Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Barb......help.

Remember a while back I told you about my friend who married a man
from Minnesota and when she went with him to visit family she was
amazed cause she didn't know what hot dish was?

Well, she said she wants some hot dish recipes to make for him.

I know you said you have some on your blog, but I couldn't find a
recipe index.

Can you point me to your favorite hot dish recipes???

thanks!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags > wrote in

..com:

> Remember a while back I told you about my friend who married a
> man from Minnesota and when she went with him to visit family
> she was amazed cause she didn't know what hot dish was?
>
> Well, she said she wants some hot dish recipes to make for
> him.
>
> I know you said you have some on your blog, but I couldn't
> find a recipe index.
>
> Can you point me to your favorite hot dish recipes???
>
> thanks!!!

Isn't a 'hot dish' recipe pretty much the same as a casserole
recipe? If so... here are some:
http://allrecipes.com//Recipes/main-...role/Main.aspx
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 29, 3:26*pm, Melba's Jammin' >

Thanks! You're the best.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote
> ImStillMags wrote:

>> Remember a while back I told you about my friend who married a man
>> from Minnesota and when she went with him to visit family she was
>> amazed cause she didn't know what hot dish was?

>> Well, she said she wants some hot dish recipes to make for him.

> Only if you both refrain from any smarmy remarks. Here are four.

Grin, classic recipes! A simple time and a simple recipe. They don't over
fancify it there or it changes name from 'hot dish' to something else.

Here's another, almost too fancy to be 'hot dish'.

Ground beef and turkey mixed with sage and black pepper. Wrap this fairly
well around a tater tot. Bake on trays until 'meatballs' are done (slightly
crisping). Make a big batch of brown gravy. Add meatballs and bring to the
party. Some versions use a few of the meatball filling as cheese so you get
a mix and match and others wrap a bit of cheese sliced thin about the tater
tot before the meat.

A simple slice of Americana. Not fancy, just home.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cshenk" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" wrote
> > ImStillMags wrote:

> >> Remember a while back I told you about my friend who married a man
> >> from Minnesota and when she went with him to visit family she was
> >> amazed cause she didn't know what hot dish was?

> >> Well, she said she wants some hot dish recipes to make for him.

> > Only if you both refrain from any smarmy remarks. Here are four.

> Grin, classic recipes! A simple time and a simple recipe. They don't over
> fancify it there or it changes name from 'hot dish' to something else.

I think about farm families with many mouths to feed and not much money
with which to do it. Mom may well have been working in the fields, too,
and needed to put food in the bellies with a minimum of fuss and fixing.
Like it or no, a can of this and a can of that, (or a pint of this or
that from the cellar stores) and a can of Cream of Glop to bind it all
together could be it or could be a big part of it. She did the best
she could with what she knew and with what was available to her. And if
it was palatable to those at table, the daughters would be asking for
the recipe when they had their own kitchens and families. The Circle of
Life. <grin> Hakuna matata. The beat goes on.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
ImStillMags > wrote:

> On Dec 29, 3:26*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
>
> Thanks! You're the best.

Heh! Here's a read for her:
<http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Cooki...ter-Tot-Hotdis
h-m515821.aspx>

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> I think about farm families with many mouths to feed and not much money
> with which to do it. Mom may well have been working in the fields, too,
> and needed to put food in the bellies with a minimum of fuss and fixing.
> Like it or no, a can of this and a can of that, (or a pint of this or
> that from the cellar stores) and a can of Cream of Glop to bind it all
> together could be it or could be a big part of it. She did the best
> she could with what she knew and with what was available to her.

And that's the story of the cuisine of every country in the world. It's
only very recently that whole populations are rich enough that everyone eats
at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > I think about farm families with many mouths to feed and not much money
> > with which to do it. Mom may well have been working in the fields, too,
> > and needed to put food in the bellies with a minimum of fuss and fixing.
> > Like it or no, a can of this and a can of that, (or a pint of this or
> > that from the cellar stores) and a can of Cream of Glop to bind it all
> > together could be it or could be a big part of it. She did the best
> > she could with what she knew and with what was available to her.

> And that's the story of the cuisine of every country in the world. It's
> only very recently that whole populations are rich enough that everyone eats
> at all.

So many foods our ancestors (say, in the last 75-100 years) ate may not
have been particularly healthful by today's standards, but they were so
much more physically active that it didn't matter so much. JMO, of
course. I am not a dietitian nor a nutritionist nor a medical
researcher. (And that's a generic Mom in my post above, though it
could have been my own mother, too.)

