Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default flavored oil

I'd never bought flavored oil before I bought some garlic EVOO. The
bottle is almost finished and I'm wondering now if I can make it
safely at home. Does anyone know how I would do it? Would I simmer
garlic cloves in the oil and then remove them to store the oil?

I have a rosemary plant... is it possible to make rosemary infused oil
at home or is botulism a problem with that too?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 16:53:32 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> wrote:

> If you use a sterilized storage container I've
> read that you make keep the refrigerated product up to a week. It has to
> be well strained.

Thanks Michael! That's not long enough to make it worth doing. I
guess I'll just continue to buy commercial or make my own and use it
immediately.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 16:53:32 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" wrote:
>

>>If you use a sterilized storage container I've
>>read that you make keep the refrigerated product up to a week. It has to
>>be well strained.

> Thanks Michael! That's not long enough to make it worth doing. I
> guess I'll just continue to buy commercial or make my own and use it
> immediately.

I stopped trying to keep garlic oil around as i couldn't use it fast
enough or made such small amounts it ran out too quickly.

Now days i take a stick of butter when i buy a pound, let it soften,
mash up a large clove of garlic to a fine paste and mix with the
softened butter and let sit for at least a day before i start to use it.

WOrks very well for a bit of flavor, makes garlic bread quick and easy,
good as a dab on steamed veggies or with rice and don't spoil or sit
around and not get used

Escoffier calls for 7 ounces of garlic to 9 ounces of butter but 1 large
clove in about 4 ounces of butter seems about perfect to me.
--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 7, 6:41*am, sf > wrote:
> I'd never bought flavored oil before I bought some garlic EVOO. *The
> bottle is almost finished and I'm wondering now if I can make it
> safely at home. *Does anyone know how I would do it? *Would I simmer
> garlic cloves in the oil and then remove them to store the oil?
>
> I have a rosemary plant... is it possible to make rosemary infused oil
> at home or is botulism a problem with that too?
>
> --
>
> Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Yes, you simmer then remove the cloves.No issues with the rosemary
tho...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 10:30:56 -0800 (PST), merryb >
wrote:

> On Jan 7, 6:41*am, sf > wrote:
> > I'd never bought flavored oil before I bought some garlic EVOO. *The
> > bottle is almost finished and I'm wondering now if I can make it
> > safely at home. *Does anyone know how I would do it? *Would I simmer
> > garlic cloves in the oil and then remove them to store the oil?
> >
> > I have a rosemary plant... is it possible to make rosemary infused oil
> > at home or is botulism a problem with that too?
> >

> Yes, you simmer then remove the cloves.No issues with the rosemary
> tho...

I'm going to take your word for it merryb, mainly because you're still
posting to rfc.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07 Jan 2011 20:57:59 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> Yep, that's the way to do it. I used to buy a flavored oil at
> Balducci's in Greenwich Village. It was one that Balducci's made
> themselves, and I asked the basics of how it was made. Their reply
> was to simmer a large quantity of garlic cloves in olive oil until
> fragrant and tender, then strain well to remove all of the garlic.
> After that whole springs of several different fresh herbs, including
> rosemary, were briefly simmered in the oil. The herbs remained in
> the oil when it was bottled. After that brief lesson I made my own.
> I always stored it in the fridge, but it could be kept for quite a
> long time.

Fabulous! Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael \"Dog3\" > wrote:

>sf > : in

>> I'd never bought flavored oil before I bought some garlic EVOO. The
>> bottle is almost finished and I'm wondering now if I can make it
>> safely at home. Does anyone know how I would do it? Would I simmer
>> garlic cloves in the oil and then remove them to store the oil?

>> I have a rosemary plant... is it possible to make rosemary infused oil
>> at home or is botulism a problem with that too?

>Barb, IIRC the last time I made infused oils, (I've made both rosemary and
>garlic) I immediately refrigerated them. I made no more than I could use
>up in a day or at most, 2. Now that was storing it in a regular,
>unsterilized container. If you use a sterilized storage container I've
>read that you make keep the refrigerated product up to a week. It has to
>be well strained.

There's not much risk, but the risk is botulism so either steer
clear entirely or be uber careful.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> Michael \"Dog3\" > wrote:
>
> >sf > : in

> >> I'd never bought flavored oil before I bought some garlic EVOO. The
> >> bottle is almost finished and I'm wondering now if I can make it
> >> safely at home. Does anyone know how I would do it? Would I simmer
> >> garlic cloves in the oil and then remove them to store the oil?

> >> I have a rosemary plant... is it possible to make rosemary infused oil
> >> at home or is botulism a problem with that too?

> >Barb, IIRC the last time I made infused oils, (I've made both rosemary and
> >garlic) I immediately refrigerated them. I made no more than I could use
> >up in a day or at most, 2. Now that was storing it in a regular,
> >unsterilized container. If you use a sterilized storage container I've
> >read that you make keep the refrigerated product up to a week. It has to
> >be well strained.

> There's not much risk, but the risk is botulism so either steer
> clear entirely or be uber careful.
>
> Steve

Free BoTox!