Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Boy I'm glad X-giving is over

"/dev/phaeton" > wrote in message
news:alpine.BSF.2.00.1011280703260.1287@death-star...
> Sorry folks, but I've never been a fan of Turkey Day. I can appreciate
> the part about getting all the family together and stuff, but since I
> don't have any nearby, I guess that part is lost.
>
> Otherwise, I'm not huge on turkey, cranberry gel or yams. Never really
> liked these things. Ham is fine, stuffing is fine, the green bean glop is
> ok.
>

> Next up, Christmas. I'll be much happier when that one is over with also.
>

> Meanwhile... happy cooking!

I don't like ham at all. Can tolerate turkey but wouldn't go out of my way
for it. Do not like yams or stuffing and can live without cranberry sauce.
Had the green bean casserole twice in my life and although I did like it
would never make it again. I just don't think it's a healthy dish. I do
love green beans though!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 07:03:50 -0600, /dev/phaeton
> wrote:

> Sorry folks, but I've never been a fan of Turkey Day. I can appreciate
> the part about getting all the family together and stuff, but since I
> don't have any nearby, I guess that part is lost.
>
> Otherwise, I'm not huge on turkey, cranberry gel or yams. Never really
> liked these things. Ham is fine, stuffing is fine, the green bean glop is
> ok.
>

> Next up, Christmas. I'll be much happier when that one is over with also.

Do you enjoy *any* holiday?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 28, 1:31*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "/dev/phaeton" > wrote in message

> > Sorry folks, but I've never been a fan of Turkey Day. *I can appreciate
> > the part about getting all the family together and stuff, but since I
> > don't have any nearby, I guess that part is lost.

> > Otherwise, I'm not huge on turkey, cranberry gel or yams. *Never really
> > liked these things. *Ham is fine, stuffing is fine, the green bean glop is
> > ok.

Cranberry gel? You mean that canned crap?

> I don't like ham at all. *

One of the few non-organ meats I really don't care for too.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 07:03:50 -0600, /dev/phaeton wrote:

> Sorry folks, but I've never been a fan of Turkey Day. I can appreciate
> the part about getting all the family together and stuff, but since I
> don't have any nearby, I guess that part is lost.
>
> Otherwise, I'm not huge on turkey, cranberry gel or yams. Never really
> liked these things. Ham is fine, stuffing is fine, the green bean glop is
> ok.
>
> Next up, Christmas. I'll be much happier when that one is over with also.

dear lord, yes. i'm dreading the first time i hear 'little drummer boy' at
the grocery store.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 07:03:50 -0600, /dev/phaeton wrote:
>
>> Sorry folks, but I've never been a fan of Turkey Day. I can appreciate
>> the part about getting all the family together and stuff, but since I
>> don't have any nearby, I guess that part is lost.
>>
>> Otherwise, I'm not huge on turkey, cranberry gel or yams. Never really
>> liked these things. Ham is fine, stuffing is fine, the green bean glop
>> is
>> ok.
>>
>> Next up, Christmas. I'll be much happier when that one is over with
>> also.
>>

> dear lord, yes. i'm dreading the first time i hear 'little drummer boy'
> at
> the grocery store.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Haven't been in the stores much since Labor Day, have you Blake? They've
been inserting the 'Holiday' music into the rotations since then, now it's
just getting ramped up to full time.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> dear lord, yes. *i'm dreading the first time i hear 'little drummer boy' at
> the grocery store.

The ones I hate the worst (and thank goodness for the mute button) is
the TV ads when they take Christmas songs and change the lyrics in
favor of a commercial jingle for Best Buy or Walmart.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 10:09:19 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 07:03:50 -0600, /dev/phaeton wrote:
>
> > Sorry folks, but I've never been a fan of Turkey Day. I can appreciate
> > the part about getting all the family together and stuff, but since I
> > don't have any nearby, I guess that part is lost.
> >
> > Otherwise, I'm not huge on turkey, cranberry gel or yams. Never really
> > liked these things. Ham is fine, stuffing is fine, the green bean glop is
> > ok.
> >
> > Next up, Christmas. I'll be much happier when that one is over with also.
> >

> dear lord, yes. i'm dreading the first time i hear 'little drummer boy' at
> the grocery store.

I can see you two are a real joy around the holidays.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 10:48:26 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

> Haven't been in the stores much since Labor Day, have you Blake? They've
> been inserting the 'Holiday' music into the rotations since then, now it's
> just getting ramped up to full time.