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/29/2010 4:51 PM, sandi wrote:
> Isn't a 'hot dish' recipe pretty much the same as a casserole
> recipe? If so... here are some:
> http://allrecipes.com//Recipes/main-...role/Main.aspx

The first time I ever heard of a Hot Dish, was in this newsgroup. It
sounds interesting. Last night I was watching something on Food TV, and
they were talking about a Horseshoe. They were in Springfield, Missouri
and each restaurant in town has their own versions of the Horseshoe. It
is meat, with a pile of french fries poured on top, then a cheese sauce
is ladled over everything. The first photo they showed, looked like
food scraps, it did not look appetizing. I am guessing it tastes better
than it looks.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2010 12:08 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> "Melba's > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> I think about farm families with many mouths to feed and not much money
>>> with which to do it. Mom may well have been working in the fields, too,
>>> and needed to put food in the bellies with a minimum of fuss and fixing.
>>> Like it or no, a can of this and a can of that, (or a pint of this or
>>> that from the cellar stores) and a can of Cream of Glop to bind it all
>>> together could be it or could be a big part of it. She did the best
>>> she could with what she knew and with what was available to her.

>> And that's the story of the cuisine of every country in the world. It's
>> only very recently that whole populations are rich enough that everyone eats
>> at all.

> So many foods our ancestors (say, in the last 75-100 years) ate may not
> have been particularly healthful by today's standards, but they were so
> much more physically active that it didn't matter so much. JMO, of
> course. I am not a dietitian nor a nutritionist nor a medical
> researcher. (And that's a generic Mom in my post above, though it
> could have been my own mother, too.)

My great grandma swore by coffee with cornbread and bacon grease in it
in the mornings, so I can vouch for your statement.

Blech.
--
Currently Reading: Falling Free by Lois McMaster Bujold

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> I think about farm families with many mouths to feed and not much
> money with which to do it. Mom may well have been working in the
> fields, too, and needed to put food in the bellies with a minimum of
> fuss and fixing. Like it or no, a can of this and a can of that, (or
> a pint of this or that from the cellar stores) and a can of Cream of
> Glop to bind it all together could be it or could be a big part of it.
> She did the best she could with what she knew and with what was
> available to her. And if it was palatable to those at table, the
> daughters would be asking for the recipe when they had their own
> kitchens and families. The Circle of Life. <grin> Hakuna matata.
> The beat goes on.

One of my enduring memories of food growing up was the
"throwitalltogether" dishes my Mum made. She was not in the fields, but
she was chronically ill and often didn't feel that good or have much
energy. And the 70s was the era of convenience foods. My dad didn't earn
a lot, so budget meals were the standard.

She would throw some onion in the electric frying pan, then add beef
mince (ground beef), and then open the cupboard. What did we have - a
can of borlotti or kidney beans, a can of tomatoes, some worcestershire
sauce. Open the freezer, some corn or peas.

Sometimes pasta or rice was added.

I don't remember it ever tasting bad :-)

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

not MO but IL is the home of the horseshoe.

I saw one before i lost my sight, looks like food that has been eaten
before... some however do taste good... the horse shoe or pony shoe has
designated layers but each layer has several options, and not one resturant
has the same configuration, great for kids on vacation, Lee
"Ema Nymton" > wrote in message
> On 12/29/2010 4:51 PM, sandi wrote:
>> Isn't a 'hot dish' recipe pretty much the same as a casserole
>> recipe? If so... here are some:
>> http://allrecipes.com//Recipes/main-...role/Main.aspx

> The first time I ever heard of a Hot Dish, was in this newsgroup. It
> sounds interesting. Last night I was watching something on Food TV, and
> they were talking about a Horseshoe. They were in Springfield, Missouri
> and each restaurant in town has their own versions of the Horseshoe. It
> is meat, with a pile of french fries poured on top, then a cheese sauce is
> ladled over everything. The first photo they showed, looked like food
> scraps, it did not look appetizing. I am guessing it tastes better than
> it looks.
>
> Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Storrmmee" > wrote in
:

> not MO but IL is the home of the horseshoe.
>
> I saw one before i lost my sight, looks like food that has been eaten
> before... some however do taste good... the horse shoe or pony shoe has
> designated layers but each layer has several options, and not one
> resturant has the same configuration, great for kids on vacation, Lee
> "Ema Nymton" > wrote in message
>> On 12/29/2010 4:51 PM, sandi wrote:
>>> Isn't a 'hot dish' recipe pretty much the same as a casserole
>>> recipe? If so... here are some:
>>> http://allrecipes.com//Recipes/main-...role/Main.aspx

