Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default INDUCTION HOB AND TEMPERATURE CONTROL

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 06:57:18 -0800 (PST), zydecogary
> wrote:

>INDUCTION HOB AND TEMPERATURE CONTROL

Thanks -- lots of interesting information.

But if induction hobs were going to be that compliucated to use, I
wouldn't bother.

BTW, I started with that same Wolfgang Puck unit. It's still as good
as anything, except that you can now get 1800 watt units for the same
price.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 5, 3:57*pm, wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 06:57:18 -0800 (PST), zydecogary
>
> > wrote:
> >INDUCTION HOB AND TEMPERATURE CONTROL

> Thanks -- lots of interesting information.
>
> But if induction hobs were going to be that compliucated to use, I
> wouldn't bother.
>
> BTW, I started with that same Wolfgang Puck unit. It's still as good
> as anything, except that you can now get 1800 watt units for the same
> price.
>
> -- Larry

I agree -- watching water boil is complicated and challenging. (Tee
Hee) ;-)

The water experiments were just a demonstration for those who were
really unfamiliar with their units and were presented for them to
better see what was happening as the unit began to operate. In my
usage, I really have not had any problems with temperature control
that is not easily managed.

As you and I know, induction cooking is really simple -- in fact
easier than a normal stove top; be it gas or electric coil. You set
the power or the temperature (and a timer if you want) as you turn it
on and you have all the speed, safety and electricity saving available
immediately.

Yes, I have seen the 1800 watt units, and for me, it might be
overkill. I rarely use the 1400 watts I have available now. I would
imagine if I were often using a very large stock pot I would sing a
different tune, But as I am generally cooking for one and use smaller
containers (except for my great big wok), I don't need the super
power, that is, unless I am missing something.

Other than more power for bigger pots, I do wonder what those $600 to
$1200 single hob units (not built ins) do that our $70 to $120 units
don't. I have read that some have a feature of auto-adjusting to the
size of the pot that is placed upon it (activating only that portion
of the copper coil that would really be used to excite the utensil.)
With the built in, there are lots of other features such as "place a
pot anywhere" and "automatic adjustment to shape of pot, pan or large
griddle under-surface", features that I can admire, but that I don't
really need.

It is also interesting to watch the cooking channel and the food
network and discover the increased use of induction hobs that is
creeping in -- especially in the shows that visit restaurant kitchens.
Not too much is made of the fact that induction cooking is going on,
probably because most of America is in the dark about induction
cooking and wouldn't know what they are talking about on the show.
Europe and Asia have taken the lead on this one. Talk about being
'greener.'

The same with Sous-vide cooking. Most would say "What ?????????" Yet
some of the finest restaurants (and even the not so 'finest') use Sous-
vide for some of their food preparation. This evening I prepared some
chicken using the Sous-vide method. I am experimenting with that too.
Next I will use it for various fish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide

http://amath.colorado.edu/~baldwind/sous-vide.html

Ain't cooking FUN! Tomorrow -- Shabu-Shabu.

Gary

Induction Stovetop With Temperature Control W General Cooking 32 11-03-2015 02:12 AM
Temperature Control Tom Kunich Winemaking 7 22-02-2011 02:52 AM
temperature control on chargriller duo skeeter Barbecue 23 25-04-2008 09:24 PM
temperature control Lou Winemaking 7 20-09-2006 07:42 PM
Question about oven temperature control Dick Adams Sourdough 4 16-07-2005 06:35 PM