the cooking? *When done and put them back in the oven for a
> tiny while?
>
> --
> Jean B.

Is that to set the popovers so they don't fall afterwards?

-goro-
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Jean B." >
wrote:

> Goro wrote:
> > On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 07:53:32 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> In article

> >> Here's my recipe and method:
> >> <http://web.me.com/barbschaller/Hangi...ed_Lady/Blahbl
> >> ahblog/Entries/2009/1/9_Popovers!.html> Works a treat.

> > Nice! And i love the use of those buttered ramekins. great idea. The
> > other way i had seen is using muffin pans. I wish i would tried
> > before i spent the $20 or so on the popover pan.
> >
> > so you don't pre-heat your ramekins before putting the mixture in?
> >
> > -goro-

> Sounds like Barb and I are in agreement re cups and heating. One
> other tip I have read--prick the necks of the popovers. I forget
> when since I have not made them since I read this. Near the end
> of the cooking?

:-> Can't do it at the beginning.

> When done and put them back in the oven for a
> tiny while?

That's a common recommendation but I never bother.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Goro > wrote:

> On Jan 24, 11:31*am, "Jean B." > wrote:
> > Goro wrote:
> > > On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 07:53:32 -0600, Melba's Jammin'

> > > Nice! *And i love the use of those buttered ramekins. *great idea. The
> > > other way i had seen is using muffin pans. *I wish i would tried
> > > before i spent the $20 or so on the popover pan. *

> > > so you don't pre-heat your ramekins before putting the mixture in? *

> > > -goro-

> > Sounds like Barb and I are in agreement re cups and heating. *One
> > other tip I have read--prick the necks of the popovers. *I forget
> > when since I have not made them since I read this. *Near the end
> > of the cooking? *When done and put them back in the oven for a
> > tiny while?
> >
> > --
> > Jean B.

> Is that to set the popovers so they don't fall afterwards?
>
> -goro-

I reckon. I've never had one collapse. Ever. And I never slit them.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goro wrote:
> On Jan 24, 11:31 am, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> Goro wrote:
>>> On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 07:53:32 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>>> Nice! And i love the use of those buttered ramekins. great idea. The
>>> other way i had seen is using muffin pans. I wish i would tried
>>> before i spent the $20 or so on the popover pan.
>>> so you don't pre-heat your ramekins before putting the mixture in?
>>> -goro-

>> Sounds like Barb and I are in agreement re cups and heating. One
>> other tip I have read--prick the necks of the popovers. I forget
>> when since I have not made them since I read this. Near the end
>> of the cooking? When done and put them back in the oven for a
>> tiny while?
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> Is that to set the popovers so they don't fall afterwards?
>
> -goro-

It's to release the steam.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, "Jean B." >
> wrote:
>
>> Goro wrote:
>>> On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 07:53:32 -0600, Melba's Jammin'

>>> Nice! And i love the use of those buttered ramekins. great idea. The
>>> other way i had seen is using muffin pans. I wish i would tried
>>> before i spent the $20 or so on the popover pan.
>>>
>>> so you don't pre-heat your ramekins before putting the mixture in?
>>>
>>> -goro-

>> Sounds like Barb and I are in agreement re cups and heating. One
>> other tip I have read--prick the necks of the popovers. I forget
>> when since I have not made them since I read this. Near the end
>> of the cooking?

> :-> Can't do it at the beginning.
>

>> When done and put them back in the oven for a
>> tiny while?

> That's a common recommendation but I never bother.

Seems it can be done with or without putting them back in. The
one odd thing is that I recall my mom's popovers as being a very
dark brown. Mine never are. I suppose it is obvious what one
must do to alter that!

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 12:04*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >, "Jean B." >
> > wrote:

> >> Sounds like Barb and I are in agreement re cups and heating. *One
> >> other tip I have read--prick the necks of the popovers. *I forget
> >> when since I have not made them since I read this. *Near the end
> >> of the cooking? *

> > * *:-> * Can't do it at the beginning. *

> >> When done and put them back in the oven for a
> >> tiny while?

> > That's a common recommendation but I never bother.

> Seems it can be done with or without putting them back in. *The
> one odd thing is that I recall my mom's popovers as being a very
> dark brown. *Mine never are. *I suppose it is obvious what one
> must do to alter that!

Same sort of pan? Shiny metal vs. dark metal vs. glass vs. ceramic?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Jan 24, 12:04 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> :-> Can't do it at the beginning.
>>> That's a common recommendation but I never bother.

>> Seems it can be done with or without putting them back in. The
>> one odd thing is that I recall my mom's popovers as being a very
>> dark brown. Mine never are. I suppose it is obvious what one
>> must do to alter that!
>>

> Same sort of pan? Shiny metal vs. dark metal vs. glass vs. ceramic?

I forget what she used. I do recall I gave her a popover pan late
in the game, but I don't know that I ever had popovers made in
that pan--and I later decided I wanted to do them in custard cups.
I suspect that is what she used, but I just don't know at this
point.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Goro > wrote:
> >
> >> On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 07:53:32 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> >>
> >> Nice! And i love the use of those buttered ramekins.