>> The first time I ever heard of a Hot Dish, was in this newsgroup. It
>> sounds interesting. Last night I was watching something on Food TV,
>> and they were talking about a Horseshoe. They were in Springfield,
>> Missouri and each restaurant in town has their own versions of the
>> Horseshoe. It is meat, with a pile of french fries poured on top, then
>> a cheese sauce is ladled over everything. The first photo they showed,
>> looked like food scraps, it did not look appetizing. I am guessing it
>> tastes better than it looks.
>>
>> Becca

I couldn't think of anything more disgusting!!!!

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

"The joys of the table belong equally to all ages, conditions, countries
and times; they mix with all other pleasures, and remain the last to
console us for their loss."
Jean Antheleme Brillet-Savarin,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Aussie#1 > wrote:

>> "Ema Nymton" > wrote in message

>>> and they were talking about a Horseshoe. They were in Springfield,
>>> Missouri and each restaurant in town has their own versions of the
>>> Horseshoe. It is meat, with a pile of french fries poured on top, then
>>> a cheese sauce is ladled over everything. The first photo they showed,
>>> looked like food scraps, it did not look appetizing. I am guessing it
>>> tastes better than it looks.

Halfway between a garbage plate, and a poutine. Or simply a
meat-containing poutine, with cheese sauce substituted for curd cheese.
You can get those in Montreal.

Should be good, if made fresh.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Aussie#1 wrote:

> I couldn't think of anything more disgusting!!!!

Don't read your own posts eh?

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

some really are tastey if you can get past what it looks like, Lee
"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Aussie#1 > wrote:

> Halfway between a garbage plate, and a poutine. Or simply a
> meat-containing poutine, with cheese sauce substituted for curd cheese.
> You can get those in Montreal.
>
> Should be good, if made fresh.
>
> Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 07:12:12 GMT, "Aussie#1"

:

>> not MO but IL is the home of the horseshoe.
>>
>> I saw one before i lost my sight, looks like food that has been eaten
>> before... some however do taste good... the horse shoe or pony shoe has
>> designated layers but each layer has several options, and not one
>> resturant has the same configuration, great for kids on vacation, Lee
>>>
>>> The first time I ever heard of a Hot Dish, was in this newsgroup. It
>>> sounds interesting. Last night I was watching something on Food TV,
>>> and they were talking about a Horseshoe. They were in Springfield,
>>> Missouri and each restaurant in town has their own versions of the
>>> Horseshoe. It is meat, with a pile of french fries poured on top, then
>>> a cheese sauce is ladled over everything. The first photo they showed,
>>> looked like food scraps, it did not look appetizing. I am guessing it
>>> tastes better than it looks.
>>>
>>> Becca

>I couldn't think of anything more disgusting!!!!

You don't own a mirror?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> each restaurant in town has their own versions of the Horseshoe. It is
> meat, with a pile of french fries poured on top, then a cheese sauce is
> ladled over everything.

Sounds like poutine with the layers shuffled.

Horseshoe is:

Cheese
Fries
Meat/gravy

Poutine is:

Meat/gravy
Cheese
Fries

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/14/2011 2:10 AM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Becca wrote:
>
>> each restaurant in town has their own versions of the Horseshoe. It is
>> meat, with a pile of french fries poured on top, then a cheese sauce is
>> ladled over everything.

> Sounds like poutine with the layers shuffled.
>
> Horseshoe is:
>
> Cheese
> Fries
> Meat/gravy
>

> Poutine is:
>
> Meat/gravy
> Cheese
> Fries

It doesn't sound much different from one of the only fast food dishes I
like. KFC Famous Bowl with breaded chicken, gravy, corn, cheese and
mashed potatoes. Comfort food.

By the way, spell check wants to change your name to belligerent.

Barb??? Anyone Else??? Mimi[_2_] Preserving 21 14-06-2011 03:48 PM
I saw Barb! gloria.p General Cooking 105 15-11-2010 12:17 AM
Say It Isn't So, Barb! Terry Pulliam Burd[_3_] General Cooking 3 23-11-2007 10:11 PM
Barb!!! Help please!! RMiller General Cooking 15 30-07-2004 05:41 AM
Barb's Brownies failures ain't Barb's fault! Felice Friese General Cooking 5 06-06-2004 07:46 PM