Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fresh turkey in freezer or not?

We got a fresh turkey from Tescos last Monday (20 December) that's two days
ago and put it in our tin shed in north london. The temperatures here have
been pretty low 3 or 4 C or so maximum. (We bought early because supplies
were having difficulty in getting through because of the snow).

But by the time we cook it on Saturday that's going to be five days sitting
there. The weather is still expected to be no warmer than about 3 or 4 C for
the next few days.

Is five days a bit long? Would we better putting it in the fridge or
freezer, or is it ok where it is until Saturday? Grateful for advice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 22, 4:03*am, "john brooks" > wrote:
> We got a fresh turkey from Tescos last Monday (20 December) that's two days
> ago and put it in our tin shed in north london. The temperatures here have
> been pretty low 3 or 4 C or so maximum. (We bought early because supplies
> were having difficulty in getting through because of the snow).
>
> But by the time we cook it on Saturday *that's going to be five days sitting
> there. The weather is still expected to be no warmer than about 3 or 4 C for
> the next few days.
>
> Is five days a bit long? Would we better putting it in the fridge or
> freezer, or is it ok where it is until Saturday? * *Grateful for advice.

Here in the US, "fresh" can mean "previously frozen," in the case of
poultry (don't know about other proteins). According to the
conversion chart, 4 C. is 39 F. Out of the 5 days you will have had
it, it would take most of one day to freeze it, and likely several
days to thaw it in the refrigerator (depending on how big it is). I
think refrigerator temps run right around what your shed temp is, so
I'd probably leave it out there (maybe covered with a thick blanket,
in the event the sun comes out and warms things up) until cooking
time.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/12/2010 5:03 AM, john brooks wrote:
> We got a fresh turkey from Tescos last Monday (20 December) that's two days
> ago and put it in our tin shed in north london. The temperatures here have
> been pretty low 3 or 4 C or so maximum. (We bought early because supplies
> were having difficulty in getting through because of the snow).
>
> But by the time we cook it on Saturday that's going to be five days sitting
> there. The weather is still expected to be no warmer than about 3 or 4 C for
> the next few days.
>
> Is five days a bit long? Would we better putting it in the fridge or
> freezer, or is it ok where it is until Saturday? Grateful for advice.

Fresh turkeys should be used within two days. We have pushed that with
the butchers recommendation that we open the plastic bag. Five days is
really pushing it. It is too late to freeze it. It will take two days
to though it (in the fridge) and will probably take as long to freeze.
to be on the safe side...... cook it now and serve it cold.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 10:03:45 -0000, "john brooks"
> wrote:

>We got a fresh turkey from Tescos last Monday (20 December) that's two days
>ago and put it in our tin shed in north london. The temperatures here have
>been pretty low 3 or 4 C or so maximum. (We bought early because supplies
>were having difficulty in getting through because of the snow).
>
>But by the time we cook it on Saturday that's going to be five days sitting
>there. The weather is still expected to be no warmer than about 3 or 4 C for
>the next few days.
>
>Is five days a bit long? Would we better putting it in the fridge or
>freezer, or is it ok where it is until Saturday? Grateful for advice.

Play it safe and put it in your fridge. Freezing makes it no longer a
fresh turkey, and it's not recommended to freeze a packaged fresh
turkey, it wasn't properly prepared for freezing nor can most folks
properly freeze it, you'd need to flash freeze it. There should be a
cook-by date on the packaging of a fresh turkey, five days is near the
limit.

http://www.butterball.com/product/fresh-whole-turkey

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 10:03:45 -0000, "john brooks"
> wrote:

> We got a fresh turkey from Tescos last Monday (20 December) that's two days
> ago and put it in our tin shed in north london. The temperatures here have
> been pretty low 3 or 4 C or so maximum. (We bought early because supplies
> were having difficulty in getting through because of the snow).
>
> But by the time we cook it on Saturday that's going to be five days sitting
> there. The weather is still expected to be no warmer than about 3 or 4 C for
> the next few days.
>
> Is five days a bit long? Would we better putting it in the fridge or
> freezer, or is it ok where it is until Saturday? Grateful for advice.

Have you looked at that turkey since you put it in the shed? It's
probably hard as a rock. If it is, it'll be fine - but you'll also
need to give it some time to thaw out.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" wrote in message

>I notice you like to argue with responses but you never answer
>requests directly... responding obliquely is the sign of an idiot, a
>coward, and a liar.

Speaking of liars.......
brooklyn1" > wrote in message

Another noobie POS... wouldn't realize that Penmart and Brooklyn are
two entirely different Sheldons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 18:55:29 -0500, "Rumford" > wrote:

> Another noobie POS... wouldn't realize that Penmart and Brooklyn are
> two entirely different Sheldons.

Who are you and why would anyone care about what you have to say?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote in message
>Who are you and why would anyone care about what you have to say?

I'm the guy who likes to remind Sheldumb what a liar he is. A proven
documented liar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 07:48:47 -0500, Rumford wrote:

> "sf" wrote in message
>>Who are you and why would anyone care about what you have to say?

> I'm the guy who likes to remind Sheldumb what a liar he is. A proven
> documented liar.

and idiot.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" wrote in message

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 07:48:47 -0500, Rumford wrote:

> "sf" wrote in message
>>Who are you and why would anyone care about what you have to say?

> I'm the guy who likes to remind Sheldumb what a liar he is. A proven
> documented liar.

and idiot.

your pal,
blake

Documenting Sheldumb's idiocy would be an endless endeavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Play it safe and put it in your fridge. *Freezing makes it no longer a
> fresh turkey, and it's not recommended to freeze a packaged fresh
> turkey, it wasn't properly prepared for freezing nor can most folks
> properly freeze it, you'd need to flash freeze it. *There should be a
> cook-by date on the packaging of a fresh turkey, five days is near the
> limit.
>
> http://www.butterball.com/product/fresh-whole-turkey

FYI, Brooksie, most "fresh" poultry in your supermarket today has been
frozen or is still partially frozen when you buy it, unless it's a
locally-raised bird, and some of those are, too. The FDA has said
it's o.k. to label them "fresh." So, once it's thawed, even if thawed
in the supermarket refrigerators, it shouldn't be frozen again by any
method before cooking.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message

>> Play it safe and put it in your fridge. Freezing makes it no longer a
>> fresh turkey, and it's not recommended to freeze a packaged fresh
>> turkey, it wasn't properly prepared for freezing nor can most folks
>> properly freeze it, you'd need to flash freeze it. There should be a
>> cook-by date on the packaging of a fresh turkey, five days is near the
>> limit.
>>
>> http://www.butterball.com/product/fresh-whole-turkey

> FYI, Brooksie, most "fresh" poultry in your supermarket today has been
> frozen or is still partially frozen when you buy it, unless it's a
> locally-raised bird, and some of those are, too. The FDA has said
> it's o.k. to label them "fresh." So, once it's thawed, even if thawed
> in the supermarket refrigerators, it shouldn't be frozen again by any
> method before cooking.

Anything already frozen here is stated... ie.. DO NOT REFREEZE!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/