The grocery stores I shop in didn't, thank god.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
>/dev/phaeton wrote:
>
>> Sorry folks, but I've never been a fan of Turkey Day. I can appreciate
>> the part about getting all the family together and stuff, but since I
>> don't have any nearby, I guess that part is lost.
>>
>> Otherwise, I'm not huge on turkey, cranberry gel or yams. Never really
>> liked these things. Ham is fine, stuffing is fine, the green bean glop is
>> ok.
>>
>> Next up, Christmas. I'll be much happier when that one is over with also.

>dear lord, yes. i'm dreading the first time i hear 'little drummer boy' at
>the grocery store.

Don't you mean The Dance of The Sugar Plum Faeries...

by your
Ball Buster Sweetski

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 07:03:50 -0600, /dev/phaeton wrote:
>
>> Sorry folks, but I've never been a fan of Turkey Day. I can appreciate
>> the part about getting all the family together and stuff, but since I
>> don't have any nearby, I guess that part is lost.
>>
>> Otherwise, I'm not huge on turkey, cranberry gel or yams. Never really
>> liked these things. Ham is fine, stuffing is fine, the green bean glop
>> is
>> ok.
>>
>> Next up, Christmas. I'll be much happier when that one is over with
>> also.
>>

> dear lord, yes. i'm dreading the first time i hear 'little drummer boy'
> at
> the grocery store.

I can not stand most Christmas music. There are a few of the more modern
songs that don't bother me. But that music does not put me in a festive
mood!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 10:51:49 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I can not stand most Christmas music. There are a few of the more modern
> songs that don't bother me. But that music does not put me in a festive
> mood!

I like Christmas music, but I don't shop on a daily basis either. I
managed not to go into any store (other than grocery) before xmas last
year, but I plan to this year.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 10:51:49 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I can not stand most Christmas music. There are a few of the more modern
>> songs that don't bother me. But that music does not put me in a festive
>> mood!

> I like Christmas music, but I don't shop on a daily basis either. I
> managed not to go into any store (other than grocery) before xmas last
> year, but I plan to this year.

We went to the Target in Woodinville today. It was not bad at all. No
crowds in the aisles and we didn't have to wait in line. I am pretty much
done with my Christmas shopping for the people who live here. I did order
some things for my MIL that I will ship to her. She is in a nursing home so
I have to label anything I send to her or it will grow legs and walk off.
Shipping is just sooo high now. Mostly I will be shipping things direct
from Costco. There is one very young person who will be getting something
from Hannah Andersen (sp?) and the older kids will be getting personalized
Visa cards. It is just too difficult to shop for people you haven't seen in
years, especially when they are kids and teens. The things that are popular
here in WA might not be popular in PA. Plus I don't know what they have
already.

I really did need to stop at Costco but just couldn't bring myself to do it.
They get massively busy this time of year and if they have any extra help,
it doesn't show. I might go there one day during the week while my daughter
is in dance class. I will probably just make the one trip between now and
Christmas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 19:56:34 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 10:51:49 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I can not stand most Christmas music. There are a few of the more modern
>>> songs that don't bother me. But that music does not put me in a festive
>>> mood!

>> I like Christmas music, but I don't shop on a daily basis either. I
>> managed not to go into any store (other than grocery) before xmas last
>> year, but I plan to this year.

>We went to the Target in Woodinville today. It was not bad at all. No
>crowds in the aisles and we didn't have to wait in line. I am pretty much
>done with my Christmas shopping for the people who live here. I did order
>some things for my MIL that I will ship to her. She is in a nursing home so
>I have to label anything I send to her or it will grow legs and walk off.
>Shipping is just sooo high now. Mostly I will be shipping things direct
>from Costco. There is one very young person who will be getting something
>from Hannah Andersen (sp?) and the older kids will be getting personalized
>Visa cards. It is just too difficult to shop for people you haven't seen in
>years, especially when they are kids and teens. The things that are popular
>here in WA might not be popular in PA. Plus I don't know what they have
>already.

Gift certificates are always appreciated.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 10:38:37 -0500, Mr. Bill wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 10:09:19 -0500, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>dear lord, yes. i'm dreading the first time i hear 'little drummer boy' at
>>the grocery store.

