Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default disaster pants

So I'll ask a question and hope not to offend.

Raisin Bran. It's good and good for you. I've started eating it
again, and well, as expected, it has its typical um... side effect.
Basically, it gives me gas. Not little girly farts, not 12 year old
boy farts, but the sort of tepid, heavy, rank ones that would require
a whole kennel of dogs to take the blame. If beans were Sonoco Racing
Fuel, raisin bran is nitro methane.

I spend my morning in a classroom, and my work day is 50/50 office and
warehouse. Even though the warehouse is 40K sq ft, it's really
difficult to find an open enough area to light up without harming some
undeserving person. Even if I could just let em fly loud n proud, it
stops being funny after several hours. But I can't anyways... I have
to hold back, and that becomes uncomfortable after awhile.

I've read in other places that when you start eating high fiber stuff,
this can happen, but in a little while your body adjusts to a daily
intake and the wretched buttscreams go away. Well, what if they
don't? Some time ago I ate raisin bran for breakfast every day and i
never really 'got used to it'. I want to say it was along the lines
of 10 to 12 weeks.

Is there something I can eat along with it, like yogurt, or a protein,
or such that would minimize this? I don't think things like "beano"
would work for this, and who wants to take a pill every morning if
they don't have to? I can back down to other cereals, such as grape
nuts or oatmeal, but I don't like them as much, and they still have
most of the same effect.

Thanks and thunder tanks.

-J
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 13, 9:35*pm, phaeton > wrote:
> So I'll ask a question and hope not to offend.
>
> Raisin Bran. *It's good and good for you. *I've started eating it
> again, and well, as expected, it has its typical um... side effect.
> Basically, it gives me gas. *Not little girly farts, not 12 year old
> boy farts, but the sort of tepid, heavy, rank ones that would require
> a whole kennel of dogs to take the blame. *If beans were Sonoco Racing
> Fuel, raisin bran is nitro methane.
>
> I spend my morning in a classroom, and my work day is 50/50 office and
> warehouse. *Even though the warehouse is 40K sq ft, it's really
> difficult to find an open enough area to light up without harming some
> undeserving person. *Even if I could just let em fly loud n proud, it
> stops being funny after several hours. *But I can't anyways... I have
> to hold back, and that becomes uncomfortable after awhile.
>
> I've read in other places that when you start eating high fiber stuff,
> this can happen, but in a little while your body adjusts to a daily
> intake and the wretched buttscreams go away. *Well, what if they
> don't? *Some time ago I ate raisin bran for breakfast every day and i
> never really 'got used to it'. *I want to say it was along the lines
> of 10 to 12 weeks.
>
> Is there something I can eat along with it, like yogurt, or a protein,
> or such that would minimize this? *I don't think things like "beano"
> would work for this, and who wants to take a pill every morning if
> they don't have to? *I can back down to other cereals, such as grape
> nuts or oatmeal, but I don't like them as much, and they still have
> most of the same effect.
>
> Thanks and thunder tanks.

Bleh.....get an old lady and discover the joys of the Dutch Oven.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

projectile vomit chick wrote:
>phaeton <Projectile Farting Chick> wrote:

>> So I'll ask a question and hope not to offend.
>>
>> Raisin Bran. *It's good and good for you. *I've started eating it
>> again, and well, as expected, it has its typical um... side effect.
>> Basically, it gives me gas. *Not little girly farts, not 12 year old
>> boy farts, but the sort of tepid, heavy, rank ones that would require
>> a whole kennel of dogs to take the blame. *If beans were Sonoco Racing
>> Fuel, raisin bran is nitro methane.
>>
>> I spend my morning in a classroom, and my work day is 50/50 office and
>> warehouse. *Even though the warehouse is 40K sq ft, it's really
>> difficult to find an open enough area to light up without harming some
>> undeserving person. *Even if I could just let em fly loud n proud, it
>> stops being funny after several hours. *But I can't anyways... I have
>> to hold back, and that becomes uncomfortable after awhile.
>>
>> I've read in other places that when you start eating high fiber stuff,
>> this can happen, but in a little while your body adjusts to a daily
>> intake and the wretched buttscreams go away. *Well, what if they
>> don't? *Some time ago I ate raisin bran for breakfast every day and i
>> never really 'got used to it'. *I want to say it was along the lines
>> of 10 to 12 weeks.
>>
>> Is there something I can eat along with it, like yogurt, or a protein,
>> or such that would minimize this? *I don't think things like "beano"
>> would work for this, and who wants to take a pill every morning if
>> they don't have to? *I can back down to other cereals, such as grape
>> nuts or oatmeal, but I don't like them as much, and they still have
>> most of the same effect.
>>
>> Thanks and thunder tanks.

>Bleh.....get an old lady and discover the joys of the Dutch Oven.

Somehow I knew you'd be a first responder. LOL

For most healthy people a high fiber diet reduces flatulance...
excessive and excessively odiferousness is usually the result of a low
fiber high protein diet, and/or a blockage.

Raisin Bran is really not a very high fiber cereal, and the type of
fiber it contains is pretty tame... are you eating the entire box at
once... I mean the actual cardboard packaging? LOL

Those symptoms as described are indicative of a medical problem (maybe
serious), see a Gastrointestinologist.