> >Thank you. They are old Pyrex custard cups. The only place you'll find
> >them is in an antique shop, a thrift store, or a garage sale. Present
> >day ones, if they are even still made are shallower and have a wider
> >mouth. :-( Try eBay maybe.

> This is a good source for Pyrex and all sorts of educational/home
> economics cookware, etc.:
> http://www.enasco.com/Search?q=pyrex&x=9&y=14

Meh. On the page that URL links to, those custard cups look pretty
cool--perfect for popovers. Click on the pic, though, and you get a
different picture, one that is like what they actually are--short and
squat with a large diameter mouth. Not what you want for my popovers.

I just went to my stash of cups and did some measuring. I have
GlasBake, Pyrex, Fire King. I have a couple Pyrex that are 3-1/2"
outside top diameter and 2" outside bottom diameter and 1-1/2" tall.
The tallest of the others is 2-1/2 inches; most are not more than
2-1/32" tall. None has an inside diameter more than 3-1/8", most are
just under 3". Most of mine are 5-ounce cups.

> >> so you don't pre-heat your ramekins?

> >I do not preheat my cups.

> Hehe. . . Barb's are no ramekins! LOL

Hey!!! Justa you never you mind, you prevert! Why, I oughtta. . . .

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goro > wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 07:53:32 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
> >Here's my recipe and method:
> ><http://web.me.com/barbschaller/Hangi...ed_Lady/Blahbl
> >ahblog/Entries/2009/1/9_Popovers!.html> Works a treat.

> Nice! And i love the use of those buttered ramekins. great idea. The
> other way i had seen is using muffin pans. I wish i would tried
> before i spent the $20 or so on the popover pan.

> -goro-

There are a bunch of Pyrex custard cups on eBay. If you want to see
pictures of mine let me know and I can post them on my site. To reply
by email, put a dot between my first and last names.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/24/2011 1:31 PM, Jean B. wrote:
> Sounds like Barb and I are in agreement re cups and heating. One other
> tip I have read--prick the necks of the popovers. I forget when since I
> have not made them since I read this. Near the end of the cooking?
> When done and put them back in the oven for a tiny while?

What part is the neck?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/24/2011 9:29 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> On 1/24/2011 1:31 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>>> Sounds like Barb and I are in agreement re cups and heating.
>>> tip I have read--prick the necks of the popovers.

>> What part is the neck?

> Hehehe... just below the ridge. LOL

I don't know what that means, but apparently I'm missing something very
funny.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
> On 1/24/2011 1:31 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>> Sounds like Barb and I are in agreement re cups and heating. One other
>> tip I have read--prick the necks of the popovers. I forget when since I
>> have not made them since I read this. Near the end of the cooking?
>> When done and put them back in the oven for a tiny while?

> What part is the neck?

The part under the dome?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>Cheryl wrote:
>>>
>>> What part is the neck?

>> Hehehe... just below the ridge. LOL
>>

>I don't know what that means, but apparently I'm missing something very
>funny.

PVC will be by n' by with a clue.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote:
>Cheryl wrote:
>>Jean B. wrote:
>>
>>> Sounds like Barb and I are in agreement re cups and heating. One other
>>> tip I have read--prick the necks of the popovers. I forget when since I
>>> have not made them since I read this. Near the end of the cooking?
>>> When done and put them back in the oven for a tiny while?

>> What part is the neck?

>The part under the dome?

Dome? That's a new one. I always heard it referred to as a helmet...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Jean B." wrote:
>> Cheryl wrote:

>>> What part is the neck?

>> The part under the dome?

> Dome? That's a new one. I always heard it referred to as a helmet...

I didn't know what to call it.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 22:00:15 -0500, Cheryl wrote:

> On 1/24/2011 9:29 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> > wrote:

>>> What part is the neck?

>> Hehehe... just below the ridge. LOL
>>

> I don't know what that means, but apparently I'm missing something very
> funny.

nope. just more of sheldon's fascination with cocks.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 10:51:13 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

>>> Hehehe... just below the ridge. LOL
>>>

>> I don't know what that means, but apparently I'm missing something very
>> funny.

>nope. just more of sheldon's fascination with cocks.
>
>your dimwit mick prick,
>blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 11:10:00 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 10:51:13 -0500, blake murphy
> > wrote:

>>> I don't know what that means, but apparently I'm missing something very
>>> funny.

>>nope. just more of sheldon's fascination with cocks.
>>
>>your dimwit mick prick,
>>blake

again with the cocks. you never quit, do you, sheldon?

blake

Cooks Illustrated scam [email protected] General Cooking 57 12-01-2016 03:32 AM
Cooks Illustrated Web Site Cost sengsational General Cooking 8 11-11-2007 08:34 PM
Cooks Illustrated Chat?? JohnD Baking 1 20-11-2004 07:18 PM
REC: Cooks Illustrated Chili con Carne Bob General Cooking 1 09-11-2004 09:32 PM
Unsolicited Cooks Illustrated books? Richard Kaszeta General Cooking 25 23-09-2004 10:38 PM