> Guessing you didn't go to the grocery last Wednesday!

i thought i was smart by going on monday. the store was still crowded.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 10:48:26 -0500, Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 07:03:50 -0600, /dev/phaeton wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry folks, but I've never been a fan of Turkey Day. I can appreciate
>>> the part about getting all the family together and stuff, but since I
>>> don't have any nearby, I guess that part is lost.
>>>
>>> Otherwise, I'm not huge on turkey, cranberry gel or yams. Never really
>>> liked these things. Ham is fine, stuffing is fine, the green bean glop
>>> is
>>> ok.
>>>
>>> Next up, Christmas. I'll be much happier when that one is over with
>>> also.
>>>

>> dear lord, yes. i'm dreading the first time i hear 'little drummer boy'
>> at
>> the grocery store.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Haven't been in the stores much since Labor Day, have you Blake? They've
> been inserting the 'Holiday' music into the rotations since then, now it's
> just getting ramped up to full time.
> -ginny

dear god.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> I don't like ham at all. Can tolerate turkey but wouldn't go out of my
> way for it. Do not like yams or stuffing and can live without cranberry
> sauce. Had the green bean casserole twice in my life and although I did
> like it would never make it again. I just don't think it's a healthy
> dish. I do love green beans though!

As a kid, I hated the cylindrical cranberry sauce in a can. I've found that
the stuff I make from fresh berries to be much more to my taste, although
I'm still not a huge fan.

Brian
--
Day 663 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project.
Current music playing: None.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2010 8:02 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> "Default > wrote:
>
>> "Julie > wrote in message
>>
>>> I don't like ham at all. Can tolerate turkey but wouldn't go out of my
>>> way for it. Do not like yams or stuffing and can live without cranberry
>>> sauce. Had the green bean casserole twice in my life and although I did
>>> like it would never make it again. I just don't think it's a healthy
>>> dish. I do love green beans though!

>> As a kid, I hated the cylindrical cranberry sauce in a can. I've found that
>> the stuff I make from fresh berries to be much more to my taste, although
>> I'm still not a huge fan.
>>

>> Brian

> Have you tried a cranberry orange sauce yet? I added a little lemon
> zest and some Tangerine to this years. :-)

That is so good.

I made my homemade batch this year, but instead of 1/2 a cup of splenda
sugar like I usually use, I used real sugar. So I learned that they
don't equal at all and had very tart sauce. The package of splenda
sugar lies.

--
Currently reading: The Chalice by Phil Rickman and The Walking Dead vol 3
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2010 8:49 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>>> Have you tried a cranberry orange sauce yet? I added a little lemon
>>> zest and some Tangerine to this years. :-)

>> That is so good.
>>
>> I made my homemade batch this year, but instead of 1/2 a cup of splenda
>> sugar like I usually use, I used real sugar. So I learned that they
>> don't equal at all and had very tart sauce. The package of splenda
>> sugar lies.

> I used splenda packets! 1 packet per 1/2 cup worked great.<g>
> I've not trusted the scoop stuff yet. I have some in the pantry I'd
> intended to use for canning but have not gotten around to it yet.
>
> Forgot to mention, I also added a few shots of Brandy to this years
> batch just for grins... You can barely taste it tho'.

That's too bad, would have been interesting!

I spiked the pecan pie with rum :-) hee.

--
Currently reading: The Chalice by Phil Rickman and The Walking Dead vol 3
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Default User" > wrote:
>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> > I don't like ham at all. Can tolerate turkey but wouldn't go out of my
>> > way for it. Do not like yams or stuffing and can live without
>> > cranberry
>> > sauce. Had the green bean casserole twice in my life and although I did
>> > like it would never make it again. I just don't think it's a healthy
>> > dish. I do love green beans though!

>> As a kid, I hated the cylindrical cranberry sauce in a can. I've found
>> that
>> the stuff I make from fresh berries to be much more to my taste, although
>> I'm still not a huge fan.

> Have you tried a cranberry orange sauce yet? I added a little lemon
> zest and some Tangerine to this years. :-)

My recipe includes the zest and juice of one orange.

Brian
--
Day 663 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project.
Current music playing: None.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> In article >,
> ravenlynne > wrote:
>

>> I spiked the pecan pie with rum :-) hee.

I put Southern Comfort in mine. Nice flavor but too sweet.
Next time I may try adding grated orange rind.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 09:45:21 -0800, sf > arranged
random neurons and said:

>On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 10:09:19 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

>> > Next up, Christmas. I'll be much happier when that one is over with also.
>> >

>> dear lord, yes. i'm dreading the first time i hear 'little drummer boy' at
>> the grocery store.
>>

>I can see you two are a real joy around the holidays.

Aw, come on, you gotta admit the stores go way, way over the top with
Christmas music. It's a wonder to me that shop clerks haven't
committed mass suicide by Christmas Eve. I don't so much mind "Little
Drummer Boy," but just a few notes of Alvin and the
Chipmunks...aaaiiyyeeee!!!

The only brick and mortar store I can be found in between Thanksgiving
and New Year's Day is a grocery store. And I've finished my Christmas
shopping <smirk!> Now, if I could just get someone to do the
wrapping!

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 19:56:34 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"sf" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 10:51:49 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> I like Christmas music, but I don't shop on a daily basis either. I
>>> managed not to go into any store (other than grocery) before xmas last
>>> year, but I plan to this year.

>>We went to the Target in Woodinville today. It was not bad at all. No
>>crowds in the aisles and we didn't have to wait in line. I am pretty much
>>done with my Christmas shopping for the people who live here. I did order
>>some things for my MIL that I will ship to her. She is in a nursing home
>>so
>>I have to label anything I send to her or it will grow legs and walk off.
>>Shipping is just sooo high now. Mostly I will be shipping things direct
>>from Costco. There is one very young person who will be getting something
>>from Hannah Andersen (sp?) and the older kids will be getting personalized
>>Visa cards. It is just too difficult to shop for people you haven't seen
>>in
>>years, especially when they are kids and teens. The things that are
>>popular
>>here in WA might not be popular in PA. Plus I don't know what they have
>>already.

> Gift certificates are always appreciated.

No not always. I have gotten them for stores I do not like. I don't know
what stores are near them. I have not been there for a good 6 years and
things could have changed since then. Plus it is hard with kids and teens
to know where they would want to shop.

My daughter got several gift certificates to a store that sells mainly
cheaply made earrings. There was really nothing she wanted in there. She
got another one for clothing for tweens, which she is, but they only come in
kid's sizes. She has been wearing adult sizes for a couple of years now.
She's tall. So while she saw a lot of things that she liked in that store,
they wouldn't fit her. So she was very disappointed. She also received a
Toys R Us gift card only to discover that she is really too old for most of
what they sell. She reluctantly bought some pairs of socks that came in
adult size. They didn't have very many. She still has a balance on that
card. I told her she might have to just buy something there and donate it
to one of the giving trees around here. Alas the only tree that we saw
seemed to be filled with tags for older kids who wanted things like cameras
and Itunes cards. Not toys.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Default User" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> I don't like ham at all. Can tolerate turkey but wouldn't go out of my
>> way for it. Do not like yams or stuffing and can live without cranberry
>> sauce. Had the green bean casserole twice in my life and although I did
>> like it would never make it again. I just don't think it's a healthy
>> dish. I do love green beans though!

> As a kid, I hated the cylindrical cranberry sauce in a can. I've found
> that the stuff I make from fresh berries to be much more to my taste,
> although I'm still not a huge fan.

I didn't mind that sauce in the can provided it was whole berry. I did NOT
like my mom's homemade sauce. But I'd much rather just eat plain
unsweetened cranberries either fresh or dried.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Default User" > wrote:
>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> > I don't like ham at all. Can tolerate turkey but wouldn't go out of my
>> > way for it. Do not like yams or stuffing and can live without
>> > cranberry
>> > sauce. Had the green bean casserole twice in my life and although I did
>> > like it would never make it again. I just don't think it's a healthy
>> > dish. I do love green beans though!

>> As a kid, I hated the cylindrical cranberry sauce in a can. I've found
>> that
>> the stuff I make from fresh berries to be much more to my taste, although
>> I'm still not a huge fan.
>>

>> Brian

> Have you tried a cranberry orange sauce yet? I added a little lemon
> zest and some Tangerine to this years. :-)

I make cranberry salad. I chop the berries in the food processor then add
enough Splenda to sweeten to taste. You can use sugar if not watching your
carbs. I then chop up a bunch of celery. That is added to the berries
along with pecan halves and plenty of orange zest. You can also add chopped
oranges to this if not watching your carbs. To stick it all together I use
just the minimum amount of sugar free orange Jell-O. I don't really like
Jell-O which is why I use so little. Everyone likes it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/28/2010 5:56 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> We went to the Target in Woodinville today. It was not bad at all. No
> crowds in the aisles and we didn't have to wait in line. I am pretty much
> done with my Christmas shopping for the people who live here. I did order
> some things for my MIL that I will ship to her. She is in a nursing home so
> I have to label anything I send to her or it will grow legs and walk off.
> Shipping is just sooo high now. Mostly I will be shipping things direct
> from Costco. There is one very young person who will be getting something
> from Hannah Andersen (sp?) and the older kids will be getting personalized
> Visa cards. It is just too difficult to shop for people you haven't seen in
> years, especially when they are kids and teens. The things that are popular
> here in WA might not be popular in PA. Plus I don't know what they have
> already.

We went to the Target in Woodinville on Friday. It was a nice, clean
store. I got a thermal shirt for $10 - what a deal. After that, we went
to the Sushi Connection restaurant nearby. That place was not too bad.
Washington is a nice but cold and wet and icy place. It was good to get
back to this rock in the middle of nowhere. It's 1:20 AM and I got my AC
on. :-)

> I really did need to stop at Costco but just couldn't bring myself to do it.
> They get massively busy this time of year and if they have any extra help,
> it doesn't show. I might go there one day during the week while my daughter
> is in dance class. I will probably just make the one trip between now and
> Christmas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 19:56:34 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 10:51:49 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I can not stand most Christmas music. There are a few of the more modern
>>> songs that don't bother me. But that music does not put me in a festive
>>> mood!

>> I like Christmas music, but I don't shop on a daily basis either. I
>> managed not to go into any store (other than grocery) before xmas last
>> year, but I plan to this year.

>We went to the Target in Woodinville today. It was not bad at all. No
>crowds in the aisles and we didn't have to wait in line. I am pretty much
>done with my Christmas shopping for the people who live here. I did order
>some things for my MIL that I will ship to her. She is in a nursing home so
>I have to label anything I send to her or it will grow legs and walk off.
>Shipping is just sooo high now. Mostly I will be shipping things direct
>from Costco. There is one very young person who will be getting something
>from Hannah Andersen (sp?) and the older kids will be getting personalized
>Visa cards. It is just too difficult to shop for people you haven't seen in
>years, especially when they are kids and teens. The things that are popular
>here in WA might not be popular in PA. Plus I don't know what they have
>already.
>
>I really did need to stop at Costco but just couldn't bring myself to do it.
>They get massively busy this time of year and if they have any extra help,
>it doesn't show. I might go there one day during the week while my daughter
>is in dance class. I will probably just make the one trip between now and
>Christmas.

We went to Costco on Saturday afternoon. They had workers at every
register. A line developed at the exit and in a couple of minutes an
additional person was added at the door and the line disappeared in
minutes.

On our way home, which is about 40 miles, we counted 198 Christmas
trees tied to the tops of cars coming from the mountains. That did
not include the truck with at least 50.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 19:49:07 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> ravenlynne > wrote:
>
>> > Have you tried a cranberry orange sauce yet? I added a little lemon
>> > zest and some Tangerine to this years. :-)

>> That is so good.
>>
>> I made my homemade batch this year, but instead of 1/2 a cup of splenda
>> sugar like I usually use, I used real sugar. So I learned that they
>> don't equal at all and had very tart sauce. The package of splenda
>> sugar lies.

>I used splenda packets! 1 packet per 1/2 cup worked great. <g>
>I've not trusted the scoop stuff yet. I have some in the pantry I'd
>intended to use for canning but have not gotten around to it yet.

The packets stand a better chance of accuracy. I have a bag of
Splenda that has hung out in the pantry for a while & crystals are
pretty fragile. Hmmmm-- what's the net weight on a '1/2 cup
packet'. I'll bet this is a good time to use that digital scale.

Hmmmm--- I get 14grams per 1/2 cup off the top. and 15gms if I
take it off the bottom of a barely used bag.

I was looking on the Splenda site and can't find packets bigger than 2
tsp equivalent-- but I do see that they say 1/2C Splenda blend = 1 cup
of sugar. Didn't it used to be 1:1?

>Forgot to mention, I also added a few shots of Brandy to this years
>batch just for grins... You can barely taste it tho'.

I used Evan Williams Honey to sweeten mine. Emirel said 'port' &
I was wondering what I was going to sub for it & the EW Honey was the
first thing I saw that I really liked.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/30/2010 8:53 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> I was looking on the Splenda site and can't find packets bigger than 2
> tsp equivalent-- but I do see that they say 1/2C Splenda blend = 1 cup
> of sugar. Didn't it used to be 1:1?

It did...that's why I messed up my cran sauce. I assumed it was the
same measurement.

--
Currently reading: The Chalice by Phil Rickman and The Walking Dead vol 3
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 11/28/2010 5:56 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> We went to the Target in Woodinville today. It was not bad at all. No
>> crowds in the aisles and we didn't have to wait in line. I am pretty
>> much
>> done with my Christmas shopping for the people who live here. I did
>> order
>> some things for my MIL that I will ship to her. She is in a nursing home
>> so
>> I have to label anything I send to her or it will grow legs and walk off.
>> Shipping is just sooo high now. Mostly I will be shipping things direct
>> from Costco. There is one very young person who will be getting
>> something
>> from Hannah Andersen (sp?) and the older kids will be getting
>> personalized
>> Visa cards. It is just too difficult to shop for people you haven't seen
>> in
>> years, especially when they are kids and teens. The things that are
>> popular
>> here in WA might not be popular in PA. Plus I don't know what they have
>> already.

> We went to the Target in Woodinville on Friday. It was a nice, clean
> store. I got a thermal shirt for $10 - what a deal. After that, we went to
> the Sushi Connection restaurant nearby. That place was not too bad.
> Washington is a nice but cold and wet and icy place. It was good to get
> back to this rock in the middle of nowhere. It's 1:20 AM and I got my AC
> on. :-)

I must say that was a freak storm. It's not usually icy here this time of
year. But it is wet though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 19:56:34 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"sf" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 10:51:49 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> I like Christmas music, but I don't shop on a daily basis either. I
>>> managed not to go into any store (other than grocery) before xmas last
>>> year, but I plan to this year.

>>We went to the Target in Woodinville today. It was not bad at all. No
>>crowds in the aisles and we didn't have to wait in line. I am pretty much
>>done with my Christmas shopping for the people who live here. I did order
>>some things for my MIL that I will ship to her. She is in a nursing home
>>so
>>I have to label anything I send to her or it will grow legs and walk off.
>>Shipping is just sooo high now. Mostly I will be shipping things direct
>>from Costco. There is one very young person who will be getting something
>>from Hannah Andersen (sp?) and the older kids will be getting personalized
>>Visa cards. It is just too difficult to shop for people you haven't seen
>>in
>>years, especially when they are kids and teens. The things that are
>>popular
>>here in WA might not be popular in PA. Plus I don't know what they have
>>already.
>>
>>I really did need to stop at Costco but just couldn't bring myself to do
>>it.
>>They get massively busy this time of year and if they have any extra help,
>>it doesn't show. I might go there one day during the week while my
>>daughter
>>is in dance class. I will probably just make the one trip between now and
>>Christmas.
>>

> We went to Costco on Saturday afternoon. They had workers at every
> register. A line developed at the exit and in a couple of minutes an
> additional person was added at the door and the line disappeared in
> minutes.
>
> On our way home, which is about 40 miles, we counted 198 Christmas
> trees tied to the tops of cars coming from the mountains. That did
> not include the truck with at least 50.

I have not seen too many trees. But then people are so green here they
probably mostly put up artificial ones.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 11:50:09 -0500, blake murphy wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 10:48:26 -0500, Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

>>> dear lord, yes. i'm dreading the first time i hear 'little drummer boy'
>>> at
>>> the grocery store.
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake

>> Haven't been in the stores much since Labor Day, have you Blake? They've
>> been inserting the 'Holiday' music into the rotations since then, now it's
>> just getting ramped up to full time.
>> -ginny

> dear god.
>
> your pal,
> blake

y'all put the jinx on me - i heard christmas music at the grocery
yesterday. at least one of them was brenda lee's 'rockin' around the
christmas tree,' which i actually like. no dreaded LDB yet.

ypb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 21:26:54 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 09:45:21 -0800, sf > arranged
> random neurons and said:

>>> dear lord, yes. i'm dreading the first time i hear 'little drummer boy' at
>>> the grocery store.
>>>

>>I can see you two are a real joy around the holidays.

> Aw, come on, you gotta admit the stores go way, way over the top with
> Christmas music. It's a wonder to me that shop clerks haven't
> committed mass suicide by Christmas Eve. I don't so much mind "Little
> Drummer Boy," but just a few notes of Alvin and the
> Chipmunks...aaaiiyyeeee!!!

exactly. the same ****ing songs over and over every year that weren't all
that good to begin with.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/30/2010 5:28 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> On 11/28/2010 5:56 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> We went to the Target in Woodinville today. It was not bad at all. No
>>> crowds in the aisles and we didn't have to wait in line. I am pretty
>>> much
>>> done with my Christmas shopping for the people who live here. I did
>>> order
>>> some things for my MIL that I will ship to her. She is in a nursing home
>>> so
>>> I have to label anything I send to her or it will grow legs and walk off.
>>> Shipping is just sooo high now. Mostly I will be shipping things direct
>>> from Costco. There is one very young person who will be getting
>>> something
>>> from Hannah Andersen (sp?) and the older kids will be getting
>>> personalized
>>> Visa cards. It is just too difficult to shop for people you haven't seen
>>> in
>>> years, especially when they are kids and teens. The things that are
>>> popular
>>> here in WA might not be popular in PA. Plus I don't know what they have
>>> already.

>> We went to the Target in Woodinville on Friday. It was a nice, clean
>> store. I got a thermal shirt for $10 - what a deal. After that, we went to
>> the Sushi Connection restaurant nearby. That place was not too bad.
>> Washington is a nice but cold and wet and icy place. It was good to get
>> back to this rock in the middle of nowhere. It's 1:20 AM and I got my AC
>> on. :-)

> I must say that was a freak storm. It's not usually icy here this time of
> year. But it is wet though.

That's what we were told. We lived in WA about 20 years ago and it never
got like that. OTOH, WA was in a long term drought during that time.
OTOH, the year before we got to WA, there was a really big snow storm. I
think that was in 86. Glad we missed that one. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I have not seen too many trees. But then people are so green here they
> probably mostly put up artificial ones.

There's nothing 'green' about artificial trees, they are a
petro-chemical product, made with power generated from burning fuel,
mostly made in China and then more fuel used to ship them.

Cut live trees are farmed, for every tree sold the farmer plants at
least two more trees.

The greenest way to have a decorated tree is to have one growing in
your yard.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 11/30/2010 5:28 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> We went to the Target in Woodinville on Friday. It was a nice, clean
>>> store. I got a thermal shirt for $10 - what a deal. After that, we went
>>> the Sushi Connection restaurant nearby. That place was not too bad.
>>> Washington is a nice but cold and wet and icy place. It was good to get
>>> back to this rock in the middle of nowhere. It's 1:20 AM and I got my AC
>>> on. :-)

>> I must say that was a freak storm. It's not usually icy here this time
>> of
>> year. But it is wet though.

> That's what we were told. We lived in WA about 20 years ago and it never
> got like that. OTOH, WA was in a long term drought during that time. OTOH,
> the year before we got to WA, there was a really big snow storm. I think
> that was in 86. Glad we missed that one. :-)

The worst snow I remember was two years ago. We got hit hard, were snowed
in, then able to get out for one day to stock up on food and things and got
snowed in again. We wern't able to do Christmas until New Year's Eve!

I do remember a bad storm in the 80's but can't remember the exact year. I
lived a short distance from work. Not close enough for me to walk, but
close enough that it wasn't a bad drive. Until one day. There was so much
snow, people were getting stuck in the parking lot. A lot of people were
stuck there for the night. My friend (also a coworker) offered her house to
several of us for the night. We were working at a store. I bought things
like a toothbrush and paste and some fresh undies, socks and a winter scarf.
I didn't think to buy any food. We didn't sell a lot of food but we did
have things like chips, pickles and candy. We also had a deli and cafeteria
where I could have gotten food to go but I didn't think about that.

The walk was horrid! Snow up to our knees. We'd take one step forward and
slide three steps backwards. There was slippery ice under the snow. We
could not see anything but white. Didn't know if we were walking in the
street, on the sidewalk or in the ditch. Abandoned buses and cars
everywhere.

Finally got to her house, frozen. My friend offered us hot toddies but no
food. No food for breakfast either. We got to work late the following
morning. Nobody thought to buy an alarm and my friend didn't wake us up in
time. They were having a meeting in the cafeteria and the boss said it was
too late for us to buy food from the cafeteria. So we went hungry.

The worst part was that during the night, a cat was yowling. One of the
managers was sharing a bed with me and we both decided we should let Mary's
cat in. Which we did. The cat slept in the bed with us. The next morning,
Mary said she didn't have a cat. Oops!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> I have not seen too many trees. But then people are so green here they
>> probably mostly put up artificial ones.

> Tsk! Christmas trees are FARMED! There is no sin in purchasing real
> ones, and most cities have tree shredding to make compost!
>
> I had a live Norfolk pine for 3 years, but the poor thing finally died
> last winter. :-( They are hard to keep alive in this climate and I've
> no sunny spot in the house to keep one indoors.
>
> Plus houseplants do not fare so well with cats and many are toxic.

True but a lot of people are here consider it a bad thing to cut them down.
For a while the trend was to get live trees to be planted later. But I
suppose one can only get so many of those!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>> I have not seen too many trees. But then people are so green here they
>> probably mostly put up artificial ones.

> There's nothing 'green' about artificial trees, they are a
> petro-chemical product, made with power generated from burning fuel,
> mostly made in China and then more fuel used to ship them.
>
> Cut live trees are farmed, for every tree sold the farmer plants at
> least two more trees.
>
> The greenest way to have a decorated tree is to have one growing in
> your yard.

True. I also know people who use a large houseplant as a tree.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/30/2010 1:41 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> The worst snow I remember was two years ago. We got hit hard, were snowed
> in, then able to get out for one day to stock up on food and things and got
> snowed in again. We wern't able to do Christmas until New Year's Eve!
>
> I do remember a bad storm in the 80's but can't remember the exact year. I
> lived a short distance from work. Not close enough for me to walk, but
> close enough that it wasn't a bad drive. Until one day. There was so much
> snow, people were getting stuck in the parking lot. A lot of people were
> stuck there for the night. My friend (also a coworker) offered her house to
> several of us for the night. We were working at a store. I bought things
> like a toothbrush and paste and some fresh undies, socks and a winter scarf.
> I didn't think to buy any food. We didn't sell a lot of food but we did
> have things like chips, pickles and candy. We also had a deli and cafeteria
> where I could have gotten food to go but I didn't think about that.
>
> The walk was horrid! Snow up to our knees. We'd take one step forward and
> slide three steps backwards. There was slippery ice under the snow. We
> could not see anything but white. Didn't know if we were walking in the
> street, on the sidewalk or in the ditch. Abandoned buses and cars
> everywhere.
>
> Finally got to her house, frozen. My friend offered us hot toddies but no
> food. No food for breakfast either. We got to work late the following
> morning. Nobody thought to buy an alarm and my friend didn't wake us up in
> time. They were having a meeting in the cafeteria and the boss said it was
> too late for us to buy food from the cafeteria. So we went hungry.
>
> The worst part was that during the night, a cat was yowling. One of the
> managers was sharing a bed with me and we both decided we should let Mary's
> cat in. Which we did. The cat slept in the bed with us. The next morning,
> Mary said she didn't have a cat. Oops!

I pretty much had my fill of snow, although, not like you! The landscape
did look like some kind of magical enchanted land but that cold is a
real bitch. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 21:04:21 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

> In article >,
> Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>
> > >Hey I like the idea of adding Port! I'm betting a nice cream Sherry
> > >would work too.

> > The Savory & James would have been my next choice-- It holds its own
> > against Harvey's.
> >
> > Jim

> I'll have to look for that, thanks! Harvey's is the standard of
> perfection. :-)

You don't have to spend that much on cooking sherry, Om. Less
expensive ones, like Gallo, work just fine. No point in flushing your
money away unless you can afford to wipe your ass with dollar bills.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Glad today is almost over notbob[_5_] General Cooking 11 19-05-2011 09:18 AM
glad I keep those gift tins Kalmia General Cooking 15 22-12-2009 06:16 PM
Need Glad Ovenware 8 x 8 Scott General Cooking 2 14-05-2005 11:23 PM
Glad Ovenware Scott General Cooking 1 07-05-2005 11:32 PM
Glad and Reynolds jmcquown General Cooking 19 05-12-2003 12:51 AM